Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OK so I'm just going to start waving at everyone. Good vibes all round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It seems like whenever someone waves at me I'm shifting through gears and the best I can do is lift my fingers off the steering wheel to give a half hearted wave while I drive with my thumb.

I'm not snubbing you people on purpose!

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
My dry starts are up to 3, sometimes 4 whole seconds of fast idle, how hosed is my oil pump?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
NDs are the current model for sale which means a lot of people buy them for various reasons and it's just another car for a lot of buyers. Anyone with an NC or earlier has it because they love Miatas, and act accordingly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
When my 8 year old is with me she waves at everything. It's like a parade float lol

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have not washed my Miata in many months so my expectations for the Optimum No Rinse wash in the garage were low, but I'm impressed with how clean I got it.

It's been over 100° F for what feels like two months, so even doing this in the garage had me sweating buckets. At least it only took maybe half an hour.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the gods hath smiled and i heard from the shop. They can get the replacement hood/trunk/roof in perhaps as early as next week. Then we have the dealer replace those, the body shop does PDR on the fenders and doors, and blends some fender paint and she should be back in business. Possibly done by Sept?

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
So after my purchase of the NC I flushed all of the fluids, replaced a 15 year old coolant tank and have been enjoying it so far. But the clutch bite point is troubling me, it seems lower to the floor than my old NB and I have trouble getting into first when the car is moving at all along with some notchy shifts. I tried adjusting the clutch rod beneath the steering wheel, but eventually screwed it back in some turns and I got the correct amount of free play back. Does the NC Miata has a lower bite point than NA/NBs and some more crunchiness between 2nd and 3rd? I already replaced the transmission fluid with the Ford Motorcraft stuff, but maybe its just my memory playing tricks on me when I think about my old Mazdaspeed NB.

PROLE ART THREAT fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 15, 2023

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Went for a drive this morning to a place called https://caffeineandmachine.com/ at the Houndhill House pub, Loxley, in Warwickshire. I'd heard of it, but never visited - it hosts a lot of club nights and car things. On the 21st of this month, they host MX-5 Europe for an evening. I might pop up if the weather's good.

https://caffeineandmachine.com/whats-on/club-nights/mx-5-europe-club-evening/

Today, the weather was good. I parked up next to a cheeky NA.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd advise getting a ticket if you're thinking about it, they sell out quite quickly if there's any sort of club attached. Actually a lie, the Saab club night is one you don't have to book for and it's both funny and sad that's the case.

I called in last month in mine on a non-club night when a friend was visiting from Dubai, there was a great selection of stuff including a giant old Bentley.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the heads up. Coincidentally I saw a 6-litre in the car park of The Falcon at Hatton last month. Might have been the same one. My dad had Bentleys when I was growing up, so I tend to note them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looked at that pic and heard the awooga echoing around the room

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

looked at that pic and heard the awooga echoing around the room

Thanks - I posted this one years ago, and just found the link, in case you're interested!

He's always been into cars...

OK, back to lurking!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

So after my purchase of the NC I flushed all of the fluids, replaced a 15 year old coolant tank and have been enjoying it so far. But the clutch bite point is troubling me, it seems lower to the floor than my old NB and I have trouble getting into first when the car is moving at all along with some notchy shifts. I tried adjusting the clutch rod beneath the steering wheel, but eventually screwed it back in some turns and I got the correct amount of free play back. Does the NC Miata has a lower bite point than NA/NBs and some more crunchiness between 2nd and 3rd? I already replaced the transmission fluid with the Ford Motorcraft stuff, but maybe its just my memory playing tricks on me when I think about my old Mazdaspeed NB.

I can't compare to NA/NBs (never driven one) but the bite point on my NC has always been pretty low, even new. I'd advise against ever using 1st unless starting from a dead stop, it is really hard to get into after moving, and 2nd is usually fine for slow moving anyway. First gear is kinda weird on my car, I have to shift into 2nd before shifting to 1st when I come to a stop to make sure I can shift into 1st smoothly. 2nd to 3rd crunchiness is usual on mine as well, it's really rough when cold or the transmission fluid is old.
Worse than all that is the 50mph whine from the differential. From 48-55mph, the diff has a whine from the factory not using correct fluid or process on the LSD diffs. It gets better on fresh fluid, but comes back shortly after. I'm mentioning this in case you have an LSD, since I'm talking about all the other low points of my NC. (The paint sucks rear end too, keep it waxed regularly or get ready for clearcoat destruction.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any other ND owners in here that use Android Auto?

I don't know if it's an issue with my phone, or the car, or an app update, but the interface has become very slow and laggy.

