Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

/etc is on an overlayfs so systemd config/links do not get wiped on updates. /usr isn't though.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know about the overlayfs. That's a surprisingly user-friendly design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can still end up in trouble if the underlying OS layer gets updated in such a way that it chokes on the old versions of things in your overlay, but it’s not very common.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've just kept an Ansible playbook around so all I need to do is enable ssh and then let the playbook configure my deck whenever I reset it or update it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

You can still end up in trouble if the underlying OS layer gets updated in such a way that it chokes on the old versions of things in your overlay,
Arch wouldn't do that to you. That would be silly.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

i heard moonlight was getting killed by nvidia, is the steam remote play feature supposed to work with the deck? i tried it briefly and it just crashed my deck when i tried to launch a game :negative:

They killed game stream (the desktop component), so you can still use moonlight and stream from your desktop, you just have to install and use sunlight on your desktop to do it.

Steam remote play works for me but has awful performance and latency. 've had no issues with sunshine/moonlight, and performance is just as good as game stream was for the one month I used it before it broke.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 15, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
we were talking about the input stuff again in the roguelike thread and i guess i'm not the only person who really wishes it was possible to activate radial menus with buttons

even if it's a long shot, does anyone in here know how to contact valve with this suggestion? i figured this was one of the more steam-centric threads to ask in

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Woke up to see my decks screen doing the whole “screen on but showing black” deal had to reboot it and then sign in again. :thumbsup:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

I tried using Moondeck and it completely freaks out and panics whenever a third party launcher is involved, got my PC stuck in 1280x800 resolution for a while trying to launch Cyberpunk before I was able to launch the regular Moonlight app and kill it.

FYI if something shits its pants on linux theres usually a log file somewhere telling you how to fix that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So many of the issues in this thread can be chalked up to ~T H A T S L I N U X~ :shrug:

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's so weird; I can handle inverted sticks no problem. In fact, I used to prefer it. But when it comes to gyro, I can't do it.

That’s not weird. Inverted sticks make sense because you’re using a device to control your characters vision, so for some people (who are correct) it operates like a flight joystick where tilting forward moves the head/eyes down. Another way of thinking of how it makes sense to people is to imagine the camera is literally on the other end of the joystick from where your thumb is. To look down you’d have to tilt the stick up so the bottom angles downwards.

With gyro it actually works this way by default, so inverting it messes it up. By default you tilt the device forwards and it looks down, like how an “inverted” joystick works. It really just exposes that “non-inverted” joystick controls actually don’t make as much sense as “inverted”.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Up to look up

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Seymour Buttz posted:

That’s not weird. Inverted sticks make sense because you’re using a device to control your characters vision, so for some people (who are correct) it operates like a flight joystick where tilting forward moves the head/eyes down. Another way of thinking of how it makes sense to people is to imagine the camera is literally on the other end of the joystick from where your thumb is. To look down you’d have to tilt the stick up so the bottom angles downwards.

With gyro it actually works this way by default, so inverting it messes it up. By default you tilt the device forwards and it looks down, like how an “inverted” joystick works. It really just exposes that “non-inverted” joystick controls actually don’t make as much sense as “inverted”.

and yet, if you think about it like an extension of your eyes, you just look up.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I think of it as a mouse cursor.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

a thumbstick is not a joystick. they have different rules

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Inverted4lyfe and everyone who disagrees has a different opinion than me

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

tuyop posted:

and yet, if you think about it like an extension of your eyes, you just look up.

If it’s an extension of my eyes looking out from the controller towards my thumb, sure, yeah.

VV yes correct

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 15, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine the thumbstick is mounted to the top of the camera.

To look up you would have to pull the thumb stick back towards you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
real talk, has anyone done any psychological or neurological study on why some people are vertically inverted and some are not? And horizontally inverted!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Probably the same reason some people are left handed (smart) or right handed (dummies). Brains are cool.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

no

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So many of the issues in this thread can be chalked up to ~T H A T S L I N U X~ :shrug:

I dunno if it's just luck or what but I've had a lot less of those than other linux installs I've used.

The occasional hiccup, sure, but nothing that was disastrous or that couldn't be attributed to my POS Virgin Media router or me being thick.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 15, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Beve Stuscemi posted:

To look up you would have to pull the thumb stick back towards you.

