Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There has been longstanding concern in the mod forum and among posters who aren't regs here, that this not be a thread in which people just gleefully enjoy stories of death. The thread culture sometimes veers too close to that. I've been a part of it for years, I've argued this thread should exist and that for the most part what we're doing is decrying stupid pointless risktaking and especially risktaking that involves exploiting impoverished people in a poor country... but when folks are just posting about how gruesome deaths can be it can be hard for GBS mods to tell the difference.

If we want our thread to stick around we have to self-police a bit better. I agree personally that the topic is a bit broader than strictly Everest, but let's make it unequivocal that the topic is not just an especially bloodthirsty form of schadenfreude.

Lmao at those chodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Leperflesh posted:

an especially bloodthirsty form of schadenfreude

If you take this from me , I’ll be left with nothing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E:

Nm, if I want to scream into the void I'll pay the $50,000 like everyone else

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 15, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Edit: Eh nevermind, it's not important.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Historically, throughout the life of this thread, it has focused on Everest during a 2 month period when climbing happens there (April/May) or discussion of Everest/other mountaineering stuff at relevant times (K2 climbing season being in July, etc.) but it has:

*always* included non-mountaineering, hyper dangerous situations, and it has
*always* recognized the difference between "This person belongs here" (Ulei Steck on Everest, or James Cameron in Challenger Deep due to training, proper gearing, and support) and "Some idiot paid to be dragged into a dangerous situation to bypass the needed experience and or gearing" (Canada Flag Everest Lady, Oceangate, etc.)

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

honestly there's like two different threads going on here. one thread is about rich people getting themselves killed along with those unfortunate enough to get dragged along with them. the other is about true horror stories of mountaineering, caving, and things like that.

like, while the Nutty Putty guy did put himself in that position, the story just makes me feel bad for the guy and his family. it's not funny. but people love to scare themselves by learning about the horrible ways they could die, as morbid as that is.

idk, maybe it makes sense to put that stuff in a separate thread so we're not getting our :munch:ing confused with our :gonk:ing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh i like the two topics going together. i don't think anyone really crosses the streams. the problem is people egging each other on (if inadvertently). i think having the "we all recognize this is sad" stuff helps to keep people from getting too weird on the "jeeze what morons" stuff.

anyway when i think people are being gross i just say "y'all are being gross" and while i can't really claim anyone pays attention to what i say the system seems to work for me 🤷‍♀️

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Deepest Breath on Netflix is like inverse Everest. Underwater death zone! No caves or anything just going down and no air.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Deepest Breath on Netflix

Interesting show, that lot seems to skate pretty close to "weird cult people" though. Also the mundanity of it, they're doing these crazy dives just next to the beach where tourists and dogs are splashing around. Much like dying in a muddy hole on a farm 5 metres below a cow paddock.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For sure. I remember going to the hot springs in Steamboat this past winter and this woman on the bus was crazy hype to go to some retreat with a bunch of other enthusiasts to hang out with Wim Hof in Poland and his whole cold immersion deal. Now THAT seems like a cult.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As has already been pointed out, this is a thread that actually takes the risk management angle on these stories about high adventure quite seriously. We understand that these deadly incidents are grim, grizzly, pointless affairs. We usually harp on the parties at fault who could have or should have known better but didn't listen to reason.

Most of the regulars seem to have some respect for professional mountaineers or at least don't spoil the discussion for those who occasionally bring up what famous climbers are doing.

Like on the last page with the Sherpa who died in a freak stroke of awful luck, when a genuine accident happens the thread takes it pretty somber.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 16, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm reading the Outside magazine article on the 1968 Mt. Hood disaster.

quote:

A tall, handsome service veteran, Harder had earned the nickname Bagger because his first 24 missions with the 304th had, unfortunately, ended without any live rescues.
Emergency worker humor is harsh, man.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm reading the Outside magazine article on the 1968 Mt. Hood disaster.

Emergency worker humor is harsh, man.

The best black humor you will ever find will come from people who deal with mental and emotional trauma/stressful situations. Black humor is how you cope with that poo poo a lot of the time.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
My mum was a nurse and she was wildly black in her humour about people and death and that kind of thing, which I have somewhat learned from her. But she cared deeply for animals and would stop her car and get out to start a fight with someone if she saw them hitting their dog.

Also I agree that this thread is great when discussing stuff like Everest and other 'extreme' stuff but does get a bit weird when people start blood-lusting.

Elsa Maria
Jun 7, 2013
I've lurked this thread for a long time and I think for the most part it has found its way to a tone that usually works. The titan sub came up as a topic naturally and I think it was separate to the other threads, but also I don't want to linger on it too much and risk things getting weird.