Also, when I put an address into Waze, or try to add a new destination, or interact with certain icons, it seems like I can press the infotainment/select button several times without anything happening. The display will show animate showing that it detects me selecting something but nothing happens, or the response is very delayed.

This behavior annoys me, and my wife keeps commenting that "maybe I should buy an Iphone when I get a new phone, because the car at least has wireless Apple Carplay, and perhaps that performs better. Also perhaps by its nature, you're not at the mercy of a bad USB cable or something.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

MetaJew posted:

Any other ND owners in here that use Android Auto?

I don't know if it's an issue with my phone, or the car, or an app update, but the interface has become very slow and laggy.

I use Android Auto in my ND (dealership upgrade, not flashed/cracked) and think the overall system is pretty poor, but haven't had that issue.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

I can't compare to NA/NBs (never driven one) but the bite point on my NC has always been pretty low, even new. I'd advise against ever using 1st unless starting from a dead stop, it is really hard to get into after moving, and 2nd is usually fine for slow moving anyway. First gear is kinda weird on my car, I have to shift into 2nd before shifting to 1st when I come to a stop to make sure I can shift into 1st smoothly. 2nd to 3rd crunchiness is usual on mine as well, it's really rough when cold or the transmission fluid is old.
Worse than all that is the 50mph whine from the differential. From 48-55mph, the diff has a whine from the factory not using correct fluid or process on the LSD diffs. It gets better on fresh fluid, but comes back shortly after. I'm mentioning this in case you have an LSD, since I'm talking about all the other low points of my NC. (The paint sucks rear end too, keep it waxed regularly or get ready for clearcoat destruction.)

Thanks very much, I've got some nasty stuff near the master cylinder by the clutch pedal, it definitely has had a leak in the past so I'll be replacing the master/slave cylinders soon and bleeding the system again. I've also checked the pedal and thankfully there doesn't seem to be any cracking on the assembly where it attaches to the firewall.

I don't have an LSD sadly, but hope to swap one in at some point.

And I've learned that lesson about clearcoat already. The car had been sitting in the sun when I bought it, and I've already witnessed further degradation in the few weeks that I've had it. I plan to polish it, clay bar and put a coat of wax on it soon but just have to rely on ONR stuff now while I'm street parking it as I live in an apartment in a city without a garage. I plan to take it to a body shop to get it addressed as soon as I have a garage to park it in.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My friend his selling his 30AE

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdOLb1zy/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-30th-anniversary-edition

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Roof is at the dealership. We're finding a timeslot for that R&R now, then I kick it over to the shop proper for PDR, paint and miscellany

This is such a drawn out pain in the rear end. I'm moving to a place with a garage or carport.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going with my girlfriend to the auto shop today and I saw a red NC on the used car lot across the street. Paint was OK, top was trash; they said it was six thousand eight hundred. drat, nice price. I get the carfax, they say it's been on the lot since January.

Get home, go look the car up online, and I misheard, it's sixteen thousand. Ugh. Unfortunately I really feel like I'm ready to pull the trigger.

What are the cheapest Miata's? Are NAs so old they're wrapping around to costing more? I thought an NC would be in that sweet spot of being a very old used car but not so old that clean examples are getting rare and driving the price up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I bought a one-owner 68k mile completely stock NA that needed nothing done for $3800 but that was a few years ago and prices are pretty much just going up at this point and a lot of older cars in this bracket have been heavily molested by now, however that seems like a lot for a car that's not in ideal condition (and doesn't have pop-up headlights).

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was going with my girlfriend to the auto shop today and I saw a red NC on the used car lot across the street. Paint was OK, top was trash; they said it was six thousand eight hundred. drat, nice price. I get the carfax, they say it's been on the lot since January.

Get home, go look the car up online, and I misheard, it's sixteen thousand. Ugh. Unfortunately I really feel like I'm ready to pull the trigger.

What are the cheapest Miata's? Are NAs so old they're wrapping around to costing more? I thought an NC would be in that sweet spot of being a very old used car but not so old that clean examples are getting rare and driving the price up.

That's too much for an NC for sure. But yeah, NA and even NB1 are going up lately from what I've seen.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I sold my 220k mile NA with some rough bumpers for $6500 a month ago, so not particularly cheap.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
I was looking for an NC Miata for a couple years while used car prices were inflated and hoping to find one for about 10-12k, which they were before 2020. The prices are still higher than that, but not as bad as 2021. Last month I got a 2008 GT PRHT for a little more than my price range and about 1k higher than Blue Book, but after that time the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

For an NC2/NC3 in good to great condition I think you are looking at 14-20k, not too much less than an ND1, depending on trim and mileage. I am in an area where the costs are a bit higher than average and the cars can be driven in fine weather all year, though.

