Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TNG liked using Geordi for that, and Voyager had Harry. Not sure if TOS had an O'Brien, or if the use of sacrificial redshirts helped relieve that burden off of any one crew member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, having Geordi walk in on Leah Brahms watching "Leah Brahms" talk about when you touch the engine you touch me is definitely the worst thing that's ever happened to a ST character

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trip was kind of the O’Brien of the series

I said to a friend last night that every Classic Trek show has its designated Eternal Victim: TNG had Worf, DS9 had O'Brien, Voyager had Kim, and Enterprise had Trip. TOS is the one that challenges the pattern because it spreads its victimization around the cast quite evenly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lord Hydronium posted:

TNG liked using Geordi for that, and Voyager had Harry. Not sure if TOS had an O'Brien, or if the use of sacrificial redshirts helped relieve that burden off of any one crew member.

TOS didn't have an abuse target like that because it didn't really take the time to dive into emotional suffering character pieces the way the later 7-season shows did, and it was a different era of television where that wasn't as common anyway.

The ablative redshirt phenomenon was just to emphasize the danger of whatever situation they were in at the time. TNG would also sacrifice random crew (like that guy who got mind-tortured to death in "Where Silence Has Lease" or the woman who phased through the floor in that one episode) or have Worf get his rear end kicked if the dangerous thing was a person.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah, having Geordi walk in on Leah Brahms watching "Leah Brahms" talk about when you touch the engine you touch me is definitely the worst thing that's ever happened to a ST character

Geordi had such an easy out for that one too. "Look, I needed an interface to help me solve a complex problem with the warp drive and the computer chose you. It's not my fault the computer got horny for some reason." Instead of whatever incel rage "actually it's all YOUR fault, Leah" line he drops on her.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And then the episode ends with Brahms apologizing to Geordi, for some reason. Thank the 20-something nerd writers for that one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Honestly though that scene is a great end cap to Enterprise’s themes. The “maybe someday” lines while Trip and T’Pol hold hands shows that these two species, who were so at odds at the beginning, are now on the road to true cooperation and mutual love.

I want T'Pol to guest star in SNW and not very subtly be delighted with Spock and his successes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I said to a friend last night that every Classic Trek show has its designated Eternal Victim: TNG had Worf, DS9 had O'Brien, Voyager had Kim, and Enterprise had Trip. TOS is the one that challenges the pattern because it spreads its victimization around the cast quite evenly.

Every series also has a Goku, who uses their superhuman physiology at the end of the episode to save the day. TOS had Spock, TNG had Data, DS9 had Odo and Quark and Voyager had Seven. The only one that doesn't really is Enterprise, T'Pol clutches things out sometimes but she seems to be a victim as often too?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Every series also has a Goku, who uses their superhuman physiology at the end of the episode to save the day. TOS had Spock, TNG had Data, DS9 had Odo and Quark and Voyager had Seven. The only one that doesn't really is Enterprise, T'Pol clutches things out sometimes but she seems to be a victim as often too?

They tried to make Archer Enterprise's Goku from time to time and it just didn't work at all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You might be able to make the case that Kirk is something of an O'Brien. In TOS alone he loses his brother, two loves of his life (Edith and Miramanee; I don't count Rayna), gets court martialed, has to murder his good friend who has become a demigod, meets his Shadow self face to face.... That's not even counting the movies.

Still not probably as bad as Miles' travails, though.

e: Oh yeah....forgot about Kirk's experience with Kodos the Executioner.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 11, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Meanwhile McCoy's just like "Jim, I saw the loving Easter Bunny or something. I think I'm high as balls right now :stare:"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

TOS didn't have an abuse target like that because it didn't really take the time to dive into emotional suffering character pieces the way the later 7-season shows did, and it was a different era of television where that wasn't as common anyway.

The ablative redshirt phenomenon was just to emphasize the danger of whatever situation they were in at the time. TNG would also sacrifice random crew (like that guy who got mind-tortured to death in "Where Silence Has Lease" or the woman who phased through the floor in that one episode) or have Worf get his rear end kicked if the dangerous thing was a person.

Honestly all the main three go through some pretty miserable situations in TOS. Kirk has been through multiple bloodbaths before the series even starts, Spock is Spock. Even McCoy who has the least focus episodes starts the show with a plot where he slowly realizes his old flame is being worn as a skinsuit by a man-eating alien, which he then guns down. In season 3 he’s got a fatal disease and a doomed marriage in the same episode! Obviously they always get their poo poo back together by next week.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of resetting each week, I’ve always wanted there to be an instance of a random redshirt dying in one episode and then appearing alive and well the next episode lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of resetting each week, I’ve always wanted there to be an instance of a random redshirt dying in one episode and then appearing alive and well the next episode lol

TOS did it. Leslie, the ultimate crewman! Went through at least three departments, got gassed as a redshirt in “Obsession”, came back like it wasn’t nothing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

TOS did it. Leslie, the ultimate crewman! Went through at least three departments, got gassed as a redshirt in “Obsession”, came back like it wasn’t nothing

There's gotta be a lost blooper of Shatner doing a comedic double take one episode when the dude walks by in the background.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Even McCoy who has the least focus episodes starts the show with a plot where he slowly realizes his old flame is being worn as a skinsuit by a man-eating alien, which he then guns down

Also Kirk calls her "a handsome woman" and Spock goes full John Henry on her face

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

??

https://twitter.com/gineokwkoenig/status/1690075606636199936?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I’m pretty sure Walter Koenig manages his own Twitter account because sometimes there are weird posts

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

zoux posted:

Okay, somebody danced around this last week, worried about spoiling it for me, but I am HAPPILY spoiled. Now I know to brace for impact when she next turns up.

