Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Willa Rogers posted:

Someone was telling me about a new longterm care/asst. living community in the northern burbs of chicago & how it was for the richies & boy they weren't kidding.

They have different pricing levels with the top dollar going to those get 90 percent of their entrance fee returned if they kick it at any time but lol, this is the lowest pricing tier, in which you get back nothing if grammy dies a month later.

arranged marriages amongst widows and widowers to get that sweet second person deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

schedule a phone screen, recruiter doesn't call at the scheduled time, i follow up to ask where they are, they say they'll be calling me shortly, "shortly" passes, still don't receive a call

love to interview

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

euphronius posted:

those jobs are horrible

i mean yes but instead of working three jobs at various fast food restaurants the key difference here is you end up in an upper management in 10 years

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

when I lived 2.5 miles from work I’d bus in and walk back. on my walk back route, within a single year there were four bicycle fatalities. three of those were from sharing the road with cars and one was from hitting (presumably) unexpected stairs from using a pedestrian path (presumably to avoid sharing the road with cars)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

anime was right posted:

i mean yes but instead of working three jobs at various fast food restaurants the key difference here is you end up in an upper management in 10 years

I don’t think the odds are good at that. more likely you are flushed out in 5 years with not much going on. idk tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
riding a bike on the street means relying on strangers to give a gently caress about whether you live or die. that's also true of driving and walking. you've just gotta hope that no one randomly decides to murder you for no reason with their car for the rest of your life.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lacrosse posted:

I live right next to my old elementary school, I could have walked there in under 5 minutes but my mom made me sit on a school bus for an hour instead. If that doesn't make sense, at the other end of our street the school bus would start its route picking up all the rural kids which I'd have to be out waiting by 6:30am to catch it.

The high school is a 5 minute bike ride away but again I wasn't allowed to leave our street even as a late teen and I had to take the bus or get driven to school because my mom watched too much dateline about kid snatchers.

I'm in my late 30s now and just moved back with my parents and my mom still freaks out about my riding my bike to the high school so I just don't tell her where I'm going.

goondolences. many parents are psychologically unable to learn.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

I don’t think the odds are good at that. more likely you are flushed out in 5 years with not much going on. idk tho

5 years of 200k salary is still p good

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Well, first you have to subtract the $25,000 a year that you spend on doordash

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

this is correct, you get weeded out if you're not willing to do bad poo poo that they can hold over you so you can't cross them

Griz
May 21, 2001

i don't think i could stand dealing with MBA brain moron consultants for 5 years for any amount of money

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

riding a bike on the street means relying on strangers to give a gently caress about whether you live or die. that's also true of driving and walking. you've just gotta hope that no one randomly decides to murder you for no reason with their car for the rest of your life.

sometimes there are absolute freaks out there too. last summer I was biking in a normally safe area and then a car passed by me and took a very dangerous sharp turn to the side while blasting the windshield fluid because the driver was trying to hit me with it? what the hell.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Back in the mid 00s I used to ride my bike on a 6 mile commute to my summer job and then again back. Took a mix of riding on the road and the sidewalks depending on traffic and the surroundings. The majority of the cars were sedans with great sight lines. Nowadays the vast majority of vehicles on the roads are SUVs and truks. Like, looking out the window just now here, I saw about two dozen vehicles pass by before I finally saw a single sedan or hatchback.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Griz posted:

i don't think i could stand dealing with MBA brain moron consultants for 5 years for any amount of money

esp when you are writing reports to fire people

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

good luck getting in if you aren't a nepotic failson

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

euphronius posted:

A lot of them end up in business school. Others parlay the experience into other things.

Consulting is a pretty good gig for a while. The really dark side seems to come when you try to do it as a lifer. The schedule isn't good for having romantic relationships or raising a family.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You will find that now bus stops are a mile away, there are no sidewalks, and you have to be at the stop before sunrise:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-kentucky-school-bus-routes-disaster-prompts-class-cancellation-las-rcna99430

This story about it blew my mind:

quote:

The last bus riders weren't dropped off until 9:58 p.m. Wednesday, according to an email from JCPS spokeswoman Carolyn Callahan.

