Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

sirtommygunn posted:

can he not throw the ball in practice

Yes, it’s not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And then Lance when they were trying to give him snaps last year played in a monsoon and then got immediately hurt in week two.

Just kind of a cursed career so far.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

Yes, it’s not the same

I've seen so many discussions over the years about how a bad QB really just needed to sit for a year and they were being RUINED by their team throwing them in the fire before they were ready. Now I'm being told that all that is bullshit and the only way to advance as a player is to wrack up xp on the field.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would bet just about everything I own that Trey Lance will never be a starting QB

then again I would have bet everything against Geno Smith sooooo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sirtommygunn posted:

I've seen so many discussions over the years about how a bad QB really just needed to sit for a year and they were being RUINED by their team throwing them in the fire before they were ready. Now I'm being told that all that is bullshit and the only way to advance as a player is to wrack up xp on the field.

Both can be true. On the field experience is invaluable. It's why Hyatt was owning practices all week and then had one catch for -4 yards against bracketed coverage. Trey should also probably learn to throw a timing route by now through tons of practice.

Either way QB is, in my opinion, the most difficult position to play in all of sports. It's totally reasonable that people can just suck at it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

sirtommygunn posted:

*chuckles warmly* it makes no sense to me either, seems like a tough job

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BlindSite posted:

It's crazy when you think about it and how much San Fran gave up to draft him. I know he's still only 23 but still - if ever there was a time it's kinda now.

It's wild that Lance has been a massive whiff yet the Niners haven't missed a beat

If just about any other team did this, the franchise would be set back 5 years

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sirtommygunn posted:

It's almost like you need to put the practice time to practical use to be good.

I almost don't blame the Colts for throwing Richardson out there.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 16, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

oh hey new Madden is out. Surely this year will be the year they get it right

https://twitter.com/GrittyGamingGG/status/1691332860219691008

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do some people want that to not happen?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It does capture what's happened to Denver's receivers this training camp.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And then some 4th round nobody from Purdue with a mediocre arm and zero mobility that looks like a goon

comes in and immediately looks like he belongs in the NFL, something Trey Lance never has.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

And then some 4th round nobody from Purdue with a mediocre arm and zero mobility that looks like a goon

comes in and immediately looks like he belongs in the NFL, something Trey Lance never has.

this is clearly the illegitimate child of Jake Plummer

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Codependent Poster posted:

Classic fencing response.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

qbs who already have experience playing need to sit and learn nfl stuff if possible

qbs who don't have experience playing need everything

thumbs up

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Cavauro posted:

qbs who already have experience playing need to sit and learn nfl stuff if possible

qbs who don't have experience playing need everything

thumbs up

thanks ,

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Until the entire front office spawns on the football field it's not a glitchy Madden

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If I lived in Europe I would totally get a rad bike. But in North America it basically seems like a ticking time bomb until you get into a serious accident if you ride regularly.

If I die, at least it will be doing something I enjoy greatly :shrug:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Screaming in pain while regretting not living long enough to see Henry Kissinger die?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Pain is weakness leaving your body

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

To be fair if I was catching passes from Russ I'd also fake my own death

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Let em down easy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

They gave up a ton because everyone wanted him. He was 6'4 with a cannon and was coming off a 2.7k yard 28 td/0 INT season with another 1100 rushing yards and 14 TDs. NDSU never really taught him to throw anything besides gently caress it deep and then he lost his junior year to the covid season so he was a total project.

I get the potential they saw, but I still think its kinda crazy considering he wasn't realistically an NFL ready quarterback and it's rare to see that kind of compensation for potential alone. I realise all draft picks are potential alone but on a sliding scale of potential vs tape it was waaaaaay to one side.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's almost like you need to put the practice time to practical use to be good.

I almost don't blame the Colts for throwing Richardson out there.

There's also no substitute for live game time experience. I know it's a somewhat different world but I've seen guys in gyms who have world class kickboxing when they're hitting mits or showing technique. Just tremendous economy of movement and body control to generate timing, power, speed and quickness and then the moment you give them a mouth guard and get them to spar they go to water.

Panthers took the approach with Cam that they just wanted him to get reps, live reps, as many as possible and develop from there and until his body broke down it worked extremely well. On the otherside you've got Rodgers whos one of the top quarterbacks in history who sat for a number of years to unfuck his mechanics and get him up to speed.

Lance was drafted two years ago. I gotta think that he's had all the coaching and off field learning poo poo a guys going to get - and by all reports he's a smart guy but he hasn't been available much the last two years and that's got to be the primary factor around "he needs game time" - he's had gently caress all of it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ7zHF6ils

there was a lot to be said about the original hail mary

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madden has looked exactly the same for 15 years lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BlindSite posted:

I get the potential they saw, but I still think its kinda crazy considering he wasn't realistically an NFL ready quarterback and it's rare to see that kind of compensation for potential alone. I realise all draft picks are potential alone but on a sliding scale of potential vs tape it was waaaaaay to one side.

It's not too bad anymore. Rookie wage scale made draft picks less valuable. You can just amass players for a couple years on cheap deals then do a big trade up when you see a potential franchise QB. When you get a bunch of holes in your roster because of the trade up you just go fill it in free agency since you can afford it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

D-LINK posted:

Pain is weakness leaving your body

Also blood in this situation.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1691661019536314735

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
That will be quite enough hucksters named Oz thank you very much

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm glad it isn't the other guy. i didn't know who it was. but now? that guy's good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The guys a great magician. Every now and then some magician like this pops up claiming mentalist powers and they get really popular before people realize it's all slight of hand. He was on barstool sports before freaking people out by writing down names and numbers the studio members were thinking about while just slight of handing in the answers right before the reveal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kiimo posted:

Aidan O'Connell, Preseason Superstar is definitely not something i had on my dreamboard this year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not the right thread but I’m seriously considering grabbing him in Dynasty because Jimmy G can’t stay healthy

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Lance actually threw a nice timing pass or two on Sunday. He just didn’t look good at much else.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Remember Jimmy Clausen?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Incitatus posted:

Remember Jimmy Clausen?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Darren Brown too busy or simply too British? We gotta bring in the latest generation of “pick a book! A page! A line! I’ll read it back to you”

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I know he's going for kiss the rings, but it really reads more as do you like my nails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I know he's going for kiss the rings, but it really reads more as do you like my nails
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I hold my hands when I'm showing off my nails. I see other women do it too.

Jimmy; however, is just being a smug dork.