Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

if ever I manage to gently caress up driving so badly that I drive into a house then I think I should probably just be shot and call the whole thing quits.

People, of course, already have their repairs covered by the state.

Because the state does such a good job of looking after people who need it when that care starts to cost a lot of money.

A road accident fund would definitely be better than insurance cartels lining their pockets but we don’t have one of those, so third party insurance still serves a purpose that’s sometimes very important depending on the circumstances.

We’re clearly not gonna see eye to eye on this so I’m not gonna engage any further, but I have to say this is a weirdly short-sighted and selfish position to take on the matter that I wouldn’t have expected given your usual sensible posts ITT.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Houses are also obscenely inflated in value so I don't see why I should be expected to fund that idiocy either.

My objection is that if I am driving, the only thing my insurance can pay for is my car, which is barely worth more than the obligatory insurance. Everything else is stuff that i am never going to be able to afford and don't see why I should support, and yet I am apparently expected to pay for it as well?

Why am I subsidising people who are so obscenely wealthy that they can afford expensive cars and houses?

Rich people can and should pay for their own poo poo, not using the law to make me loving pay for it. That seems extremely obvious to me and to be honest I think it's rather further sighted than just assuming that obviously people have a valid right to expect everyone else to fund their ridiculous excesses regardless of their ability. To me that is the selfish behaviour which is causing far more harm to society than I am.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 12, 2023

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think "houses are an unaffordable luxury" is the way to go

anyway I was going to say an advantage (?) of individual insurance is that you can discourage individual poor drivers from driving with higher rates

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately people who own them do not seem to be content unless they are constantly rocketing up in value all the time. Which if anything I would be helping to combat if I drove into them, making it socially responsible to do so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Labour donor verification policy in effect

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because the state does such a good job of looking after people who need it when that care starts to cost a lot of money.
That's just the Reagan/Thatcher Revolution in action, make government incapable of working, then point at it and say "government, what a bunch of clowns huh?" until you end up with the legal and actuarial systems doing jobs that should be a matter of basic public provision.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I just about own my very small house, thanks to multiple dead relatives. I have no interest in reselling but if you accidentally drove a car very precisely into my front room I would quite like for you to pay for it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

That's just the Reagan/Thatcher Revolution in action, make government incapable of working, then point at it and say "government, what a bunch of clowns huh?" until you end up with the legal and actuarial systems doing jobs that should be a matter of basic public provision.

It sure is, but now we’re off into the weeds of what would be nice to have (a lovely place to live with sensible policies where people with all the loving money pay for some of this poo poo) vs what we actually have (a shithouse run by clowns) and the innumerable other rows we need to hoe before we even start to scratch around the edges of ‘insurance, why?’

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You'd better hope the car ceases to run, otherwise you'll be left with a note on your front door that is laying on your bed reading "Soz, no insurence."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Why am I subsidising people who are so obscenely wealthy that they can afford expensive cars and houses?

Gratz, you've managed to reach "why should I pay for Sharon to have six kids and a flat-screen telly???" from the other end.

It's a short-sighted and selfish argument regardless of which end it's coming from.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

History Comes Inside! posted:

They aren’t actually allowed to do that anymore, it’s called ‘price walking’ and it was banned by the FCA at the beginning of 2022.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-confirms-measures-protect-customers-loyalty-penalty-home-motor-insurance-markets

If your insurance goes up now it’s because your insurance went up under that insurer’s criteria, regardless of how long you’ve been a customer.

They don't take advantage in the same way as they used to but it is still worth doing the motions. Just spending the time to moan to my insurance that other places were cheaper got £68 knocked off the renewal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

Gratz, you've managed to reach "why should I pay for Sharon to have six kids and a flat-screen telly???" from the other end.

It's a short-sighted and selfish argument regardless of which end it's coming from.

Children have a right to eat, I don't think people have the right to have expensive cars and houses valued at a million pounds. I also don't actually think those two are comparable at all!

Fundamentally what is happening is that the risks of a privileged few is being socialized to everyone, and I don't see why that's a good thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 12, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The real crime is the cost of insurance - if you can only afford an old banger, guess what, you're gonna get smashed with a rate that is probably more than the car itself. It shouldn't cost 3000 pounds to get basic cover.

e: Let's make the move to a golf cart society.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the racism, which was the big reason why the USA decided to use the insurance model for everything, the Solid South shut down every opportunity to move to a public healthcare model because they'd have to apply it to everyone.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

My objection is that if I am driving, the only thing my insurance can pay for is my car, which is barely worth more than the obligatory insurance. Everything else is stuff that i am never going to be able to afford and don't see why I should support, and yet I am apparently expected to pay for it as well?

