Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Cowman posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for horror animes to watch. When the anime was released doesn't really matter. I really don't want any fan service or at least a minimum of it. Gore is perfectly fine and the specific type of horror doesn't matter either.

I've watched Parasyte, Akira, Castlevania, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and some of the CGI Resident Evil films (which I don't think count as anime but it's close enough to mention at least).

Movies or series are fine. I want more story and atmosphere rich than just straight slasher but I can enjoy a good slasher too.

I'm looking more for spooky and atmospheric horrors but good horror comedies or "so bad it's good" types (like the old rear end 'product of its time' English dub of Ghost Stories) are also perfectly fine.

I checked the first couple pages and didn't see a horror specific thread so massive apologies if I've missed it.
I recently watched Another. It's like a more gloomy Final Destination. It's pretty atmospheric until you realize what is happening because both the mystery and the characters are so loving stupid it might push it into "so bad it's good" territory. Last episode had me cackling because it goes full Final Destination

Edit: I can also second recommendations for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (pretty rad), Devilman Crybaby (don't watch if you are in a bad place, it's extremely depressing) and Shiki (going through it now. Small village setting gives it Stephen King vibe).

sad question fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does Serial Experiments Lain count as horror? I feel like it's horror-adjacent at least. Ghost Hound is uneven but the first half of it is one of the better horror anime I can think of. The Kara no Kyoukai movies are I guess more like macabre dark fantasy but they're in the same ballpark as Madoka.

Also Princess Mononoke is one of the most frightening movies I've seen, I think it's up there with Akira in terms of being so dark and harrowing that it kind of brute forces its way into the realm of horror.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Serial Experiments Lain isn’t horror but learning about the beliefs of its lead writer Chiaki J Konaka is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the beliefs of chiaki j konaka, which are unmentionable (wrote a dumb scene in a 2007 horror anime where a guy denies climate change and wrote a digimon tamers play with some dumb attempts at topical jokes about american internet culture filtered through a japanese internet context that changes the meaning of a lot of the buzz words he was using that he admitted was bad and he regretted writing)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiaki j konaka owns and is my friend. scared?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Perfect Blue

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Colonel posted:

the beliefs of chiaki j konaka, which are unmentionable (wrote a dumb scene in a 2007 horror anime where a guy denies climate change and wrote a digimon tamers play with some dumb attempts at topical jokes about american internet culture filtered through a japanese internet context that changes the meaning of a lot of the buzz words he was using that he admitted was bad and he regretted writing)

He’s pretty big conspiracy theorist, he actively follows people who promote far-right beliefs, before, he’s told lies about the covid-19 vaccine—we’ve had this conversation before.

I don’t know why goons rush to launder this guy’s reputation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you write Lain and The Big O you can do whatever else you like

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sakurazuka posted:

I like his work a lot! He still sucks though

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s pretty big conspiracy theorist, he actively follows people who promote far-right beliefs, before, he’s told lies about the covid-19 vaccine—we’ve had this conversation before.

I don’t know why goons rush to launder this guy’s reputation

i don't think anyone does

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait, he wrote Big O?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe the Covid vaccine actually is fake...........

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Maybe it's made of tomatoes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What you don't seem to understand is that you seemed to shame an honest man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't care to launder his reputation or something it's just stupid to vaguely wave at the idea of bad things about a guy and, most of what you can say about konaka isn't really a surprise given what he writes. like drat, the guy who wrote shows all about conspiracy theories is a weird conspiracy theorist? the most relevant this is to how it actually pops up in any of the things people might talk about is ghost dog and it's been years since i've ever seen anyone recommend watching ghost dog so whatever dumb views he's expressed online i don't think there's much sense to bringing it up when you're just recommending lain or something. and if you're gonna bring it up you should just say what the dirt on him is from the start

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 17, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

The Colonel posted:

and it's been years since i've ever seen anyone recommend watching ghost dog

hello??????

can you see me post, or am i a weird floating butt baby ghost

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hayao miyazaki wants to gently caress little girls but nobody feels the need to qualify that when they talk about spirited away so its weird every time lain or whatever comes up a bad stage show that konaka said was dumb is tossed out like holy water

like on the list of things popular anime creators have said or done konaka's crimes are in the 'who gives a poo poo' category. who out there is going 'im unsure if i should get the covid vaccine... i know who'll be the difference maker, the opinion of the guy who wrote malice@doll'

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

hayao miyazaki wants to gently caress little girls but nobody feels the need to qualify that when they talk about spirited away so its weird every time lain or whatever comes up a bad stage show that konaka said was dumb is tossed out like holy water

like on the list of things popular anime creators have said or done konaka's crimes are in the 'who gives a poo poo' category. who out there is going 'im unsure if i should get the covid vaccine... i know who'll be the difference maker, the opinion of the guy who wrote malice@doll'

i dont get why miyazaki doesn't get poo poo for stuff like what he's said about wanting to date a 12 year old girl and people immediately assume he's innocent other than he made movies people liked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he made movies people like and he's so like, 'beloved' that even when people find out about it they dont wanna make callout posts about it, so it doesnt really get spread around

