Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I swapped my Delta fan with a Huaying one today, and can vouch for it making a pretty noticeable difference. I've been playing Death Stranding and found the fan to be so loud that it was drowning out some of the sound at ~50% volume.

After the fan swap, it's much better - it sounds more like just air whooshing alone, as opposed to the almost-whistling sound the original fan was putting out. There's a little bit of whine that is barely noticeable with the new one when it goes above 6500rpm from time to time, when temperatures start to pass ~82C.

Not a life-changing difference, but enough to not feel like I need headphones to block the fan noise out, like before.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Way to tell on yourself

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

pig labeled 3 posted:

I swapped my stock fan with a delta one today, and can vouch for it making a pretty noticeable difference. I've been playing Death Stranding and found the fan to be so loud that it was drowning out some of the sound at ~50% volume.

After the fan swap, it's much better - it sounds more like just air whooshing alone, as opposed to the almost-whistling sound the original fan was putting out. There's a little bit of whine that is barely noticeable with the new one when it goes above 6500rpm from time to time, when temperatures start to pass ~82C.

Not a life-changing difference, but enough to not feel like I need headphones to block the fan noise out, like before.

Wait... you swapped your stock fan for a Delta fan?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Some mean boys on the train laughed when I told them it wasn't a switch it was a steam deck, in a very kiwi accent

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steem deek

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That's why they were banned in Australia

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They call it the Seattle Steamer there.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I was playing dolphin and ended up enabling the built in fps overlay and I’m not sure how I did it. Googling is just telling me to toggle it on the (…) button menu but it’s already set to off there. I tried toggling on and off and doesn’t seem to do anything, curious if anyone else has run into this or if I just stumbled onto some button combo I can’t recreate

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Vic posted:

Wait... you swapped your stock fan for a Delta fan?

Whoops, I had it the wrong way around.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

RME posted:

I was playing dolphin and ended up enabling the built in fps overlay and I’m not sure how I did it. Googling is just telling me to toggle it on the (…) button menu but it’s already set to off there. I tried toggling on and off and doesn’t seem to do anything, curious if anyone else has run into this or if I just stumbled onto some button combo I can’t recreate

hold down the steam button and there's a list of shortcuts, i think one of them is for fps maybe?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

alexandriao posted:

hold down the steam button and there's a list of shortcuts, i think one of them is for fps maybe?

I didn’t see one when I tried

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My RMA deck had a Delta that was louder than my old one which I think was supposed to be the better one. I ordered one from ifixit and it was another Delta I believe. I swapped out but it made no difference. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Way to tell on yourself

It's so weird; I can handle inverted sticks no problem. In fact, I used to prefer it. But when it comes to gyro, I can't do it.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

My RMA deck had a Delta that was louder than my old one which I think was supposed to be the better one. I ordered one from ifixit and it was another Delta I believe. I swapped out but it made no difference. :v:

I got my Huaying one off Amazon, just going off of the pictures and the reviews to confirm it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i heard moonlight was getting killed by nvidia, is the steam remote play feature supposed to work with the deck? i tried it briefly and it just crashed my deck when i tried to launch a game :negative:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Parsec works really well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Computer posted:

i heard moonlight was getting killed by nvidia, is the steam remote play feature supposed to work with the deck? i tried it briefly and it just crashed my deck when i tried to launch a game :negative:
It's not Moonlight that Nvidia killed afaik, it's the Gamestream protocol that Moonlight served as an unofficial client for. You can use Sunshine to set up similar game streaming server to use with Moonlight, from what I understand, though I haven't had the chance to set either up personally.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

It's not Moonlight that Nvidia killed afaik, it's the Gamestream protocol that Moonlight served as an unofficial client for. You can use Sunshine to set up similar game streaming server to use with Moonlight, from what I understand, though I haven't had the chance to set either up personally.

Yes, Sunshine replaces Nvidia's gamestream and provides a bunch of it's own protocols for compatibility with other cards.

Moonlight then connects to Sunshine as if it was nvidia gamestream. Works even better.

