Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I enjoyed that overlarge ASM that I could barely stuff into a bag.

Unless I'm mistaken, Judge Dredd has kept a linear, consistent single canon timeline for like almost fifty years? It's pretty great, honestly. But I think the hour's a little late for us to start asking Marvel to bother with any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FoneBone posted:

i liked how Al Ewing explained the sliding timescale in his Ultimates run:

https://twitter.com/StellarAvenger/status/1617563880330346500/photo/1

Yeah jokes aside I guess you could say the terraforming of Mars and destruction of krakoa give at least galas 2 and 3 some weight

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Just make it official that Franklin Richards has been Peter Panning for half a century and everything else warps around that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

Has there been more than one Hellfire Gala? Feels like I've been hearing about it forever.

Hellfire Gala was an annual event for the mutant storylines. Whether that continues to be the case remains to be seen.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was really cool and smart and read Doomsday Clock, and Johns kind of defined the DC timeline similarly. It always starts with Clark being found by the Kents and it always happens however far back that was from "now" whenever now will be through the decades.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
What is this Hickman G.O.D.S. thing that’s getting teased? I saw a promo at the end of Moon Knight #26, is that implying Badr is going to be involved?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danknificent posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Judge Dredd has kept a linear, consistent single canon timeline for like almost fifty years? It's pretty great, honestly. But I think the hour's a little late for us to start asking Marvel to bother with any of that.

Yeah, I recall that Dredd and other Judges get anti-aging treatments which is why Joe's sticking around, although it doesn't work for Psi-Judges but Anderson is never drawn in like her 70's as far as I know.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

srypher posted:

What is this Hickman G.O.D.S. thing that’s getting teased? I saw a promo at the end of Moon Knight #26, is that implying Badr is going to be involved?

It's Hickman's next big thing. We don't know anything about it and they've been teasing it in some books. Just that it'll be the Powers That Be and the Natural Order of Things. I'd guess Konshu might fit in there somewhere.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I’ve enjoyed the current Deadpool run but it’s kinda feeling less like a Deadpool comic and more like a springboard for the creator’s John Wick assassin organization ripoff. In the DC world Hawkgirl feels the same way, like the creator wanted to do a story with their OC from the YA comic they did but had to also use Hawkgirl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FoneBone posted:

i liked how Al Ewing explained the sliding timescale in his Ultimates run:

https://twitter.com/StellarAvenger/status/1617563880330346500/photo/1

Even if it is basically just a streamlined version of DC's old "Hypertime" concept

Danknificent posted:

Similarly Astro City anchors itself to real time, also I think Marvel could potentially fix the timescale issue, it just would require them to do something along the lines of what DC did after Infinite Crisis and have the entire line do a timeskip after a major event so things can be synchronized(though unlike DC which only jumped ahead a year, I think Marvel would need to do a bigger one for this to work, like a 5 to 10 year sized one)

Lucifunk posted:

I was really cool and smart and read Doomsday Clock, and Johns kind of defined the DC timeline similarly. It always starts with Clark being found by the Kents and it always happens however far back that was from "now" whenever now will be through the decades.

Yeah that was neat, Doomsday Clock was messy but has some fun ideas

particularly both it teasing a future DC vs Marvel crossover and having Doctor Manhattan giving his powers to a successor and ensuring he gets a good upbringing like Clark gets with the Kents so that the Watchmen universe can have a proper Superman equivalent

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should really let Cyclops turn 35. Hell he should be 39 by this point

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

site posted:

Yeah jokes aside I guess you could say the terraforming of Mars and destruction of krakoa give at least galas 2 and 3 some weight

Gala 1 was the terraforming

Gala 2 was when mutant resurrection became public kknowledge

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I recall that Dredd and other Judges get anti-aging treatments which is why Joe's sticking around, although it doesn't work for Psi-Judges but Anderson is never drawn in like her 70's as far as I know.

How long was Cass in Boing! for? Should be able to shave off a few years due to that, otherwise…I got nuthin’.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Terraforming Mars was the first Gala. Which you have to admit is a pretty spectacular entrance.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yvonmukluk posted:

What was it, out of interest? The Peter/Felicia relationship? Because it seemed like they never really did anything with it as far as I’m aware.

I don't even care if they never did anything with it, it was the only thing I actually gave half a poo poo about in AMS since Beyond ended :/

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

srypher posted:

Obviously Hickman is going to be writing Good Old Daredevil Stories

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Breevoort is going to be taking over as editor of X-Men. Not right away but it’s happening.

I wonder what that means for Jordan D. White? It seems like he’s done a good job with the Krakoan era, is he going to take over Avengers or what? Getting made EIC?

