Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a notable bump in the animation in spots? Might be worth checking out for that alone.

Yeah, there's some comparisons around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think I heard it also reorders or better explains some plot points?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

I think I heard it also reorders or better explains some plot points?

Yeah. TV g rec was an object lesson in why overfocusing on show dont tell can be unsatisfying, the movies put more emphasis on story beats that benefit from it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was very satisfying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue?ref=clipboard-prelaunch

The comics arm of Legendary Pictures will be running a Kickstarter for a graphic novel continuation of Battlogue

For some reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It makes sense, the Gundam movie has been stuck in early development for a couple years now, they probably want something to start coming out from this arrangement. A kickstarter is also a very low risk way to gauge what the American Gundam market wants.

At first I thought the choice of a sequel to Breaker Battlogue was odd, but I've come up with two reasons that make sense. First off, it's an existing Gundam property so it's less risk for Legendary, but it's one Sunrise doesn't really care about or have plans to expand on so it's no great loss if they gently caress it up. Secondly, and more importantly, the fact that it's an existing property means that there's already a Gundam line for it. No new models required. I strongly suspect there will be clear or special coating variants of the old Breaker Battlogue kits in the higher reward tiers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It makes sense, the Gundam movie has been stuck in early development for a couple years now, they probably want something to start coming out from this arrangement. A kickstarter is also a very low risk way to gauge what the American Gundam market wants.

At first I thought the choice of a sequel to Breaker Battlogue was odd, but I've come up with two reasons that make sense. First off, it's an existing Gundam property so it's less risk for Legendary, but it's one Sunrise doesn't really care about or have plans to expand on so it's no great loss if they gently caress it up. Secondly, and more importantly, the fact that it's an existing property means that there's already a Gundam line for it. No new models required. I strongly suspect there will be clear or special coating variants of the old Breaker Battlogue kits in the higher reward tiers.

It also has a reasonably successful mobile game to draw material from, which just ended recently so there's a possible pool of fans who'd be eager for something more. No guarantees, but I can see the logic.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Followed up on December Sky with Bandit Flower. It was still good, but honestly fell a bit flat for me since it kind of shifted away from a lot of the tones and themes that made me like the first movie so much. But of course, that means I'm still craving more like December Sky... so aside from 0080, is there any other Gundam media with this same kind of "none of us are really heroes or villains, war is hopeless and its taking everything from us" vibe?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, "war is hopeless and it's taking everything from us" is functionally a thesis statement for the franchise as a whole, with some exceptions.

If you're more after moral ambiguity, you might like 00 season 1 and Iron-Blooded Orphans, though obviously the specific tone of each is very different from Thunderbolt and 0080. Of the two, IBO is probably closest to Thunderbolt of all of the main line entries.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kanos posted:

If you're more after moral ambiguity

Yeah, this is mostly what I meant. 0079, Zeta, etc definitely still puts their respective protagonists through the ringer, but there is still a very clear "Federation good, Zeon bad" or "AEUG good, Titans bad" delineation.

Kanos posted:

you might like 00 season 1 and Iron-Blooded Orphans

I had tried IBO previously, but couldn't really get into it after a few episodes. I'd be willing to try 00, but I recall hearing lots of mixed opinions on it. Admittedly, I have a hard time getting into the non-UC entries in general, but maybe that's just me being too picky.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The thing about 00 is that it's functionally two series in one, with wildly divergent tones and storytelling - the first season cleaves close to what you're after, whereas the second season is more traditional "good guys vs bad guys" stuff.

Thankfully, S1 can honestly be treated as a complete story in and of itself even if you don't vibe with S2.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
00 has some of the best music in the franchise, too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Followed up on December Sky with Bandit Flower. It was still good, but honestly fell a bit flat for me since it kind of shifted away from a lot of the tones and themes that made me like the first movie so much. But of course, that means I'm still craving more like December Sky... so aside from 0080, is there any other Gundam media with this same kind of "none of us are really heroes or villains, war is hopeless and its taking everything from us" vibe?

non-gundam but have you seen 86? if not, you should. i wouldn't say "none of us are heroes or villains" is what it's going for (i would also say that while december sky doesn't have heroes, it absolutely has villains), but if you want to see a show heavily explore the dehumanization of soldiers and the psychological effects being a soldier has on you, that's an excellent show.

honestly within gundam this theme tends to be a constant background noise rather than a show's primary focus, thunderbolt and 0080 would be the major exceptions

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

I had tried IBO previously, but couldn't really get into it after a few episodes. I'd be willing to try 00, but I recall hearing lots of mixed opinions on it. Admittedly, I have a hard time getting into the non-UC entries in general, but maybe that's just me being too picky.