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly it's funnier with miyazaki cause like. a lot of his oddities are very visible throughout his work. to the point that other old anime guys joke about it openly in interviews whenever his work comes up, and some defining artistic choices in shows he worked on are attributed to staff members adapting stuff to the stricter ideas miyazaki formed about how he wanted to depict women. konaka's a bit dumb but so much of how he actually writes about stuff in his most popular shows is kinda floaty and detached in a way where you don't really run into that kind of thing so hard, i think the funniest instance is mostly just how he seems to kin the insane sunglasses government fbi conspiracy man in digimon tamers but also that guy's whole arc rules for how nuts it is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 17, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
did miyazaki actually say those things or is it just kinda a taking potshots at the grumpy old man for being really into bai-niang when he was in high school? its honestly the first i've ever heard of him wanting to gently caress any one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Glad we get to have the anime equivalent of this guy around to lay down the facts about random writers, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

did miyazaki actually say those things or is it just kinda a taking potshots at the grumpy old man for being really into bai-niang when he was in high school? its honestly the first i've ever heard of him wanting to gently caress any one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It sure is cool this is a discussion happening in the anime recommendation thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i recommend one piece movie 6 the island of baron omatsuri because its a movie about how much mamoru hosoda dislikes miyazaki

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Hosoda movies where people go into the internet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i too like every single hosoda movie except the one piece one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so asking here because i assume the bleach thread is full of spoilers

i've been strongarmed into reading the bleach manga and i'm just after the soul society arc. i've heard this is its peak and its problems have been very apparent but also these fights own really hard so i'm enjoying it. is the anime worth watching? the person making me read it seems to think highly of the anime's filler. would it be better to just watch the fight scenes on youtube, or is the anime as a whole worth it?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Personally, I couldn't get through the Bleach anime, even though I forced myself to finish the manga. I came pretty close, having watched around 300 episodes, but couldn't take any more. This coming from someone who watched every episode of Naruto.

The manga goes pretty far downhill too, with a rushed ending after it was, if I recall, effectively canceled.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

so asking here because i assume the bleach thread is full of spoilers

i've been strongarmed into reading the bleach manga and i'm just after the soul society arc. i've heard this is its peak and its problems have been very apparent but also these fights own really hard so i'm enjoying it. is the anime worth watching? the person making me read it seems to think highly of the anime's filler. would it be better to just watch the fight scenes on youtube, or is the anime as a whole worth it?

I'd say just read through the manga, then if you're interested check out the fillers and the highlights for the fights.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

runawayturtles posted:

The manga goes pretty far downhill too, with a rushed ending after it was, if I recall, effectively canceled.

No, the reason the ending is rushed is because Tite Kubo was literally dying, so he rushed the ending himself. Hopefully the new anime adaptation fixes the ending a bit-they've already expanded on parts that weren't shown in the manga and have alludes to stuff from the light novels that came afterwards as well.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So I really enjoyed watching Pretty Boy Detective Club, and I think one thing I liked about it is that it is a mystery show that doesn't have someone getting murdered every episode. Does anyone have any recommendations for manga/anime that is a detective/mystery series that doesn't have constant murders (and isn't a total downer)? I enjoy Deranged Detective, but it gets a bit much with people constantly getting murdered or being murderers. Or anything else similar to PBDC.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Detective Conan

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Incredibly basic rec for the criteria, but Hyouka is the prime low-stakes mystery show if you haven't seen it already. Haruchika and Mushishi are also good. If season-long cases/conspiracies rather than smaller individual mysteries are fine, then you've also got options like ACCA 13, Fugo Keiji, and Double Decker.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it takes a bit to really get going, but The Case Files of Jeweler Richard has a similar episodic low stakes mystery with a focus on exploring the interpersonal relationships of both the clients of the week and the main characters. The family politics it goes through can get a bit messy but it ends up being a pretty touching found family narrative.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Apothecary Diaries has some deaths in it but it’s a pretty comfy mystery series

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hello, sadly I’m almost finished with Space Dandy. This series has been incredible (as have the other Watanabe series I finally watched for the first time this year). Are there any good resources for behind the scenes information on the making of these series? Every episode feels so fresh and full of ideas, I’d love to know more about the process.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

space dandy brought in a bunch of notable directors to guest direct episodes is how they got that much variety. same with writers. it's an anthology series basically.

i dunno if theres any good behind the scenes stuff, most of the detailed english language sources of that e.g. sakugablog didn't exist yet when it came out.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

thetoughestbean posted:

The Apothecary Diaries has some deaths in it but it’s a pretty comfy mystery series

And there's a cat-cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

haypliss posted:

Haruchika and Mushishi are also good.

Along the lines of Mushishi, Natsume's Book of Friends is a lower-stakes but similarly great show for light supernatural mysteries.