For that price I wouldn’t buy a car with any issues, a better one will come along for 16k, I’m sure of it. An NA in decent shape will cost at least 10k where I am. Miata’s are not the crazy deal that they once were, I bought my MSM for just over 5000 in 2017.

PROLE ART THREAT fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 29, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hey y’all. Got a question. I just ordered an OEM hardtop for my NC from the dealer, but I can’t seem to find any info on what it’s made of. Metal? Fiberglass? I know the NA/NB tops are fiberglass but I can’t seem to find info on the NC top.

Also as a point of reference for above, I just bought my 07 NC for $8k. Good paint, no rust, new clutch and flywheel, top is 99% (tiny wear spot on pass. side) and has Bilstein B14 suspension, GWR exhaust, Fab9 tune, and Avid1 wheels (meh). I bought Enkei wheels with RT660 tires for autox use. $16k seems outrageous.

With the Avid1 wheels

With the Enkeis

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 30, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I sold my 220k mile NA with some rough bumpers for $6500 a month ago, so not particularly cheap.

Sigh, my biggest regret is selling my 94 with like 140k on the clock to my room mate 5 years ago for $1800 because I was short on cash. He did a bunch of bad mods and ruined it shortly after.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm now eligible for a fully paid for company car so I will probably be selling my ND in the near future and I fear what a future owner will do :ohdear:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm now eligible for a fully paid for company car so I will probably be selling my ND in the near future and I fear what a future owner will do :ohdear:

hear me out.

You can be the future owner you worry about

get your company to get you a company ND, then turn you ND into an Autox/track car.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

no lube so what posted:

hear me out.

You can be the future owner you worry about

get your company to get you a company ND, then turn you ND into an Autox/track car.

Unfortunately the way the program works is they get to choose the car so I'll probably get a big rear end truck or something. But it's all free. Gas, car, maintenance, even car washes. So it's a hard deal to pass up even though the Miata is the most perfect automobile ever created.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Unfortunately the way the program works is they get to choose the car so I'll probably get a big rear end truck or something. But it's all free. Gas, car, maintenance, even car washes. So it's a hard deal to pass up even though the Miata is the most perfect automobile ever created.

Sounds like you should just keep the Miata, OP.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

MetaJew posted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Think how much better a lightweight fun car is going to feel compared to that lardy shitbox you're going to be dailying. The contrast is going to make the Mazda feel even better.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Even a good big car will be made more enjoyable by contrast with a Miata.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Russian Bear posted:

Sigh, my biggest regret is selling my 94 with like 140k on the clock to my room mate 5 years ago for $1800 because I was short on cash. He did a bunch of bad mods and ruined it shortly after.

Fwiw mine was pretty stock besides like super minor things, FM small reinforcement bits and shift knob.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and if you change your mind, the way this idiot poo poo world is going, you just might end up crawling back to the buyer and buying your own dang ND back with 30k more miles for $4000 more in a few years.

keeeep KEEEEP

---

In my adventures in hail damage land, the car should be out of the dealership with a new roof tomorrow. Maybe Friday. One cool thing is that when the service manager hopped in to move it to their bay, i got the unique experience of finally being outside the car while it's doing more than idling. Holy poo poo the exhaust sounds so loving good. i love my car

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MetaJew posted:

This.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm certainly never going to sell a car again, the ones I buy now are keepers/put into the 'restore when I have garage space' category or I don't bother purchasing them. Given how prices for 'moderately' collectible fun cars are going, the Miata definitely falls well into that range.

The flipping Alfa 8C which was a huge "meh but we like the concept of a small/light car, just execute it better" - at release is going for 4x what it cost new!!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

4C or 8C? I didn’t think people really thought of the 8C as small and light? (Also the 4C should have offered a stick)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ahh, you're right. I mixed the two together, it's the 4C I'm thinking of and I don't think it doubled in price like the 8C did (despite still being pretty meh in performance for what it is.)

Point still stands - everyone who wanted a fun early 90's fun RWD Japanese/European car from that lightweight era (and the spiritual followers) now are people with 40 year old person money, so these kind of cars are just getting snapped up for increasingly higher prices and I don't see that ever reversing at this point.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

Not empty quoting.

This is how the company cars work here too, you get to choose out of a bunch of VWs, Skoda or anemic BMWs limited by co2 emissions to basically base diesel models. No reason nor to keep your cool car unless you can't park teo cars or something.