Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Hateful lovely people, there are plenty of those under retirement age. Their tune might change when the first mortgage bill comes in with a $600 insurance premium they didn't expect though.

that's a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

been posted earlier in this thread but the real estate subreddit is replete with people who moved to Texas to escape Commiefornia's high taxes, built a house on unimproved land, and were surprised to see their tax bill triple.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Taima posted:

I am really involved in meteorology and weather/climate and feel like I have a really good grasp on how climate change is going to affect different areas. When I look at the housing landscape, the best move to me looks like going up to the great lakes region, like Michigan? And buying a small home there, if possible, if you can make a living there.

Michigan is in a great place for climate change, but is still pretty cheap compared to national averages at least.

At some point, something really bad will happen with climate change that causes people to wake up and realize that they need to go somewhere that will have a decent quality of life 20 years from now.

That's, imo, the best chance possible for people to upwardly mobilize. One of the LAST chances to do so, imo. It's a long game, for sure, but once climate flight really begins, demand for housing in climate-advantaged regions will go through the roof.

Not really a play that will pay off tomorrow, but something that could easily set you up for retirement. The average American is firmly in the denial stage on climate science, but the science is clear. And you can get a seriously appreciating asset out of previously less desirable regions if you play your cards right.

Climate change will seriously shift the valuation of regional housing and imo, people who aren't thinking in that direction right now are going to get hosed, even if it's paying off at the moment.

I wanted to move to MI for this exact reason, but this was shot down because too cold. Hopefully Maryland is ok....

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Personal Edition

Enables a single user to run an IBM Z® distribution on a personal computer.
Starting at
$5,980.00*
per user per year

holy gently caress :eyepop:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Hateful lovely people, there are plenty of those under retirement age. Their tune might change when the first mortgage bill comes in with a $600 insurance premium they didn't expect though.

If they can find a homeowners insurance provider.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

In Training posted:

idk full details but I remember this aside from Blackshirts & Reds.

that was the most impressive part of that hbo chernobyl show. everyone was freaking out about the accident, im looking at the screen like, this guaranteed employment thing seems pretty great, same thing with all the hospital scenes, nobodys being hit up for insurance info lol

thats like the first thing they do in an american ER, come talk to you about billing

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Beached Whale posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of local insurance agencies went bankrupt due to fraudulent lawsuits thanks to their state supreme court being very plaintiff friendly in property claims litigation, which is scaring off the other insurers. Like most things in Florida the problem is entirely manmade and extremely stupid. Good excuse to get ahead of the climate change apocalypse that's coming as an added bonus.

This is lowkey the most depressing thread in the 'spam because it's all manmade. We can't control covid or climate, but we have full control over our economic systems. We just choose not to.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

This is lowkey the most depressing thread in the 'spam because it's all manmade. We can't control covid or climate, but we have full control over our economic systems. We just choose not to.

we choose not to because choices are caused by the economic system rather than the other way around.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

we choose not to for the glory of the number

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

meat factories are like that scene in the wall but irl

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yes but the understanding that we have full control of our economy was thoroughly ground out of us throughout the 20th century so now we all beg the machine god for mercy.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The home user can't install it and pick it up on their own time like they can with python or whatever*, and companies expect all new employees to show up fully trained nowadays.

(* unless IBM has some new home licensing stuff they didn't have when I had to use z/OS).

coincidentally just in the last week or so I discovered and poked around a bit with this as a curiosity: https://ibmzxplore.influitive.com/

to your point though, every single mainframe job wants people with a decade or more of experience. otherwise it seems like a very reliable field to get into because it'll never go away. the dev processes are probably glacial due to obvious reasons which in some ways isn't so bad either.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

skooma512 posted:

I wanted to move to MI for this exact reason, but this was shot down because too cold. Hopefully Maryland is ok....

How far are you above sea level? I'm at 500'

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

been posted earlier in this thread but the real estate subreddit is replete with people who moved to Texas to escape Commiefornia's high taxes, built a house on unimproved land, and were surprised to see their tax bill triple.

CA Homeowners are literally landed gentry who are incapable of recognizing their own advantages.

It's kinda funny that a lot of them probably gave up property with a tax basis set in the 1990s(that can never go up and which they can transfer) in order to move to Texas.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love getting a first phone screen set up and then completely ghosted, no call or follow up to an email checking in

i had another second interview earlier which i think i might have bombed. starting to believe i'm a bad interviewer though and i can't fix my hosed up brain

edit: lol it went over almost an hour and they didn't have the courtesy to email me until now

triple sulk has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Aug 11, 2023

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
The economy is going great! This will be my third fall season in a row unemployed, and I know nobody is going to hire until January.

