Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I tried every Google search term I could think of, and found nothing. Now I'm no Google Expert, but I'd be willing to bet real money that if anything like that did happen at all, it was at a few random schools, or less, not some widespread thing.

Edit: And just to add, I was 16 when 9/11 went down, so I remember those years in school fairly well and for sure nothing like that happened in my high school. I was in JROTC, and you'd think if anyone got on the "GO MILITARY, HOO RAH" train it'd have been them, and still nothing.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
doing call of duty advanced warfare wallruns in gym class

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe their gym coach got told to do a military theme but couldnt be assed to set anything up so they just made them play dodgeball but called it 'war' and called the dodgeballs grenades

Orv
May 4, 2011
That sounds like one of those things we get where someone in some tiny US school district has an extremely absurd or morally insane idea that somehow doesn’t get checked before it lands on the local news site. “School mandated Krav Maga for teachers” kind of stuff. Usually they tend to finally get stopped at that point. Sometimes though you get Florida.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

VostokProgram posted:

what the gently caress? i do not remember this in the post-9/11 hysteria

Neither do I, but I was 23 when 9/11 hit. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that some school systems went that nuts, though.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You can sit and complain about the problem or you can take the lead in fixing the problem. One of these things is more effective than the other. :shrug:

You know how these AAA companies work. If you can prove there's an untapped market for them to milk money from you'll be drowning in that type of game in no time at all. Remember when everything was taking a turn for the PUBG for a while there?

On the one hand, you aren't wrong. If you're a creator, you might be better off making and supporting the sort of work you want to see than you are shouting at mainstream media to make changes. There have never been more tools for creation and self-publishing than there are right now, although it also follows that it's more work than ever before to actually break through to your audience. It's not impossible, though.

On the other, the critical reaction to and analysis of these monoliths is part of necessary, healthy cultural conversation. There's useful discussion to be had in pointing out where and how they fail, particularly in work that's specifically meant to be reflective of a particular place and time. While criticism is too often used to tear things down, it's meant to be a tool to help build better things. That's part of how a culture grows.

It's also impossible to shake the notion that when you tell someone to go make their own work rather than criticizing someone else's, what you're implicitly saying is "shut up and go away." There is effectively zero practical chance that a brand-new piece of original work from a new creator will ever have a fraction of the cultural impact of a modern AAA game, blockbuster film, or well-marketed mainstream TV show. That was a dubious proposition in the '00s and '10s, let alone now, when a solid 75% or more of pop culture is cynically extractive exploitation of decades-old intellectual properties.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Wanderer posted:

On the one hand, you aren't wrong. If you're a creator, you might be better off making and supporting the sort of work you want to see than you are shouting at mainstream media to make changes. There have never been more tools for creation and self-publishing than there are right now, although it also follows that it's more work than ever before to actually break through to your audience. It's not impossible, though.

On the other, the critical reaction to and analysis of these monoliths is part of necessary, healthy cultural conversation. There's useful discussion to be had in pointing out where and how they fail, particularly in work that's specifically meant to be reflective of a particular place and time. While criticism is too often used to tear things down, it's meant to be a tool to help build better things. That's part of how a culture grows.

It's also impossible to shake the notion that when you tell someone to go make their own work rather than criticizing someone else's, what you're implicitly saying is "shut up and go away." There is effectively zero practical chance that a brand-new piece of original work from a new creator will ever have a fraction of the cultural impact of a modern AAA game, blockbuster film, or well-marketed mainstream TV show. That was a dubious proposition in the '00s and '10s, let alone now, when a solid 75% or more of pop culture is cynically extractive exploitation of decades-old intellectual properties.

I suppose my contention is that if there's supposed to be a criminally underserved audience out there, crying out for any representation at all, that it shouldn't actually be all that hard to find success in appealing to them. New demographics are generally gold mines if you can successfully loop them in. And I'd consider it more financially viable to do this with a new IP and new creation than pivoting on an existing one, which is why I favour the indie/small creator route -- not to say AAA devs shouldn't take chances (god knows they need to take more chances!) but that trying to switch gears on an established property is always a big risk -- in grasping from a new audience you do risk losing the old one entirely.

