Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
A useful thing I have learned from Kafka: prefarming trace mats doesn't have a very satisfying payoff when you've got no relics to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Honestly I just lent Kafka Serval's relics for now. Mind you in general my level 80 highly invested Serval is stronger than my lvl 70 Kafka, even before taking that crit damage coat into account, so I swapped back for now. But still, it worked well enough. Second fastest team for clearing the Hackerspace cavern is . . . the same as my fastest team but with Kafka instead of Serval.

(Bailu/Silver Wolf/Tingyun/Serval or Kafka)

Also yes, in retrospect with them not being a good team it was probably a bad idea to pull Kafka when my second most invested character is Serval and they have more overlap than I thought.

But also she's Kafka, she's super cool and super hot and super mysterious and her English voice gives me mild asmr tingles. I'd have blown my jade on her even if she was a nerfed Arlan or something.

Also special note to that follow up attack animation. So coooool :swoon:

--Edit
She also really likes speed and attack in general but not crit and energy regen. Band Of Sizzling Thunder is her best, but Musketeer or 2hackerspace2musketeer come close. At least that's what I've heard.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 13, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Karanas posted:

Did Kafka mind control those dudes into holding a trial for her purely for shits and giggles? Their eyes go normal only at the end.

She says “I’m listening” so I assumed her mind control abilities had kicked in then.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

seeing lots of people borrow my support Kafka

hope they enjoy her 4k ATK :getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Herbotron posted:

I think it's more that the other supports just aren't as good. Dot characters really want atk.

One of the popular kafka teams is tingyun+bronya on kafka. She's that strong that she only needs herself as the damage dealer.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Thanks all, that makes sense!

Also, now that I'm halfway through the 'deep' variant of floor 5 (this is SUCH a nice way to explore the banner characters vs the single tiny trial battles!) and have had Kafka in-party for quite a few battles, I'm really enjoying her. Interesting how only her talent and ult apply DoTs but I can see how if she had more in her own kit, she'd be a one-woman wrecking ball.

And her talent helps offset when your party is DoT-poor but basic-attack heavy (eg Fireblazer, Blade) which is nice.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am struggling with MoC 10 this round, even though I can get it close. I just do not have enough healing/tanking for one side since debuffs are needed for both sides and Natasha/March 7 (with Luocha on the opposite side) are just too skill point hungry to keep people alive, even when paired less hungry damage. I think I can get it if I get lucky, but so far I have not.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I find the relics/light cone/traces etc. a bit overwhelming even with guides due to just how drat much there is to track.

What are the best all-rounder LCs (ones I can shuffle around to suit most characters of that path) I should prioritise levels on? I haven’t got any 80s and most are 1-60, I think it’s sandbagging me a little now I’m in 75+ content, but stamina is so drat precious.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The double imprisoning enemies at the end is TOUGH. I managed to get through but I had to use Fireblazer, Bailu, SW, and Seele. And get a bit lucky with cc rng. I even swapped Bailu to Perfect Timing just for the better chances. Still had to play through it a few times to get a run where no one died when Bailu was imprisoned.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Y'know, all things considered I should probably be thankful the prices for gems are so loving stupid high. If it was like 5 bucks for a 10 draw I'd definitely splurge now and then. As it is, a 10 draw being like 35 loving dollars is a big no thank you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Karanas posted:

Y'know, all things considered I should probably be thankful the prices for gems are so loving stupid high. If it was like 5 bucks for a 10 draw I'd definitely splurge now and then. As it is, a 10 draw being like 35 loving dollars is a big no thank you.

It's all social engineering. The cost of raw pulling is stupidly high, which makes the daily pass and the battle pass look like a great value in comparison. Both of these options offer great value in exchange for requiring regular play to extract all the jade from it (player engagement). Big whales are gonna buy the rolls no matter the price point, they're just tapping into the "eh, ten bucks a month ain't bad" crowd who would not spend otherwise.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Eimi posted:

The double imprisoning enemies at the end is TOUGH. I managed to get through but I had to use Fireblazer, Bailu, SW, and Seele. And get a bit lucky with cc rng. I even swapped Bailu to Perfect Timing just for the better chances. Still had to play through it a few times to get a run where no one died when Bailu was imprisoned.

Yea, I forgot to add that, had a weaker front half that looked like it was just going to win, until Bailu got imprisoned with her ult queued up. I am shuffling around combinations of March7+Bailu/JY/Tingyun and FMC/Luocha/Blade/Welt or Bronya, and eventually someone gets imprisoned or charmed at a bad time or someone just gets popped from 60% health to dead.