One of the most interesting things in the thread for me has been reading about the difficulties involved in rescue and recovery attempts in extreme conditions because it's so hard to imagine decision-making in situations like the 8000m death zone, or drunk off the gas mix in your diving rebreather (I go back to Outside's article on Dave Shaw every so often, a good but scary piece of writing). The effort and coordination involved is immense, I'm not surprised rescue workers lean into the humour to cope.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Elsa Maria posted:

drunk off the gas mix in your diving rebreather (I go back to Outside's article on Dave Shaw every so often, a good but scary piece of writing)

Don Shirley's struggle to survive that dive is nightmare fuel mitigated only by the fact that he somehow succeeded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elsa Maria posted:

(I go back to Outside's article on Dave Shaw every so often, a good but scary piece of writing).

Outside has a ton of good writing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Platystemon posted:

Outside has a ton of good writing.

Had good writing. It's really a shame that a magazine that used to have really top-notch outdoor writing is now basically just a clickbait farm. I can't remember the last time they actually published something great.

a dreaded hamwort
Nov 12, 2011

I remember in Into Thin Air, Krakauer said that Outside Online was a completely separate operation from the print magazine. Online had their own reporter on Everest that year and neither of them had any idea until they both arrived. Now they seem to share the website and have the same editor in chief.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
The British version of Alone is pretty fun, feels like early seasons of Alone where everyone is not an expert, a lot of incompetence on display

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Real talk:
How many of you have bested Mount Everest?

Got any millionaire Climbers here?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm a billionaire so I pay people to climb everest for me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I'm a billionaire so I pay people to climb everest for me.

I can see it on the internet. What's the big deal?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Kamrat posted:

The British version of Alone is pretty fun, feels like early seasons of Alone where everyone is not an expert, a lot of incompetence on display

Fishing for trout and trying to stay dry while staving off boredom?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Where can I watch that?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Real talk:
How many of you have bested Mount Everest?

Got any millionaire Climbers here?

There must surely be number of multi-millionaire Everest summiters ITT who have been too humble to mention it until now.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah chances are there is at least one goon who summited Everest but wisely will not reveal themselves to this thread, because we would ask them questions like how many dying and dead mountaineers did they step over, and did they haggle with their sherpa over less money then they make in an hour's nap.

Now what would be really rad was if we had a Sherpa goon :)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
if you die on everest does your ghost oonly get to haunt everest or can it like… catch a wind current and drift somewhere else and haunt there? not really sure the alpine rules in this area…

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

if you die on everest does your ghost oonly get to haunt everest or can it like… catch a wind current and drift somewhere else and haunt there? not really sure the alpine rules in this area…

OOHHH You're gonna die here.
Yeah we loving know

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Leviathan Song posted:

Where can I watch that?

You might need a vpn but I don't know if that counts as :filez:
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/alone

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I think it's kinda gross in that it's a very British reality style tv thing where they've gone out of their way to get people with emotional stories who are gonna struggle. I don't think most of them even have any survival experience beyond the bootcamp.

they've also gone off format and have these overexposed interview bits where it's just a close up of a overlit face. whatever reason it super bugs me and loads of British shows do it now!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Getting people with an emotional backstory is a reality-tv thing though, it's not exclusively British, but yeah, some of the decisions they made in making this show is kind of strange but I'm enjoying the show despite this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That's what ruined kitchen nightmares USA - every episode was the same tearful breakdown as a Small Business Owner realises they can't live up to their lovely boomer dad's restaurant dream by serving microwave meals from the supermarket

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Kitchen Nightmares did that to an extreme, same reason I didn't enjoy extreme home makeover

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

uk kitchen nightmares is a much better show as a whole, us kitchen nightmares has the best youtube moments

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

OOHHH You're gonna die here.
Yeah we loving know

Haha

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

git apologist posted:

uk kitchen nightmares is a much better show as a whole, us kitchen nightmares has the best youtube moments

Yeah I much prefer 'actual human being' Gordon Ramsay to 'shrieking cartoon' Gordon Ramsay but I think this is not universal

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I much prefer 'actual human being' Gordon Ramsay to 'shrieking cartoon' Gordon Ramsay but I think this is not universal

:ramsay:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

git apologist posted:

Meow meow meow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HopperUK posted:

Even in the American show (which we are rewatching now because of its resurrection this month), they try so hard in the editing to play up Ramsay yelling at people with all of those "cliffhangers" at ad breaks of quotes out of context.....but if you're paying attention he only really does that when people are being a special kind of stupid, mistreating/stealing from their employees, using drugs, or endangering customers with rotten food, i.e. times it's actually fairly appropriate to berate them.

Fox tries so hard to play that angle, but then you see him working with kids on Masterchef Jr. or just being his goofy self on The F-Word trying to catch puffins or turning his backyard into a sheep pen (UK, the US reboot was hot garbage).