Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

didn't dankpods also say something about how the foldable screens all get a huge crease where it folds that you can't get rid of, once you fold it enough

having seen a couple of models of foldable phones out and about i don't think the crease actually is a big deal (not really wear afaict, the screen is just not pulled so hard as to be taut by the mechanism). can see it mostly if you reflect a light off the screen, but the thing is that you can't then see the screen *anyway* as there's a light reflecting off it, you'll pretty naturally orient your phone in a way where it is basically invisible.

the bigger deal remains that all those phones that all those phones have rapidly broken in various ways. while costing ridiculously much.

e: i mean, maybe a more significant crease is possible with wear? but then here's the good news: the screen or mechanism will fail in some other way long before that.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
how could android become so bad, they had the google labs aptitude test and everyting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I had one of those loathsome things too. It was pretty great though because it had a real GPS chip in it two years before any iPhone did

i thought iphone 3g (2008) had gps?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Last Chance posted:

i thought iphone 3g (2008) had gps?

it did

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I love Android, and I hate Google.

I've got a cheap Xiaomei phone and it's nice, but the Google play Store and Google play services need to die.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Votskomit posted:

I love Android

*nixon voice* Jesus Christ

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

*nixon voice* Jesus Christ

Android is my actual job. Either I have Stockholm Syndrome or my ideology of loving anything FOSS makes me blind to androids problems.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Votskomit posted:

Android is my actual job. Either I have Stockholm Syndrome or my ideology of loving anything FOSS makes me blind to androids problems.

And yet you use a phone designed by serial GPL violators. Interesting.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

akadajet posted:

And yet you use a phone designed by serial GPL violators. Interesting.

That sucks. Any recommendations of someone who doesn't do that?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Votskomit posted:

That sucks. Any recommendations of someone who doesn't do that?

I don't really care I just looked at their wikipedia article for like 1 minute lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
simply buy a purism librem 5, an open source, ethica—hahahahahahahavahahaha lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Buttery Smooth

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is project butter still underway at the Anroid offices?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

is project butter still underway at the Anroid offices?

butter in the ball pit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVpBqOsC7o

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
project buttstuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pixel fold review posted:

Form factor and workmanship, on the other hand, are convincing. The former in particular is a unique selling point on the European market. The Pixel Fold's gaps are flush and fit perfectly, but it creaks and cracks audibly under light torsional stress. The display-to-surface ratio of 83 percent could also be better. The IPX8 certification, which certifies the Google foldable as waterproof, is a positive aspect.

The stainless steel hinge makes a very solid and high-quality impression, and the foldable display also seems stable, but its seam is very pronounced. This is also due to the fact that the Pixel Fold cannot be fully opened at a 180-degree angle, but stops at about 178 degrees.

The smartphone comes in the colors Obsidian and Porcelain.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at that angle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

love the build quality on my creaky $2k plastic phone that doesn’t open all the way

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

love the build quality on my creaky $2k plastic phone that doesn’t open all the way

At least you’re not paying TTTim’s Apple tax

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

the X in IPX8 means it has absolutely no protection from grit and fine particles. They have no confidence in the hinge.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the first galaxy fold (with the famous load-bearing screen protector) came out in april 2019

four and a half years later and the phones are still expensive fragile crease-bearing pieces of poo poo that can be disabled by stray flecks of grit

i assume apple has a whole lab of prototype foldable iphones that will never be released because the underlying technology is just too unreliable

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Apple needs a foldable iPhone soon or iPhones won't be worth buying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

the first galaxy fold (with the famous load-bearing screen protector) came out in april 2019

four and a half years later and the phones are still expensive fragile crease-bearing pieces of poo poo that can be disabled by stray flecks of grit

i assume apple has a whole lab of prototype foldable iphones that will never be released because the underlying technology is just too unreliable

yeah agreed

i think they’re an inevitability, kind of like widespread ar, but also like the latter, the technology isn’t there and won’t be for years

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

It never was tbh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

It never was tbh

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

they had one and it had the same problems so they got rid of it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

they may not have a useless folding gimmick but at least the software works

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What a piece of poo poo. Who even wants this? Why?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you know google is hosed when they can't even fold something properly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

What a piece of poo poo. Who even wants this? Why?

morons. because they are dumb

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Votskomit posted:

it used to be mine too until i got laid off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

until i got laid off

i think i should be happy for you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can be yes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The thing about Android is they pay you in buckets of money because of the angst

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

it's called Material Design because it doesn't stay flat and develops creases as you use it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

buttery flat is slated for next years release

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

it used to be mine too until i got laid off

I got laid off in May. Company folded overnight with no warning.

What interesting times we live in.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Votskomit posted:

I got laid off in May. Company folded overnight with no warning.

What interesting times we live in.

your company must have been made by google — it’s the expert on folding and sudden failures

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Assepoester posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/jonathan-blow-c-is-a-weird-mess

Not sure this has panned out for him since he hasn't released a single game since he made this language up

dude’s last name is “blow”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh, consider: c++ is a weird mess.