There were also delays getting students to school.

Erika Smallwood said her daughters, ages 8 and 10, were supposed to arrive at Blue Lick Elementary School at 9 a.m., but the bus didn't reach the building until almost 10 a.m. What should have been a 45-minute bus ride lasted nearly two hours.

Smallwood said the bus her children rode didn’t have air conditioning, and since kids weren’t allowed to have food or drink on the bus, her autistic daughter, who has low blood sugar and must eat every two hours, was told she couldn’t eat because there were “no exceptions.”

Smallwood said her family also couldn’t find her 7-year-old nephew Wednesday night. No one from his school or the bus depot hotline answered their calls, so the family drove around town trying to find him, she said, adding that the second grader didn't get home from school until 8:47 p.m. He was supposed to arrive at 3:14 p.m.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol i finally get on the phone for a screen and the recruiter said they were already likely about to hire someone. what a loving waste of time

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

malicious maga truck drivers are the least of your worries

if you can commute on routes where you never have cars needing to queue up behind you as a biker, it's probably fine

as soon as you actually share the road with cars in this manner, you're going to have cars tailgating you out of ignorance and plowing you with way too great a frequency in any situation you need to accidentally or intentionally suddenly stop

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Back in the mid 00s I used to ride my bike on a 6 mile commute to my summer job and then again back. Took a mix of riding on the road and the sidewalks depending on traffic and the surroundings. The majority of the cars were sedans with great sight lines. Nowadays the vast majority of vehicles on the roads are SUVs and truks. Like, looking out the window just now here, I saw about two dozen vehicles pass by before I finally saw a single sedan or hatchback.

A lot of people also don't fully understand just how invisible they are to newer pickup trucks or even larger SUVs. The blind spots are huge and even a good driver will struggle to maintain enough constant situational awareness to recognize when a cyclist is moving into one.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

this is correct, you get weeded out if you're not willing to do bad poo poo that they can hold over you so you can't cross them

Why do you think so many lottery winners lose all their money so quickly.

/s

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FlapYoJacks posted:

No, you were part of what is informally called “the latchkey generation.” It’s not normal anymore and in fact is quite bad.

being a latchkey kid meant your parents trusted you or at least trusted you more than paying for daycare

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

being a latchkey kid meant your parents trusted you or at least trusted you more than paying for daycare

I was a latchkey kid, and my parents didn't trust me at all and were physically abusive. They just worked long hours and didn't have a choice.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like accidents happen and all that and just driving a car is more dangerous than people are willing to admit but I really don't like the idea of getting pasted by someone looking at their phone or screwing with their touchscreen which every car apparently must have now

If there was any kind of bike infrastructure around here and thus like a modicum of driver awareness for bikes I might consider it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

euphronius posted:

those jobs are horrible

In '08 my roomate got a consultant job in Chicago with Deloitte and spent his entire first year flying to (and living in) Dayton, Ohio M-F, then coming back for the weekend. Just completely awful way to spend your 20s.
He's real wealthy now so I guess it worked out but man that was depressing to see.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FlapYoJacks posted:

I was a latchkey kid, and my parents didn't trust me at all and were physically abusive. They just worked long hours and didn't have a choice.

i'm sorry your parents were shitheads

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

i am harry posted:

Jesus loving Christ mate

There's a reason why I moved out :smithicide:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

:owned:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Starting at the age of 10 I was allowed to bike independently in the mid 90's with no hard limit but generally stuck to a max of 5 miles, and honestly it wasn't that bad, but where I grew up the idea of biking in the street with cars was completely foreign. Outside of neighborhood streets, fairly wide sidewalks are the norm here and where everyone back then, and mostly even now, would bike around here. The very idea of biking in the street with cars being the norm was foreign to me until I was in my mid-20s.

The idea that 9+ year old's are latchkey kids because they're left alone at home during the summer or after school is laughable. That was the age my wife started doing paid baby sitter jobs.