Vic fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 13, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

Yes, Sunshine replaces Nvidia's gamestream and provides a bunch of it's own protocols for compatibility with other cards.

not super keen on installing new drivers and stuff - does it actually measure up? the reason i was so happy about moonlight is that gamestream performs 1000x better than any other streaming protocol i've tried - better bitrate, less lag, honestly kinda magic

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

not super keen on installing new drivers and stuff - does it actually measure up? the reason i was so happy about moonlight is that gamestream performs 1000x better than any other streaming protocol i've tried - better bitrate, less lag, honestly kinda magic

You're not installing new drivers, just the Sunshine server. And yes it taps into the same video buffer of your card.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah it should Just Work. Although if you're willing to do a bit more setup there's a third party host called Sunshine that Moonlight can connect with

https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

e: beaten

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RME posted:

Sometimes this just happens. A restart should cure it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Sometimes this just happens. A restart should cure it.

Words can not express how dumb I feel for not trying “turn it off then turn it on again” but it sure did fix it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Do sunshine and see my previous post if you can't get it to work. There's a decent YouTube for it.

https://youtu.be/SewuUleDVug

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I got an itch to finally make an effort to play The Saboteur. Every time i've tried in the past on PC i always came across either the weird ingame map bug or controller issues.

It was all surprisingly easy to be honest. I just installed an app called Lutris which let me log into GoG to directly download and install the game and then i linked it to Steam as a non-steam game.

There were a couple of small tweaks i had to make based on recommended settings (like telling it to force use a proton build), but it was all relatively straightforward and the game runs pretty well out of the box (a couple of stutters but nothing gamebreaking so far).

Is it like that for pretty much any non-steam game now or did I just luck out on a game that works.

I also went a roundabout way of installing CoD4: Modern Warfare on the deck by using PS3 emulation. I vaguely recall that it was a right pain in the arse to get the Steam version working and the controls were wonky or something, or there's some Windows login bullshit? Though that might have been on the PC rather than deck.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RME posted:

I didn’t see one when I tried

The performance overlay in the top left? If so its kinda bugged and gets stuck on sometimes.

You gotta go into the ... menu look under performace. Change the perfomance overlay level then toggle the thing on, then off using the option at the bottom of the menu. It should be gone after you reboot.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

Suburban Dad posted:

Do sunshine and see my previous post if you can't get it to work. There's a decent YouTube for it.

https://youtu.be/SewuUleDVug

I got this working last week and it's really really good. I really recommend also getting the MoonDeck plugin for Decky (requires you to run an extra little program on your pc called MoonBuddy). That gives you quick buttons on the steam deck under the plugin to wake on lan or shutdown the host, and it adds an extra little moon icon to every game page on your Steam Deck that if you select it will automatically open up steam and load the game on your host pc and start streaming. When you quit the game it will stop streaming cleanly (in my experience). It also seems to get 16:10 over moonlight working on the Deck in a way that I couldn't get working with just Sunshine and Moonlight alone.

Am currently playing Baldurs Gate 3 on the deck this way, with Moondeck set to a custom resolution of 2560 x 1600 so that BG3 runs at that res on the host, to get 1:1 pixel mapped super sampling on the deck which looks great. I set a custom bitrate of 45000 on Moondeck as well. This looks and plays like native to me with the bonus that the steam deck fans never spin up and I can play BG3 in ultra quality in bed. With the WOL and shutdown host I don't even have to move to turn on my desktop pc or shut it down when I'm done. I am living the dream!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Debuffed posted:

I got this working last week and it's really really good. I really recommend also getting the MoonDeck plugin for Decky (requires you to run an extra little program on your pc called MoonBuddy). That gives you quick buttons on the steam deck under the plugin to wake on lan or shutdown the host, and it adds an extra little moon icon to every game page on your Steam Deck that if you select it will automatically open up steam and load the game on your host pc and start streaming. When you quit the game it will stop streaming cleanly (in my experience). It also seems to get 16:10 over moonlight working on the Deck in a way that I couldn't get working with just Sunshine and Moonlight alone.