I absolutely agree that good criticism has its place, but I think a lot (like, a lot a lot) of modern criticism has sort of lost sight of its reason for existing. It feels like a lot of critics feel their job is explicitly to poo poo on things, and that the snarkier and more brutal your takedowns of things are, the better a critic you are. I suspect social media and the click economy is to blame for a lot of this, as well as people trying unsuccessfully to imitate people like Yahtzee Zero Punctuation, or outside of gaming, people like Gordon Ramsay or Simon Cowell, because any big success inspires imitation, but the end result is that a ton of critics are mostly net-negative as far as I can tell. Lots are entertainers first and foremost, and thoughtful essayists second, if at all.

I suppose my view is more cynical in that I don't think those culturally monolithic AAA developers will be shaken by anything that isn't going to lead them to more money. Further, as time goes on, I think AAA gaming is falling further and further in people's minds, and I honestly don't think those titans have quite the cultural cachet they once did. Blizzard used to be the kings of gamers and now their name is actual dogwater. Bioware used to be the golden child, and now they're treated extremely warily. We have far more breakout indie hits every year than the year before, at least that's how it seems to my eye. I reckon if you want to make a significant cultural change, you have to recognise these changes in the wind and sail with them as an early adopter. Even if it means making something one might call streamer bait.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I suppose my view is more cynical in that I don't think those culturally monolithic AAA developers will be shaken by anything that isn't going to lead them to more money. Further, as time goes on, I think AAA gaming is falling further and further in people's minds, and I honestly don't think those titans have quite the cultural cachet they once did. Blizzard used to be the kings of gamers and now their name is actual dogwater. Bioware used to be the golden child, and now they're treated extremely warily. We have far more breakout indie hits every year than the year before, at least that's how it seems to my eye. I reckon if you want to make a significant cultural change, you have to recognise these changes in the wind and sail with them as an early adopter. Even if it means making something one might call streamer bait.

The point of difference here is that, at least for now, AAA developers and creators aren't that "culturally monolithic." They're people who were hired to do a job, and often, they're given a substantial amount of creative leeway in how that job gets done. Not every AAA studio in 2023 is 2004 EA.

You can write off their attempts at representation as "rainbow capitalism," which fits more often than not. Overwatch in particular seems to treat the reveal of a new LGBTQ+ playable character as a get-out-of-jail-free card; Wizards of the Coast puts a lot of racial diversity and LGBTQ+ representation into new sourcebooks, but never quite seems to grasp that that's rarely the actual issue anyone has with them.

It's cynical and marketing-driven, but it's more than anyone was doing as recently as 10 years ago. The culture has shifted, because the people who are actually doing this kind of work typically aren't chuds. If you tell them how they're loving up, they'll try to stop doing that.

As for your point about the indie breakouts, this is one of those issues where enthusiasts can't see the forest for the trees. I always get some pushback whenever I bring this up, but for approximately 90% of the global video game market, they're statistically either on mobile or playing an AAA console game. You can make money and an impact as an indie developer, but not even the biggest indie hits of the year will have a fraction of the impact of a middle-range AAA game.

Against that backdrop, telling someone to break out ahead of the pack and make a difference by making their own indie game, especially if their concerns aren't mechanical, is like telling someone to change the NFL by playing backyard touch football. The issue is scale.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Narsham posted:

You joke, but if it weren't for all those puzzle games, almost every game in my Steam library (and I have a lot) would feature killing of some sort. Even Strange Horticulture gives you the option of killing people. Portal involves destroying turrets (which may be sentient). Undertale is almost eight years old! Why am I satisfied with such an impoverished subset of stories in my computer games, and where are the great games that give me better options? Is it because I grew up on games designed by men who were either toxic or following in toxic men's footsteps that I'm stuck with such a limited scope? What do I need to improve in myself, or is it OK that so much of my fun is steeped in fictional death?

I just think it’s really weird that they took a game where you shot dinosaurs with twin pistols are turned it into a series about headshotting hundreds of mercenaries with a bow and smashing dudes with a climbing axe, and then literally wading through a river of blood to get to the final boss. I suppose it could be a metaphor for modern gaming.

