Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Got to level 50.

Does this game do like e.g. WoW where the xp required to level and the xp gained from quests in a new tier/expansion increases by a lot to incentivize players to move to the new content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ineptitude posted:

Got to level 50.

Does this game do like e.g. WoW where the xp required to level and the xp gained from quests in a new tier/expansion increases by a lot to incentivize players to move to the new content?

I don't think so, everything scales down/up to you and you gain the same amount of XP wherever you fight unless something has drastically changed in the past year or two.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Browsed the Bullroarer beta forum for a bit and the River-hobbit race is looking a bit poo poo compared to the other "premium" options IMO, Stout-axe Dwarfs in particular. Here's a video comparison someone made between new and old female hobbits.

The animations look really wooden and stilted. I was hoping Stout-axes indicated a move towards a more stylised aesthetic but I reckon River-hobbits have less character than the ancient original models :smith:

Edit:

Turns out they're using the default human animations for now. Does sort of seem like they've shrunk down the regular human models and called it a day. Very low effort even by SSG standards!

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 31, 2023

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of the new web store at all

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

it looks like an android gatcha game's store, it's so loving ugly

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Comrade Koba posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised they’re taking a page from WoW here and keeping this as a generic starter area for any new races added later on. Don’t think we’ll see any new prologues moving forward, that would at least make sense from a design perspective.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if you created a River-hobbit but didn’t own BtS?

Guess people didn't like that, so this dev made a little starting intro for them before they head off to Mossward.

https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/update-37-river-hobbits.2135/page-21#post-22071

quote:

So here's the thing: I think the years of interest in playable River-hobbits made us overestimate how much players would want to come up with their own backstories for their new hobbits. As a result, the plan had been for River-hobbits to arrive at Mossward with their histories a blank slate - you could decide for yourself what brought you to Mossward and the adventuring life. Turns out that was unpopular! So I burned some midnight oil and made a new introduction for River-hobbits. You can still get the original vision for River-hobbits by selecting 'Before the Shadow' at character creation, and you'll play through 'Mossward, the Border Village.' Otherwise, by default (or by choosing 'Shadows of Angmar'), your new River-hobbit will play through my new introduction 'Humble Beginnings,' which provides you with some more backstory and explains how you came to be at Mossward. So you can pick the starting instance you prefer, and whichever one you choose you'll still end up in Mossward after the Uruk attack, ready to start your adventures.

On a different not. I'm very happy with how I got the look of this character.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Any of you lovely folks play on Evernight (EU)?

A buddy of mine and I started a new kinship that is mostly for EVE online goons (terrible people, terrible game)

So if you are around say hi to Raviyoyla

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

adary posted:

Any of you lovely folks play on Evernight (EU)?

A buddy of mine and I started a new kinship that is mostly for EVE online goons (terrible people, terrible game)

So if you are around say hi to Raviyoyla

I have spent my lotro life on Gladden but the kin I rolled with since 2007 died years ago. I rolled a high elf captain (man captain was my main on Gladden). Will shoot you an ingame mail!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

They are apparently shooting to get U37 out next week.

I have been playing a little bit more on my Captain and trying to remember how the game works, and oh boy is that new Legendary Item interface still terrible. I had to google search to figure out how to open the panel for it. Shift double click or drag it over a kind of nondescript icon in the character screen? Yikes.

It really kind of sucks that Nazgun ended up on a server that is the second to least busy. I almost want to roll a character on Arkenstone or just go back to some characters I have on Gladden from when I played with some people from work there just because it seems like the game is so dead. But maybe that's just how it is until you get to the new content?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Cutedge posted:

They are apparently shooting to get U37 out next week.

I have been playing a little bit more on my Captain and trying to remember how the game works, and oh boy is that new Legendary Item interface still terrible. I had to google search to figure out how to open the panel for it. Shift double click or drag it over a kind of nondescript icon in the character screen? Yikes.

It really kind of sucks that Nazgun ended up on a server that is the second to least busy. I almost want to roll a character on Arkenstone or just go back to some characters I have on Gladden from when I played with some people from work there just because it seems like the game is so dead. But maybe that's just how it is until you get to the new content?

I have no idea what goes on US servers, but EU Evernight is pretty busy during EU primetime

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah but Landy is the best

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've never felt like Landroval is unpopulated or unbusy while playing, but I guess I don't know what it's like on the more bustling servers to compare to...

