Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also don’t forget

Gabese

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://youtu.be/dREy4kev4lU

Don’t watch if you don’t want to spoil the greatest moment in cinematic history

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Chris James 2 posted:

Dupieux rules, I need to check this out. I loved Rubber obviously, and Deerskin is also pretty great; if you haven't seen that definitely fix it, Jean Dujardin gets a jacket he likes

Not horror at all, but Mandibles and Keep An Eye Out are both loving great.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the Popcorn Frights festival has their virtual screenings open now. Haven't watched too many yet, but I did watch Abruptio a couple of nights ago, and holy poo poo. It's not strictly horror, but there are some harrowing moments in it, it's made with human-sized puppets, and Jordan Peele and Sid Haig do voices for it (amongst others). I highly encourage you all to check it out-- it's available through next Sunday, and it's wild.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How long was that sitting on the shelf if they have sid Haig as a voice actor

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Took them ten years to make it, and I think they recorded all the dialogue back in 2017.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, we'll see if they eventually manage to get a good balance of decent stories and decent wraparound. Usually they'll drop the ball on one of those.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hollismason posted:

Post posters that are loving liars.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, here's a question.

I have [what I think is] an original Friday the 13th part VIII poster, the "I Jason New York" one. And at the bottom the release date is obviously a reapplied sticker. My issue is that I know the poster went through a bunch of revisions and the release date changed, so that may be the reason for the sticker if it is indeed an original. It could also be hiding a video release date or something else in order to appear original. The only way I could know is removing the sticker which would damage the poster. I just realized I don't have actually have a question.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Shine some light through it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

an owls casket posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the Popcorn Frights festival has their virtual screenings open

It’s just down the road from me but I’ve been a bit lazy about going to anything. I’m more about their classic screenings, but the last one I went to (Sleepaway Camp) had a wasted guy yell out incoherent nonsense the entire time. People need to hold their poo poo together better.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trying to emulate this look from Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up Handbook by Dick Smith (1965). Specifically only the eyes.

With a touch of the Sugar Hill (1974) zombies

For a Merman makeup loosely based on this old illustration

This is a work in progress of the eyes using Christmas decoration half-balls.

Earlier, failed, attempts revolved around drilling or punching holes through the half spheres but that caused the entire eye to fracture so I think the current method of using stickers to create reverse stencil irises might work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/jillsixx/status/1691458508200570881?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ
I don’t feel like this is a wrong take at all

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

an owls casket posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the Popcorn Frights festival has their virtual screenings open now. Haven't watched too many yet, but I did watch Abruptio a couple of nights ago, and holy poo poo. It's not strictly horror, but there are some harrowing moments in it, it's made with human-sized puppets, and Jordan Peele and Sid Haig do voices for it (amongst others). I highly encourage you all to check it out-- it's available through next Sunday, and it's wild.

Looking at their lineup and want to say you should :getin: for Beaten to Death (horror film) when it's available Friday and Sour Party (not horror film) when it's available Sunday. Two of my fav surprises of the year

Beaten to Death is an Aussie film that...gives the game away with its title really. Brutal film about a guy just having the worst luck of people he runs into
Sour Party is a comedy about two broke friends having the worst luck possible trying to reach a deadline to get an actual decent gift for one's sister's baby shower

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 15, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, here's a question.

I have [what I think is] an original Friday the 13th part VIII poster, the "I Jason New York" one. And at the bottom the release date is obviously a reapplied sticker. My issue is that I know the poster went through a bunch of revisions and the release date changed, so that may be the reason for the sticker if it is indeed an original. It could also be hiding a video release date or something else in order to appear original. The only way I could know is removing the sticker which would damage the poster. I just realized I don't have actually have a question.

First try shining various lights on the other side to see if there’s any silhouetting. You probably can’t read anything through that, but you could get lucky and it’s definitely the easiest way.

Cause then we’re talking different ways to remove the sticker, which means some risk. There are probably an array of solvents that could do it, but which is too complex a question for me.

If it were me, I’d get a miniature humidifier or whatever means you have of getting the absolute gentlest amount of steam and then try to get it off with a razor. Basically wet-shaving the sticker off.

If it’s sufficiently valuable, find an archival history or archaeology grand student and give them 20$. They tease apart 200 year old documents fused together with household cleaning supplies on the reg and are usually comically poor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Trying to emulate this look from Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up Handbook by Dick Smith (1965). Specifically only the eyes.

this pic is such a classic.

i'm working on a Dover Demon costume for Halloween and might do something similar eyewise.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

That Ghoulies poster has to be one of the biggest let downs of a horror movie poster ever made.

