Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I thought it was an awful inclusion in an already tedious quest, so hopefully it stays ignorable lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I assumed that’s basically what happened with Xueyi since she’s a “cyborg”— her soul data just got put into a body that more or less looked like her old one so she can keep doing her job.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

El Burbo posted:

It’s Xueyi’s little sister as seen in Under the Blue Sky LC
Their designs are similar enough that I kind of assumed Jingliu is Xueyi's sister. Are there two different white-haired Xianzhou ladies with blue as their main colour in the works?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

If the Xianzhou developed this whole rear end system to preserve souls and make it a big part of their society (The Ten Judges is shown to be an super duper important authority) and don't use it for anything else. That tells us that Fuli the Remembrance is a bit whole lot more involved with the Xianzhou than what is being told. The messenger on the express rail did told us that they can be completely invisible so it's not far fetched that one of the Remembrance follower in the past "encouraged" them to develop this so they could further their own goal of preserving memories.

big cummers ONLY posted:

The unfortunately boring answer is that there is no profit incentive for Mihoyo to write anything other than a Saturday-morning-cartoon level of story. It's a miracle anything good gets into the game at all, and there's a reason it's all side content or otherwise optional. Any story writing will eventually reach someone's desk who only cares about "how does this increase the metrics our business cares about," and none of those metrics are "exploration of heady philosophical concepts."

But yeah, this is probably the answer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

big cummers ONLY posted:

The unfortunately boring answer is that there is no profit incentive for Mihoyo to write anything other than a Saturday-morning-cartoon level of story. It's a miracle anything good gets into the game at all, and there's a reason it's all side content or otherwise optional. Any story writing will eventually reach someone's desk who only cares about "how does this increase the metrics our business cares about," and none of those metrics are "exploration of heady philosophical concepts."

I felt the same way about Belobog's division between above and below ground society, which makes zero sense from any angle or perspective. Sure seal us up down here in complete poverty and absent the light from the sun. We don't mind, even though we know it doesn't work, since we know people cross the border all the time. We'll even do all the loving manual labor!

I mean you say that, and Genshin is kind of backing that opinion up, but HI3 is absolutely capable of having some incredibly moving stories and exploration of heady philosophical concepts. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone into the depths on Project Stigma or Forms. Not to mention a story arc like Theatre of Domination, dealing with feelings of worthlessness, depression, suicide, and survivors guilt, one of my favorite story arcs ever that made a deep lasting impression on me. Shakespears discussion with Durandul that's just straight out of Camus. Mihoyo absolutely can do better.

quote:

Shakespeare: Well… That’s because finding meaning itself is a meaning that we can give to life.

Shakespeare: Understand? We do not live as a certain type of person… rather, we live to become that type of person.

Shakespeare: The ability to create meaning to the meaningless is what distinguishes humans.

Bianka: So you’re saying that… our lives are a never-ending quest for a better version of ourselves.

Shakespeare: Yes, exactly. Some liken it to Sisyphus pushing a boulder because it never stops.

Shakespeare: In their myth, Sisyphus labored to push the boulder up the mountain, then watched helplessly as it slid back down, so on and so forth.

Shakespeare: But even they would confess… that while Sisyphus was trapped in a never-ending circle of misery, his existence seemed meaningless…

Shakespeare: But that didn’t stop Sisyphus from forging a life purpose that opposes the gods and lauds freedom.

Shakespeare: When you forsake consequentialism, you see that Sisyphus did live his life to the fullest, achieving the most fundamental sort of human happiness.

Bianka: …You mean the happiness that comes from recognising that you’re not living for nothing, or at the very least acknowledging you’re struggling with meaninglessness.

Shakespeare: Without a doubt. It’s the best type of struggle in everyone’s journey through life.

Shakespeare: We battle the world while reconciling with it, eventually acquiring meaning…

Shakespeare: …And finally, to be able to walk off the stage with a great smile and no regrets in the face of that eternal nothingness.

or the conclusion to Theatre of Domination which makes me tear up rewatching it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9e3MFZI3zE

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 14, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I did not say they are incapable. I said they are not incentivized to do so

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

I did not say they are incapable. I said they are not incentivized to do so

if they're not incentivized for genshin or HSR then they are not incentivized for HI3, yet here we are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woops guess I was wrong on which white haired lady that was.