I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot, but it had a serious cognitive dissonance problem and went way too hard at being an Uncharted knockoff. It’d be kind of nice if they toned back the murder, honestly.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Wanderer posted:

You can write off their attempts at representation as "rainbow capitalism," which fits more often than not. Overwatch in particular seems to treat the reveal of a new LGBTQ+ playable character as a get-out-of-jail-free card; Wizards of the Coast puts a lot of racial diversity and LGBTQ+ representation into new sourcebooks, but never quite seems to grasp that that's rarely the actual issue anyone has with them.
One of the awkward things about discussing representation in media is that people tend to conflate two different forms of representation: the kind where a character just happens to be <marginalized group>, and the kind where the story is about some aspect of the <marginalized group> experience. I don't know, Gone Home or something.

People complain that the former is tokenism: that Blizzard is trying to get some cheap Good Company Points by just kinda saying "Tracer has a girlfriend" but not really doing anything with it aside from some out-of-game media that could pretty easily just gender-swap her partner. But if every instance of a <marginalized group> character turns into a Very Special Episode about the trials and tribulations of being <marginalized group> then it insinuates that these traits aren't normal because you can't just tell normal stories about these characters.

So the Tracer type serves a purpose: it reinforces the idea that these characters are normal. (This is why conservatives still throw a shitfit about their existence.) The Gone Home type also serves a purpose: it tells stories that you can't tell without those character traits. Both are necessary. The former is somewhat easier to write, and somewhat easier for a risk-averse AAA company to commit to, but it's not inherently bad to have such characters.

Cutedge posted:

I just think it’s really weird that they took a game where you shot dinosaurs with twin pistols are turned it into a series about headshotting hundreds of mercenaries with a bow and smashing dudes with a climbing axe, and then literally wading through a river of blood to get to the final boss. I suppose it could be a metaphor for modern gaming.

I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot, but it had a serious cognitive dissonance problem and went way too hard at being an Uncharted knockoff. It’d be kind of nice if they toned back the murder, honestly.
It's kind of a jarring bit of ludonarrative dissonance: she has a mental breakdown over the first person she kills in the first reboot, and then you get the bow and just headshot everyone forever and it's never spoken of again. The second and third games at least kinda dispense with that angle in favor of everyone just calling Lara a loose cannon.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Incoherence posted:

People complain that the former is tokenism: that Blizzard is trying to get some cheap Good Company Points by just kinda saying "Tracer has a girlfriend" but not really doing anything with it aside from some out-of-game media that could pretty easily just gender-swap her partner. But if every instance of a <marginalized group> character turns into a Very Special Episode about the trials and tribulations of being <marginalized group> then it insinuates that these traits aren't normal because you can't just tell normal stories about these characters.

It would be more believable if they'd stop doing it directly after making an unpopular announcement.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Incoherence posted:

One of the awkward things about discussing representation in media is that people tend to conflate two different forms of representation: the kind where a character just happens to be <marginalized group>, and the kind where the story is about some aspect of the <marginalized group> experience. I don't know, Gone Home or something.

So the Tracer type serves a purpose: it reinforces the idea that these characters are normal. (This is why conservatives still throw a shitfit about their existence.) The Gone Home type also serves a purpose: it tells stories that you can't tell without those character traits. Both are necessary. The former is somewhat easier to write, and somewhat easier for a risk-averse AAA company to commit to, but it's not inherently bad to have such characters.

It depends on how you present it I feel. It feels cheap and pandering when you put it in some supplemental material while not mentioning it before in the game proper, like with Tracer where it was revealed she was a lesbian after what... a year or 2? and in a comic book. Or just randomly tweeting out that Dumbledore is gay. Versus something like Arcade in New Vegas who mentions his homosexuality casually in the game and his story isn't about his homosexuality. To me the latter feels a lot more genuine and less like a marketing trick than the former.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 13, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Or you could just make their boyfriend/girlfriend an actual character in the story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Incoherence posted:

That's an interesting point, and one that I hadn't considered. I guess I'd been thinking more of it in terms of, as was just mentioned, the move that you might as well call the Dumbledore, but you're right.

Incoherence posted:

It's kind of a jarring bit of ludonarrative dissonance: she has a mental breakdown over the first person she kills in the first reboot, and then you get the bow and just headshot everyone forever and it's never spoken of again. The second and third games at least kinda dispense with that angle in favor of everyone just calling Lara a loose cannon.

It struck me as an attempt to take Lara the larger-than-life pulp action hero and dial her back to a more human level, but then they made the slightly baffling decision to keep a level of violence that suited that pulp action hero.

