Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Cojawfee posted:

I am still annoyed that this show gets so much Jared Harris and The Expanse got so little.

That was a true injustice. His Dawes was such a great character that we got far too little of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Honestly I would probably be fine if they ditched miss swimsuit and miss gun and just made the whole show Empire versus Seldon.

Jarred Harris is fine, the Priests were fine, Empire is fine. But anything that's not them and a good chunk of Harris' time just loving drags because the characters are so shallow.

I mean c'mon, as a woman i am finding it hard to be invested and relate to the only two leads that are women, how do you gently caress up writing characters that badly lmao

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

alexandriao posted:

I mean c'mon, as a woman i am finding it hard to be invested and relate to the only two leads that are women, how do you gently caress up writing characters that badly lmao

Poorly written female characters are an Asimov trademark

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I appreciated the awkward realistic sex scene

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
3 kg of beer is like 8 normal US sized cans of beer, or 6 500 ml bottles of beer from Germany

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I can't describe why I dislike that queen girl's acting so much. It's like she got direction to play like a side character in spring break romcom.

Can't even tell if she really wants to find out her family's killer or just pretend to, based on the actress's acting.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 12, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Data Graham posted:

I appreciated the awkward realistic sex scene

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The DominionQueen, Gaal, and Salvor are all really annoying.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This show skirts the line of bad and good, it's not a hatewatch (yet), but parts of it might be. There's a lot of juicy stuff here, Jared Harris makes a lot of the stupid pseudo-scientific stuff work, it's always smart to get a thespian for roles like that since you really need that theatrical confidence to be able to sell all the silly bullshit. I love the party monks too, they're quickly becoming my favorite characters in the show. The Cleon saga continues to be entertaining and I don't mind the Queen too much; she's impulsive but the show makes it clear she's out of her element.

But drat, Gaal and Salvor are terrible characters made worse by the show's core story hinging around them. I don't think it's the actors fault necessarily, while Harris does make those scenes a lot more tolerable I think it's the writing for them that makes it hard to watch, they're written paradoxically as ultra competent idiots. Like the psychic dude who ambushed Salvor, he had a loving knife out, his actions make no sense if they were the person they said they were, there was red flags all over. There could have been more psychic manipulation that we (the viewer) are unaware of but it's a failure of storytelling if that's the case, it just comes off as sloppy.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 12, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's very funny how the show keeps finding excuse after excuse to have actors who appeared in previous seasons that occurred hundreds of years ago to come back to play another role or maybe the same role again with all the other actors who somehow either got cloned or went into cryosleep or are in a perpetual rebirth cycle or are immortal robots or have been manifested into an incorporeal AI body or who the gently caress knows what else is next.

Like that's basically the show's whole gimmick at this point, they might as well lean into it. It's a millennia-long timeline! Come see how we stretch out our original billed cast list across the whole timeline in sixteen different ways!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

But drat, Gaal and Salvor are terrible characters made worse by the show's core story hinging around them. I don't think it's the actors fault necessarily, while Harris does make those scenes a lot more tolerable I think it's the writing for them that makes it hard to watch, they're written paradoxically as ultra competent idiots.

They're standard hero-types. Temperamental, self-reliant, some kind of trauma and always serious or angry. Kinda bland and boring. Meanwhile they're on a side quest to fix Gaals fuckup which may be important in the abstract but neither affects the immediate conflict between Foundation and Empire nor the conflict within Empire.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Though the Gaal/Salvor/Hari plot is much more enjoyable to watch this season, it's still wild how much better the Empire plot is. Just the scene of Dusk and Dawn in the Memorium was more dramatic and gripping than every Gaal/Salvor combined.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

GodFish posted:

Though the Gaal/Salvor/Hari plot is much more enjoyable to watch this season, it's still wild how much better the Empire plot is. Just the scene of Dusk and Dawn in the Memorium was more dramatic and gripping than every Gaal/Salvor combined.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rachel House owns. Super happy to see her here playing a variation on the earth goddess antagonist archetype.

SCheeseman posted:

the psychic dude who ambushed Salvor, he had a loving knife out, his actions make no sense if they were the person they said they were, there was red flags all over. There could have been more psychic manipulation that we (the viewer) are unaware of but it's a failure of storytelling if that's the case, it just comes off as sloppy.