NeonPunk posted:

Even with the limitations if only being able to resurrection souls for a short time, they can still use it in so many ways. Off the top of my head, they could install an emergency system in their combat starskiffs fleet. Just find the absolute best starskiff pilot ever and set up an direct comm to the pilot in a dire situation and have the resurrected pilot take over for a moment in the middle of a battle. They can lean in the Hunt aspect more as the alive starskiff pilots develop a culture where they try to become the next best pilots ever and live the rest of their afterlife battling endlessly fights for an eternity. Why don't the Xianzhou use this more often?

I think it's fairly simple. The dead should stay dead. Xianzhou natives thematically accrue karmic debt throughout their lives instead of their past lives because they live so long and becoming Mara (lit. demon, in Chinese version) struck is inevitable. When someone dies of old age it's because they're either mercy killed before they get Mara struck or just outright killed because they have been. The curse essentially manifests when negative emotions overwhelm someone, why would you want to be brought back in that state?

Eimi posted:

I mean you say that, and Genshin is kind of backing that opinion up, but HI3 is absolutely capable of having some incredibly moving stories and exploration of heady philosophical concepts. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone into the depths on Project Stigma or Forms. Not to mention a story arc like Theatre of Domination, dealing with feelings of worthlessness, depression, suicide, and survivors guilt, one of my favorite story arcs ever that made a deep lasting impression on me. Shakespears discussion with Durandul that's just straight out of Camus. Mihoyo absolutely can do better.

or the conclusion to Theatre of Domination which makes me tear up rewatching it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9e3MFZI3zE

I don't think it's fair to compare, because Genshin was made to appeal to the widest audience and Star Rail is capitalizing on that. HI3 is a labour of love and a pile of jank with impenetrable lore that has had like 5 major overhauls to game systems over the years and gets fully animated cutscenes and insert songs every year to cap off storylines.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Eej posted:

I think it's fairly simple. The dead should stay dead. Xianzhou natives thematically accrue karmic debt throughout their lives instead of their past lives because they live so long and becoming Mara (lit. demon, in Chinese version) struck is inevitable. When someone dies of old age it's because they're either mercy killed before they get Mara struck or just outright killed because they have been. The curse essentially manifests when negative emotions overwhelm someone, why would you want to be brought back in that state?

Yeah it's this. The biggest guiding principle for understanding star rail lore is that it takes the maxim "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and runs with it to the point where the setting is arguably more of a "fantasy in space" than a proper sci fi, so it's best to look at a lot of this through more of a fantasy lens.

In this example, asking why they don't re-instantiate deceased soul data more often is equivalent to asking in a fantasy setting why the good guys don't take advantage of necromancy magic more often. It's bad juju.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, the simple reason they don't use the brain upload thing in everyday life is xianshou's entire culture is based around "immortality sucks and we hate it, we want to die, and we want to stop anyone else from suffering from this curse"

the contradictions in this philosophy and the exceptions we see are part of the point being made, i feel

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

finally got around to revamping my Tingyun's relic set from the old musketeer set to the new speed support set.
and of course, it gets crazy rolls on a stat she doesn't really care about..
Probably could have gone atk on chest to max her skill % buff, but its not like I'm losing that much, and wanted to at least take some advantage of the silly rolls I got.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Izzhov posted:

In this example, asking why they don't re-instantiate deceased soul data more often is equivalent to asking in a fantasy setting why the good guys don't take advantage of necromancy magic more often. It's bad juju.

Okay let me run off this example. We invented necromancy in the first place, we made it an integral part of our society with the necromancers using it one of the top authority council with substantial power in our culture, and we maintain and upkeep the engine that keeps necromancy going.

But we don't use it because it goes against everything we believe in.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

boredsatellite posted:

Here's mine

Still need to max some of the skill traces but overall I'm with her so far. Trying to raise speed is going to be a nightmare though along with hit rate lol. But its the speed that irks me the msot

those are some nice juicy atk% rolls on your lightning gear substats, if i were you in this isolated example i'd prob drop some stamina on SU just to see if i could get some speed there + more attack. you really only need 2-3 ehr hits to get the 10% you need for e0s0 as well so good luck on that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also, Genshin Impact is fundamentally a story about travelling to new places and seeing what's going on there (I mean the MC is named the Traveler) while HI3 is a story about anime girls goin' through it in an Evangelion homage (Shakespeare too is an anime girl). Because new units are mostly just new suits of the same characters they keep the cast pretty small and focus the writing on their personal growth and relationships so Plot Stuff matters more emotionally to people playing the game. The flipside to HI3 is when it goes deep into Anime territory when Einstein, Tesla and/or Schroedinger show up and the writers start huffing their own farts about the cosmology of their universe. Star Rail looks like its trying to thread this needle by having a fixed main cast that travels with the player and also making alternate versions of playable characters to signify growth (beautiful chinese dragon elf man).