Am currently playing Baldurs Gate 3 on the deck this way, with Moondeck set to a custom resolution of 2560 x 1600 so that BG3 runs at that res on the host, to get 1:1 pixel mapped super sampling on the deck which looks great. I set a custom bitrate of 45000 on Moondeck as well. This looks and plays like native to me with the bonus that the steam deck fans never spin up and I can play BG3 in ultra quality in bed. With the WOL and shutdown host I don't even have to move to turn on my desktop pc or shut it down when I'm done. I am living the dream!

Me saving this post

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

is Sunshine really that much better than GFE? I'll give it a shot but I've been reluctant in case it's worse and I can't go back since they've made it impossible to install GFE again now if you lose it, I think

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have GFE set up via shortcut to edge, seems to work I think?

BG3 good, but think I prefer big screens for grand tactical encounters.

Tried Shadow of Doubt, neat game but too fiddly on the evidence management board, and extremely weird default controller setup I reckon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t get my Deck to see MoonBuddy, though it’s running on my desktop and set to go at startup and in the Windows firewall exception list. I wonder what’s going on there, the debugging experience for these sort of network things is sort of awful on Windows I find.

Perhaps instead of working this morning I will try to get that sorted so that I might enjoy some high-fidelity Baldur’s Couch.

(I wonder if the wake-on-lan stuff can be made to work over Tailscale. That’s probably too much to ask.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I tried using Moondeck and it completely freaks out and panics whenever a third party launcher is involved, got my PC stuck in 1280x800 resolution for a while trying to launch Cyberpunk before I was able to launch the regular Moonlight app and kill it.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

Subjunctive posted:

I can’t get my Deck to see MoonBuddy, though it’s running on my desktop and set to go at startup and in the Windows firewall exception list. I wonder what’s going on there, the debugging experience for these sort of network things is sort of awful on Windows I find.

Perhaps instead of working this morning I will try to get that sorted so that I might enjoy some high-fidelity Baldur’s Couch.

(I wonder if the wake-on-lan stuff can be made to work over Tailscale. That’s probably too much to ask.)

Not sure if it is anything to do with your issue but I was wondering why mine wasn't working properly either (I would get some sort of error when trying to launch games using moondeck, but normal moonlight was working fine), because I hadn't done this step in the moondeck setup which I feel is sorta missable - https://github.com/FrogTheFrog/moondeck-buddy/wiki/Sunshine-setup

re: the issue with launchers above, yeah I could see how that could mess things up and now I think about it I think I had a similar issue with BG3 until I added the --skip-launcher command to BG3 in Steam. It's working great with BG3 and the one other game I tested it with, Remnant 2.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Me saving this post

Added it here too:
https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Sunshine

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quake 2 is really fun on this but I kinda wanna grab Dave the Diver until AC6 launches.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What all gets flattened or lost during steam deck updates?

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

tuyop posted:

What all gets flattened or lost during steam deck updates?

I think it's everything outside your user home folder and SD card? So steam games, discovery store apps, and flatpaks aren't affected, but anything installed via pacman gets wiped along with any config changes outside your home folder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I think it's everything outside your user home folder and SD card? So steam games, discovery store apps, and flatpaks aren't affected, but anything installed via pacman gets wiped along with any config changes outside your home folder.

Ah so the best way to maintain stuff like SSH access is to make a script about it that's in your home folder? Kind of a pain but I guess that makes sense.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Has anyone got the enhanced doom versions (the nightdive ones) from gog working on deck? I tried a few Proton versions and the best I managed was being able to run them desktop mode. Otherwise it is just black screens all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I think it's everything outside your user home folder and SD card?
/etc is on an overlayfs so systemd config/links do not get wiped on updates. /usr isn't though.

tuyop posted:

Ah so the best way to maintain stuff like SSH access is to make a script about it that's in your home folder?
No, your user password and sshd configuration will persist.