Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The idea of someone calling the cops because a kid was unattended is so alien to me. Are kids not allowed to ride bikes either? I'm picturing a vignette a panel of neighbors watching the only child-having family's kids riding bikes in circles in a tiny-rear end driveway, their pulses spiking when one of them inches close to the curb, white knuckling their phone.

I'm glad I was born when I was and not now. My childhood was practically defined by me roaming around away from home and getting into trouble. Getting hurt, too -- I limped my rear end home a number of times as a kid, visibly bleeding, and no one called the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The school also had a bunch of people park 'near' it and walk their kids in because the drop off lines are too long to sit in. This year they eliminated that due to what I assume was a safety incident. Kids that live close enough to the school do not get bus service because it is assumed they are close enough to walk, which they now cannot do, and also dont get bus service.

The car drop off line can also only only handle about 200 cars between when the doors open and when school starts. There are over 300 cars that need to get through so over 100 families get marked as tardy no matter what. People were told to arrive earlier. This is a perfect summation of neoliberal philosophy.

Since people cant walk their kid to school and they cant sit in line without being truant, all these kids are getting dumped in busses further compounding the problem. This is a 'good' school system.

I assume the next step will be to start selling fast passes for dropoff/pickup

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The idea of someone calling the cops because a kid was unattended is so alien to me.

a lot of that happens in the context of disputed custody imho

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
just realized my parents probably had no idea where I was or what I was up to after age 12 just biking around to friends houses and coming back when dinner was usually ready

genx kids parents really didn’t give a gently caress lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Sell.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1691122117398740992

93% of Burrys portfolio is puts

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the bus situation seems absolutely insane, I did some looking around to see why it was such chaos and what a shock, it's tech:

How much money did they blow on that too that could have been spent on free food for kids?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

How much money did they blow on that too that could have been spent on free food for kids?
$200k was the figure I saw

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

a lot of that happens in the context of disputed custody imho

The idea that there's an assumption that every unattended kid is the victim of a domestic dispute is really loving sad

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I love suburbs with big lawns with rocks and boulders along the perimeter so you can't even step a bit on the grass to get off the street (because there are of course no sidewalks lol). I used to see people jogging along the roads and wondered how many of them got hit at some point

I like the shithead neighbors who put cones and big rocks on the curbs in front of their houses but are too lazy to remove them so when they have a big party all their lovely friends have to go park in front of YOUR house. Basically a massive prisoner’s dilemma for the whole neighborhood.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The idea that there's an assumption that every unattended kid is the victim of a domestic dispute is really loving sad

no the non custodial parent calls the cops on the custodial parent who lets the kid be alone for a length of time in an attempt to win more custody

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

no the non custodial parent calls the cops on the custodial parent who lets the kid be alone for a length of time in an attempt to win more custody

Oh, okay. That's terrible too, but not what I was thinking. I was imagining some unrelated busybody seeing a kid walking along the street by themselves, and dialing 911 with zero context other than "kid alone = bad."

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I like the shithead neighbors who put cones and big rocks on the curbs in front of their houses but are too lazy to remove them so when they have a big party all their lovely friends have to go park in front of YOUR house. Basically a massive prisoner’s dilemma for the whole neighborhood.
How so? IMO, the dilemma is already resolved, those neighbors have already decided to turn against everyone else first.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

He's made like 11 wild swings in the last 3 years, none of which really panned out. There's no point pretending this guy's a bell weather because he was right 15 years ago.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Acelerion posted:

The school also had a bunch of people park 'near' it and walk their kids in because the drop off lines are too long to sit in. This year they eliminated that due to what I assume was a safety incident. Kids that live close enough to the school do not get bus service because it is assumed they are close enough to walk, which they now cannot do, and also dont get bus service.

The car drop off line can also only only handle about 200 cars between when the doors open and when school starts. There are over 300 cars that need to get through so over 100 families get marked as tardy no matter what. People were told to arrive earlier. This is a perfect summation of neoliberal philosophy.

Since people cant walk their kid to school and they cant sit in line without being truant, all these kids are getting dumped in busses further compounding the problem. This is a 'good' school system.

I assume the next step will be to start selling fast passes for dropoff/pickup

You aren't allowed to walk to school? What the hell?

What do they do when you walk yourself to school and arrive on time? Just not let you in if you didn't get a ride there?

SardonicTyrant posted:

I love suburbs with big lawns with rocks and boulders along the perimeter so you can't even step a bit on the grass to get off the street (because there are of course no sidewalks lol). I used to see people jogging along the roads and wondered how many of them got hit at some point

I have to look up running paths / sidewalks on Google maps now everywhere I go because there are so many times where some idiot will try and play chicken with me while I'm running. It's worse in the rural area I'm in now because usually I'm running on a dirt road. People have died in the area from people doing this poo poo.