Anyway yeah it's important to remember that Buddhist concepts permeate Asian storytelling. Yaoshi's "blessing" disrupts the natural cycle of life, death and rebirth and that's why when you live too long the demons curse you. The Vidyadhara go through death and rebirth quite literally and also receive karmic debt directly from the people who knew them before their rebirth (Dan Feng to Dan Heng, who is saddled with the punishment for the crimes committed in a past life).

NeonPunk posted:

Okay let me run off this example. We invented necromancy in the first place, we made it an integral part of our society with the necromancers using it one of the top authority council with substantial power in our culture, and we maintain and upkeep the engine that keeps necromancy going.

The necromancy computer is a cemetary. Sometimes you go there to ask the spirits questions but otherwise you let them rest.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eej posted:

Also, Genshin Impact is fundamentally a story about travelling to new places and seeing what's going on there (I mean the MC is named the Traveler) while HI3 is a story about anime girls goin' through it in an Evangelion homage (Shakespeare too is an anime girl). Because new units are mostly just new suits of the same characters they keep the cast pretty small and focus the writing on their personal growth and relationships so Plot Stuff matters more emotionally to people playing the game. The flipside to HI3 is when it goes deep into Anime territory when Einstein, Tesla and/or Schroedinger show up and the writers start huffing their own farts about the cosmology of their universe. Star Rail looks like its trying to thread this needle by having a fixed main cast that travels with the player and also making alternate versions of playable characters to signify growth (beautiful chinese dragon elf man).

yeah.

there's space in video games for all kinds of stories. I'm not real inclined to poo poo on one story because it's not like another.

i'll poo poo on it because it's poorly written though.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

NeonPunk posted:

Most of the whizz-bang stuff we see in the Luofu was actually built back in the Elixer Seeker days, and the giant prediction/seance machine is probably one of those. The Starskiffs are frankly an even more glaring contradiction, since those were based on technology derived directly from the Arboreal Arbor itself. Yet everyone still uses those with nary a word of complaint or self-awareness.

This is actually quite normal in societies, the whole "culturally, we believe in this prohibition, but in day to day life, there are lapses or exceptions that we just don't talk about to get through the realities of day to day life."

EDIT: And yeah, on the Buddhist lens above, the whole point of the Xianshou's shtick is their successful quest for material immortality has robbed them of the chance for true spiritual enlightment and shedding of worldly suffering. They aren't thinking entirely rationally about their situation, that's the point.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So if I’m understanding this banner stuff right in this game

If Bronya was the 5 Star I got from the Kafka banner, my next 5 Star is absolutely guaranteed to be Kafka (whenever that happens I guess)?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

MechaX posted:

If Bronya was the 5 Star I got from the Kafka banner, my next 5 Star is absolutely guaranteed to be Kafka (whenever that happens I guess)?

Your next 5 star is guaranteed to be the rateup, whoever that may be at the time you roll. It doesn't have to be Kafka, you could wait for another banner to snag that unit instead.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

MechaX posted:

Your next 5* is guaranteed to be the on banner character yeah. This also rolls over to the next banner so if you don't get Kafka in time and say, want to roll for Fancy Dan, then it's guaranteed to be Fancy Dan as long as his banner is up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fancy Daniel.

Fandaniel.

Wait no

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Bussamove posted:

Fancy Daniel.

Fandaniel.

Wait no

Dan Heng does not have as punchable a face to be Fandaniel.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Mihoyo is still finding the tone pacing it wants for Star Rail's story and it's led to some awkward moments but there has been enough good moments especially in Belobog that I'm not ready to think they're playing it safe with Kids show story

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wait, Fancy Dan? That better not be Dan He- *googles*

….. man, I really like this design too, what a conundrum

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bussamove posted:

Fancy Daniel.

Fandaniel.

Wait no

no that one's fantastic daniel

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm having major choice paralysis right now. I have every 4 star in the game and three 5 star dps units and I just can't decide who to focus on. My 5 stars are Welt E2, Jing Yuan and Kafka; also Silver Wolf, Luocha and Gepard for supports. Getting 3 cool units simultaneously isn't really helping. I know I'm going to be building Pela so I can have her on one team and SW on the other.

