Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Finding games within a minute at 8.30am on a Monday in New Zealand is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Patch Notes:
-**Early Access Hotfix #3**
@everyone, We will be doing the hotfix #3 update starting at <t:1692025200>.
When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time.
Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely.
The servers will return to full service 2 hours after the start of the patch.

Patch Notes:
- Ironshield's functionality has been improved and several glitches have been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where redstone could not be used when launched with the Chafgames launcher.
- The Armor Rating curve table has been changed. Now takes more damage while naked.
- The Interaction Speed curve table has been changed. Clerics can now open chests and doors slightly faster.
- Casting time for all Wizard spells reduced by 0.25 seconds.
- Warlock's Curse of Pain and Power of Sacrifice cast time reduced by 0.25 seconds.
- Bard's Shriek of Weakness defense rating reduction rate has been slightly reduced.
- Bard's Chorale of Clarity spell recovery per tick slightly reduced.
- Hoard, which was accessible without clearing the boss in Inferno, has been removed.

Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker.

Clerics rejoice! Wizards and warlocks too! naked rogues and barbs get hosed

edit: apparently there was bard notes they forgot to include

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 14, 2023

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

**Early Access Hotfix #3**
@everyone, We will be doing the hotfix #3 update starting at <t:1692025200>.
When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time.
Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely.
The servers will return to full service 2 hours after the start of the patch.

Patch Notes:
- Ironshield's functionality has been improved and several glitches have been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where redstone could not be used when launched with the Chafgames launcher.
- The Armor Rating curve table has been changed. Now takes more damage while naked.
- The Interaction Speed curve table has been changed. Clerics can now open chests and doors slightly faster.
- Casting time for all Wizard spells reduced by 0.25 seconds.
- Warlock's Curse of Pain and Power of Sacrifice cast time reduced by 0.25 seconds.
- Hoard, which was accessible without clearing the boss in Inferno, has been removed.

Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker.

Clerics rejoice! Wizards and warlocks too! naked rogues and barbs get hosed

The cleric interaction speed buff was needed. It felt arbitrary and needlessly punitive to be so much slower at interacting than every other class.

The armor change is interesting. Yea, probably screws over barbs with the no-chest-armor perk, but depending on how they did this I wonder if it will actually be worse for classes that tend to wear light armor. Really, just makes me wonder if I’m gonna get 1-hit by fighters and barbs more often.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I have way more fun in this game as a solo rogue than anything else, harassing groups or people way better geared than me. Chipping away with dots and throwing weapons, waiting for them to run into some other group and then either attacking during the confusion or finishing off the survivors.

My most satisfying run was kiting a fighter + ranger, watching them nearly win but die against some other 2 man group they ran into while chasing me, then leading a third pair onto the survivors as they were trying to heal. Only one guy survived that encounter and I killed him. I'd like to say I extracted with the cherrypicked loot from 6 corpses but yet another group showed up and killed me. Just causing that amount of death and chaos was worth it though.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ruggan posted:

The armor change is interesting. Yea, probably screws over barbs with the no-chest-armor perk, but depending on how they did this I wonder if it will actually be worse for classes that tend to wear light armor. Really, just makes me wonder if I’m gonna get 1-hit by fighters and barbs more often.
they are likely only changing the damage reduction values for people who get their armor values really low via removing head/chest/leg armor. before in starter equipment you'd take like 10% extra of base damage for disrobing and they're going to make that penalty higher.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

have they given any additional mention to the refund/monetization change for unlocking classes?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

thank god

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
whatever the new AR curve winds up being, this was the old one:

It's probably not very different though outside of very low AR. Noteworthy that defense scales quite badly from 50 -> 100 AR, and then between 150 -> 250 you get super good gains, so there's kind of a deadzone.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Me last week when this released: No way am I buying this until it’s out on a platform I recognize

Me Saturday: Ehhhh gently caress it, life’s too short

Me playing the game: My lives are too short, I suck at this game.

Is there a good newbie guide somewhere? I’ve just been throwing myself into the Goblin Caves as various classes. I think my most successful run so far is a Cleric who killed four goblins before dying to a skull bat thing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
it will take a while to learn monster attack patterns, maps, etc. all I can advise is there is no loss when you die, just jump right back in and you'll get better eventually

try some games in crypts. sometimes you'll get steamrolled by a 3 man team, but sometimes you won't see a soul and can fill your bags and get out easier than goblin caves

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Howling Crypts (the main map) is a lot harder than when a lot of us first started playing - they made it darker (still a dumb change in my opinion), added new attacks to the already existing mobs, and added a bunch of new skeleton types all of which were more dangerous than the existing ones.

There are a bunch of guides on youtube on how best so survive the various maps starting from nothing.

One tip I'd share is when trying to avoid a mob attack turn around and run a bit because backpedaling is slower and you still might get whacked.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

A Real Horse posted:

Me last week when this released: No way am I buying this until it’s out on a platform I recognize

Me Saturday: Ehhhh gently caress it, life’s too short

Me playing the game: My lives are too short, I suck at this game.