I'll also be yelled at from passing cars on the mixed use paths. Just incomprehensible yelling too lately not even slurs like they used to do.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nothus posted:

One of the stay-at-home moms in my neighborhood got paid to watch every school-aged kid for the couple of hours between school and quitting time. At least until we got old enough that sports/after-school activities kicked in or we could take care of ourselves.

Now that I'm buying a house blocks from my kids' schools, I expect I might be host to my kids' friends a lot as they grow up. I'll be WFH the weeks I have them, and most of their friends' parents work late, so if their parents trust me, my house might become the after-after-school hangout spot, especially in HS.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

What do they do when you walk yourself to school and arrive on time? Just not let you in if you didn't get a ride there?

This is correct

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fried Watermelon posted:

You aren't allowed to walk to school? What the hell?

One of our local schools implemented this policy. It's literally forbidden to walk to school, you must arrive in a bus or car. They won't let you in and will discipline you if you try to walk.

It's not safe to walk anymore because of all the cars.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Cars might be even worse for society than guns

might be? they 100% are way way worse. my five worst human inventions in no order:

1. cars
2. iso container
3. agriculture
4. burning old dead things for energy
5. organized religion

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I decided to walk to the park where I go to exercise because it's like a 3 minute drive. There is no shoulder. Usually when I encounter a pedestrian or cyclist in the same situation, I give them at least half a lane if there is no oncoming traffic. I think 2 cars out of 20 gave me the same courtesy, but most gave me a foot or two max, if anything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anonumos posted:

Now that I'm buying a house blocks from my kids' schools, I expect I might be host to my kids' friends a lot as they grow up. I'll be WFH the weeks I have them, and most of their friends' parents work late, so if their parents trust me, my house might become the after-after-school hangout spot, especially in HS.

If I ever decide to foster/adopt kids this is kind of my goal. Another friend's parents was this for me when I was growing up and it made a huge positive impact on my life - just having an adult who wasnt an rear end in a top hat and a safe house to hang out at rocked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
From elsewhere on the internet, a Louisville local has some insights that the news wasn't putting front and center:

quote:

This clusterfuck has lead to the first week of school effectively being canceled. 88 Bus drivers quit after that first day - they had been set up to fail. The facts I'm aware of at this point:

- Louisville has historically zany bus routes, do to a segregated population that goes back to redlining and diversity metrics for schools. Kids regularly get bussed across town instead of down the street, sometimes having to quickly change a second bus at chaotic depots with little time. The system was not great before this colossal failure of judgement.

- A bus driver 'shortage' (I'm somewhat understanding that a bureaucracy like a school district would have a hard time flexing their budget enough to fix the shortage, I assume changing allocation is laborious) ultimately caused by it not being a desirable-enough job.

- 750 routes were reduced to 600. I'm not sure about the theoretical math of that with respect to area covered, but local group messaging indicated that prior to this year, bus drivers might have had to drop off at two schools in the morning, and pick up from one in the afternoon. Now, most drivers had to go to three(!), four(!!), or (due to the routing company not having two schools in their data at all) FIVE(!!!!) schools on a route.

- Beyond the new routing, they also completely changed the school schedules to 'stagger' the starts for groups of kids and schools. Some kids were getting on the bus as early as 5am, and elementary school children were dismissed at like 2 in the afternoon; meanwhile some high school schedules ran past 5pm.

- Kids were indeed kept on busses for hours, small ones soiling themselves, many hungry, some missing medication - etc.

It turns out that yes, racism is a significant contributor to this specific failure too.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

From elsewhere on the internet, a Louisville local has some insights that the news wasn't putting front and center:

It turns out that yes, racism is a significant contributor to this specific failure too.

the district I went to school in conveniently had like three schools next to each other which greatly simplified bussing, I can't imagine having to drive to 5 schools all over the place to dump 20 kids at a time

thinking about the busses getting stuck in traffic trying to pick kids up at 5 schools across the district taking 30 min to get from school to school before even beginning the route to drop them off at home

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I live in a historically redlined, poor neighborhood that was under-invested in by the city for decades. We don't have sidewalks, let alone storm drainage. It gentrified super rapidly, I've talked to some of the older homeowners who bought for $80k in 2010 but now the old houses go for $600-800k and a new rebuild in the neighborhood sold for $1.3 million.