I suppose you could give them another level of credit for making the next two games essentially about the level of psychological damage that Lara's naturally incurred, but in retrospect it might've been smarter to simply dial back the violence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Incoherence posted:

i think the disconnect here is that you think theyre saying 'its bad that tracer has a girlfriend and its handled poorly,' but how im reading it is 'blizzard doesnt deserve 5000 articles and tons of praise for giving tracer 3 lines about her offscreen girlfriend, and they dont deserve to be able to market it like theyre moving mountains'

like sure, tracer having a girlfriend is cool, but i dont think it really means anything beyond vaguely signaling to the audience that blizz doesnt hate gay people. its fine, even good, that its there, but the way it gets way more press than stuff thats actually about gay people sucks.

and also i think there's a middle ground between 3 lines about her offscreen girlfriend and a Very Special Episode. its kind of troubling that you immediately leaped to the idea that anything that is actually about this has to be that, and if it includes any mention of troubles a gay couple might face then it isn't a 'normal story.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 13, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as a random example kotaku ran an article condemning celeste for not 'committing to its trans character' because the game's ending CG had the character's medication and trans pride flag visible but didnt say 'hello this character is trans.' celeste had multiple trans devs.

and then that same game journo turned around and praised the D&D podcast The Adventure Zone because the four cis guys on it had one trans NPC, who was one of them putting on a falsetto and introducing herself in a sentence that included both the fact that she was trans and her dead name. she was onscreen for 15 minutes of a single 2 hour episode and then never mentioned again.

thats the kind of thing i mean when i critique this stuff, stuff thats trying to win lame good boy points is put ahead of stuff thats just there because its there. like blizz gets to put out 500 press junkets performing autofellatio on themselves every time they say a random overwatch character is gay in their 3 paragraph bio, but stuff that actually has like, some amount of content dedicated to the characters being gay and exploring that, and is also mainstream even if it isn't as popular or big gets literally zero mention.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Tracer's girlfriend was very early in Overwatch's lifespan when people were very high on the game and still hopeful that they might do something with it. By the time you got to Soldier 76 is Gay the game had been mismanaged for years and it was clear nothing was going anywhere, so people became a lot more cynical.

Endorph posted:

as a random example kotaku ran an article condemning celeste for not 'committing to its trans character' because the game's ending CG had the character's medication and trans pride flag visible but didnt say 'hello this character is trans.' celeste had multiple trans devs.

It wasn't just kotaku article writers who did that, I remember the article the Celeste dev wrote where they "confirmed" the trans themes of the story and while they obviously did not approve of the bigots who just hated the idea of Madeline being trans, they actually seemed very disappointed in the trans audience as well. Even though the trans subtext was so obvious that everyone noticed it before it was spelled out, a lot of people couldn't accept a trans story, they had to say it didn't count because it wasn't trans "enough".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Tracer's girlfriend was very early in Overwatch's lifespan when people were very high on the game and still hopeful that they might do something with it. By the time you got to Soldier 76 is Gay the game had been mismanaged for years and it was clear nothing was going anywhere, so people became a lot more cynical.
i mean even these days blizz still gets press about it whenever they say whoever is gay, lol. not as much but still

mycot posted:

It wasn't just kotaku article writers who did that, I remember the article the Celeste dev wrote where they "confirmed" the trans themes of the story and while they obviously did not approve of the bigots who just hated the idea of Madeline being trans, they actually seemed very disappointed in the trans audience as well. Even though the trans subtext was so obvious that everyone noticed it before it was spelled out, a lot of people couldn't accept a trans story, they had to say it didn't count because it wasn't trans "enough".
it rules that everything has to be spelled out even when its blindingly obvious so people can 'win' arguments against bigots, and then those same bigots continue being bigots anyway. look at bridget in guilty gear, you still have people denying it even though the devs came out and said she's trans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game where you fight your doppelganger in a mirror while the reflection calls you an ugly person has themes of body dysmorphia hidden within it? I might need a 20-30 minute youtube video explaining how that could be the case before I'm willing to believe it. And no I won't watch it *spits on your shoes too*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://maddythorson.medium.com/is-madeline-canonically-trans-4277ece02e40

This is the article, btw, it's still a good read.

quote:

But, of course, Madeline is a fictional character and we are her authors. People have rightly pointed out that there are questions we should consider about what harm we might be doing by “hiding” her identity. But we also considered what harm we would be doing by signaling to players that they are entitled to know whether she is trans, and that it is a vitally important detail worth agonizing over. Trans people shouldn’t be forced to publicly identify as trans in a world that is often hostile to them, and they shouldn’t be reduced to their transness. They should be allowed to live their lives how they want, and everyone should be free to explore their gender identity without feeling pressure to place themselves into simplistic categories for the benefit of others.

