Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I still don’t understand how people willingly watch the swill that is LTT

content is ok when the smart people are on camera.

unfortunately that's not the case in most ltt videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Romes128 posted:

content is ok when the smart people are on camera.

unfortunately that's not the case in most ltt videos.

Emily decided to step back from being on camera, so it's not the case in any ltt videos anymore honestly.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

And another one

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

I'm genuinely curious what world Linus lives in where there isn't a market for very expensive aesthetic PC upgrades that offer marginal/no performance gains. The man hosts an event called Whale LAN for christ's sake.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

kliras posted:

why is he posting through it on the official forums. i mean, i get why it's not surprising, but surely luke is somewhere pulling his hair out

Why did he hire a new CEO if the answer to this isn't a statement from that guy and no further comment in any official capacity?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rubellavator posted:

how do we know that Luke is not also bad

More often than not, his views of something line up with Linus's.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

My favorite take is that Steve made the video because he feels threatened by LTT Labs and is trying to discredit them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

quote:

The thoroughness that we managed on our last handful of GPU videos is getting really incredible given the limited time we have for these embargoes. I'm REALLY excited about what the future will hold.
How do the other, far smaller outfits with less resources manage to do these incredible feats? :confused:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

slidebite posted:

How do the other, far smaller outfits with less resources manage to do these incredible feats? :confused:

To be fair Steve has mentioned sleeping at the office multiple times when doing GPU reviews. And the Steam Deck review. And I think a few CPU reviews. Hence the joke that Steve owns a house for the cats to live in and rents the office for himself.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
How long before Linus goes full Elon?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Nowher posted:

How long before Linus goes full Elon?
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1691159582977167360

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
thanks steve

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol at them actually taking elon's side in this embarrassing debacle.

edit: maybe i'm confusing who they are calling the "big tech nerd ceo" and the "unhinged troll" in this scenario

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Linus should've given that new CEO a remote deactivation button for his phone.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Started watching the big angry GN video. He doesn't impugn the MacAddress guy does he? That dude's the pearl in the grubby LTT oyster

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

The Grumbles posted:

Started watching the big angry GN video. He doesn't impugn the MacAddress guy does he? That dude's the pearl in the grubby LTT oyster

No, they are fine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Steve kept it extremely classy and didn't impugn anyone personally. He seems like he is definitely not enjoying the drama this will undoubtedly kick up but felt he had to say something. And he's right!

Basically the bad guy is the voracious need to crank out videos as fast as possible without regard to accuracy, which goes to the top.

That and the clear disrespect shown to small companies like those water block folks. LTT is big enough to get away with doing that and others will still gladly send them their products for exposure but it's good that it is out there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

priznat posted:

Basically the bad guy is the voracious need to crank out videos as fast as possible without regard to accuracy, which goes to the top.

the algorithm strikes yet again

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

SourKraut posted:

I still don’t understand how people willingly watch the swill that is LTT

it's funny

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Why did he hire a new CEO if the answer to this isn't a statement from that guy and no further comment in any official capacity?

CBD Corndog posted:

[...]Linus has major small business owner brain[...]

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

The only people he specifically criticises are Linus and the new CEO, he’s very explicit about the LTT team themselves clearly wanting to do better work but being held back by the need for a never ending stream of daily content. Mac Address probably has it much easier since his stuff is weekly so there’s more time to produce good stuff.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

<thor_is_it_though.jpg>

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Arivia posted:

yeah you're not REQUIRED to get the target of a piece's response before you publish it, it's a nicety but it's not legally required or some poo poo.
It's actually also a good idea for legal reasons in case you get sued by the subject, since if they refuse to comment even if you give them the opportunity to, then you can use that in court for all it's worth. If your outlet has journalistic standards you have to follow them.

