Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

AMPTP and WGA are meeting again tomorrow.

Last Friday, the studios said they weren’t willing to talk about staffing minimums, AI, or success-based streaming residuals, three of the primary reasons why the WGA went on strike in the first place. WGA sent out the following email today:

quote:

DEAR MEMBERS,

Carol Lombardini has asked the WGA Negotiating Committee to meet with AMPTP negotiators on Friday. We expect the AMPTP to provide responses to WGA proposals.

Our committee returns to the bargaining table ready to make a fair deal, knowing the unified WGA membership stands behind us and buoyed by the ongoing support of our union allies.

We will get back to you.

IN SOLIDARITY,
WGA NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE

The fact that this will be a full meeting with both negotiating committees present is a big step after last week’s more informal meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Argyle posted:

The fact that this will be a full meeting with both negotiating committees present is a big step after last week’s more informal meeting.

Here's my AMPTP headcanon: 100 days of this strike (plus nearly a month with SAG/AFTRA) and the results are in: not only are they not saving money, they're still bleeding. Shutting down production across the board saves very little money in the grand scheme of things. And that bill will always come due.

They put out a feeler last week. They must have known it wouldn't be enough, but it would gauge the temperature. The reading was: HOT. Half-measures aren't going to cut it. But there's room to make a fair deal. Better to pay more for gas than to end up with nothing in the tank.

I'm probably wrong but it would be nice to see a sincere deal being made.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's what it seems like to me, but we'll see what they do this go-round.

They've been counting on a hell of a lot of things that haven't happened, though, so it really does feel to me like the investors have started seeing the writing on the wall. This little gambit where the studios and streamers thought they could just wait this out and the writers would starve failed to take into account that there are money people bigger than themselves to whom they must answer, and a company with no product is far less profitable than one with a union deal that wasn't everything they wanted, but still produces goods to be sold.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

ashpanash posted:

I'm probably wrong but it would be nice to see a sincere deal being made.

I’m expecting the studios to eventually bend on just about everything, including AI. But as far as streaming residuals go, the streamers are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their viewership numbers secret. Netflix would happily keep Hollywood shut down until 2025 if it means they don’t have to share their numbers.

I have a hunch that the streaming residuals issue is what will cause the most tension between the legacy studios and Amazon/Apple/Netflix. The last strike ended when studios started breaking off one by one and giving the WGA what they asked for, and I won’t be surprised if this strike ends the same way with Amazon and Netflix being the final holdouts.

And when Netflix finally signs the deal they’ve been resisting for half a year, I will laugh so hard that I’ll puke

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Argyle posted:

I’m expecting the studios to eventually bend on just about everything, including AI. But as far as streaming residuals go, the streamers are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their viewership numbers secret. Netflix would happily keep Hollywood shut down until 2025 if it means they don’t have to share their numbers.

I have a hunch that the streaming residuals issue is what will cause the most tension between the legacy studios and Amazon/Apple/Netflix. The last strike ended when studios started breaking off one by one and giving the WGA what they asked for, and I won’t be surprised if this strike ends the same way with Amazon and Netflix being the final holdouts.

And when Netflix finally signs the deal they’ve been resisting for half a year, I will laugh so hard that I’ll puke

I could absolutely see this. My social media bubble is all actors/writers/adjacent film workers, so I know I'm getting a very specific view on reactions to the strike, but one thing I love seeing go around is "A24 has been allowed to continue with multiple projects because they agreed to everything the WGA/SAG wanted. If they can do it, why can't the big studios?" And the more that stuff like that gets spread around, the weaker it makes the AMPTP look.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I have to admit I only found this thread halfway through, but would it be gauche to ask how many people here are either involved in the unions or actively involved in any of this? Sometimes I feel like I get better information here than through official channels.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ironhead posted:

I have to admit I only found this thread halfway through, but would it be gauche to ask how many people here are either involved in the unions or actively involved in any of this? Sometimes I feel like I get better information here than through official channels.

Not gauche at all.