We definitely didn’t want it to be a big climactic thing. We didn’t want it to be like Samus removing her helmet at the end of Metroid to reveal that — surprise! — you were a trans woman all along. That kind of thing just feels like a cheap gimmick in this context. It doesn’t feel like it pays enough respect to Madeline, her story, or real life trans folks and the scrutiny they endure.

quote:

Of course, we underestimated how much anything less than a full, in-writing confirmation will be endlessly debated as “not enough proof,” to which I ask, where’s the proof that she’s cis?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

mycot posted:

The Celeste thing reads to me like the subtext was obvious to everyone except Maddy herself up until the point where Maddy realized she was a closeted trans woman. The game already portrays Madeline's struggles with depression and anxiety as allegorical to the player's journey through a hard game, so extending the allegory to cover gender identity feels relatively natural.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Shut up and make your own media was one of the major rhetorics from GG, for this exact reason. But criticism is a valid form of art in it's own right, and the major cultural influencers in our own society absolutely should be subjected to criticism through a wide variety of lenses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Shut up and make your own media was one of the major rhetorics from GG, for this exact reason. But criticism is a valid form of art in it's own right, and the major cultural influencers in our own society absolutely should be subjected to criticism through a wide variety of lenses.
they arent saying 'shut up and dont criticize anything!!!' theyre saying 'stop expecting aaa mainstream games to perfectly represent every nuance of the queer experience, and stop giving them praise like they are when they do the absolute bare minimum'

aaaaaaaaa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'itd be cool if more gay people made indie art'
'heh, nice gamergate catchpharse'

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shastahanshah posted:

Things kind of got into a weird space they never quite left where a woman can't be cool AND attractive.

Quoting myself might be gauche and this might actually be kind of preaching to the choir, but...

Thinking about it, I feel like that sentiment always gets framed in the "oh the feminists don't want cool women to be hot" way but I've never really seen it in the "so many people, especially but not exclusively straight guys, don't let hot women be cool" way.

I wonder if it's a catch-22 where people are primed to see women through the lens of how attractive they are first, or something else. It's something that comes up a lot with characters like Bayonetta, or 2B. I catch myself doing that sometimes for women, but not really for men (as someone who is into both) so I assume it's a learned cultural thing. I wonder if there's anything people can do on the creative side to encourage people to think about that, or if it's just something that's going to depend on how culture as a whole sees women and needs to be chalked up as part of creators not being able to control people's reactions to stuff.

Assepoester posted:

See this is the sort of thing that feminism actually talks about but it turns out that anywhere you have people mentioning how surface-level Feminist Frequency's analysis is, people aren't actually ready to engage with anything beyond the surface level criticism anyway.

I think even if she didn't go into detail on stuff and wanted to specifically be kind of a 101 level about it, she should've at least acknowledged there was more to some of this stuff (granted I only watched one or two episodes before deciding it wasn't really a series for me).

Engaging with deeper level stuff is kinda going to be a time and place thing, though. I'm not sure that the funny let's play forum is the best place to throw down about Andrea Dworkin's opinions on pornography, if for no reason other than I can only think of one game that discusses her brand of radical feminism lol.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Endorph posted:

they arent saying 'shut up and dont criticize anything!!!' theyre saying 'stop expecting aaa mainstream games to perfectly represent every nuance of the queer experience, and stop giving them praise like they are when they do the absolute bare minimum'

aaaaaaaaa

What's "funny" (heavy quote) is when people actually make these kind of games and they get any success, the same people who were saying that "they should make their own games" lose their loving mind and start calling everything that moves a "groomer".

I know because I lost a lot of friend to the GG to PizzaGate to Qanon or MAGA pipeline, it's unfair.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 13, 2023

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mycot posted:

I mean, sadly, the trans community as a whole isn’t really much smarter than the general public. And no less racist…:sigh:

I mean, the only way Celeste could be more obvious is if it repeatedly said “This is trans” in-text, which naturally would sacrifice a lot of its authenticity.

