Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

duz posted:

Animal House close for all movies.

Ernest Lawrence, upon falling in love with the hydrogen bomb, ended up eloping with it in Las Vegas in 1952. They were last seen honeymooning in the Bikini Atoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Irishman works a bit different because the titles aren't just at the end but throughout and sometimes for complete background characters (and also for JFKs dad)

It really reinforces how brutal and treacherous the world of organized crime is that almost all these guys, who are barely in the film, died violently and probably killed by their friends.

Except for Anthony Giacalone of course.

It's that Steadicam scene from Goodfellas where he introduces a bunch of random side gangsters but stretched and mixed with Animal House.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 12, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just watched David Wain comedy They Came Together. I understand and accept every single critique levied against this film, but it is still one of the top-20 funniest movies of all time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

Just watched David Wain comedy They Came Together. I understand and accept every single critique levied against this film, but it is still one of the top-20 funniest movies of all time

Agreed it’s loving hilarious and one of my main comfort movies

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You can say that again.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Gorn Myson posted:

You can say that again.

I understand and accept every single critique levied against this film, but it is still one of the top-20 funniest movies of all time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mutantIke posted:

I understand and accept every single critique levied against this film, but it is still one of the top-20 funniest movies of all time

Me with terrifier 2

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

mutantIke posted:

You can have that pussy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEjfrk0UXEY

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Tell me about it.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Gorn Myson posted:

Tell me about it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mutantIke posted:

You can say that again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mutantIke posted:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Is that from the screenplay? I'd love to get a copy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just rewatched Office Space on a nice big screen and holy crap I fall in love with this movie all over again every time. It is just so beautifully storyboarded. Every shot is perfectly timed, perfectly staged, all the props just-so; there are very few music cues but where they're used they're used exceedingly well. The "drat it feels good to be a gangster" scene is one of the all-time great montages, lyric-synced down to the syllable.

Some movies make me feel like I can just picture the storyboard wall shot for shot for shot, and this is maybe the first example I would pick to exemplify that. It's like a live-action animated feature film before that sequence of words lost all meaning.

*extreme zoom-in on Lumbergh's lips: STAAAAAAPLEEERRR*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mutantIke posted:

Is that from the screenplay? I'd love to get a copy.

It was on the website, which sadly no longer exists. It's on the poster too

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CPL593H posted:

"Oh I listen to everything."

Except country and rap. I like hip hop sometimes but only if it really has something to say intellectually

I don't know if that person exists anymore, the last time I saw it was a kid in a Greenday T shirt over a long sleeved shirt like a decade ago

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 12, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Gorn Myson posted:

You can say that again.

That's the only scene I remember from that movie and it was pretty great. He knows you know it's obvious and stupid and annoying and you're in on the joke that this isn't actually funny or clever, you're having fun together with the writers. That's my favourite thing about Wain, he's silly!

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 12, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Hell, even the poster has jokes on it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Peccadillo posted:

Except country and rap. I like hip hop sometimes but only if it really has something to say intellectually

I don't know if that person exists anymore, the last time I saw it was a kid in a Greenday T shirt over a long sleeved shirt like a decade ago

Country seems more likely to be the exception than rap these days, mostly because modern bootlick pop-country is truly dire.

That said I've got very little musical taste myself outside particular nostalgia. Some people just got tin ears or never had the opportunity to develop much taste for whatever reason. I'll listen to drat near anything. (Except Missy Higgins. 00s radio overplaying ruined that)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Is there a word for when a film reviewer seems so wedded to the idea that protagonist = hero that they draw the conclusion that the screenwriter is morally depraved and/or nihilistic?

Cause holy poo poo have I seen some bad takes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah average twitter user

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I think you mean "average user of X.com, the Everything Site (formerly Twitter)".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kind of wondering when Elon is going to lobby to change the name of Tesla to Car-X and finish up the x-fecta

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

That's the only scene I remember from that movie and it was pretty great. He knows you know it's obvious and stupid and annoying and you're in on the joke that this isn't actually funny or clever, you're having fun together with the writers. That's my favourite thing about Wain, he's silly!
If you don't remember Christopher Meloni's bathroom incident you're a liar.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure Einstein died on the way back to his home planet.
Einstein was erased from history in 1927 by Soviet Premier Tim Curry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mutantIke posted:

Paul Rudd's whole career culminates in him being a romcom smartass.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Rudd's in the new season of Only Murders in the Building and if I have a complaint about him it's that he's too drat charming to truly come off as the complete and total rear end in a top hat he's supposed to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's that movie with the incredible stunt of a guy falling down a huge hill toward camera with giant rocks tumbling beside him? And iirc he had to do two takes?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure Einstein died on the way back to his home planet.

he died while awaiting trial under mysterious circumstances

edit: read this wrong

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

feedmyleg posted:

What's that movie with the incredible stunt of a guy falling down a huge hill toward camera with giant rocks tumbling beside him? And iirc he had to do two takes?
belmondo in le casse?

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1509223346956873728

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If I was in that situation I would’ve simply grabbed the side to prevent myself falling down the hill.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:holymoley:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Perfect! Thank you. I was talking about stunts with someone and wanted to reference this.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's insane that he can just get up from that. I'd be barfing my guts out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be dead from a rock smashing into the back of my head

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

It was on the website, which sadly no longer exists. It's on the poster too

I love this poster because it looks like a run of the mill rom com poster so you know a lot of people glanced at that on a Red Box or streaming thing and decided to check it out thinking it was one of the usual. There's no way that wasn't 100% deliberate. I'm glad to see some love for They Came Together because it seemed pretty overlooked and underappreciated. They don't make a lot of these kind of comedies anymore and I'm guessing that wave of terrible (blank) Movie films from the 2000s banged the nail in the coffin of Naked Gun type stuff. It's a shame. So that's one of many things that makes this movie such a treat.

anatomi posted:

If you don't remember Christopher Meloni's bathroom incident you're a liar.

That's my favorite part of the movie and why I really wish Christopher Meloni would do more comedy. Between this and his previoous collaboration with the people from The State it's pretty clear he's got the chops for it.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love that he just fixes his hair and casually strolls away.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

In Europe it's very normal. People fall down hills to get to work

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saw Dazed and Confused for the first time yesterday. Pretty crazy how much the movie is just American Graffiti time shifted twenty years. Good Film though, Linklater is a drat fine filmmaker when he let's his more odd Film making inclinations take a backseat. Still think I'd put before sunrise on the top of his list though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CPL593H posted:

I love that he just fixes his hair and casually strolls away.

It's excellent

Martman posted:

In Europe it's very normal. People fall down hills to get to work

As an ignorant American, I guess I just never learned how to do this. I just ride my rascal scooter to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Enrico Fermi: shot four times at a dog track in Philadelphia, 1952

This really made me laugh.