The streets really are dangerous but acting like its a guarantee you're going to get run over by a bro-dozer reminds me a lot of the stranger danger panic where some people thought a very rare danger was waiting around every corner, or the modern equivalent where some people act as if any child left alone outside is going to be pounced upon by child traffickers even in random suburbs. I wouldn't let a kid ride in the street, outside quiet neighborhoods, but on mostly empty sidewalks? Sure.

Elem7 has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Aug 14, 2023

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the bus situation seems absolutely insane, I did some looking around to see why it was such chaos and what a shock, it's tech:

quote:

The district had 600 bus routes and 13,000 stops under a new plan created by AlphaRoute, a Boston firm that used artificial intelligence to cut the number of bus stops in the district by nearly half.

But on Friday, Superintendent Marty Pollio said the district had to add thousands more stops. He called the chaos on the first day a "transportation disaster."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the bus situation seems absolutely insane, I did some looking around to see why it was such chaos and what a shock, it's tech:

every time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Air Force and Army lol. The day I cut them off from my life was one of the best days. My wife repeatedly said that it made me so much calmer not having to deal with them. Instead of blaming themselves, they blame my therapist for making me realize they were not good for me and, in fact, were abusive shitheads growing up (physically) and then mentally as an adult.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Relevant Tangent posted:

Or your parents couldn't afford daycare, as in my case. I got a key to the house at age 6 so i could get off the bus after school and walk home since both my parents were at work or sleeping between shifts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elem7 posted:

The streets really are dangerous but acting like its a guarantee you're going to get run over by a bro-dozer reminds me a lot of the stranger danger panic where some people thought a very rare danger was waiting around every corner, or the modern equivalent where some people act as if any child left alone outside is going to be pounced upon by child traffickers even in random suburbs. I wouldn't let a kid ride in the street, outside quiet neighborhoods, but on mostly empty sidewalks? Sure.

I live in a historically redlined, poor neighborhood that was under-invested in by the city for decades. We don't have sidewalks, let alone storm drainage. It gentrified super rapidly, I've talked to some of the older homeowners who bought for $80k in 2010 but now the old houses go for $600-800k and a new rebuild in the neighborhood sold for $1.3 million.

Still no sidewalks, though. We actually had a big, ugly, long lawsuit in the city where the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals found that sidewalks are unconsitutional:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news...6549ab92de.html

quote:

The U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Nashville on Wednesday, overturning a lower court’s decision and setting up potentially expensive claims from property owners against the city’s sidewalk fund. Judges Eric Murphy, Alice Batchelder and Helene White sided with property owners’ arguments that Nashville violated plaintiffs' protections guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment’s “Takings Clause,” which prohibits the federal government from seizing private property without just compensation. Murphy, a Trump appointee and member of the Federalist Society, authored the ruling.

Twerk from Home has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Aug 14, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
spending my childhood in a trailer home in the middle of nowhere mostly sucked but the one unambiguously nice thing about it was that I could go run around or ride my bike or whatever and not have to worry about getting pasted by a car (there were maybe 6-8 other humans living within two miles of us so there were never any) or getting the cops called on us by neighborhood busybodies for being outside (no neighborhood)

at one point we had to move into a rented house in a suburb for a few months for marital-problems-related reasons and I remember going to play outside like we had been doing daily for years and getting the cops called on us by one of the neighbors within 30 minutes, lmao

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The first few days of school, which started aug 3, my kid got home 3.5 hours late. They put a bunch of kids on the wrong busses and had to bring everyone back. From now on he only gets home over an hour late because they run multiple loads due to driver shortages. I wonder how much the transportation contractor scrapes off and pockets.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sidewalks are unconstitutional is a hell of a phrase

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I love suburbs with big lawns with rocks and boulders along the perimeter so you can't even step a bit on the grass to get off the street (because there are of course no sidewalks lol). I used to see people jogging along the roads and wondered how many of them got hit at some point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in the real boony suburbs there are drainage Culverts along the roads which you can fall into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ammanas posted:

no apparently every vehicle on the road is a lifted pickup driven by a tiny dicked maga maniac whose mission is to murder cyclists

that's not true.

most of them are crossovers