Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gonjiam and Deadstream were great.

Had WAY too much popcorn and mixed drinks but in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nice

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Halloween Jack posted:

Finally saw Mad God last night! More than anything, it reminded me of Dorohedoro.

Oh wow, that is an incredible comparison.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

heard u like girls posted:

Man this matte painting surrounding the platform in Pit and the Pendulum looks rad as heck

I wish i could find a high res version :S

God I love matte paintings

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Finally saw Mad God last night! More than anything, it reminded me of Dorohedoro.

well now i finally gotta read that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Unlike Mad God, there is dialogue, and also a lot of gyoza for some reason. I think it's replaced Parasyte as my favourite manga, and I don't like a ton of manga.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parasyte owns

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1690032794955587584?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ
If it has the weight to it I’d be down to own one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alright so just purely out of curiosity and not trying to be the contrarian: am I the only horror thread regular who thought Talk to Me kind of sucked?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

alright so just purely out of curiosity and not trying to be the contrarian: am I the only horror thread regular who thought Talk to Me kind of sucked?

It's alright, We Let You In.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're going to have to sit at the other table with me, guy who hated Ddadstream

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You don’t think there’s been a good movie in 15 years is the thing tho. With that kind of standard idk what you would like

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s pretty mid. If you told me it was Blumhouse I wouldn’t have much reason to not believe you. By the end of the year I probably won’t remember much of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You don’t think there’s been a good movie in 15 years is the thing tho. With that kind of standard idk what you would like

like last year, Phil Tippett made the greatest movie of all time! i have love in my heart, people just gotta meet me halfway!

weekly font posted:

It’s pretty mid. If you told me it was Blumhouse I wouldn’t have much reason to not believe you. By the end of the year I probably won’t remember much of it.

it's very Blumhouse. it had that thing where instead of pulling from classic horror movies for influence it felt like it was pulling almost entirely from stuff from the last ten years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

pulling from classic horror movies

Well you know what they say. When all you have is a Hammer :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Phil Tippett is a bastard. People are on social media complaining that they don't want to watch horror movies where the monster is the five stages of grief. It's idiotic, as if monster movies in the 70s and 80s didn't have themes. No, the problem is the Goop Gap. Horror movies don't have enough blood and ichor and goop and slime, and that's because Tippett's been siphoning it all off and hoarding it for decades so he could put all of it in his movie. Contemptible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's between owning this or a replica Lament Configuration. Curiousity would get the better of me eventually.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought it was OK, the most amusing thing is them trying to push some Youtubers as directors whose names you should know. Might as well say the film was directed by the Da Vinki Brothers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought it was OK, the most amusing thing is them trying to push some Youtubers as directors whose names you should know. Might as well say the film was directed by the Da Vinki Brothers.

did it originate as a youtube horror short because that would make a lot of sense

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

did it originate as a youtube horror short because that would make a lot of sense

No but these are the guys:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no don't massarce the chicken sword ronald wahhh 😭

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alright I am curious about The Ronald McDonald Chicken Store Massacre. Who will survive and what will be left of them?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cutting Class was the exact sort of cheap, charming, unambitious middle-of-the-road fare I was looking for, glad I got to see it in a microcinema with a little crowd. Not a hidden gem, but does the job. Fun seeing baby Brad Pitt in a low-budget horror flick, the other leads are solid, there's some good intentional and unintentional laughs to be had. One great kill, a few decent other ones. Twisty and turny with its whodunnit, but in a way that's a bit more cheap tgan satisfying. The entire finale would have been by-the-numbers if it weren't for some off-the-wall nutso dialogue that felt improvised. The running gag about the dad making his way back to the suburbs was terrific, though I do wish they hit him with the car and killed him in the end. He certainly would have deserved it for recommending that a court send a 12 year old boy to an insane asylum for the rest of his life just for cutting the brakes on his abusive father's car.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I did get to see Talk to Me yesterday. It was just OK for me as well. I liked some aspects--it's well-acted, it's tersely paced, and it plays the kind of silly premise pretty straight. I'll be wary of spoilers because it's still in theaters, but I will say it definitely felt like the script lost track of "the rules" by the end and I was having trouble keeping a bead on what as supposed to be happening.

I will add I do kind of wish I'd seen it in a crowded theater, but my brother and I were the only ones there at the random afternoon showing. (Admittedly, being alone is creepy in it's own way. I was not pleased when towards the end of the movie I turned around to see a theater employee just lurking in the staff doorway.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

I did get to see Talk to Me yesterday. It was just OK for me as well. I liked some aspects--it's well-acted, it's tersely paced, and it plays the kind of silly premise pretty straight. I'll be wary of spoilers because it's still in theaters, but I will say it definitely felt like the script lost track of "the rules" by the end and I was having trouble keeping a bead on what as supposed to be happening.