Is there a good newbie guide somewhere? I’ve just been throwing myself into the Goblin Caves as various classes. I think my most successful run so far is a Cleric who killed four goblins before dying to a skull bat thing.
you have to figure out how to fight mobs without taking any damage for them

bait their attack, evade the attack, then hit them in between their attacks

use strafe instead of the back key to evade

with a shield you can block ranged attacks by looking up to block your head, which they seem to always shoot for

cleric is definitely the best newbie class since the massive amount of heals give you tons of margin of error to learn the pve

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Can you still play solo rogue and just be a nasty little loot goblin, avoiding everything? They had double jump last playtest but I haven't kept up with any changes

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Concurred posted:

Can you still play solo rogue and just be a nasty little loot goblin, avoiding everything? They had double jump last playtest but I haven't kept up with any changes

yes, from level 1 you can get lockpicking and basically avoid all fights and go around the map looting the best chests

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Concurred posted:

Yes but they just nerfed going in naked which was the meta to go faster. I don't know the numbers yet but you'll take significantly more damage after today's patch.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

you have to figure out how to fight mobs without taking any damage for them

bait their attack, evade the attack, then hit them in between their attacks

use strafe instead of the back key to evade

with a shield you can block ranged attacks by looking up to block your head, which they seem to always shoot for

cleric is definitely the best newbie class since the massive amount of heals give you tons of margin of error to learn the pve

Glad my instincts were correct at least, now it’s just a matter of practice. It helps to not get discouraged because I can be in a new round in less than a minute after getting killed in one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

the main appeal of Dark and Darker to me and my friend group is that we were able to play it and have fun right out the gate despite having zero experience with it, while when we decided to try out Tarkov after the Dark and Darker demo ended it was several frustrating hours of our entire group dying instantly over and over to people we never even saw, including one round where it happened less than two minutes after spawn in a game where the normal wait between matches is 15-20 minutes.

the game in theory has good gunplay but I honestly could not tell you much about it, because in the 20 or so hours of it I attempted to play during my first attempt, the only time I ever got a human player in my sights he instantly rotated 180 degrees to laser-snap onto me and drill me perfectly in the head with a single shot

The closer quarters definitely play a major part in that, because we are not going to get sniped by some guy shooting from the absolute edge of the game's draw distance. Part of it is also readability, with the simpler graphics and less realistic environments making it a whole hell of a lot easier to see people. Even taking that into account, though, the game seems a lot less gear-dependent than Tarkov does so far - good gear makes it a lot easier, but I have killed kitted players using my basic starting equipment several times already, and even pulled off multiple extracts in a row with starting gear.

I have a secret theory that sniping is actually awful for any kind of PvP game and is only made worse in games with persistence of any kind (Rust, Tarkov). Sniping feels incredible when you do it, but it creates an environment where you can't even fight back against the person who is attacking you and can feel extremely arbitrary until you have a lot of gameskill in a particular game, which usually just translates into memorizing which parts of the map are deathtraps and where you should crouch and hide and so-on. You'll note that it's pretty much only people who are really good at solo-sniping that defend that kind of gameplay.

DaD created an artificial construct in which sniping is basically impossible except in extremely telegraphed areas. Forced close quarters is an excellent idea for this kind of game.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

A Real Horse posted:

Glad my instincts were correct at least, now it’s just a matter of practice. It helps to not get discouraged because I can be in a new round in less than a minute after getting killed in one.

once you do start to extract on a class, imo it's very very worth it to start stockpiling gray weapons from the vendor of the type you like so that when you die again, you can at least go in with a decent weapon which is a huge way to speed up progression (less hits to kill pve means you can focus on learning rooms and clearing them and being less caught in a pve fight by other players)

e.g. on my fighter and warlock, each has a stash of ~8-10 gray 34 damage falchions which were each 8g from the weaponsmith (when they're available, anyway, the shop contents rotate) so if I manage to get out with even just 40g on a run, that buys me 5 more far better than starting weapons (34 damage vs 22-23, essentially 50% more damage per hit) plus the extremely common occurrence of upgrading that anyway in the dungeon for the next run

same for other classes, though certain gray weapons are still expensive (looking at the 19g 33 damage gray spears)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Seems like the current rich person meta is to stack a shitton of armor to become near unkillable (75% phys reduction or higher). So what’s the effective counter to that, some magic damage dealing class? Seems hard to stack effective MR, so to compete with those teams you might need magic damage.

Of course that only applies against super try hard teams. Standard comps seem good otherwise.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
A Bard could lower their armor rating by 40 playing Shriek of Weakness perfectly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ruggan posted:

Seems like the current rich person meta is to stack a shitton of armor to become near unkillable (75% phys reduction or higher). So what’s the effective counter to that, some magic damage dealing class? Seems hard to stack effective MR, so to compete with those teams you might need magic damage.