By this rational you would also invert horizontally which is truly sicko behavior.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Inverted is manipulating the camera like a 3d object in space.
Normal is telling the camera where to point like a director.

I can use both because momma raised no quitter

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That would make the camera roll if pushed to the side. You need to imagine the thumbstick jammed up the cameraman's rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My favorite are games that label non inverted as inverted. Not that uncommon in the PS2 days.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its all to do with where you mentally place the pivot point but the logic for inverted flight controls is that your're not moving up/down you're angling fowards versus backwards. If you lean forwards you face downwards, lean back and you face upwards.

If you play something with like zero G space thrusters where you just apply flat up and down without angle then that makes sense to me but like up should only be up when it actually makes you go up to my mind.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Rinkles posted:

My favorite are games that label non inverted as inverted. Not that uncommon in the PS2 days.

One of the best emulator features is the ability to bind the right stick on a per game basis to fix the PS2 games that won't let you configure the camera correctly.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 15, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno if it's just luck or what but I've had a lot less of those than other linux installs I've used.

The occasional hiccup, sure, but nothing that was disastrous or that couldn't be attributed to my POS Virgin Media router or me being thick.

Oh yeah by Linux standards, SteamOS is god drat reliable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vic posted:

That would make the camera roll if pushed to the side. You need to imagine the thumbstick jammed up the cameraman's rear end.

This is all I imagine. Every day

ADIDATTJUTCA

All
Day
I
Dream
About
The
Thumbstick
Jammed
Up
The
Cameramans
rear end

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is all I imagine. Every day

ADIDATTJUTCA

All
Day
I
Dream
About
The
Thumbstick
Jammed
Up
The
Cameramans
rear end

Get this goon a shoe deal.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I think about whether I prefer inverted or regular they both stop making any sense at all.

I just play however the default for the game is set up unless it’s something totally batshit like a flight sim that defaults to non-inverted which is objectively hosed up and wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Or if the horizontal controls are inverted. Who the gently caress does that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Or if the horizontal controls are inverted. Who the gently caress does that.

A literal psychopath

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
My partner can ONLY play 3rd person games with Invert Horizontal and Normal Vertical. She was frustrated for years trying to control even easy games like Persona... years of struggle "steering" and then Invert Horizontal becomes a thing one day, and now suddenly shes just fine at these types of games. wtf.

Like, I have to do Invert Vertical because I played too many dorky Flight Sims as a kid, but she has nothing like that going on. She started playing games on Gamecube and PS2, so it wouldnt have ever really been an option, I feel? Some people are just built different, or so they say. We cant figure it out. :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lots of PS2 games were inverted horizontal by default, if there was an option at all

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

homeless snail posted:

Lots of PS2 games were inverted horizontal by default, if there was an option at all

oh? which ones do you know?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

wizard2 posted:

oh? which ones do you know?

Primal does, I played it and it’s default controls are horrible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know off the top of my head mostly earlier third person games and especially Japanese ones from what I remember, but loading up random PS2 roms will teach you to adapt to inverted controls. For a long time when a game offered me the choice it took me awhile switching back and forth to remember what I actually liked.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Around when dark souls 3 was coming out I was also replaying some of the kingdom hearts games, which invert the horizontal axis. I didn’t really notice when playing them but switching to dark souls where it wasn’t was really jarring. The worst part was that while dark souls would let you toggle the horizontal invert on/off, doing so also affected manual bow aiming.
I just sucked it up and got used to acclimating back and forth

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I play first-person* games with inverted Y and third-person games with inverted X/Y. I don't need to justify it either. It's all habit that stems from a combination of flight-sims and GoldenEye having first-person invert Y by default (and Quake being trivial to configure), and Super Mario 64 tutorializing camera controls.

* Also third-person "over the shoulder"/aiming mode vwhere the aiming reticle is still the center of the screen. It doesn't matter that there's a player model off in the corner it's still functionally first-person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can play either way for the Y fine, but would prefer inverted overall. I can barely wrap my brain around inverted X, though, and I've stopped playing a few games because I can't mesh with the camera control at all.