I do know I'm definitely skipping Dragon Dan and Fu Xuan. I really just want to focus on who I have for a while.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Walla posted:

I'm having major choice paralysis right now. I have every 4 star in the game and three 5 star dps units and I just can't decide who to focus on. My 5 stars are Welt E2, Jing Yuan and Kafka; also Silver Wolf, Luocha and Gepard for supports. Getting 3 cool units simultaneously isn't really helping. I know I'm going to be building Pela so I can have her on one team and SW on the other.

I do know I'm definitely skipping Dragon Dan and Fu Xuan. I really just want to focus on who I have for a while.

at the very least people do believe jing yuan's already been crept by kafka and personally i find her way more fun to use so that'd be my vote in regards to those two. i know welt's been becoming a popular unconventional pick though i haven't built mine yet to really use him much. SW and luocha are definitely big default investments since they're just so so good and can fit into literally any team

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Walla posted:

Definitely build Silver Wolf quickly, she's an excellent support on basically any team, and she can also be a good sub-dps, partially if you build her for Break Effect on a bi-element team.

If you don't have Natasha built, I'd definitely bump Luocha to the front of the line too. If you do have her built, maybe still bump him up, having two healers is very nice for MoC, and he is by far the strongest of the three healers and makes you immortal.

Probably build Kafka, electric is a very good damage type, and math people are saying she's the strongest one in general. If you already have Serval or Jing Yuan built, though, it's not that big a bump and you can put her on the backburner for someone else.

I don't have Welt but he seems very good. Dan Heng and Sushang with at least E1 are excellent single target DPSes, with Sushang also getting to be a sub-dps as a bonus (her skill refunds the skill point on a broken enemy.) But I'd make an electric DPS a higher priority, especially since the three current ones all have good AOE and single target damage.

Luocha or Bailu/Silver Wolf/Tingyun or Pela/Serval or Dan or Sushang have handled most things pretty well for me so far, although I haven't done the current MOC yet and only went about 2/3 through the last one.

That said, I wish I had Welt to go Gepard/SW/Welt/Dan for a full "no you don't get a turn" team. I have to imagine that is very fun.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 14, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Walla posted:

You need at least two sustain characters for MoC so build up Gepard and Luocha they can single sustain a team each.

Kafka is strong enough that she can be a solo dps on a team with two supports and a sustain so that's an easy one. Example team would be Kafka, Tingyun/Silver Wolf, Asta, Gepard (free dot!!)

Welt is both a debuffer and a DPS and with his E1 he leans harder into doing DPS. Very flexible dude and if you are willing to learn how to Yukong you can make his E do stupid amounts of damage. You could do Welt, Jing Yuan, Pela, Luocha for example.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Their designs are similar enough that I kind of assumed Jingliu is Xueyi's sister. Are there two different white-haired Xianzhou ladies with blue as their main colour in the works?

Jingliu has red eyes though while Hanya (Xueyi) has blue ones. Also Jingliu has her hair tied in a blue bow while Hanya has what look like laurels. Apparently she has a playable character model and is probably going to be a 4 star at some point as well. That's some peak trauma face she's got in that image though. Mihoyo character designers are really fond of white haired characters basically is what's up. More than your average ones.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I guess I should narrow things down a bit.

My current most invested units are Welt, Serval, Dan, Sushang, Luocha, Quinque and Gepard. Asta, Tingyun and Silver Wolf are at acceptable levels. My eidolons are Welt e2, Dan e3, Quinque e5, Sushang and Serval e6. I also have eidolons for Asta, Tingyun and Yukong but I don't remember to what level.

Right now I'm blocked on MoC 6 with 1 star, and 0 on 7. I could focus on bumping my good units and lcs to 80, or I can grind for my shiny new toys. Either way I'm hosed because I'm not going to be able to get either group to a level to make more progress on the current MoC before it switches to the next.

I go through this every time I pull a new unit, because I just want to play with my new characters instead of having to wait. Getting 3 at once is just making it more pronounced, especially since I've been wanting Pela for a while now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Even at level 71 Kafka with Nihility path in SU is just :discourse:

Uzi all those fools to the shadow realm

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 15, 2023

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The drat ape on MoC 6 is an absolute bastard. FireMC with low speed as a tank was my only option.

