Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
How many swords was he wielding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath about to cut the fudge to custom order at that stall

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

I got gifted my first sword at age 11. I now have over 25 live bladed/antique ones wrapped up in a duvet like a tetanus filled marshmallow under my desk because I have nowhere to hang them.

Theory checks out.

I never passed my sword on to you (actually dad's - we found it in The Great Shed Clearout of 2018*) - now I'm going to keep it with the impending fall of civilization in the next few years.

*my mum says that the greatest gift a man can give to his wife when he passes on is a tidy shed, alternating with the greatest evil a man can commit against his wife is the untidy shed. Getting that shed into a manageable state took 14 days hard labour - mostly by me - and numerous trips to the local household waste management centre.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gort posted:

spend less on swords

Most of them were actually gifts. One of my childhood best friends came from a family of antique dealers and passed a lot of stuff my way for birthdays etc. I will admit to feeling /very/ cool on my 12th birthday unwrapping a Burmese executioner’s sword.

Tesla was right posted:

Hey Camrath, I hope the fudjit sales were good in Stockport last weekend. I shopped at your stall but shied away from asking the nice lad if he had stairs in his house because he seemed confused enough that I already knew what the chilli lime fudge was like.

Hah, that would be my apprentice and good buddy Russ- I was away in the woods playing at being a cowboy all weekend, as one does. Thank you so much for stopping by :) The market treated us well in terms of trade so we’ll certainly be back for future Makers Markets there!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

One job I left I took enough pens & notepads to last me the next decade, that was useful. This is the extent of my workplace thievery. Well, apart from wage theft obviously.

You can mitigate wage theft through a sort of covert system of barter. One place never paid me some wages they owed, and I still use the nice electric drill they used to have pretty frequently.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I never passed my sword on to you (actually dad's - we found it in The Great Shed Clearout of 2018*)

Jaeluni turning out to be Camrath's mum is NOT the thread lore i was prepared to wake up to today

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

Jaeluni turning out to be Camrath's mum is NOT the thread lore i was prepared to wake up to today

LOL.
MY dad not Camrath's dad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It was the "passing sword on" comment that got me, like it was a family heirloom

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Camrath about to cut the fudge to custom order at that stall

I sighed as the artist drew his katana.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Does he have to take the swords out of the sheaths one at a time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Never seen Sengoku Basara huh? No he draws them all at once. And causes nuclear explosions.

Also his horse has motorcycle handlebars.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i just keep a big sock w/ a few golf balls in in my bedside cabinet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sun's out finally

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"unexplainable" is a poundshop "inexplicable"

USE WORDS BETTER

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems like unexplainable is the correct one there

Grammarist posted:

Inexplicable and unexplainable are mostly interchangeable—both describe things that can’t be explained—and using one in place of the other is never a serious error. They have differentiated slightly in modern use, though. Inexplicable tends to describe things that are seemingly without logic, especially human actions, feelings, and creations, but also other things that one can’t explain in rational terms. Unexplainable tends to describe nonhuman things, especially natural and supernatural phenomena, and it is also used for human things that are difficult to explain but not necessarily irrational.

So unexplainable refers to things that might be explained but can't be at present, and inexplicable is stuff in other people's heads, even though some think AI and fMRI might be able to explain most of that.

English: 2/10 bullshit language
Completely inexplicable

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

The common man's Ben-Wa balls

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

OK but what do you use for self-defence? :dadjoke:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

That's premeditation, be a hoarder like me and have a large saw, hammer, small mallet, screwdrivers & a ukulele just lying amongst the clutter of my bedroom. :kiddo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's not :dadjoke: :mad:

you might call that a birdieside cabinet! <- that's :dadjoke:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
not on BBC but on Jeremy Vine just now they've said the govt is planning a round of cuts to "tackle inflation" - state pension, ESA and "tougher assessments and conditions" for receiving PIP

loool brilliant

ah it's been reported in the times (paywalled) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/welfare-cuts-loom-after-forecast-for-inflation-to-climb-again-83sc2tgwg

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're about a week out from just saying the private part in public like Boris did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Usually when they talk about inflation beating pensions, they're increases . Not sure about this new tactic

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only troop i will respect

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

So unexplainable refers to things that might be explained but can't be at present, and inexplicable is stuff in other people's heads, even though some think AI and fMRI might be able to explain most of that.

Completely inexplicable

I would have preferred it if you had left this distinction inexplicked.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Completely inexplicable

English
So many words, so few good words

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

So unexplainable refers to things that might be explained but can't be at present
That’s just “unexplained” then, surely

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I would propose “inexplicable” means that which cannot be explained because it has no explanation, and “unexplainable” means that which cannot be explained because we lack the language or concepts to explain it.

Inexplicable is absolute, unexplainable is relative. The internet is unexplainable to a duck, but it is not inexplicable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, and adding unexplained in there I think one often assumes intent e.g. "unexplained absences" where the person could solve that by explaining them vs. "unexplainable results" meaning that current scientific knowledge cannot account for them, but future knowledge may.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Explain comes from the latin for 'to make flat' and 'Explicate' from 'to unfold' so you should only use inexplicable to describe things that can be folded, and explain for thing that can be squashed down with the flat side of a shovel. This is why 'explicate' is used more in academic circles as books are made of folds.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i could care less tbh :imunfunny:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've just realised the "s" in mansplaining comes from like nowhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
man's planing

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i couldN'T care less tbh :imunfunny:

Fixed. :grin:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well, not nowhere, X generally tends to become functionally equivalently to writing "eks" so the portmanteau uses an s to guide the pronunciation.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Manxplaining means something else but I can't decide what

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

mrpwase posted:

Manxplaining means something else but I can't decide what

mancs telling londoners how bad london is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cats without tails explaining to cats with tails what having a tail is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Feel having a tail you can't pick yourself up with is gently caress all use anyway so the manxs are probably lording it up.