Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Our local big Sainsburys has put barriers around the self-service area that require you to scan your receipt when you leave. I had to ask a member of staff how to get out if you haven't bought anything.

The tapes they put across the checkouts just lift off, or if you're in lidl the lock thing in the middle of the hinge just lifts up to unlock it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember my nan used to say "you'd go in somewhere if you had to pay to get out" regarding me wanting to go wander about in various places. Excited to see major retailers adopting that unironically.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh no, this was a big metal bar like the underground barriers. Like this:

The gate with the blue arrow on it only opens if you scan the receipt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't actually have anything I wanted to steal from work but the amount of times I just walked out of the building with something to take to another store without anybody batting an eyelid was a bit weird.

Also a bit baffling how much they spend on bottle tags when you can just remove them with a small magnet.

One job I left I took enough pens & notepads to last me the next decade, that was useful. This is the extent of my workplace thievery. Well, apart from wage theft obviously.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

take a run at it and slide under

channel your inner 6 year old at school disco energy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean if you just want to leave the store generally just head for the other end of the checkouts and open the tape.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ah in that case you have to leave like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZwPVEeyp3U

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
We once gate crashed a very rich persons house party (my mate worked for them) and ended up stealing hundreds, possibly thousands, of pounds worth of booze, including single malt whiskys, bottles of cognac etc. It was the end of the night, and the staff did not give a solitary poo poo. Literally helped us carry some of it to the car.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

One job I left I took enough pens & notepads to last me the next decade, that was useful. This is the extent of my workplace thievery. Well, apart from wage theft obviously.

I got a lot of facemasks and latex gloves (needed for the job, not hospital grade) before i left mine... very handy when you've just entered an epidemic. :rolleyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Our local big Sainsburys has put barriers around the self-service area that require you to scan your receipt when you leave. I had to ask a member of staff how to get out if you haven't bought anything.

So that's what that thing was! There was one in a Morrisons I went to, I couldn't work out what it was and no-one seemed inclined to explain so I ended up going back into the shop and walking out of another exit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or if you give it a reasonably hard push? Just walk into it, it’ll move.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suspect it might set the alarm off if you do that. Usually the access control systems do if you try to force them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I remember my mate incensed that someone stole a whole unstarted cheese wheel from his wedding reception. Divorced now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's what happens when you invite Nottinghamians.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Ah in that case you have to leave like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZwPVEeyp3U

Sending in the Special Reconnaissance Regiment to compromise everyone in this video to a permanent end immediately.

:(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I learned from the comments that there's more than just Luxembourg and the Leicester frog bus that have just done fare free transit, which is more than I ever expected to learn from youtube comments and also heartening that it wasn't full of "hang those who jump the gappy"

https://twitter.com/Leicester_News/status/1642784415813189635

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The barriers at Tesco Streatham that they put across the closed checkouts are big ones like you get on the Paris Metro and need an actual key to unlock and open.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I remember my mate incensed that someone stole a whole unstarted cheese wheel from his wedding reception. Divorced now.

Tell him he can get another one for next time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pffft i smuggle food out of restaurants all the time

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

That sound kinda good ngl. But I have COVID and my thinking may be compromised

Not really relevant to the thread discussion, but so have I. Are you going about your normal daily life? Because I've stayed inside these last few days and have been lucky enough to be able to rearrange some stuff to WFH, but people keep reassuring me that I don't need to isolate. Legally, yes, but...Covid!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absolutely self-isolate if you can. It's true that the majority of people who catch covid survive it, but it's playing Russian roulette with human lives to infect others, with that metaphorical bullet causing long-term damage at best. Same reason if I had flu I would also isolate. Going into an office and spreading it is literally spreading misery and a potential for long-term damage, if not death.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

But I have COVID and my thinking may be compromised

Yeah. Thats why.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need to forego vomiting on people but it's generally considered polite not to.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I grabbed a copy of Photoshop and a bunch of fancy fonts from a place years back. Granted their paychecks had started bouncing and they had cancelled our health insurance without telling us so they stole from me first. The IRS ended up taking them to court.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah. Thats why.

drat I must be in trouble cause I laughed at that.

And to answer LD, I'm self-isolating. I'm not gonna moralise about it, obviously it's the right thing to do, but I have the advantage of being WFH so it's easy.

Feel better!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's not fun going around to things being all snotty and tired and achey. I think when you tell people you're not doing X because COVID they think you're doing it out of obligation, rather than "I'm ill and feel like poo poo, I am withdrawing from society until that's not the case".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's not fun going around to things being all snotty

Really? I thought that was basically the point of the thread?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

You too!

A disproportionate number of my acquaintances are involved with historical re-enactment and would not be impressed at owning 'a' sword.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, August 2023 :siren:

Donations and payouts remained reasonably well matched this month, and as you can see from the charts it's been a relatively quiet few months overall. So much appreciation to all who continue to donate to the cause after well over three years of continuous operation - there's never been a month without someone in need, and every single month we've been able to help because of you <3

Look! Stats!

July Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

A disproportionate number of my acquaintances are involved with historical re-enactment and would not be impressed at owning 'a' sword.

The first sword is the gateway drug... it never stops at one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, August 2023 :siren:

Thanks to everyone involved in this for keeping it up.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A phenomenon depicted in that one tarot card best captioned "Oh, god, why did I buy all these swords?"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I got gifted my first sword at age 11. I now have over 25 live bladed/antique ones wrapped up in a duvet like a tetanus filled marshmallow under my desk because I have nowhere to hang them.

Theory checks out.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

big desk

round?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Camrath posted:

I got gifted my first sword at age 11. I now have over 25 live bladed/antique ones wrapped up in a duvet like a tetanus filled marshmallow under my desk because I have nowhere to hang them.

Theory checks out.

spend less on swords

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

smellmycheese posted:

How the gently caress do you smuggle out 30 pint glasses? And I say this as someone who once smuggled a whole side of smoked salmon out of a restaurant I worked in

Nothing too exciting im afraid. It was almost 20 years ago now but I think I just stacked them up, popped them in a few plastic bags and walked them out to my car.

It probably helped that I was on the shift locking up with other bar staff who gave even less than a gently caress than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Hey Camrath, I hope the fudjit sales were good in Stockport last weekend. I shopped at your stall but shied away from asking the nice lad if he had stairs in his house because he seemed confused enough that I already knew what the chilli lime fudge was like.