But anyway, relating to the topic, when even obvious metaphors sail over people’s heads, you can’t dive right into in-depth discussion of intersectionality or double-binds or whatever, you have to start with the most basic possible principles of feminism, like “everyone who isn’t a cishet man is also a person” and “things have subtext”.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

i think the disconnect here is that you think theyre saying 'its bad that tracer has a girlfriend and its handled poorly,' but how im reading it is 'blizzard doesnt deserve 5000 articles and tons of praise for giving tracer 3 lines about her offscreen girlfriend, and they dont deserve to be able to market it like theyre moving mountains'

like sure, tracer having a girlfriend is cool, but i dont think it really means anything beyond vaguely signaling to the audience that blizz doesnt hate gay people. its fine, even good, that its there, but the way it gets way more press than stuff thats actually about gay people sucks.

and also i think there's a middle ground between 3 lines about her offscreen girlfriend and a Very Special Episode. its kind of troubling that you immediately leaped to the idea that anything that is actually about this has to be that, and if it includes any mention of troubles a gay couple might face then it isn't a 'normal story.'

It genuinely bums me out how people gleefully ignore anything that's not AAA slop and think that the only path forward is to have the next Halo have a Grunt who's nonbinary or w/e.

Like, the janky C list JRPG Caligula Effect 2 had more to say about the trans experience than Tell Me Why, but guess which one had a billion articles jacking it off as the most progressive thing ever lol.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 13, 2023

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
"Representation" is stupid tier on par with "gamers only want to play white dudes". I've played any number of races, sexes, and species over the years in video games, and never once have I been "represented" by them. Everyone's life experience is unique, and a fiction in a video game is not going to impart magical empathy on people who lack it. Especially when you have ham-fisted poo poo like ME Andromeda's "HELLO I AM TRANS LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY TRANSNESS PERSON I JUST MET". Just... no. A better, more achievable message that fiction can impart is that a different person is still a person and is going through life the same as everyone else. The new Star Trek movies did that well with Sulu; dude got off the ship, you see him go over to his husband and kid, they walk off together. Boom, done. He didn't monologue for five minutes about loving dick, his romantic preferences were treated as an everyday thing and didn't have an impact on his professional life. A piece of entertainment is not suitable for teaching a person about the intricacies of another person's life, unless that's its sole focus. But treating different people as common and not sideshow freaks, that is achievable. As long as you don't have them run up to the character and blab for thirty seconds about how their daddy kicked them out of the house after finding their furry porn and bad dragon stash, because that is not what normal people do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valatar posted:

"Representation" is stupid tier on par with "gamers only want to play white dudes". I've played any number of races, sexes, and species over the years in video games, and never once have I been "represented" by them. Everyone's life experience is unique, and a fiction in a video game is not going to impart magical empathy on people who lack it. Especially when you have ham-fisted poo poo like ME Andromeda's "HELLO I AM TRANS LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY TRANSNESS PERSON I JUST MET". Just... no. A better, more achievable message that fiction can impart is that a different person is still a person and is going through life the same as everyone else. The new Star Trek movies did that well with Sulu; dude got off the ship, you see him go over to his husband and kid, they walk off together. Boom, done. He didn't monologue for five minutes about loving dick, his romantic preferences were treated as an everyday thing and didn't have an impact on his professional life. A piece of entertainment is not suitable for teaching a person about the intricacies of another person's life, unless that's its sole focus. But treating different people as common and not sideshow freaks, that is achievable. As long as you don't have them run up to the character and blab for thirty seconds about how their daddy kicked them out of the house after finding their furry porn and bad dragon stash, because that is not what normal people do.
you get really mixed messages with this stuff where people want one thing to both 'speak to their experiences' and 'act as a PSA to people outside the group' when those things cannot really be accomplished by the same thing

itd be fine for sulu's romantic preferences to not be treated as an everyday thing and for it to have an impact on his professional life if the movies were actually going to dedicate time to those things, for instance, but that's both a bit beyond the scope of a side character in a star trek movie and might require it to make choices thatd impart specificity on it, which means itd work less well for a broad audience, which is also pretty unlikely in a big star trek movie

