Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Michael Transactions posted:

Got first place at competition. First time competing. Was fun. I was surprised how gassed I would get in the matches. I think I'll do it more.

Congarts!

Some guys from my gym competed in an agf competition yesterday in Memphis. Idk yet how it went for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Michael Transactions posted:

Got first place at competition. First time competing. Was fun. I was surprised how gassed I would get in the matches. I think I'll do it more.

Thats awesome! What belt level did you compete at?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Why, when people say stuff like 'Can we go light? I'm coming back from injury' do I believe them? 100% of the time these people wait for the first opening then try and dive on/rip some stupid dangerous nonsense at 100% pace. Normally, I do not face crank anyone, but gently caress you visiting blue belt dipshit. Afterwards he said something like 'You have to roll this way at 40 to protect yourself'. I'm 48 and 20# lighter than you sir, wtf are you talking about actually? I'm hoping he's still visiting tomorrow because I'd like to practice my rhino choke. At least he had the decency to be terrible to go along with being an rear end in a top hat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Acinonyx posted:

Why, when people say stuff like 'Can we go light? I'm coming back from injury' do I believe them? 100% of the time these people wait for the first opening then try and dive on/rip some stupid dangerous nonsense at 100% pace. Normally, I do not face crank anyone, but gently caress you visiting blue belt dipshit. Afterwards he said something like 'You have to roll this way at 40 to protect yourself'. I'm 48 and 20# lighter than you sir, wtf are you talking about actually? I'm hoping he's still visiting tomorrow because I'd like to practice my rhino choke. At least he had the decency to be terrible to go along with being an rear end in a top hat.

I just say "go at your pace, I'll match you" if it isn't someone I already know is capable of rolling chill

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hit as hard as you wanna get, lol.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

'You have to roll this way at 40 to protect yourself'.

Bullshit, if anything you need to slow down at 40. My "I'm 40 years old and need to protect myself" rolls are mostly just getting closed guard and an overhook, holding that until the young blood gasses out, then sweeping and pinning. Maybe hunting for a sub, maybe not. I'm very content to just place my fat belly on top of a 24 year old for three minutes if needed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just say "go at your pace, I'll match you" if it isn't someone I already know is capable of rolling chill

Thats my response. I also ask for specific injury areas, because I have had people get butt hurt when I hit a submission and they tap and go "my knees injured" or something as if its my fault that I dont keep a list of everyones specific injuries theyre nursing. Like bro I got my own to worry about, tell people when youre hurt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

Refuse to roll with that dude next time. "No I am actually injured...from the last time we rolled". What an rear end in a top hat.

Getting better DOES NOT mean putting yourself in a position to get injured. Save that poo poo for tournament (and Im not even sure its really necessary there either).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
locke (who gave us the thread title) doesn't follow their own advice when rolling, smh

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Has the meta moved on? Do we need a new thread title?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

The new meta is just stand up you idiot.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Defenestrategy posted:

The new meta is just stand up you idiot.

Grappling: Just stand up, it doesn't cost you anything

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Refuse to roll with that dude next time. "No I am actually injured...from the last time we rolled". What an rear end in a top hat.

Instead of that, my plan is to Darth Vader choke him the next time I see him. It might not be the most annoying way to get tapped, but it has to be close. Thankfully he's bad, so the danger posed was/is limited.

I'm curious about this meta of 'standing up'. I'm stuck in the 'sit down as soon as you touch lest you be flung to the ground unceremoniously' meta.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

Instead of that, my plan is to Darth Vader choke him the next time I see him. It might not be the most annoying way to get tapped, but it has to be close. Thankfully he's bad, so the danger posed was/is limited.

I'm curious about this meta of 'standing up'. I'm stuck in the 'sit down as soon as you touch lest you be flung to the ground unceremoniously' meta.

There is nothing preventing you from standing back up and passing from your feet. No one passes from their knees for the most part if you look at any compeition (IBJJF, ADCC, etc). I find most of my passes are more successful from me standing than if I try to pressure pass, etc.

awkward_turtle posted:

Grappling: Just stand up, it doesn't cost you anything

For the most part, this is true.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Trash wrestling but 100% just stand up. Even if you're going right back to guard.

... Oh I thought thread starters could change titles now but guess I cannot

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

There is nothing preventing you from standing back up and passing from your feet. No one passes from their knees for the most part if you look at any compeition (IBJJF, ADCC, etc). I find most of my passes are more successful from me standing than if I try to pressure pass, etc.

For the most part, this is true.

I was working on passing at my Judo school last week and they pointed out that they can pass standing, but if they go down for a knee cut or whatever they can't stand back up again or the ref will stop it and stand them back up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was working on passing at my Judo school last week and they pointed out that they can pass standing, but if they go down for a knee cut or whatever they can't stand back up again or the ref will stop it and stand them back up.

Ish. The refs I know will let you go to your feet if you're keeping a connection with the opponent and moving. So standing up from the knees into an immediate leg drag and shelf = ok, but standing up and separating = mate.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

The new meta is take the back from outside ashi

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

nah i think the thread title as is still is funny

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mekchu posted:

nah i think the thread title as is still is funny

Yes, wait at least until something funny comes up

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone watching the AIGA Champions League this weekend? That should be some interesting poo poo. I predict a lot of Russians protecting their legs.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Im a little confused how they would stand up from that knee cut position. Most of the time your opponent would have a death grip with their legs on your leg or ankle to prevent you from passing, and once you pass your either securing the position or going for like knee on belly/opposite knee on belly. Seems like a dumb rule, but maybe I havent thought out all possibilities of the position.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 17, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just meant any situation in which your pass fails and you're trying to stand back up to start over again. Like maybe you knee cut, but as you go in for the pin they've framed and you don't really have it. At that point you can't stand back up to try something else, you've gone down to the mat and you're committed.