Post posters that are loving liars.

Ok

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every movie set in the 80s and 90s always has nothing but bangers playing on the radio, on people’s headphones etc. It’s a small detail but kinda drives me mad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every movie set in the 80s and 90s always has nothing but bangers playing on the radio, on people’s headphones etc. It’s a small detail but kinda drives me mad.

90’s kids absolutely remember absolute trash for 30 minutes of radio time then 2 minutes of something cool, then another 40 of trash. Real life radio.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, we'll see if they eventually manage to get a good balance of decent stories and decent wraparound. Usually they'll drop the ball on one of those.

:wal: Oh they're balanced all right.

:stat: You really think so?

:wal: ...because they're both bad!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think a lot of Horror is set in the 80s/90s so they don't have to explain why people don't have cell phones with them at all times

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I do like that in House of the Devil the Greta Gerwig character is driving around back roads in a dumpy car listening to some Thomas Dolby album cut.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
No movie set in the 90s has Jars of Clay playing on the radio

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

I think a lot of Horror is set in the 80s/90s so they don't have to explain why people don't have cell phones with them at all times

It’s also just that a lot of movies are being made by people who grew up in the 80s and 90s. This is a “problem” that will correct itself naturally when the people making films are not nostalgic for the 80s and 90s.

Cell phones are a pretty easy end around. They break, the batteries die, you accidentally leave them off, you drop them when you’re running or forget them when you’re fleeing and panicked. But certainly part of the whole nostalgia off the 80s and 90s is that there’s story trappings you have to adjust from those periods for cell phones. The people making these films don’t want to have to deal with the parents all having LoJack on their kids phones when they go on a spooky adventure. They could. But they don’t want to because that wasn’t part of their ideal story.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 16, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the rose-colored glasses effect about period music is even worse when it's some dipshit kid's t-shirt or posters in their bedroom. You're 13 years old in 1980, dude. Some production designer put that Joy Division poster there while you were begging mom for a ride to see REO Speedwagon or Bob Seger.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If they start setting period piece horror movies in the early 00s I'd better hear Summer Girls by LFO.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

That's a pretty bad rear end poster though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

If they start setting period piece horror movies in the early 00s I'd better hear Summer Girls by LFO.

Actually every kid in an early 00s period piece should canonically own a copy of the Digimon The Movie soundtrack

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They need to have a movie from the 90s where a guy is wearing JNCO jeans and cannot run properly in them then he is murdered.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
*slasher failing to kill someone with a slap bracelet, grabs a nearby devil stick*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

*the villian picks up a stack of AOL CDs and throws them like shuriken at someone killing them*

"Guess you went offline"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Has any 13 year old boy in history not been deeply into Joy Division?

Even centuries before Joy Division was formed kids dug Joy Division on a subconscious level.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Opopanax posted:

It gets used as a crutch too often IMO even the Vicious Fun director says as much in the thread
https://twitter.com/cwsmets/status/1691488456604626957?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hollismason posted:

*the villian picks up a stack of AOL CDs and throws them like shuriken at someone killing them*

"Guess you went offline"
Are Aerosmith playing themselves again?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think what's started to bug me about 80s and 90s movies is how filthy everything isn't.

It must be pretty tough to find shitbox Tempos and K-cars and Sunbirds that are only half-rusted instead of entirely returned to iron oxide, and I get that horror is generally pretty cheap to produce and nobody wants to spend the time on scattering period-correct styrofoam hamburger clamshells everywhere and stomping on gum until the sidewalks look like a fuckin Dalmatian, but I absolutely have started to notice the absence

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/zernerlaw/status/1691597049001861137?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ
Chat meet up when?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We need MORE horror set in the 80s, but, like, the 1480s

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah uhh we need to crowdfund a rager at the old Bates place.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there's a huge difference between setting your movie in 1983, and setting it in The Shadow Mountains, 1983 AD

also what will our nostalgiabombs for the year 2023 look like

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I think I remember how that ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know that this is the only thing I ever talk about, but I just had a thought about the Senritsu Kaiki File series. Is it the best use of the series format of any horror movie series? Other horror movie series tend to start with an idea, and then future sequels try to do that idea again but bigger or in a new way or just the same again. But every Senritsu Kaiki entry adds more to the world, continues the story of our characters, slowly draws the shape of the horror, without ever over explaining or undercutting a previous entry.