House has a line later in the episode where she talks about how Gaal and Salvor are vulnerable to overlooking inconsistencies during psychic manipulation. So yeah, I think the episode considered that to some degree.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 12, 2023

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
This episode was actually kinda good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I enjoy the show still but it really feels like there's zero coherence to anything. Oh now we go to some planet, there's a government guy executing people with gigantic spikes, oh now we are going to some desert planet where they randomly find Hari Seldon is alive for some reason, oh now we are on some forest planet and there's a weird psychic child god, who's actually an adult psychic oracle, who's evil???

It's total nonsense. If you told me to summarize what has happened so far I would really struggle to do so. There's a lot more bad comedy now? The overall theme seems to say that psychohistory sucks because it doesn't account for The Human Heart?? Corny, dumb, annoying characters. I still somehow find it entertaining though?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There is no psychic child god or god at all. Those people are just psychics and people mistaken them as gods. The child god was just a projection, smoke and mirrors.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Its a weekly scifi variety show that pays homage to different scifi shows of the past. Written by guys who have watched decent amount of pop culture but don't read any science fiction novels. Which makes this show so funny.

And Lee Pace just tries to save the show all by himself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
R Daneels supposed to be this cheeky per official lore?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

R Daneels supposed to be this cheeky per official lore?

No. Elijah Baley finds his aloof behaviour puzzling sometimes, but that hilarious gif is nothing like R. Daneel in the original works.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does this fist pump exchange imply Day only know how to have sex with mummy robot but never with a human being?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe he knew how but robot lady really did it for him and the princess didn’t

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does this fist pump exchange imply Day only know how to have sex with mummy robot but never with a human being?

Current Dusk was a way cooler day than current Day. Compare and contrast "Call me Day" with "Call me Cleon"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hakkesshu posted:

I enjoy the show still but it really feels like there's zero coherence to anything. Oh now we go to some planet, there's a government guy executing people with gigantic spikes, oh now we are going to some desert planet where they randomly find Hari Seldon is alive for some reason, oh now we are on some forest planet and there's a weird psychic child god, who's actually an adult psychic oracle, who's evil???

It's total nonsense. If you told me to summarize what has happened so far I would really struggle to do so. There's a lot more bad comedy now? The overall theme seems to say that psychohistory sucks because it doesn't account for The Human Heart?? Corny, dumb, annoying characters. I still somehow find it entertaining though?
This is the kind of complaint that gets you Season 1, where you spend too much time being bored in one place instead of going out and discovering the rich tapestry of the cosmos. The fact they jump around so much in Season 2 is why I compare it to Hitchhiker's Guide, we're getting all these cool ideas leading towards some goal that we don't have to care about too hard because we're too busy being entertained by where we are now. I enjoy it much, much more than spending the majority of Season 1 on Terminus wondering what the vault is until the very end. I've been worn down so hard by television the past few years that I've come to hate longer problem/resolution cycles so anything episodic ends up being sweet nectar. For a show that has a serial plot, the way Foundation is currently handling itself is fantastic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Current Dusk was a way cooler day than current Day. Compare and contrast "Call me Day" with "Call me Cleon"
Yeah, seeing how the Cleonic dynasty falls apart via them no longer being "one person" is supposed to be much less subtle this season. We've gone from the trio being perfectly in sync at the start of Season 1 to the movement coach scene starting Season 2. I'm definitely interested in what Dusk and Dawn uncover now that they've discovered the original Cleon lived 3x longer.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 12, 2023

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

My theory is that the foreverly himbofied genetic empire periodically fucks up so badly that Mom has to murder everybody and reincarnate grandpa

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Kill All Cops posted:

This episode was actually kinda good

This show is beginning to occupy the same place that The 100 did for me. I only see trash going into the pot and yet after supper I continue to exclaim, "Hey... that was pretty good!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Penitent posted:

This show is beginning to occupy the same place that The 100 did for me. I only see trash going into the pot and yet after supper I continue to exclaim, "Hey... that was pretty good!"

The 100 got so drat good too. It was way too good for network tv.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The last seasons of The 100 were just so weird though. Especially the last season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The first three episodes of this season were legitimately good.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Trying posted:

My theory is that the foreverly himbofied genetic empire periodically fucks up so badly that Mom has to murder everybody and reincarnate grandpa

My theory (and it's ofc not spoilers because none of this exists in the books):

The one who actually rules is the original Cleon. He wakes up from time to time, does whatever he thinks is best and then wipes their memory of that time. That's also why Daneel acts so suspicious in certain scenes because she is actually in on it and her real agenda is to help the original Cleon and keep the clones in check and make sure this whole conspiracy works.
That leads to the question of "why" and my best answer is because it's obviously down to Cleon's ego (the one consistent thing). His clones ruling for all eternity isn't enough, it has to be HIM that is actually in change, the greatest and only true Cleon.