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah but Landy is the best

that's a weird way to spell Laurelin

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I just learned there's an add on that puts all your travel skills into one window and it has cleared up so many buttons on my hotbars.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

You should share the link. It is a very nice add-on for all the travel skills.

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info1113-TravelWindowII.html

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Drone posted:

I've never felt like Landroval is unpopulated or unbusy while playing, but I guess I don't know what it's like on the more bustling servers to compare to...

It's probably the area of the game I'm in (Western Rohan).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cutedge posted:

It's probably the area of the game I'm in (Western Rohan).

Yeah, FWIW I don’t think I ever saw another player during all the time I spent there. Eastern Rohan was nearly as bad.

Currently in west Gondor and it’s a ghost town as well, but at least the questing is nicer than Rohan.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

No one goes to Rohan. Tis a cursed place.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Natsuumi posted:

No one goes to Rohan. Tis a cursed place.

I was told these were desperate times for the Rohirrim. :smith:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

I was told these were desperate times for the Rohirrim. :smith:

Extremely. Their horses are sick with lag and slide around uncontrollably.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I’ve decided i want to finish each book of a relevant expansion before moving on to the next but am having second thoughts.

Book 13, 14 and 15 of the vanilla game were real boring, especially Book 14 with its insane trekking back and forth between the liteal ends of Forochel multiple times.
Im now at book 5 in Moria and it feels equally bullshitty. Why do i need to go to waterworks to talk to a dude, get sent to Heart of Fire, get sent back to waterworks to kill 5 goblins then back to heart of fire then twenty first hall to talk to a dude them back again to waterworks. Ugh.

Are the Books going to continue being so timewasty and full of travel?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 21, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I’ve decided i want to finish each book of a relevant expansion before moving on to the next but am having second thoughts.

Book 13, 14 and 15 of the vanilla game were real boring, especially Book 14 with its insane trekking back and forth between the liteal ends of Forochel multiple times.
Im now at book 5 in Moria and it feels equally bullshitty. Why do i need to go to waterworks to talk to a dude, get sent to Heart of Fire, get sent back to waterworks to kill 5 goblins then back to heart of fire then twenty first hall to talk to a dude them back again to waterworks. Ugh.

Are the Books going to continue being so timewasty and full of travel?

I've always assumed the original intent was for the book quest to act partly as a breadcrumb quest chain leading you between different quest hubs while offering some plot exposition along the way. That is, you weren't supposed to just power through them in one go but instead supposed to finish all the sidequesting in the new areas you hit before moving on with the main plot.

There's some backtracking in the later books, but nothing nearly as bad as all the poo poo you had to do in the post-SoA content (book 10-15).

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

It is why some extra hearthstone binds and reduced cool down is a top recommended thing to spend lotro points on.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Ineptitude posted:

IIRC 13-15 were added in the long, long time before moria as first expansion appeared. They are incredibly time-wasting because people were starved for something new to do for such a along time.

Inside moria it was different - you would do the books alongside the exploring and the usual dungeons, the dailies and so on.

Sadly the bullshit back-and-forth never really stopped for the later books (esp FFUUUUCKK all the books happening in minas tirith). I used a shitload of mithril coins to cut that bullshit down to size.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah once you hit level 50 I would just go to Moria because it's such a jump in the quality of experience over the earlier zones and quests.

Update 37 is supposed to come out tomorrow but there's no downtime notice and no patch notes posted yet so I assume that it's coming in hot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to the 23rd or 24th.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cutedge posted:

Yeah once you hit level 50 I would just go to Moria because it's such a jump in the quality of experience over the earlier zones and quests.

Update 37 is supposed to come out tomorrow but there's no downtime notice and no patch notes posted yet so I assume that it's coming in hot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to the 23rd or 24th.

My eternal recommendation for all players is to go to Moria at 45 to do the intro quest because the LIs you get from it will blow away any weapon and class item you will see before 50. Sure the mobs will be purple/red but you can still clear them out 1-2 at a time if you're careful and have decent gear. Some level 40-45 (crit) crafted gear will be more than enough. Once you finish the Moria intro you'll be in the 46-47 range and can just do quests in Eregion, which is much better laid out than other pre-Moria quest hubs, and once you hit 48 you can start the quests inside Moria itself. If someone really wants to finish the Angmar stuff then fine, go right ahead, but even then there is no reason not to do the Moria intro for the legendary items and the huge power boost it gives.