The funny thing is that "our outlet has no journalistic standards" is a valid defense tactic, at least in the US.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Apparently to deal with the paperwork and compliance stuff?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Astroid posted:

And another one

Sounds like Twitter.. err X's new CEO the Yacc. They're all the same, gently caress em.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I guess I should have read the thread fully before replying.

jfc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Steve's video is vicious, LTT comes away from this looking really bad

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Branch Nvidian posted:

Emily decided to step back from being on camera, so it's not the case in any ltt videos anymore honestly.

ya her stuff was the only content where I felt like I was learning something

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

JayzTwoCentz has posted a comment on the video in support of Steve, be very funny if the "Techtuber" world hard splits in two over this. Maybe we get a Broadway dance fight between Steve, Aussie Steve and Jay vs Linus, Paul Hardware and someone else I only know 5 channels. Hardware Canucks maybe.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

njsykora posted:

JayzTwoCentz has posted a comment on the video in support of Steve, be very funny if the "Techtuber" world hard splits in two over this. Maybe we get a Broadway dance fight between Steve, Aussie Steve and Jay vs Linus, Paul Hardware and someone else I only know 5 channels. Hardware Canucks maybe.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

Paul's buddy who used to be "Awesome Sauce Network," the Science Studio guy, or Optimum Tech. Maybe Daniel Owen or Dawid, but those guys seem chill.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

Whatever happened to the guy Wendell used to work with when it was Tek Syndicate? He gave off real chud rear end in a top hat vibes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

Whatever happened to the guy Wendell used to work with when it was Tek Syndicate? He gave off real chud rear end in a top hat vibes.

I was also thinking that dude, but I can't remember his name. Or much of what he looked like, other than an enormous douchebag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Avengers Endgame scene except it's Steve (also named Steve!) whispering "assemble"...

and then HWUB comes out of a portal
and then Wendell
and then JayzTwoCents
and then Actually Hardcore Overclocking
and then TechTeamGB

I'm still workshopping which side RandomGaminginHD and PhilsComputerLab are going to fall on

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wedge Regret
It's funny reading poo poo like this was a vicious takedown.

GN dude meekly pointed out poo poo and gave Linus a ton of leeway and good grace to explain away the issues and a path forward.

Biggest kid gloves take down I've ever seen.

And also yeah the Emily taking a step back thing sucks for all sorts of reasons.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My favorite part of the video is where at ~3:30, Steve points out that when you try to go from a "just entertainment" channel to a data driven 'real' tech channel, you need to actually do poo poo properly.

Linus has made millions being a clown, and has cornered the tech clown market. Why the gently caress does he want to be a serious tech analysis place? Nobody goes to his videos for that. He really is just a little Elon.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My favorite part of the video is where at ~3:30, Steve points out that when you try to go from a "just entertainment" channel to a data driven 'real' tech channel, you need to actually do poo poo properly.

Linus has made millions being a clown, and has cornered the tech clown market. Why the gently caress does he want to be a serious tech analysis place? Nobody goes to his videos for that. He really is just a little Elon.

I'm still convinced Linus wanted GN's slice of the market and Steve turned down a buyout, so Linus decided to try to compete and push GN out, but since Linus is just a clown, he has no idea how to actually do it. I have no evidence of this happening, but it's my personal conspiracy theory.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Avengers Endgame scene except it's Steve (also named Steve!) whispering "assemble"...

and then HWUB comes out of a portal
and then Wendell
and then JayzTwoCents
and then Actually Hardcore Overclocking
and then TechTeamGB

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I think he knows that he'll only be successful until another, funnier, fresher clown comes along. But good reviews are always in demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm still convinced Linus wanted GN's slice of the market and Steve turned down a buyout, so Linus decided to try to compete and push GN out, but since Linus is just a clown, he has no idea how to actually do it. I have no evidence of this happening, but it's my personal conspiracy theory.

Nah. I can easily believe him at his word when he said that he wants to re-create the stuff that inspired him way back when, whether PC magazines or the peak of web reviews like anand, Toms, etc.

But yes, I don't think he has the seriousness or attention to detail required to manage the project himself. Nor does he have the self-discipline to find the type of person who could do it and hand the reins over.

edit:

wemgo posted:

But good reviews are always in demand.

I... don't know how anyone could look at the last 20 years of tech journalism and think that.