I guess it would also be nice if losses were not like 15 minute slogs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Excelzior posted:

seeing lots of people borrow my support Kafka

hope they enjoy her 4k ATK :getin:

Man, and here I thought my 3k Kafka was super neat. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pain of Mind posted:

Yea, I forgot to add that, had a weaker front half that looked like it was just going to win, until Bailu got imprisoned with her ult queued up. I am shuffling around combinations of March7+Bailu/JY/Tingyun and FMC/Luocha/Blade/Welt or Bronya, and eventually someone gets imprisoned or charmed at a bad time or someone just gets popped from 60% health to dead.

I guess it would also be nice if losses were not like 15 minute slogs.

I ended up having to do some weird jank poo poo to make both sides doable. It ended up being Fire TB/M7/Asta/Kafka on the first half and Gepard/Nat/Pela/Sampo on the other side.

I barely scraped it across the line because Pela and M7 both died right before their respective side's finish, but gently caress it, a clear's a clear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Karanas posted:

the welkin/monthly thing is 5 dollars for 23 draws, basically.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Eej posted:

It's all social engineering. The cost of raw pulling is stupidly high, which makes the daily pass and the battle pass look like a great value in comparison. Both of these options offer great value in exchange for requiring regular play to extract all the jade from it (player engagement). Big whales are gonna buy the rolls no matter the price point, they're just tapping into the "eh, ten bucks a month ain't bad" crowd who would not spend otherwise.

Man the whole goddamn business is so loving skeevy. Learning about this stuff makes me feel dirty just playing these games.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Did they change the whole wish history URL location thing? I just checked the history before quitting for the day and the cache file is showing last updated like a month ago, and the links in it obviously don't pull into starrailstation correctly.

Edit:
They did. The "data_2" file for manually grabbing your wish history link is now in a version based subfolder instead of the old directory.
old: ..\Star Rail\Games\StarRail_Data\webCaches\Cache\Cache_Data
new: ..\Star Rail\Games\StarRail_Data\webCaches\2.14.0.0\Cache\Cache_Data

feelsbadman

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 14, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Karanas posted:

Man the whole goddamn business is so loving skeevy. Learning about this stuff makes me feel dirty just playing these games.

The early days of these gacha games were even worse where companies were allowed to do things like forcing you to get 3 separate items from gacha pulls in order to combine and actually use the thing otherwise it was all just dead weight. The idea being if you get 1 or 2 of the parts you'd be on the hook to want to get the third and not let it go to waste. That was for games were the production values were a joke too unlike here. Even the Japanese government found this to be too predatory and banned it early into the era of gacha mobile games. Pity systems and ceilings also weren't common place either before a few years ago so you could just waste tons of money and even max a credit card before actually getting the rare thing from a banner. With rates like Genshin and Honkai's 0.5% for 5 star premium characters and weapons these would be a non-starter entirely outside of China and maybe Japan without a pity system with carryover between banners. There would have been so many complaints lodged to the bad business bureau after Raiden Shogun or this Kafka banner probably that it'd trigger an investigation into the whole process. Literally the only reason I even gave Genshin Impact a 2nd chance was cause of it's pity system.

Frankly given the unusual reach of Genshin and Honkai for gacha games I'm kind of surprised it hasn't triggered any inquiries yet either. Particularly from Republicans who could easily do China Panic performative stuff with it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I haven't logged in for four days

Think Kafka excited me a little too much

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

Frankly given the unusual reach of Genshin and Honkai for gacha games I'm kind of surprised it hasn't triggered any inquiries yet either. Particularly from Republicans who could easily do China Panic performative stuff with it.

Please don't speak this into existence. The culture war nonsense is already on overdrive, I don't need to hear Genshin or Honkai become a new talking point

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I heard plenty of “Mihoyo is working with the Chinese Communist Party to install secret spyware on your mobile and desktop devices when you play Genshin, so they can help overthrow western democracy” from idiot Chud types online anyway over the past few years. I think Republican politicians are just too out of touch to care.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

this is my kafka so far. i'm running her with an e4 asta and i'm agonizingly 4 speed short from the golden 200+ speed bracket with lvl 10 asta ult. i do think it'd be really easy to upgrade my rope since there's barely any worth on it, i'd either have to hit 2 speed substat rolls or 1 speed substat + 1 asta eidolon to hit e5. I think it's doable...