Of course that only applies against super try hard teams. Standard comps seem good otherwise.
rogues who are also very geared can do approximately 1 morbillion magic damage through poison/rupture, and will kill a phys defense fighter in like. potentially 2 dagger pokes lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's how I would get most of my kills as a rogue. I'd stack the bleeds and poisons up and kite em around. Just constantly poking at them, making sure the dots were up and that they were getting super frustrated. Some of the kills would take forever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you get lots of +magic damage on your gear, the poison does damage really fast. even after the scaling got nerfed.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Guys, guys, the answer is right there staring you in the face:

Crystal sword melee wizard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ruggan posted:

Magic or reckless attack on barb. There's a high-end pvp barb in the official discord and once he was kitted and started focusing solely on pvp he swapped from Achilles Strike to Reckless Attack because otherwise fighters become unkillable.

https://twitter.com/ForceStrategy/status/1688965593838325765?s=20

The fourth screenshot is straight up the circular room with the skeleton champion and wraith in it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 15, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That is probably Nexon going after Dark and Dark. "The Fool's Studio"? "Greed is Good"? It's just using the maps and assets from the game?

Come on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd more expect it to be some random opportunists looking to make a buck.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
It's probably just someone who saw the potential of copying the game almost a year ago. It looks early. Or it could be Nexon launching P3, who knows, but the anims/models look way too scuffed for that.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Akumos posted:

It's probably just someone who saw the potential of copying the game almost a year ago. It looks early. Or it could be Nexon launching P3, who knows, but the anims/models look way too scuffed for that.

I feel the active development/ responsiveness/passion of this dev team does more than blindly copying unreal marketplace assets.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

milkman dad posted:

I feel the active development/ responsiveness/passion of this dev team does more than blindly copying unreal marketplace assets.

didn't they like steal it from nexon or something though?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
great question. let's have a pages long argument about it where people's minds will definitely be changed one way or another

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dark and darker is basically an asset flip as it is. Not sure why this is surprising. Most of dark and darker's models/etc are just from an asset store/library.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just thought the name of the studio and game were significant. Almost seems like picking fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Would Nexon just put a claim against the game - seeing IRONMACE's legal troubles and working on your own virtually direct clone so you can be on Steam while they can't would be a strange loophole.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 15, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Still like the game, but as gear saturation grows, I'm getting a little frustrated with the inconsistent outcomes. It seems half the time my crew is victorious or gets outplayed, and the other half the time we run into a turbo geared party that our grey/white scavenged kits never stood a chance against.

I find goblin caves a lot more satisfying, mostly because I'm seeing most people in poverty kits and I feel a lot better about dying, killing vs. getting out.

I'm not asking for ELO, but maybe gear cap limits would make me feel better. Or maybe if I just got gud.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The inconsistency is the point, extraction shooters tickle the exact same parts of your brain that slot machines do. There is no deliberate design element around half the poo poo in any of these games, but with dakka dakka it's slow enough and filled with enough deadly trash that ganks happen way more often.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Still like the game, but as gear saturation grows, I'm getting a little frustrated with the inconsistent outcomes. It seems half the time my crew is victorious or gets outplayed, and the other half the time we run into a turbo geared party that our grey/white scavenged kits never stood a chance against.

I find goblin caves a lot more satisfying, mostly because I'm seeing most people in poverty kits and I feel a lot better about dying, killing vs. getting out.

I'm not asking for ELO, but maybe gear cap limits would make me feel better. Or maybe if I just got gud.

Right. I think this is the big question - how do they give enough progression to satisfy the no-lifers without making the game entirely unfun for casuals?

In their favor they have:
- the extreme brutality of the game, which is important to prevent too much gear saturation
- the challenge in recovering looted gear, because the more gear the game can naturally reclaim the better
- the limited stash space, to prevent people from building up huge hordes of limitless gear
- the low drop rate of great gear, to make actually good loot hard to replace

However, there are a few features that are working against them:
- the trade system, which lets people acquire and transfer/mule great gear without risk
- the big chasm between how strong someone with and without great gear is

My favorite parts of the game are what you described: GC runs where everyone has poverty loadouts, and group crypt runs where you only run into reasonably geared teams. Running into a meta comp of people wearing all blues+ is just not a good time unless you’re equally geared. Preserving the magic feeling is going to be a challenge. Hope they figure it out though.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ruggan posted:

My favorite parts of the game are what you described: GC runs where everyone has poverty loadouts, and group crypt runs where you only run into reasonably geared teams. Running into a meta comp of people wearing all blues+ is just not a good time unless you’re equally geared. Preserving the magic feeling is going to be a challenge. Hope they figure it out though.

Yeah, this is about it, with good analysis above.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This game isn't going to be well made, its just going to be the first extraction shooter in this genre. I don't expect there to be much consideration into balance or anything beyond mindless wipes (looking at your tarkov).

Whoever comes into the space next might actually do it well.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Our group got rolled all night by teams in full blues and purples, feels bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The problem right now is people who are doing hell are coming through the regular dungeon with blue and purple gear and stomping everyone else in the grey to green gear. At least if you could find a blue or purple weapon, you'd have a chance. I dunno if they need to do some sort of gear score limit or what.