I did many, but not all, the quests (and the full epic) on my Captain starting at 48 and was level 61-62 when I finished Moria. I think I was 63 when I started Mirkwood since I did very few non-epic quests in Lothlorien. I think I ran Grand Stairs(?) once for its pile of quests and don't recall running other instances (except the turtle) on the captain either. Moria has a lot of XP and stuff to do. I also had so many rep tokens from drops that I was able to instantly max rep on my champion before they set foot inside Moria (I immediately got them the good rep mount once they could go inside).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Some of the raids and dungeons in Moria were so good. I really wish they had a better system for running that content.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nektu posted:

....... I used a shitload of mithril coins to cut that bullshit down to size.

I absolutely hate suggesting spending more real money inside a game, but a stack of Mithril Coins to use to cut out the longest walks are a good idea.

Every time I open the map and see how far I have to travel to progress jsut one quest, I can often use a single Mithril Coin to save a 10 minute run.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Or you could just play a Warden for campaign content. They are fun and you can teleport everywhere. Why haven't you made a Warden yet?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Will need to rethink if i continue playing this game.

Its a fairly old fashioned game at this point, but it is LOTR and the Book quests are a nice touch. It interesting how you get to play along the main plotline of LOTR, and it is good that they didn't make you a self-insert into the main story but rather you play a parallel one, yet get to (presumably) participate in the main events. E.g. i assume the Moria book quests will culminate in meeting the Balrog.

That said, the rest of the game is kinda so-so and if i need to keep using 80% of my time just traveling between book objectives im not sure i am going to bother.

Edit: So im doing Book 5 chapter 5 (the 3 skirmishes to defend various locations)
You need to go from 21st hall to The Deep End, talk to the dwarf, go back to 21st hall so you can start the skirmish, finish the skirmish by talking to the same dwarwf, get ported to 21st hall, go BACK to the loving deep to talk to the same loving dwarf one more loving time to complete the quest.
Rinse and repeat this entire process for the other 2 skirmishes as well.
Oh and none of these locations have swift travel. Why the gently caress can't they at least add swift travel between every travel location for old content.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 22, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Been a while since I did Moria, but can’t you start those skirmishes from the instance finder panel?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Been a while since I did Moria, but can’t you start those skirmishes from the instance finder panel?

Ineptitude, like me, might have skipped doing the skirmishes until that moment.

I remember posting that I had to run back to Skirmish camp in the hall and then back to the first NPC because I hadn't done any skirmishes yet. I don't remember if I had to for the rest.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting to let Ineptitude know that so far in Volume III, Book 1, each quest has given me a one-time usable item that teleported me directly to the next place I was supposed to go.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 22, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

They did add a bunch of swift travel locations that weren't in the game when I started playing when it launched to f2p too.

But yeah Moria would've been rough to do again without the warden muster at 21st Hall.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 22, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

OhFunny posted:

in Volume III, Book 1, each quest has given me a one-time usable item that teleported me

Ok that is good news. Zero such items for Vol 1 and Vol 2 at least.

ILL Machina posted:

They did add a bunch of swift travel locations that weren't in the game when I started playing when it launched to f2p too.

There is such a lack of swift travel locations now it must have been really bleak before this change 😬

:perfect:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

There is such a lack of swift travel locations now it must have been really bleak before this change 😬

Yes. Yes it was. Evendim, in particular, was famous for it's long afk swims. Even the shire was harder to get around. Having the muster at nobottle has been great.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Zero communication from SSG on this but gee I guess update 37 isn't coming out today :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ILL Machina posted:

Yes. Yes it was. Evendim, in particular, was famous for it's long afk swims. Even the shire was harder to get around. Having the muster at nobottle has been great.

I have fond memories of making my character swim across Evendim and getting up to go grab a drink, make food, etc, only to come back and not be done swimming across the drat lake yet.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Where did anyone get today for U37 release? The most I saw from the devs was sometime "this week".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

Where did anyone get today for U37 release? The most I saw from the devs was sometime "this week".

Especially since LOTRO maintenance days are Wednesdays, not Tuesdays :P