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i think it's a bit of a miss to suggest that capitalistic market forces are simply yielding to the market desires for representation when market desires are by themselves one of the most obfuscated and manipulated aspects of a capitalistic society. liking things is not really an organic hollistic internal thing.

there's a reason tracer's gayness got a million articles, and nobody played we know the devil & heaven will be mine and it isn't because people actually don't care about rep.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Valatar posted:

"Representation" is stupid tier on par with "gamers only want to play white dudes". I've played any number of races, sexes, and species over the years in video games, and never once have I been "represented" by them. Everyone's life experience is unique, and a fiction in a video game is not going to impart magical empathy on people who lack it. Especially when you have ham-fisted poo poo like ME Andromeda's "HELLO I AM TRANS LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY TRANSNESS PERSON I JUST MET".
This might be more indicative on the quality of the Andromeda writing but which of the characters were trans?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

This might be more indicative on the quality of the Andromeda writing but which of the characters were trans?
nobody who mattered

there was a random NPC on the citadel equivalent who had 2 lines of dialog which were BOY, I SURE AM GLAD TO BE HERE ON THE CITADEL, AND TRANS. MY OLD NAME WAS JEFFREY. those were her only lines of the dialog.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

nobody who mattered

there was a random NPC on the citadel equivalent who had 2 lines of dialog which were BOY, I SURE AM GLAD TO BE HERE ON THE CITADEL, AND TRANS. MY OLD NAME WAS JEFFREY. those were her only lines of the dialog.

lmfao

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

there was an LA Times article recently about how the movie Oppenheimer portrayed the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or rather, how it didn't. the full article is worth a read, and it shouldn't be paywalled unless you regularly visit the site, but the money quote is near the end (edited slightly for brevity):

quote:

Some would rebut that “Oppenheimer,” being a Hollywood blockbuster with serious global reach (whether it will play Japanese theaters remains uncertain), will be many audiences’ only exposure to the events in question and thus might “create a limit on public consciousness and concern,” as the poet, writer and professor Brandon Shimoda told The Times. ...

I get those complaints. I also think they betray an inherent disrespect for the audience’s intelligence and curiosity, as well as a fundamental misunderstanding of how movies operate. It’s telling that few of these criticisms of perspective were leveled at “American Prometheus” when it was published in 2005, that no one begrudged Bird and Sherwin for offering a meticulously researched, morally ambivalent portrait of their subject’s life and consigning the destruction of two Japanese cities to a few pages. That’s because books are books, the argument goes, and movies are movies — and this perceived difference, it must be said, reveals a pernicious double standard.

Because they seldom achieve the narrative penetration and richness of detail of, say, a 700-page biography, movies, especially those about history, often are hailed as achievements of breadth over depth, emotion over intellect. They are assumed to be fundamentally shallow experiences, distillations of real life rather than sharply angled explorations of it, propelled by broad brushstrokes and easy expository shortcuts, and beholden to the audience’s presumably voracious appetite for thrilling, traumatizing spectacle. And because movies offer a visual immediacy and narrative immersion that books don’t, they are expected to be sweeping if not omniscient in their narrative scope, to reach for a comprehensive, even definitive vantage.

Movies that attempt something different, that recognize that less can indeed be more, are thus easily taken to task. “It’s so subjective!” and “It omits a crucial P.O.V.!” are assumed to be substantive criticisms rather than essentially value-neutral statements. We are sometimes told, in matters of art and storytelling, that depiction is not endorsement; we are not reminded nearly as often that omission is not erasure. But because viewers of course cannot be trusted to know any history or muster any empathy on their own — and if anything unites those who criticize “Oppenheimer” on representational grounds, it’s their reflexive assumption of the audience’s stupidity — anything that isn’t explicitly shown onscreen is denigrated as a dodge or an oversight, rather than a carefully considered decision.