Here's mine

Still need to max some of the skill traces but overall I'm with her so far. Trying to raise speed is going to be a nightmare though along with hit rate lol. But its the speed that irks me the msot

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 14, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I haven't even started building Kafka but my biggest dilemma is team comp. MoC 6 is my biggest hurdle right now, so do I build Sampo and Kafka to deal with the ape or do I place Kafka on the second half with Welt? I really need a Wind or Fire DPS for the ape because Dan Heng just can't burst him down fast enough.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm raising sampo right now. I have him at decent amount of eidolons as well

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

1.3 livestream later this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUITXhMP-ss

Friday, 7:30 eastern

For some reason, unlike Genshin the livestream is simultaneous with Twitch (genshin's twitch stream is an hour earlier than its YT counterpart)

https://twitch.tv/honkaistarrail

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I heard plenty of “Mihoyo is working with the Chinese Communist Party to install secret spyware on your mobile and desktop devices when you play Genshin, so they can help overthrow western democracy” from idiot Chud types online anyway over the past few years. I think Republican politicians are just too out of touch to care.

If Xi Jinping wants to harvest my computer's data he's welcome to the folder named homework that's filled with hundreds of thousands of gay as hell images. It's his move.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So just did a side quest on the Luofu, and nobody said anything about the Xianzhou storing the souls of the deceased and can raise them from the dead at anytime. That's uhhhh raising whole lot more questions that I now have

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

NeonPunk posted:

So just did a side quest on the Luofu, and nobody said anything about the Xianzhou storing the souls of the deceased and can raise them from the dead at anytime. That's uhhhh raising whole lot more questions that I now have
I mean, less "raise from the dead" and more "download data from", but yeah.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Are side events canon? Because holy poo poo wtf

This better not be one of those things where the writer just came up with that and then just forget about it for the rest of the game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

don't really see the big deal of digital data uploads of deceased.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

GateOfD posted:

don't really see the big deal of digital data uploads of deceased.

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

A very short story that is extremely good imo

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The game better take us to some of these oddball planets like the kind that it keeps bringing up in lore. Some real weirdo aliens instead of just human looking people. But I guess that doesn’t work for gacha.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NeonPunk posted:

Yes but it's very difficult for them to maintain the restored consciousness for long. Xueyi is actually dead she's just a consciousness downloaded into a robot body. Return to Darkness (Hunt LC in battlepass) art is Jingliu holding a dead Xueyi.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eej posted:

Return to Darkness (Hunt LC in battlepass) art is Jingliu holding a dead Xueyi.

Are you sure thats jingliu? It doesn't really look like her to me

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

A very short story that is extremely good imo

That's a great story.

Eej posted:

Yes but it's very difficult for them to maintain the restored consciousness for long. Xueyi is actually dead she's just a consciousness downloaded into a robot body. Return to Darkness (Hunt LC in battlepass) art is Jingliu holding a dead Xueyi.

Even with the limitations if only being able to resurrection souls for a short time, they can still use it in so many ways. Off the top of my head, they could install an emergency system in their combat starskiffs fleet. Just find the absolute best starskiff pilot ever and set up an direct comm to the pilot in a dire situation and have the resurrected pilot take over for a moment in the middle of a battle. They can lean in the Hunt aspect more as the alive starskiff pilots develop a culture where they try to become the next best pilots ever and live the rest of their afterlife battling endlessly fights for an eternity. Why don't the Xianzhou use this more often?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are you sure thats jingliu? It doesn't really look like her to me

It’s Xueyi’s little sister as seen in Under the Blue Sky LC

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Another thing is in the Kafka trailer, there was a snippet of her releasing digital demons. Like how we have Mara in the long living species, does something similar happen to those digital souls where they become demons over time?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

Hey what side quest is this?
In addition to sounding cool, it is relevant to my Hoyoverse Conspiracy Theories. :tinfoil:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

its been a while but iirc its the questline in the artisanship commission where you help a starskiff designer realize he kind of sucks at it

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/A_Teacher_and_a_Friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

NeonPunk posted:

Why don't the Xianzhou use this more often?

The unfortunately boring answer is that there is no profit incentive for Mihoyo to write anything other than a Saturday-morning-cartoon level of story. It's a miracle anything good gets into the game at all, and there's a reason it's all side content or otherwise optional. Any story writing will eventually reach someone's desk who only cares about "how does this increase the metrics our business cares about," and none of those metrics are "exploration of heady philosophical concepts."

I felt the same way about Belobog's division between above and below ground society, which makes zero sense from any angle or perspective. Sure seal us up down here in complete poverty and absent the light from the sun. We don't mind, even though we know it doesn't work, since we know people cross the border all the time. We'll even do all the loving manual labor!