Edit: or editing the Spider-books? Really feels like ASM is in a rut right now.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 12, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Loving the fraction punisher run.
I never want to read another thing drawn by Howard Chaykin he draws like AI fucks up

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I remember there being Thor worshippers in the 90s 2099 books, but has there been a modern religion worshipping Thor in the last few decades? Seems pretty easy to prove that that particular god exists when he's on the news all the time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lucifunk posted:

I remember there being Thor worshippers in the 90s 2099 books, but has there been a modern religion worshipping Thor in the last few decades? Seems pretty easy to prove that that particular god exists when he's on the news all the time.

Recent 2099 comics within the past five years still have Thor worshippers too, present-day worshippers seem to be in short supply.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's something in one of the X books where a character (maybe Doctor Nemesis?) postulates about how reliant gods are on worshippers at different levels of power, with someone like Thor not actually needing worshippers at all any more, because it's Thor, everyone knows Thor exists.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was someone in the first issue of aaron's thor run where they prayed to him to fix a drought and he came

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

there was someone in the first issue of aaron's thor run where they prayed to him to fix a drought and he came

I didn’t know that could save crops.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you pray to a god of the Vikings you're pretty much asking for a boatload of Norse seamen.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

site posted:

Wait, a god that actually does their job? Maybe there's something to this Thor fella

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kulkasha posted:

Wait, a god that actually does their job? Maybe there's something to this Thor fella

I mean, do you see any frost giants still walking around?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kulkasha posted:

I wouldn't give him too much credit I think it only ever happened the one time

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thor dealing with all the white supremacists who worship him now IRL would be interesting but maybe not a very fun comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Party Boat posted:

There's something in one of the X books where a character (maybe Doctor Nemesis?) postulates about how reliant gods are on worshippers at different levels of power, with someone like Thor not actually needing worshippers at all any more, because it's Thor, everyone knows Thor exists.

It’s one of the Legion of X data pages. I forget what the story was about exactly, but I remember the Arakki summoning desperate, nearly forgotten gods, that we’re looking for followers, and kicking their rear end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rick posted:

Thor dealing with all the white supremacists who worship him now IRL would be interesting but maybe not a very fun comic.

Thor would berate and/or kick the poo poo out of them.

If I were living in the Marvel Universe and it came down to a moment where I had to pray for help you bet your rear end Thor would be the first one on the list.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s one of the Legion of X data pages. I forget what the story was about exactly, but I remember the Arakki summoning desperate, nearly forgotten gods, that we’re looking for followers, and kicking their rear end.

Found it in Legion of X #2:

It was because a trickster god found Arraki worshippers, so to test whether he was worthy of this they forced him to manifest and all fought him (he wasn't)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Codependent Poster posted:

Thor would berate and/or kick the poo poo out of them.

In Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder, issue #12 is all about Thor going around Earth and hanging out with his mortal friends. There's a one-panel gag of Thor calling down lightning to scare off a bunch of Not Westboro Baptist Church Really protestors.

I'd imagine all the wannabe-Viking white supremacist gangs in the 616 argue that Thor is a pretender, because the "real" Thor would agree with them instead of standing between them and their targets.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A few writers, most recently TNC have implied that Storm wasn't just worshipped as a goddess, but the very fact that she has been worshipped (and sometimes still is) actually increases her powers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Party Boat posted:

Found it in Legion of X #2:

It was because a trickster god found Arraki worshippers, so to test whether he was worthy of this they forced him to manifest and all fought him (he wasn't)

I'm pretty sure there's more people in that tribe that worships Steve Rogers as a god, and yet there's no Steve Rogers god out there. Poor science Nemesis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in 2023 her powers increase every time someone clicks like on this tweet

https://twitter.com/athleisure_monk/status/738618427909111808?s=20

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mulva posted:

I'm pretty sure there's more people in that tribe that worships Steve Rogers as a god, and yet there's no Steve Rogers god out there. Poor science Nemesis.

That's almost a palatable explanation for Hydra!Cap.

I loving hated Hydra!Cap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I kind of really hated all the stuff coming out of Legion of X. All these fantastic ideas but they just come out so loving pedestrian.

They give Warlock an astral form and its just a bald white dude. lmao.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
legion of x ended up not actually mattering at all. oh no, nimrod infected krakoa with the to virus and killed warlock, then brought back the secrets of krakoan gates! but actually orchis got gate access by paying off some old lady and nothing from legion was ever mentioned. also, legion himself hosed off afterward, with everything he built on arrako instantly ending with his absence. just a huge waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who doesn't worship Storm?