Edit: i tend to knee cut into side control or scarf, but if they beat me to the frames I keep going into north south because I feel like they can't defend their hips and their chest at the same time. And it's possible I might stand back up if it's all going to poo poo and I just want to reset and try something else. I dunno, maybe a bad example, but regardless, once you go down, you're in it to win it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 17, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone watching the AIGA Champions League this weekend? That should be some interesting poo poo. I predict a lot of Russians protecting their legs.

it should be free on youtube for anyone interested (it was last time a few months ago)

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Any tips for dealing with flexible opponents who can bring their knee very close to their chest to prevent you from completing a pass and stabilise? I have some success passing half guard, but against a few people they recover guard by framing with their knee to block knee on belly, then pivot their whole body to square back up or re-enter half guard.

Over under is an option where this is not a problem, but I've been having trouble entering it due to knee issues so I can't really pass or enter over under standing. Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

themongol posted:

Any tips for dealing with flexible opponents who can bring their knee very close to their chest to prevent you from completing a pass and stabilise? I have some success passing half guard, but against a few people they recover guard by framing with their knee to block knee on belly, then pivot their whole body to square back up or re-enter half guard.

Over under is an option where this is not a problem, but I've been having trouble entering it due to knee issues so I can't really pass or enter over under standing. Thanks!

if I understand you correctly, that's actually a passing position which favours the top player strongly, if you're being tight in your space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZWRDCTlDI

e. a long video but skip around to see what he does

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

You know what I want to see on BJJ Fanatics (maybe I just havent seen it): "Playing Against Big Guys: A Blueprint".

Anyone recommend anything along those lines? Would be interested in seeing just some strategies.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

You know what I want to see on BJJ Fanatics (maybe I just havent seen it): "Playing Against Big Guys: A Blueprint".

Anyone recommend anything along those lines? Would be interested in seeing just some strategies.

Thats all bjj does, wheres the beating up the smaller weaker opponent series for us giants is what I want to know.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There is this:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

There are series on that topic. I think Bruno malficine has one? A lot of Lachlan and Mikey's stuff is tuned that way just because of their size. Lucas lietes coyote guard content is also good. He claims he finds bigger guys easier to deal with than smaller speedsters.

The younger "Rod" jayrod(?) has one on taking down bigger guys.

I think there's also content for being a giant and smashing? Bernardo doesn't advertise that way but he's a big guy and his game is very applicable if you're big but not a freak athlete with unfair speed and coordination too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Generally speaking you want to funnel to half guard, back attacks and leg attacks against bigger and stronger training partners as their strength isn’t so useful from these spots.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Half guard is the central pillar of my bottom game; it's the guard I work to get to, and it's the waypoint or (or life preserver) I can search for when I'm getting smashed.

Actually, why is half guard so good? Why is it harder for the opponent to use their weight against you? Because, when compared to full guard, there's so much more danger of them losing their base if they to pressure down on you? Because you're always threatening to shuck the arm and get behind them? I started using half guard both because it worked and because it's highly recommended if you want to slow the roll down, but I don't know that I could articulate the mechanisms and relationships that are doing this.

But yeah, half guard. Learn how to get half guard from mount, and learn how to frame into a very strong half guard, and the options you have from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8x1Cva8hJ8

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Open guard requires athleticism, closed guard requires lots of abdominal activity that can gas you, half guard is a lot less physically involved especially if you can get an underhook and your head in the right position you are essentially stuck to them , kinda like back control. Sweeps from there don’t require the same athleticism as from most other guards

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there's a world of of difference on whether or not you have that underhook and you're postured up. I don't even consider it half guard if they've got your shoulders flat on the mat. I know technically, in both BJJ and Judo, you're not past the guard until you get that leg or foot out, but if you're on the bottom in "half guard" and you're smashed flat, that's like someone whizzering you into the mat while you feebly protest that you have the underhook.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
When I get flatbacked I spam John Wayne/knee lever sweeps until I either get the underhook or the butterfly hook and then it’s back on offense

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah bottom half guard can result in some of the worst pins in the sport.

I like both playing bottom half, and also forcing half from top to work passes.

A land of contrasts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Yeah bottom half guard can result in some of the worst pins in the sport.

I like both playing bottom half, and also forcing half from top to work passes.

A land of contrasts.

I'm the same way actually; I look for half guard when on the bottom, and I'll willingly let my knee slice turn into half guard when I'm on top.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the reccomendations!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, there's a world of of difference on whether or not you have that underhook and you're postured up. I don't even consider it half guard if they've got your shoulders flat on the mat. I know technically, in both BJJ and Judo, you're not past the guard until you get that leg or foot out, but if you're on the bottom in "half guard" and you're smashed flat, that's like someone whizzering you into the mat while you feebly protest that you have the underhook.

True. Ive been trying to sit up more from all positions. Even open guard by playing sit up guard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
half guard punches above its weight because the most threatening attack for the top guy is a kneebar and BJJ players don't know how to do those

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

half guard punches above its weight because the most threatening attack for the top guy is a kneebar and BJJ players don't know how to do those

God, that's the truth. We JUST drilled knee bars from there last week and it was super easy and the technique has already completely left my mind because I'm not allowed to do them until...Brown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Half guard is absolutely miserable if you both know what youre doing. Guy on bottom getting smashed in the face by a shoulder repeatedly, guy on top getting knee torqued.

Also just got my judo yellow belt. No belt mummy pic because I dont think they expected me to just dunk on their test backwards and forwards, so belts in the mail.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 18, 2023