Still no sidewalks, though. We actually had a big, ugly, long lawsuit in the city where the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals found that sidewalks are unconsitutional:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news...6549ab92de.html

Sidewalks - violate the Takings clause

Seizing and demolishing large tracts of centuries old neighborhoods for commercial redevelopment and subsidy - Good business and A-OK!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The idea of someone calling the cops because a kid was unattended is so alien to me. Are kids not allowed to ride bikes either? I'm picturing a vignette a panel of neighbors watching the only child-having family's kids riding bikes in circles in a tiny-rear end driveway, their pulses spiking when one of them inches close to the curb, white knuckling their phone.

I'm glad I was born when I was and not now. My childhood was practically defined by me roaming around away from home and getting into trouble. Getting hurt, too -- I limped my rear end home a number of times as a kid, visibly bleeding, and no one called the cops.

https://reason.com/2022/11/16/suburban-mom-jailed-handcuffed-cps-son-walk-home/

Boomers: Kids don't play outside, this is because of the bad race and Biden.
Also Boomers: I will summon the police if I see anyone I don't personally approve of near my house, and the police will take this 100% seriously unlike basically any other crime.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

started to Google "what is a put" and their first auto suggestion was the trans genocide movie

liberal silicon valley ftw

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

net work error posted:

I know the account is now in the questionable category but this is very funny
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1691074945185665025?t=2eev0171wnAzMKB-YtGthw&s=19

wasn't this supposed to be the BUILD BACK BETTER bill and then Manchin forced it to be renamed?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1691142372501995520

could one of the posters ITT who follows this more closely confirm if its funny?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All the fresh graduates are nepo babies :laffo: these firms aren’t hiring random consultants, they’re hiring the children of the ghouls already in position there. There isn’t any industry left in the US where you make that kind of money fresh out of any school unless it’s going right into a hand picked position by your parents and their friends

It’s just like how a bunch of people entered law school when I was going to college because of all the news articles of “Fresh law school grads making high six figures right away!” and forgot to add the disclaimer of “For law school grads going into their parents law firms” to the articles :lol:

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Aug 14, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think this is an attempt to counterbalance Janet Yellen throwing as much short-dated bonds as she can manage at the market.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1691148077824880658

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Twerk from Home posted:

One of our local schools implemented this policy. It's literally forbidden to walk to school, you must arrive in a bus or car. They won't let you in and will discipline you if you try to walk.

It's not safe to walk anymore because of all the cars.

What if there is a parent shepherding?

Wild poo poo.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Also Boomers: I will summon the police if I see anyone I don't personally approve of near my house, and the police will take this 100% seriously unlike basically any other crime.

Bonus if they themselves had kids that ran all over the neighborhood back in the day and bothered old neighbors who didn’t call the cops because they weren’t loving assholes and just yelled at them to get off their lawns at worst.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Im gonna short squeeze $SPY

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

skooma512 posted:

I wonder how common this is, what a wild read.

taking the plea seems like a lovely deal she got railroaded into by a bad lawyer cause criminal trial would require an actual jury to not just laugh it out of the court room right? Though I guess the entire jury could just be nextdoor psychopaths so maybe not.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im glad the suburban mom got owned

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FlapYoJacks posted:

Air Force and Army lol. The day I cut them off from my life was one of the best days. My wife repeatedly said that it made me so much calmer not having to deal with them. Instead of blaming themselves, they blame my therapist for making me realize they were not good for me and, in fact, were abusive shitheads growing up (physically) and then mentally as an adult.

admitting that they're the problem is impossible for most abusers, happy that you're not in that situation any more

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

I like how all this data comes out that despite higher prices and lower qualities people just can’t seem to even slow down consumption, they just want more.

That just means everyone was correct to raise prices, and should have done it years ago, because the market can bear the price.

They left all this revenue on the table for years.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

PoundSand posted:

I wonder how common this is, what a wild read.

taking the plea seems like a lovely deal she got railroaded into by a bad lawyer cause criminal trial would require an actual jury to not just laugh it out of the court room right? Though I guess the entire jury could just be nextdoor psychopaths so maybe not.

How much money does the mom have to pay for a long court case, though? A lot of people take the plea because they can't afford to fight the charges all the way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

admitting that they're the problem is impossible for most abusers, happy that you're not in that situation any more

Thank you. I still have many coping mechanisms I am trying to do away with, such as shutting down at the first sign of conflict, but I am in a far better place than I was 3 years ago. :unsmith:

Edit* My parents would ask about me whenever my brother or sister came over to their place, and they have resorted to telling them to go to therapy and fix their relationship with me, which pisses them off. :allears:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chad Sexington posted:

What if there is a parent shepherding?

Wild poo poo.

if the problem is that too many kids have gotten splattered in traffic trying to get to and from school, i don’t feel like i would sign off on an exception as long as a parent is also risking their own life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

juries mostly convict everyone they see.