I will add I do kind of wish I'd seen it in a crowded theater, but my brother and I were the only ones there at the random afternoon showing. (Admittedly, being alone is creepy in it's own way. I was not pleased when towards the end of the movie I turned around to see a theater employee just lurking in the staff doorway.)

He was just letting you in. :P

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

He was just letting you in. :P

:eek:

Also, I forgot to mention that, although the ending scene is pretty fitting and well-done, the song that plays when it smashes to credits is so wildly inappropriate that my brother and I burst out laughing. It was like one of those "Knives Out but it came out in 2007" type joke videos come to life. We actually had to take a couple of minutes to shake off how stupid it was before we could actually talk about the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Horror movies having credits songs as punchlines is cool and good and more should if they’re not gonna have rap songs that summarize the movie. Haunt’s is S-tier.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FUNKY poo poo at the end of event horizon is still an all time needle drop

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

FUNKY poo poo at the end of event horizon is still an all time needle drop

Event Horizon was one of the first horror flicks I ever saw in the theater. I just wasn't really into it as a kid. So there's me at the end of the movie, trying to fuckin process what I just saw, and the soundtrack goes OH MY GOD THAT'S SOME FUNKY poo poo

gently caress yes it was!

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 12, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel like all the Saw movies had terrible nu-metal credits songs. At least some of them did.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The Borderlands / Final Prayer was good but I kind of felt the ending fell a little flat. It was good overall though.

So I watched this last weekend and I agree? Like generally pretty great, but when I realized that the reveal can be described as "the church is a monster that eats people", I kind of wished the film had leaned into the metaphor.

Also watched Prey for the Devil, and I didn't like that much. It felt like... I dunno, like fanfiction about the Church written by someone who had never so much as met a Catholic in their life. The nun drawing her fuckin cross out like it was a. 45 was kind of hilarious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There are a lot of horror movies with orchestral soundtracks, tons with rock music, lots of various flavors of metal, some rap but I’m less familiar… punk, of course…

What other music genres have good representation in horror movies? Is there a horror movie with zydeco on the soundtrack? Maybe some calypso?

The Ravenous soundtrack is near and dear to me because 1) it owns, 2) Ravenous owns, 3) I love that it’s done with period instrumentation. So it’s all creepy old-time basically. loving love that poo poo.

Let’s talk about horror movie music.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

M

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 1, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any recommendations for a less than 90 minute horror movie for tonight. Suggestions taken for the next 30 minutes or so. I am leaning toward Brain Damage and the movie as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not a credit song but I appreciate FEAST introducing me to The Vincent Black Shadow.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

There are a lot of horror movies with orchestral soundtracks, tons with rock music, lots of various flavors of metal, some rap but I’m less familiar… punk, of course…

What other music genres have good representation in horror movies? Is there a horror movie with zydeco on the soundtrack? Maybe some calypso?

The Ravenous soundtrack is near and dear to me because 1) it owns, 2) Ravenous owns, 3) I love that it’s done with period instrumentation. So it’s all creepy old-time basically. loving love that poo poo.

Let’s talk about horror movie music.

YAY love the Ravenous soundtrack. Damon Albarn loving around with the banjo is terrific, really sells the black as hell folk sort of comedy of that movie. matches Carlyle's performance

The (og) Wicker Man soundtrack is also on a whole other level. I think it really helps wrong-foot the viewer too, these pretty and folksy sort of kitsch tunes.

Carpenter and Morricone's score for The Thing has to be up there with my most-listened-to, and it keeps popping up in other things too (all throughout The Hateful Eight for example). that pulsing synth with western strings is an unreal musical slow burn

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As someone who pretty much only listens to film scores horror scores aren’t super big for me for the most part due to how kind of bland they can be at times. They’re usually just loud stings and creepy noises.

That being said the ones that stand out kick rear end. Hereditary is an all timer, in that you can hear it in a meme and laugh but still find it haunting. Annihilation is also great too.

Always enjoyed the Friday the 13th scores despite being a bit repetitive. Halloween 78 and the new tie trilogy as well. Honestly any John Carpenter score is fantastic.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Hollismason posted:

Any recommendations for a less than 90 minute horror movie for tonight. Suggestions taken for the next 30 minutes or so. I am leaning toward Brain Damage and the movie as well.

Sightseers or Kill List?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

So many options, I'm still only at 88 minutes as the longest movie after two pages on my Letterboxd. Brain Damage is great fun, but if you're considering other kind of trashy schlock you could always consider stuff like Chopping Mall, Hack-O-Lantern, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I couldn't decide on anything so Brain Damage it is.