My brother's been taking the piss a bit, he's much more of a TNG head than me. When I mentioned I felt like I was through the worst of it, he was all "Oh, wait until you hit the sexy ghost episode!" I am clueless, but the way he said it makes me think I do not want to watch the sexy ghost episode.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

??

https://twitter.com/gineokwkoenig/status/1690075606636199936?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I’m pretty sure Walter Koenig manages his own Twitter account because sometimes there are weird posts

The man's 86, let him make jokes about dying

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MuddyFunster posted:

Okay, somebody danced around this last week, worried about spoiling it for me, but I am HAPPILY spoiled. Now I know to brace for impact when she next turns up.

My brother's been taking the piss a bit, he's much more of a TNG head than me. When I mentioned I felt like I was through the worst of it, he was all "Oh, wait until you hit the sexy ghost episode!" I am clueless, but the way he said it makes me think I do not want to watch the sexy ghost episode.

The sexy ghost episode is fine. It’s very late in the show and it’s obvious they were having fun with it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Oh no, you absolutely DO want to watch the sexy ghost episode. It's terrible, which is exactly what makes it so much fun. Not to be missed.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Spock goes full John Henry on her face
Spock drove a steel drill into her face? I don't remember that episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, Worf really should’ve gotten more chances to be a big goof.

I’m watching One Little Ship and the moment at the very end where he’s pretending to read his poem to Jadzia is just excellent. Dorn has decent range that you don’t usually get to see him use as Worf.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DS9 really got Worf's potential in a way TNG basically never did.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

The man's 86, let him make jokes about dying

what if he's not joking? :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A.o.D. posted:

what if he's not joking? :ohdear:

I hate to break this to you, my friend. But we're all dying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I hate to break this to you, my friend. But we're all dying.

And not a moment too soon.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Rick Berman's crimes are legion.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Sins of the Father, goodo. We finally get to go to the planet Klingland! That's what it's called, gently caress you, that's where they live, Klingland, that's canon. An open ending I'm sure will get picked up later, lots of Patrick Stewart playing to the back seats with his big boomy boy voice and most important, lots of METAL AS gently caress Klingons, including Tony Todd, growling about the place and banging on about MY FAMILY'S HONOUR and all that. I find I'm really enjoying anything and everything to do with the Klingons, Dorn's always good and they're always fun as hell.

Allegiance is one I could imagine working well as a TOS episode. What on earth would be the giveaway for a fake-Kirk though? Maybe he'd suddenly be a bit sweaty and rapey? Maybe he'd start acting like one of those hysterical women? We shall never know! Anyway, fine. More great stuff from Stewart, his final "now get off my ship" to the funky disco aliens was great. Quite a dull line written out, but it's all in the delivery I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

Rick Berman's crimes are legion.

I thought the old rumor was that it was Brannon Braga who made Trip and T'Pol suffer in Season 4 because Trip became Manny Coto's pet character and he was jealous of Coto turning the perception of the show around in Season 3 and 4 after it floundered in the first two years under his own care or some poo poo. Though I doubt that's all that true given how well they seemed to get along post-Enterprise with Coto even getting Braga a job as a writer and producer on 24 eventually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be surprised if that was true, because Trip gets probably the most episodes other than maybe T'Pol over Braga's run as showrunner.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MuddyFunster posted:

Sins of the Father, goodo. We finally get to go to the planet Klingland! That's what it's called, gently caress you, that's where they live, Klingland, that's canon.
Hell, close enough, in early TNG episodes they call it "Kling". And in TOS they call the language "Klingonee". Also early TNG implies they're part of the Federation. I love the weird Klingon canon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve read the novels, but basically the books lay out that the holoprogram Riker watched was a coverup and that in reality Trip faked his death in 2155/56 with Archer, Reed, and Phlox’s help and basically became a hesitant agent for Section 31, helping them do covert poo poo on Romulus to prepare for the inevitable war with the Romulans in 2161ish.

Like iirc they actually surgically altered him to look Romulan and dropped him on Romulus with a fake family to do industrial espionage on Romulan military tech.

Okay, faking his death to do secret things I can understand, but surgical alteration with a fake family and insertion onto a planet that Starfleet doesn't really know anything about at that point in time is just too silly. It'd be more likely that Romulans have spies on Earth than the other way around.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be surprised if that was true, because Trip gets probably the most episodes other than maybe T'Pol over Braga's run as showrunner.

Yeah, they were very open in seasons 1 and 2 about wanting Archer/T'Pol/Trip to be the new Kirk/Spock/McCoy, so the idea that they killed Trip off out of animus towards the character doesn't really track. But I do think Berman and Braga were really wedded to the idea of Archer as Super Important Historical Figure and the finale needed STAKES, so somebody had to die and Archer's too important and T'Pol's too hot, so...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

It's a rite of honor. You must go through the sex ghost episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sex ghost candle episode isn’t even a bottom 10 TNG episode imo. There’s way worse poo poo.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like pretty much every so-called worst episode of Star Trek is automatically better than Code of Honor simply by virtue of not being extremely loving racist.

I also think that stuff like Sub Rosa and Threshold move themselves out of that category by being memorably bizarre, and that the true worst episodes (besides the actively offensive ones) are the ones with so little to offer that you forget about them the moment the credits roll.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 12, 2023

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The ablative redshirt

This would make a great username.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I meant what I said, it's a rite of honor. Enduring something truly horrible, your Code of Honors or Course: Oblivions or any random Picards, has no honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wait people don’t like Course: Oblivion? It’s one of the few Voyagers I genuinely love because it’s so bleak.