Mind if I ask what your issues were? Might help figure out if the show would get better for you or if the payout would be worth the investment.

It's definitely the most morally ambiguous of the series, if that's what you're looking for, so it might be worth getting through what doesn't work for you to get to more of that, depending on what your issues were.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Mind if I ask what your issues were? Might help figure out if the show would get better for you or if the payout would be worth the investment.

It's definitely the most morally ambiguous of the series, if that's what you're looking for, so it might be worth getting through what doesn't work for you to get to more of that, depending on what your issues were.

That's a good question, and one I probably don't have a great answer for. It has probably been close to two years since I last tried it.

If I had to guess, a combination of not being UC, not having much frame of reference/world build to get interested in, and characters that I largely found uninteresting. Mikazuki just never really stood out to me.

Before I'm asked, I think I maybe watched three or four episodes before falling off.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Gin_Rummy posted:

so aside from 0080, is there any other Gundam media with this same kind of "none of us are really heroes or villains, war is hopeless and its taking everything from us" vibe?

It's not a great recommendation but I feel like MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front fits this over its three standalone episodes and it's.... fine. Pretty good at times, so long as you don't mind watching CGI of its era.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
You're talking to a guy who still unironically loves Beast Wars and Reboot era CGI. I 'd have to imagine MS IGLOO is a marked step above those.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Igloo 2 kind of plays up how goofy and clumsy they can be at CG sometimes. Also, I will always have a soft spot for tankers in mecha settings.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gin_Rummy posted:

You're talking to a guy who still unironically loves Beast Wars and Reboot era CGI. I 'd have to imagine MS IGLOO is a marked step above those.

There's just one problem with watching MS IGLOO: How fond are you of unapologetic Nazi Propaganda from WW2?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd love to see more animated stuff like December Sky and Bandit Flower but I'd want it to be more content from Thunderbolt itself rather than other shows contorted to be like Thunderbolt.

Maybe Gin Rummy might like Hathaway? It sits in a similar gray zone of moral ambiguity with a conflict between a Federation that is getting worse every passing day and terrorists whose attacks on feddie bigwigs have a way of killing lots of innocent bystanders.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 14, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fivemarks posted:

There's just one problem with watching MS IGLOO: How fond are you of unapologetic Nazi Propaganda from WW2?

IGLOO 2 was recommended and it's not that, so no worries to be had.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gin_Rummy posted:

The manga The Revival of Zeon hits some of that plus features the fantastic art of Kazuhisa Kondo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

That's a good question, and one I probably don't have a great answer for. It has probably been close to two years since I last tried it.

If I had to guess, a combination of not being UC, not having much frame of reference/world build to get interested in, and characters that I largely found uninteresting. Mikazuki just never really stood out to me.

Before I'm asked, I think I maybe watched three or four episodes before falling off.

Fair enough.

PD (the IBO setting) has a lot of fun setting stuff with the Calamity War and the modern era (the cell phone game is giving more details, including the casual reveal that there was some full-on Hell Up In Harlem with giant robots going on in living memory), but since it's not UC, there's not nearly as much material.

You're also not alone in not thinking Mikazuki is interesting. He's got a good number of great small touches (there's several scenes in season 2 with him that are some of my favorite character beats in Gundam) but he's a hosed-up, emotionally muted pile of murder, and he doesn't put much effort into expressing what's going on in his weird little skull, so it's easy to kind of ignore that anything's happening. (I'd compare him to Rei Ayanami in that respect. Both have a lot going on, but it takes attention that not every viewer is going to want to give, versus the more obvious actions of other characters.)

I like the show a lot, but the opening is one of the stronger chunks, and the middle of season 1 can be a bit of a slog. If you're not invested already, it probably won't work for you overall.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just finished rewatching zeta with my old man and when the gently caress do they bring up the bio-sensor they must have mentioned it like tweny episodes before it actually becomes relevant or something (maybe its because the subs on crunchyroll are bad)

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd love to see more animated stuff like December Sky and Bandit Flower but I'd want it to be more content from Thunderbolt itself rather than other shows contorted to be like Thunderbolt.