I started at this place in February as contract to hire, they laid off my boss then told me I could apply for the job but they were opening it up to other candidates.
So I interviewed for the job I was already doing with people I was already working with, but they hired someone else who could be in the office 5 days a week - I was commuting 100 miles round trip 2 days a week because I needed the job.

So now I'm back unemployed again, except my first born is due in three weeks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

AvesPKS posted:

How far are you above sea level? I'm at 500'

We haven't moved yet. I'm going to be looking very closely at FEMA and topographic maps

and then looking forward to all that research being for nothing when my concerns are overridden because it's not convenient to work within those parameters and probably not affordable to live in a survivable part :v:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

triple sulk posted:

love getting a first phone screen set up and then completely ghosted, no call or follow up to an email checking in

i had another second interview earlier which i think i might have bombed. starting to believe i'm a bad interviewer though and i can't fix my hosed up brain

edit: lol it went over almost an hour and they didn't have the courtesy to email me until now

My wife had an interview scheduled with t-mobile, the interview was cancelled with the requisition put on ice then a month later cancelled. I asked a friend who works there what’s going on and apparently they’ve been told promotions are scarce and will be for awhile because they are top heavy. They’re also making bank but doing a $60 billion stock buyback, wonder if that’s at all related :thunk:.

My wife was offered a job a few weeks ago there but the pay was poo poo and the role wouldn’t have any growth apparently so she wanted this more senior role. Their CEO is a piece of poo poo, gotta maximize shareholder earnings.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Glumwheels posted:

My wife had an interview scheduled with t-mobile, the interview was cancelled with the requisition put on ice then a month later cancelled. I asked a friend who works there what’s going on and apparently they’ve been told promotions are scarce and will be for awhile because they are top heavy. They’re also making bank but doing a $60 billion stock buyback, wonder if that’s at all related :thunk:.

My wife was offered a job a few weeks ago there but the pay was poo poo and the role wouldn’t have any growth apparently so she wanted this more senior role. Their CEO is a piece of poo poo, gotta maximize shareholder earnings.

i've had some more hits lately due to changing methods of finding postings but even then it's poo poo like "actually we're about to hire someone for this though i still wanted to talk to you" or "actually the job needs Y instead of X which is posted"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

The government will find an excuse to take the good land and give it to the rich people. There is no winning.

If you have enough money to speculate on land purchases based on events in coming decades then you are the sort of person the government will protect.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

triple sulk posted:

coincidentally just in the last week or so I discovered and poked around a bit with this as a curiosity: https://ibmzxplore.influitive.com/

to your point though, every single mainframe job wants people with a decade or more of experience. otherwise it seems like a very reliable field to get into because it'll never go away. the dev processes are probably glacial due to obvious reasons which in some ways isn't so bad either.

This is what I hate somewhat the most about the tech industry. You're either a 6-10 year veteran and qualify for senior roles, or you're entry level and qualify for nothing. There's no middle and no mentoring or training, you show up knowing the system better than the people there or you're the equivelent of a new grad. Skills are not transferable, you worked on the Thingmaster 4000, we require experience in the Thingmaster 7000 Plus.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

easy solution. federal homeowners insurance program that makes people whole when their house sinks/burns down.... but you cannot rebuild on the property once it goes

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i've had some more hits lately due to changing methods of finding postings but even then it's poo poo like "actually we're about to hire someone for this though i still wanted to talk to you" or "actually the job needs Y instead of X which is posted"

Yeah this happened to my wife too, told her she needs to apply as soon as it is posted because give it a week or two and they may have met their candidate quota. A lot of jobs she applies for have over a hundred applicants and recruiters are overworked and most are terrible at it.

She’s definitely extremely experienced and qualified with 14 years at her current company but she’s going after director level roles which are few and far between.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

skooma512 posted:

This is what I hate somewhat the most about the tech industry. You're either a 6-10 year veteran and qualify for senior roles, or you're entry level and qualify for nothing. There's no middle and no mentoring or training, you show up knowing the system better than the people there or you're the equivelent of a new grad. Skills are not transferable, you worked on the Thingmaster 4000, we require experience in the Thingmaster 7000 Plus.

i'm very much a generalist and i work better in the actual job where i can absorb information and talk to colleagues. i'm poo poo at interviews and i don't know what i can do to get any better. i don't think it's that people dislike me personally, it's just that i think in a very roundabout way and i can't seem to fix it no matter how hard i try.

i have a general product area i've worked in and i can get interviews for jobs within or very close to said area, but the competition is so fierce right now that it's hard to get that far into a process. at the same time it's impossible to get into another product area (e.g. healthcare) because again there are plenty of people with experience in it who are looking for work as well.