On the other hand under your scheme if I drive into your shitbox car you'll have to buy a replacement out of pocket or go without. Since my car is insured the insurance company will simply buy me a new one, but you're hosed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh wait I think I misunderstood your insurance plan. Never mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

On the other hand under your scheme if I drive into your shitbox car you'll have to buy a replacement out of pocket or go without. Since my car is insured the insurance company will simply buy me a new one, but you're hosed.

I could literally buy a new car with the amount I have spent on insurance that has done nothing. And I will still have to do that anyway when it craps out, so the insurance is basically doubling the cost of the car for no benefit to me.

And I only have the loving car so I can go to work anyway so they should loving pay for it as well anyway.

So much loving money spent on a bunch of poo poo I don't want and only need because society's a loving racket.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 12, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Microplastics posted:

Is it possible to get insurance that costs £1 a year but the excess is like £1,000,000 or something. I just want to be able to drive around without being illegal and if I wreck the vehicle it goes in the bin
That's basically Third-Party Only insurance. In practice it's often little cheaper (or sometimes even reported as more expensive) because the demographic that use it are more likely to have accidents. (eg young drivers with their first car, who are inexperienced and possibly thrill seeking. )

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/31/third-party-insurance-holders-pay-more-money-for-less-cover

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 12, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I lost 16 years of No claims purely because owning a car in London is a money pit. (gently caress)swings and roundabouts eh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

e: Let's make the move to a golf cart society.
Hard agree. You'd still have to deal with the racial justice and systemic bias issues

but at least the worst they could do as individuals is fall on their side with their wheels spinning in the air.

I'd be fine with a 15 minute city where I could ride a golf cart to the public transport terminus to get wherever I want to go for a sensible price. Class them like a Class 3 mobility scooter and you solve the third party insurance issue too. Golf cart suburbs would be far better than BMW IFV suburbs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Anyway. The car loan market is about to implode in America apparently, causing another cascade of hedged fuckery. So let’s all enjoy that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of energy, why do the suppliers all seem to say that I can switch to them, while the price comparison sites all say "no-one can switch, we aren't even going to show you comparisons because switching is literally unavailable right now"?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Because it's a scam, much like most provision of basic services in the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hello, I would like 230V +10%/-6% RMS at 50Hz AC please.
Would you like 1 or 3 of those?
Only 1 should do for now thank you.
Would you like a special rate at night for storage heaters in exchange for slightly higher daytime prices?
No thank you, I don't have have storage heaters, but thank you for the offer.
Would you like 50 different choices of colour header on your bill, 45 of which are facing bankruptcy, and the other 5 are overwhelmed and won't let you switch?
No thank you, that sounds stupid as poo poo, who wants that?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Diet Crack posted:

Because it's a scam, much like most provision of basic services in the UK.

And making it as complicated and time consuming and baffling as possible is absolutely a marketing tactic

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My plan to stay warm this winter is to burn down more pubs.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of energy, why do the suppliers all seem to say that I can switch to them, while the price comparison sites all say "no-one can switch, we aren't even going to show you comparisons because switching is literally unavailable right now"?

Woah, I just realized I haven't got any 'switch to us' junk mail the last few months.
Usually the mail box gets one or two a week
And gently caress of Virgin, not going to swap my internet to your shittier version that costs more.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 12, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kingturnip posted:

If I had kids, I'd actually want some choice in which school they went to, because I spend time in schools for my job and some of them are proper poo poo.
If you have no choice, and your local one is run by morons or some Multi-Academy Trust that spends more time min-maxing the salaries of the executives than on recruiting teachers (i.e., also morons), then your options are either to suck it up and spend a bunch of time at home teaching your child, or move home.

Parents being allowed to do this is why things are poo poo for society and the school system as a whole. They aren't allowed to do this in Finland btw.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Virgin are weird. They sometimes don’t even do the “I’m leaving” trick. They whacked my mums broadband and TV up by about 20 a month and I did the calls and went all the way and they wouldn’t budge. So just did it, sacked them off and got Sky for a much cheaper price and better service. Weird company

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Anyway. The car loan market is about to implode in America apparently, causing another cascade of hedged fuckery. So let’s all enjoy that

Haven't they been saying that for a while?

Got a link to anything so I can doomread?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Parents being allowed to do this is why things are poo poo for society and the school system as a whole. They aren't allowed to do this in Finland btw.