Maybe Gin Rummy might like Hathaway? It sits in a similar gray zone of moral ambiguity with a conflict between a Federation that is getting worse every passing day and terrorists whose attacks on feddie bigwigs have a way of killing lots of innocent bystanders.

I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed Hathaway!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

just finished rewatching zeta with my old man and when the gently caress do they bring up the bio-sensor they must have mentioned it like tweny episodes before it actually becomes relevant or something (maybe its because the subs on crunchyroll are bad)

They don't. It is entirely from supplemental materials.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd like to see new shows that have a similar tone and themes, which thunderbolt is a good example of but not the sole owner of

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

I'd like to see new shows that have a similar tone and themes, which thunderbolt is a good example of but not the sole owner of

True. I just want more Thunderbolt. It deserves to be finished, both as manga and anime.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thunderbolt is sick. Love how odd the design sense is

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/yageel2/status/1690707592224595968?s=20

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WrightOfWay posted:

They don't. It is entirely from supplemental materials.

It originates in Tomino's Zeta novelization apparently, with Franklin Bidan working on it specifically from what I gather and not just the Gundam Mk II. That said, the anime does hint that there's something more going on with the Zeta pretty heavily, with Emma telling Kamille that the Zeta has the power to absorb souls as she's dying in the finale for instance. I'm pretty sure there are one or two other lines that specifically point to the Zeta having something going on that isn't just Kamille's power at work too; though I'd have to go watch it again to say so definitively.

If you look at ZZ too, then there's a flame like aura around Judau whenever he's using the biosensor that suggests some kind of external power at work, and there are instances of similar auras around multiple other characters like Mashyrme and Haman when doing weird Newtype stuff in the show; which is why I cannot buy the idea a suit like the Qubeley doesn't have a biosensor, even if no manual apparently ever lists it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A lot of games and other media kind of mash psycommu systems, the biosensor, and psycoframes into a general "this allows you to do wacky newtype poo poo and have a DBZ aura" category.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

A lot of games and other media kind of mash psycommu systems, the biosensor, and psycoframes into a general "this allows you to do wacky newtype poo poo and have a DBZ aura" category.

This is also my understanding of all of those things

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I believe the official lore is that they tap into psychic thought waves to do "something".

Sometimes you just get a bigger beam saber, sometimes you can push a whole asteroid away from Earth. It's newtype magic, baby!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Psycommu was something different. I remember years ago now talking about Four and some people saying she's a straight up villain for her attack in... Hong Kong I wanna say. So I re-watched those eps at the time and grabbed screenshots

Basically it was doing some bad brain stuff to Four and making her go nuts and attack everything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Psyco Gundam Mk II is straight up stated to be evil, and to be controlling the pilot. That said, Four did have some awareness of what was happening and initially refuses to join Kamille because she's so desperate to regain her memories; she is okay with being the avatar of that destruction in return for her them. She eventually turns against the Titans to help Kamille, but she does so because of her feelings for Kamille and not because she's disgusted by what she's being made to do for the Titans regardless of the promise. She's still okay with doing that in order to get her memories. So I can see an argument for why someone would view her as a villain.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 15, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
gundam stories where the gundam textually rather than just subtextually makes you ultraviolent ftw.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Psycommu was something different. I remember years ago now talking about Four and some people saying she's a straight up villain for her attack in... Hong Kong I wanna say. So I re-watched those eps at the time and grabbed screenshots

*image snip*

Basically it was doing some bad brain stuff to Four and making her go nuts and attack everything.

Psycommu systems aren't specific to the Psycho Gundam, they're a general piece of equipment that allows mobile suits to use newtype weaponry and do newtype things; the Elmeth had one of the first ones ever built, and later suits like Qubeley have a psycommu.

The Psycho Gundam(and the MkII) both have psycommu systems, but they seem to be specifically tuned to torment the pilot to reinforce the lovely Titans/Axis mind control conditioning, based on everyone we ever see climbing into a Psycho Gundam being driven batshit crazy by it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said before conceptually Cyber Newtypes are a great idea, the problem in the execution is that most people who get converted into them are coerced into it, brainwashed, and/or already mentally unstable because the Titans and Neo Zeon are both a bunch of incompetent psychotic assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ohtori Akio posted:

gundam stories where the gundam textually rather than just subtextually makes you ultraviolent ftw.

Thinkin about lil baby boy Quatre obliterating a whole colony because of the Zero System.