in other words, the argument over oppenheimer not explicitly showing footage of the dropping of a-bombs on japan stems from a paranoia on part of the critic that other people won't be able to put two and two together and realize that hey, that was a really horrible chapter of human history. it's a paranoia that unless cillian murphy turns directly to the camera and says "bombing hiroshima and nagasaki was wrong", unless the movie bends over backwards to talk about how much this completely sucked, then anything less than that is de facto an omission because you can't depend on the audience using their brains and coming to their own conclusions. and it's Very Very Important that we beat it into people's heads that bombing japan was bad and we all have a responsibility to be as tediously didactic as it takes to make sure everyone knows it

it's pretty apparent how much this parallels maddy thorson's article about how she and the rest of her team wrote celeste: a bunch of people got mad that Madeline never turns directly to the camera as the pink-white-and-blue flutters in the breeze behind her while she says Trans Rights Are Human Rights, and that anything less than that is being complicit in burying the existence of trans characters in media and trans people in real life, because if it's not clubbed over peoples' heads then how can they be expected to figure this poo poo out? for themselves?? with their brains????

it's a very pessimistic and nihilistic mindset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i get what that article is saying but i think its giving some of the complaints both less and more credit than they deserve. the 'other people are too stupid to get it without having it explained to them' thing is there, but what a lot of people are really looking for is to have their own opinions and views repeated back to them as explicitly as possible for the sake of validation.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Endorph posted:

i get what that article is saying but i think its giving some of the complaints both less and more credit than they deserve. the 'other people are too stupid to get it without having it explained to them' thing is there, but what a lot of people are really looking for is to have their own opinions and views repeated back to them as explicitly as possible for the sake of validation.

i feel like this might actually be two sides of the same coin. after all, one of the best ways to have your opinions and beliefs validated is if lots and lots of other people also share those opinions and beliefs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
IMO it's a miracle that a modern Christopher Nolan film is relatively subtle and implicative. The lack of a Nolan Exposition Character is the first in a long time (maybe ever); that trope is one reason I didn't enjoy the ending to Dunkirk (outside of Tom Hardy's final scene)

But I digress; this is off-topic (and I fully contributed)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

isk posted:

IMO it's a miracle that a modern Christopher Nolan film is relatively subtle and implicative. The lack of a Nolan Exposition Character is the first in a long time (maybe ever); that trope is one reason I didn't enjoy the ending to Dunkirk (outside of Tom Hardy's final scene)

But I digress; this is off-topic (and I fully contributed)

there was a Nolan Exposition Character lol who do you think RDJ and RDJ's..assistant? bestie? was meant to be?

EightFlyingCars posted:

there was an LA Times article recently about how the movie Oppenheimer portrayed the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or rather, how it didn't. the full article is worth a read, and it shouldn't be paywalled unless you regularly visit the site, but the money quote is near the end (edited slightly for brevity):

in other words, the argument over oppenheimer not explicitly showing footage of the dropping of a-bombs on japan stems from a paranoia on part of the critic that other people won't be able to put two and two together and realize that hey, that was a really horrible chapter of human history. it's a paranoia that unless cillian murphy turns directly to the camera and says "bombing hiroshima and nagasaki was wrong", unless the movie bends over backwards to talk about how much this completely sucked, then anything less than that is de facto an omission because you can't depend on the audience using their brains and coming to their own conclusions. and it's Very Very Important that we beat it into people's heads that bombing japan was bad and we all have a responsibility to be as tediously didactic as it takes to make sure everyone knows it

it's pretty apparent how much this parallels maddy thorson's article about how she and the rest of her team wrote celeste: a bunch of people got mad that Madeline never turns directly to the camera as the pink-white-and-blue flutters in the breeze behind her while she says Trans Rights Are Human Rights, and that anything less than that is being complicit in burying the existence of trans characters in media and trans people in real life, because if it's not clubbed over peoples' heads then how can they be expected to figure this poo poo out? for themselves?? with their brains????

it's a very pessimistic and nihilistic mindset.

so, uh. I dunno that this tracks with the Oppenheimer analogy at all, though. Oppenheimer famously never said he thought Nagasaki or Hiroshima shouldn't have been nuked. Was that latent racism, and he would've felt different if it were white people? Was that a "okay that was good now let's stop for a bit" feeling? We don't really know, but the movie, to its credit, doesn't dwell on Oppenheimer's opinion on those two specific bombings - but as a result also doesn't say they were bad for us, either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just assumed it was because the movie was about Oppenheimer himself moreso than the Manhattan project and he didn't actually see the bombs being dropped :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

finally. lady radia's time to shine. a discussion intersecting trans representation and inclusivity with Oppenheimer and 1940s/50s American nuclear policy..... this is what i was made for