Glumwheels posted:

Yeah this happened to my wife too, told her she needs to apply as soon as it is posted because give it a week or two and they may have met their candidate quota. A lot of jobs she applies for have over a hundred applicants and recruiters are overworked and most are terrible at it.

She’s definitely extremely experienced and qualified with 14 years at her current company but she’s going after director level roles which are few and far between.

i've been trying out otta which has had a much better hit rate. they also show when stuff was recently posted (at least per their tracking system) so you can get your application in first to beat that quota as you mentioned. i've probably gotten set up for more first interviews from it in less than a week than i did the entire last month. i'm applying for everything that looks remotely applicable to my background and that doesn't have horrific glassdoor reviews.

but per the above, i have enough experience on paper that i get shot down for anything that would be vaguely close to entry level/junior, so i basically have to apply for mid and senior level roles at a minimum, but the whole of my experience is weird and all over the place so no one seems to want me after they talk to me and it feels pretty lovely

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hate getting super e/n and all but man it loving sucks. it feels great when you get a slew of interviews coming in since it says that at least some people have an initial interest in who you are, but then they go nowhere and you feel like garbage once again

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

what's a mid level job posting?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

what's a mid level job posting?

in tech, generally 3-5 years. 5-7 is senior, anything over that is staff/director and so on

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

ArmZ posted:

Personal Edition

Enables a single user to run an IBM Z® distribution on a personal computer.
Starting at
$5,980.00*
per user per year

holy gently caress :eyepop:

just steal it who cares gently caress ibm

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

in tech, generally 3-5 years. 5-7 is senior, anything over that is staff/director and so on

I'm at a point where I'm going for senior roles, but they're super competitive, and I can't even settle for mid-level ones because the assumption there is that I'm just gonna leave for more money in a year. I don't even get callbacks for mid-level most of the time

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

triple sulk posted:

I was making a joke that those roles don't really exist: either you're Sr or entry or management but gently caress management

Troutful
May 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'm at a point where I'm going for senior roles, but they're super competitive, and I can't even settle for mid-level ones because the assumption there is that I'm just gonna leave for more money in a year. I don't even get callbacks for mid-level most of the time

What's your field?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

It's just loving insane to me that insurance is completely loving obviously going to disappear in climate-disadvantaged areas and no one even cares.

After the fires in CA a couple of years ago, we had enough. We moved up to Seattle (not the city of; couldn't afford it) but about 40 minutes NE of it.

People just don't get it; the very concept of insurance precludes it from working in these areas, period, full stop.

Florida is just now starting to understand this reality, as insurers are dropping people left and right and coverage is going up 2x, 3x.

Even 3x is not enough. None of this is sustainable, at all. The only answer is to get in front of the situation, which we currently can because people are loving idiots and can't tell the direction the wind is blowing. Too bad that's effectively impossible for most people who are at risk in the first place.

Sounds like it would take MY TAX DOLLARS to accomplish and I earned that money and should be free to use it for anytizers at Applebee's.

All taxation is evil, and all uses of tax dollars are evil.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was laid off in 2020 and never found a job again, I guess I was unlucky. Honestly, I think I'm giving up job hunting for another computer toucher role again, because at this point the market is not recovering imo and I can't get through a week anymore without having a screaming fit trying to get back onto food stamps.

So, uh, at the risk of being a bit doomery, anyone who got laid off recently, start planning for something else now, before you realize it's been almost a year without getting a job offer and now have to scramble.

I just, I don't want anyone else to go through what I did.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Troutful posted:

What's your field?

Full-stack web dev. Last stack was rails/react but I'm open to different ones. So, apparently, is everyone else on the planet

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'd look internally for you but we're under a hiring freeze :negative:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

triple sulk posted:

i hate getting super e/n and all but man it loving sucks. it feels great when you get a slew of interviews coming in since it says that at least some people have an initial interest in who you are, but then they go nowhere and you feel like garbage once again

:same:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sorry, you need at least 5 years experience in the exact poo poo we use

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

this.gif

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

sorry, you need at least 5 years experience in the exact poo poo we use

But what if I am both a ninja AND a rock star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

triple sulk posted:

applying to jobs is like online dating; purely a numbers game of sending enough applications that someone eventually says yes, and not letting the endless rejections get to you personally