Well, that's at least my theory, I'm sure the show can come up with something worse. ;)

My only alternative theory is that Daneel is doing the memory altering for her agenda whatever that might be. It does need to be connected to the original Cleon, they certainly made an effort to include him in the first place and remind us all about him so if Daneel is behind the "memory conspiracy" it has something to do with Empire and original Cleon (typical "twist" stuff would be that the whole clone idea/setup was Daneel's plan/work and the whole memory thing is because something is going wrong).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How does the original emperor "wake up", you mean Demerzel flashes the extra large firmware into Day's brain and he becomes Cleon 1.0? And after he finishes his job Demerzel restores Cleon 14 or whatever back?

I go with the simplest explanation, Demerzel periodically deletes the unkosher memories from all three Cleons according to her cleonmanual.txt

Why does this fake cyberpunk show has both emulated human personality inside a computer, also backup memory that only work inside live flesh, and also dumb personality construct at the intelligence level of askjeeve? It's so stupid.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I'm definitely interested in what Dusk and Dawn uncover now that they've discovered the original Cleon lived 3x longer.

I read that scene as suggesting that the first Cleon had three times as many memories uploaded to the official library, rather than having lived for three times as long. AKA someone had come through and edited two thirds of everyone else's lives out.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why does this fake cyberpunk show has both emulated human personality inside a computer, also backup memory that only work inside live flesh, and also dumb personality construct at the intelligence level of askjeeve? It's so stupid.

It's a big universe.

I figure just in the average goon's house you're gonna have DVDs and a PC and access to a streaming subscription. Now extrapolate that to the level of a dynastic empire.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

stephenthinkpad posted:

It does feel like the writers are using the far flung future setting of Foundation to justify their anything goes approach to scifi television tropes. The universe doesn't feel like it has any rules and even the ones is has tried to introduce have been immediately broken (People can't be awake for FTL travel... but Gaal can because lol! )

Whatever is going on with the tech used for Seldon's plan and the prime radiant is also confusingly advanced. Does Empire also have technology to do null fields and to store human consciousness inside of objects like the prime radiant or Seldon's crypt? Where did Seldon get that tech? The first settlers on Terminus were from Trantor and they thought that Seldon's crypt was possibly alien in origin it appeared so advanced.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Penitent posted:

It does feel like the writers are using the far flung future setting of Foundation to justify their anything goes approach to scifi television tropes. The universe doesn't feel like it has any rules and even the ones is has tried to introduce have been immediately broken (People can't be awake for FTL travel... but Gaal can because lol! )

Whatever is going on with the tech used for Seldon's plan and the prime radiant is also confusingly advanced. Does Empire also have technology to do null fields and to store human consciousness inside of objects like the prime radiant or Seldon's crypt? Where did Seldon get that tech? The first settlers on Terminus were from Trantor and they thought that Seldon's crypt was possibly alien in origin it appeared so advanced.

The empire has outlawed most of the technology seldon is using iirc

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

LinkesAuge posted:

Well, that's at least my theory, I'm sure the show can come up with something worse. ;)
Yeah, I’m guessing it’ll be a HAL-like situation where she has a secret directive that starts to conflict with her started directives of keeping the 3 amigos alive and safe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Penitent posted:

People can't be awake for FTL travel... but Gaal can because lol!

Isn't this the show forshadowing her psychic powers?

Penitent posted:

Where did Seldon get that tech? The first settlers on Terminus were from Trantor and they thought that Seldon's crypt was possibly alien in origin it appeared so advanced.

They've had a number of characters speculate about this out loud, but occam's razor suggests that Rowena King's character gave him this stuff, e.g. like she gave him his new body.

But this is meant to be a mystery rather than a plot hole or slapdash narrative or whatever.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 14, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It also felt like they had Gaal stay awake for that scene because some shows have to make everything from a main character's POV. Except for when a show strictly follows a single character's perspective, more shows should be willing to cut away to random people we haven't seen before when it's important to the setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The Foundation now has its own FTL ships including the ones used by the priests. It didn’t look like Hober went to sleep before he suddenly shot off to wherever. The sleep thing no longer seems relevant and was only used to initially make Gaal seem unique.