I'll start, I have no involvement, actively or otherwise. My bad opinions and judgments are entirely my own.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Argyle posted:

yeah some writers on a strike-focused podcast i was listening to (sean clements' surprisingly excellent 'subtitles on') were talking about how, maybe if you're one of the various legacy media networks right now you're thinking "we're getting hurt a lot more than Apple and Amazon are just because they have infinite money from other business - this is just softening us up for one of them to eventually buy us for cheap down the line, maybe we should cut a deal now instead of continuing to help them hold out and gently caress us anyways later"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was in IATSE, but it was as a projectionist, and that job stopped being a job quite some time ago and our local was really small and powerless besides.

But good news! You don't have to know poo poo or have a personal stake in anything to not side with moneygrubbing ghouls over workers!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve heard since day 1 that the studios were at least going to hold out to day 100, because that’s when force majeure kicks in and allows them to cancel existing contracts uncontested.

I’m not sure if they’ve canceled any contracts yet, but we’re at day 100 so it’s good to see them open to negotiations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don’t some A24 projects end up on streaming? I’m not sure how they can fulfill the residuals part of things when the streaming platform is not theirs to control. Likely the deal is far less complicated — and expensive — for A24 than for actual studios.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Don’t some A24 projects end up on streaming? I’m not sure how they can fulfill the residuals part of things when the streaming platform is not theirs to control.

Again, I'm only making assumptions here, but based on the idea that companies that are allowed to continue production are doing so because they have acceded to all the guild's demands, they must be providing residuals somehow. So on some level, there must be data that they get, as a production company, from the streamers themselves, that they can show to the guild and justify what they are providing - in a way that the guild is satisfied with. I know there's been some talk of the guild working with some sort of social media analysis consulting firm and hyping their system, so it's probably some version of that.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 11, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Again, I'm only making assumptions here, but based on the idea that companies that are allowed to continue production are doing so because they have acceded to all the guild's demands, they must be providing residuals somehow. So on some level, there must be data that they get, as a production company, from the streamers themselves, that they can show to the guild and justify what they are providing - in a way that the guild is satisfied with. I know there's been some talk of the guild working with some sort of social media analysis consulting firm and hyping their system, so it's probably some version of that.

The companies getting waivers are not AMPTP. It seems like they're agreeing to the wage increases the unions are demanding, but for things like data sharing and changing the residual structure, they're not really empowered to agree to that. The unions are using the independent companies to keep workers hired and put pressure on the AMPTP studios, but I wouldn't take this as indicative that A24 has agreed to anything re: residuals and data sharing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's entirely possible that A24 is paid a flat fee from streamers for x amount of time on a service, but that's just my idea.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Ironhead posted:

I’m in WGA and SAG. I’m a TV writer primarily, but I got to do some bit parts on the shows that I work on and that led to me joining SAG. Fun story: for the role that got me full SAG membership, I was paid about $1,100. SAG initiation fees are $3,000 :suicide:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is the initiation ritual really elaborate and expensive or does joining a union usually involve giving big bucks first?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Ironhead posted:

Just lurking this and the Cinema Discusso threads thus far but SAG-AFTRA here. LA goons who want a picket buddy hmu, I'm on the picket lines most days for an hour or so or until my back sweat melts my backpack to my skin

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Is the initiation ritual really elaborate and expensive or does joining a union usually involve giving big bucks first?

The only “ritual” is filling out some paperwork and writing a check. WGA sent me a diploma-like certificate which I thought was a little silly but it’s a nice souvenir.

The initiation fees are steep (3k for SAG, 2.5k for WGA). They’re supposed to cover the administrative costs of joining the union, and I’m sure they do, but it’s a lot to ask of a young artist who’s just getting started. SAG has a payment plan which helps a little, and for WGA you’ve probably either (A) collected a script fee or (B) you’ve gotten yourself staffed on a show, so whatever job got you into the union is probably going to make up for the initiation fee and then some. If you’re really strapped for cash I’m sure you could call the offices and work something out.

The fees and dues are totally worth it, imo. WGA has an amazing health plan, pension, and powerful leadership that’s willing to fight for us.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

It's entirely possible that A24 is paid a flat fee from streamers for x amount of time on a service, but that's just my idea.

My hunch is that if the streaming data ever comes out it's going to show that licenced content like this often performs a lot lot lot better than original programming and that the streamers have been massively underpaying rights holders.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The data we already have pretty much already shows this with Suits (which just got added to Netflix) topping Neilsen's streaming numbers saying the show wracked up 3 billion minutes of views from the end of June. A writer for the show says that this surge has not translated at all to residuals getting about $400 for an episode they wrote.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve heard since day 1 that the studios were at least going to hold out to day 100, because that’s when force majeure kicks in and allows them to cancel existing contracts uncontested.

I’m not sure if they’ve canceled any contracts yet, but we’re at day 100 so it’s good to see them open to negotiations.
In theory they can do that, but I’ve read that it probably won’t happen to most shows because if you cancel a show or terminate a contract with a showrunner you risk losing them to a competitor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The data we already have pretty much already shows this with Suits (which just got added to Netflix) topping Neilsen's streaming numbers saying the show wracked up 3 billion minutes of views from the end of June. A writer for the show says that this surge has not translated at all to residuals getting about $400 for an episode they wrote.

read that piece yesterday and the number was even worse than that, $400/episode would be much better than what they actually got -- "All together, NBCUniversal paid the six original “Suits” writers less than $3,000 last quarter to stream our 11 Season 1 episodes on two platforms."

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 11, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1690058679754563585

Also shoutout for cross-species solidarity:

https://twitter.com/clairesjam/status/1690075219275206657

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hey, they got Ron to turn up! :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, they got Ron to turn up! :v:

What was he in, like, 2-3 episodes? That's awesome.

And he's wearing a name tag. "My name is Sam."

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

thrawn527 posted:

What was he in, like, 2-3 episodes? That's awesome.

And he's wearing a name tag. "My name is Sam."

Meanwhile Aubrey Plaza wearing a nametag that says "April L"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Brandaneweiz won't strike with his Pawnee friends, for shame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Adam Scott smiling but wearing sunglasses to hide the fact that he still doesn't "get" Li'l Sebastian.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/massawyrm/status/1690161287370547200?s=46&t=l7JovTDvoQbYADj0z1zxcA

Sounds like they actually had some real negotiations today? Fingers crossed…

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The fact that the WGA committee is actually discussing the counter-proposal is hopefully a good sign the AMPTP is coming to their senses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/garyJackson/status/1690356962825842689
Christ. WBD really did open the floodgates of lovely streamer behavior.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But at least David Zaslav earned half a billion dollars last year in doing so.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dude whaaat, I didn’t know they made a frog and toad show

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vegetable posted:

Dude whaaat, I didn’t know they made a frog and toad show

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
already deleted

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/robhoegee/status/1690405037930078208

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

The fact that the WGA committee is actually discussing the counter-proposal is hopefully a good sign the AMPTP is coming to their senses.

It’s a good sign. Leadership sent out an email telling us they’re going to keep the offers under wraps while they discuss. Publicizing every step of offers and counter-offers is obviously not productive and will only generate media noise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argyle posted:

It’s a good sign. Leadership sent out an email telling us they’re going to keep the offers under wraps while they discuss. Publicizing every step of offers and counter-offers is obviously not productive and will only generate media noise.

That's also a positive sign. If the counter-offer wasn't a real offer there'd be little harm in making it public to pressure the AMPTP in the court of public opinion. If it's legit, then yeah, keep it private while deliberating.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they’ve publicized the ones that were obviously “you’ll get nothing and like it!” So this seems to indicate there’s some actual movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So what would it mean, realistically, for any new or pending productions if WGA gets a deal signed while SAG-AFTRA's still on strike? Even if the writers are back on board, I can't imagine much will actually happen while the actors refuse to work.