The alternative option is to have OFSTED actually do a competent job, but that would rely on breaking the Govt's control over OFSTED, which doesn't seem likely

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

I could literally buy a new car with the amount I have spent on insurance that has done nothing. And I will still have to do that anyway when it craps out, so the insurance is basically doubling the cost of the car for no benefit to me.

And I only have the loving car so I can go to work anyway so they should loving pay for it as well anyway.

So much loving money spent on a bunch of poo poo I don't want and only need because society's a loving racket.

You pay for insurance because when you make a mistake driving, and everyone does, that mistake could result in millions of pounds of damages. And I'm not talking about damages to 'expensive poo poo', I'm talking about injuring people so severely you in effect ruin their life. Civil settlements for loss of limb regularly run into 5 figures, paralysis even higher.

Now imagine you had to pay for that out of your own pocket. You couldn't, so that person has their life ruined by your mistake, and then suffers financially for the rest of their life.

That's the benefit to insurance.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Late to energy chat earlier in the thread, but I mentioned a few weeks back I'd moved over from a flexible tarrif to agile octopus. I got my first bill in and it's about 36% cheaper than the flex tarrif I was on, without doing much different. A few things to note:

I was away for >2 weeks, during that time I was using base load only, so stuff like keeping the freezer running, a laptop I use as a server, and any items on standby or clocks, etc. agile was still cheaper because the average unit rate was less and the standing charge was less.

While I was here, I made a very mild effort to schedule energy use but only when it was convenient to do so. I run a dehumidifier in our basement and had it automatically turn off during the 4pm-7pm timeslot which is the only time of day so far that agile is more expensive than flexible. On the days when agile had a real drop in cost, usually saturdays or sundays, I'd plan to put the laundry and hot water tank heater on in the cheap periods.

One sunday, the cost of electricity was negative for about two hours. That was enough to get paid about 6p to heat a 300L water tank to 50C.

If you can manage your energy use a bit to avoid the 4pm-7pm slot I can't think of a way in which agile would be more expensive than either the current flex offerings or fixed tarrifs for the time being.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Feeling old and that maybe it's time to get an eye test. Any tricks better than starting at whatever services at the local boots or specsavers etc?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Get both done at the same time for a multi-buy bargain

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Get both done at the same time for a multi-buy bargain

The face eyes, the brown eye, and uhhh...the meatus

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Feeling old and that maybe it's time to get an eye test. Any tricks better than starting at whatever services at the local boots or specsavers etc?

Get your prescription in hand when you leave regardless of what place you go to. If you have your prescription you can use online sites to get the actual glasses for 30% of the price

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

That's the benefit to insurance.
That all makes sense for things that are a privilege to own, like a business employing workers or a car in 1940, or for things that have niche uses in general life, like an excavator or a firearm. The problem is with the gutting of public transport and the rise of car oriented cities cars are one of the few things that are both a necessity and capable of going wrong in lethal ways, so in that case mandatory insurance becomes in effect a regressive tax levied by a private company for a supposed social benefit even without going into the discriminatory algorithms.

That's the sort of thing that mostly got replaced with state or public guarantees during the progressive and post-war compact eras after seeing the various ways friendly societies and mutuals could go wrong when tasked with basic services to life, cars just stopped being an upper-middle class thing a bit too late for that in Europe, so it's mostly places like post-apartheid South Africa that said "huh maybe predatory insurers and under/uninsured drivers aren't up to the task of compensation for bodily harm". And then the insurance companies suddenly got less bad once they were offering optional extras rather than mandatory levies.

There's nothing stopping anyone else copying that though.

Or we could just go back to walkable cities and good public transport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5WJrQik2o

Failed Imagineer posted:

The face eyes, the brown eye, and uhhh...the meatus
Worst wheatus cover band. Strongly dislike the sound.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's not nearly as common over here as in the US, either. The council can send people round to check you're actually doing it right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Get your prescription in hand when you leave regardless of what place you go to. If you have your prescription you can use online sites to get the actual glasses for 30% of the price

To be fair I did this the last time I got glasses a few years back and the presumably boat-from-China specials chipped within about 5 minutes of my getting them. This time I went to Specsavers and didn't feel unduly ripped off, plus they diagnosed me with blepharitis and recommended some drops which was helpful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

boat-from-China
Is that a crossword clue for 'junk'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Is that a crossword clue for 'junk'?

In this particular case, yes.
(Hmm there must be some extra complicated crossword clue way of making this refer to the Chinese sailing vessels)