Your teams don't look they're tuned for the current round, although I think a well-built Serval with decent support should be able to handle the first room of MoC 7, while Welt/Sushang might be a good pair against Bronya. I have built up Kafka and she definitely carried on the last few rooms though so you might enjoy just getting her worked up now so the next MoC session is a breeze - according to Prwyden it's focused on DoT.

At the start of each Cycle, all enemies currently inflicted with DoTs are immediately dealt DMG equal to 200% of the original DMG from all their DoT effects.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Even at level 71 Kafka with Nihility path in SU is just :discourse:

Uzi all those fools to the shadow realm

Nihility is the best!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meowywitch posted:

Nihility is the best!

Amateur numbers.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Edly posted:

I do have pretty good 5*s, my teams were:

March 7th, Luocha, Tingyun, Yanqing

Bailu, Asta, Silver Wolf, Seele

Oh hey, can you tell me more about your Yanqing setup? How do you deal with AoE waves? Like, with waves with more than one summon wolf just gets out of control, my Yanqing just burns through cycles single-targeting them down one by one.

My teams are some mix-and-match combo of:
(Gepard + Pela), (Luocha + Welt)
x
(Tingyun + Yanqing), (SW + Qingque (E4))

So in some sense, I'm 'similar' in that I'm using Yanqing, and SW + quantum hyper-carry. My gut feel with hyper-carry team setups (2 support + carry, as opposed to 1 support + 2 dps) is that if the enemy weaknesses aren't favorable, then you feel it really badly. Currently struggling a lot with MoC 6-7. I send Luocha + Welt + Tingyun + Yanqing on ape half, but SW + Qingque don't have the correct elements to deal with Yanqing's swords (before he goes a billion times and flat out kills me).

Like, I'd want to focus all my investment on these two teams, but I was starting to have second thoughts as I'm getting burned on bad matchups. That's why I'm so curious to hear about your experiences in particular.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

facepalmolive posted:

Oh hey, can you tell me more about your Yanqing setup? How do you deal with AoE waves? Like, with waves with more than one summon wolf just gets out of control, my Yanqing just burns through cycles single-targeting them down one by one.

My teams are some mix-and-match combo of:
(Gepard + Pela), (Luocha + Welt)
x
(Tingyun + Yanqing), (SW + Qingque (E4))

So in some sense, I'm 'similar' in that I'm using Yanqing, and SW + quantum hyper-carry. My gut feel with hyper-carry team setups (2 support + carry, as opposed to 1 support + 2 dps) is that if the enemy weaknesses aren't favorable, then you feel it really badly. Currently struggling a lot with MoC 6-7. I send Luocha + Welt + Tingyun + Yanqing on ape half, but SW + Qingque don't have the correct elements to deal with Yanqing's swords (before he goes a billion times and flat out kills me).

Like, I'd want to focus all my investment on these two teams, but I was starting to have second thoughts as I'm getting burned on bad matchups. That's why I'm so curious to hear about your experiences in particular.

I definitely used to feel this, but then at some point it felt like I crossed some threshold and YQ was doing enough damage, even on AoE waves. I do pair him with SW on floors without an ice weakness sometimes.

I'm not sure exactly what pushed him over the edge, it was some combination of investment and finding little optimizations. Eg, milking the last enemy on each wave by having everyone basic attack to build up SP.

Here's my profile if you want to compare stats: https://www.rails-express.com/u/602245355 I gave him my best crit relics since I really wanted him to hit 20% base crit rate so his ult could guaranteed crit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edly posted:

Here's my profile if you want to compare stats: https://www.rails-express.com/u/602245355

Holy moly that rope. :eyepop:

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Now that I have my own blade built up a bit I figured I'd try auto battling Phylantia at 82, so I put together a stellaron hunter team with Luocha and somebody's maxed-out Kafka. I wasn't paying attention for any of the three fights and silver wolf died at some point but it turns out with that composition she's not even necessary?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

those are some nice juicy atk% rolls on your lightning gear substats, if i were you in this isolated example i'd prob drop some stamina on SU just to see if i could get some speed there + more attack. you really only need 2-3 ehr hits to get the 10% you need for e0s0 as well so good luck on that

I'm raising Sampo right now probably won't be using stamina to farm her stuff but planning to after I'm done with him. I did luck out hard on the attack substats on my gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I unlocked the last Equilibrium right before starting the Mine Treasure Event

Big mistake. I should have waited until after :shepface: