Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Alright which one of you freaks plays with inverted mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mouse? You mean a trackball?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what you playing with a mouse, Excel??!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what you playing with a mouse, Excel??!!

Speaking of, Eve Online runs great on the Deck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of, Eve Online runs great on the Deck.

Lies, Eve doesn't run great on anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mouse? You mean a trackball?

Goddamn right.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

wizard2 posted:

oh? which ones do you know?

I want to say that Star Wars Bounty Hunter does it with no option to change it to regular (this was my first foray into rebinding the right stick to reverse it), but most of the PS2 JRPGS defaulted to inverted horizontal and you have to change it back in the menu.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Let’s go back to camera rotation being on the triggers with no up/down control.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just pulled the trigger on a 2TB SSD.

I assume iFixit has a guide to the actual physical replacing, but is there a go-to for cloning the old drive?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vic posted:

Alright which one of you freaks plays with inverted mouse?

Inverted Gyro. :unsmigghh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Debuffed posted:

I got this working last week and it's really really good. I really recommend also getting the MoonDeck plugin for Decky (requires you to run an extra little program on your pc called MoonBuddy). That gives you quick buttons on the steam deck under the plugin to wake on lan or shutdown the host, and it adds an extra little moon icon to every game page on your Steam Deck that if you select it will automatically open up steam and load the game on your host pc and start streaming. When you quit the game it will stop streaming cleanly (in my experience). It also seems to get 16:10 over moonlight working on the Deck in a way that I couldn't get working with just Sunshine and Moonlight alone.

Am currently playing Baldurs Gate 3 on the deck this way, with Moondeck set to a custom resolution of 2560 x 1600 so that BG3 runs at that res on the host, to get 1:1 pixel mapped super sampling on the deck which looks great. I set a custom bitrate of 45000 on Moondeck as well. This looks and plays like native to me with the bonus that the steam deck fans never spin up and I can play BG3 in ultra quality in bed. With the WOL and shutdown host I don't even have to move to turn on my desktop pc or shut it down when I'm done. I am living the dream!

I got around to setting this up, but cannot get the wake on lan to work. I have it enabled in windows 10 but I don't see any settings in Moondeck to toggle. Is there anything special you had to do to get it to work? I've never used the feature before so who knows what could be causing it...I too want to live the dream! Suspend and restart (all I've tried otherwise) both seem to work but I can't get this to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I got around to setting this up, but cannot get the wake on lan to work. I have it enabled in windows 10 but I don't see any settings in Moondeck to toggle. Is there anything special you had to do to get it to work? I've never used the feature before so who knows what could be causing it...I too want to live the dream! Suspend and restart (all I've tried otherwise) both seem to work but I can't get this to.

Check your bios. It might be disabled in there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It sure was. Hah! Works now. :)

My PC is in the basement and this will allow me to be even lazier to wake it up for game streaming and plex.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Has anyone tried to fire up X-Wing or TIE Fighter on the Deck? They both have pretty good steam input configs so I wanted to see how'd they do. I pulled the 1998 versions down (since they're Windows executables) and they run fine, except they play in 640x480 and are not scaling to the full screen of the Deck. Using "force resolution" in settings doesn't seem to do anything, nor does bringing in a ddraw replacer and forcing a 1280x800 resolution.

I'm using the GOG versions via Heroic so maybe that's messing something up.

(Also, inverted joystick user checking in, I cut my teeth on X-Wing and flight sims so my brain has been used to up = look down for 25+ years at this point)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've had a couple of PS2 games use inverted camera controls and I was able to get them the proper way with Steam Input.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hannibal posted:

Has anyone tried to fire up X-Wing or TIE Fighter on the Deck? They both have pretty good steam input configs so I wanted to see how'd they do. I pulled the 1998 versions down (since they're Windows executables) and they run fine, except they play in 640x480 and are not scaling to the full screen of the Deck. Using "force resolution" in settings doesn't seem to do anything, nor does bringing in a ddraw replacer and forcing a 1280x800 resolution.

I'm using the GOG versions via Heroic so maybe that's messing something up.

(Also, inverted joystick user checking in, I cut my teeth on X-Wing and flight sims so my brain has been used to up = look down for 25+ years at this point)

When you say they’re not scaling do you mean they’re literally running in a 640x480 box in the corner or is it centred and stretched to fit top and bottom with black bars either side? The latter is the best you’re gonna get out of the box.

Those games aren’t gonna run natively widescreen on anything without some kind of third party hack because they were never widescreen to begin with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The secret best deck games are almost all AAA games from the 360/PS3 era. They are tiny dl files that rarely go over 20 gigs, they always run at max settings and a constant 60 fps, They take like, no battery life to run (I Just played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West , then some Vanquish for over an hour and I'm at 90% battery life). Then to top everything off, many of newer game's bells and whistles barely show up on the Deck screen but the little screen makes the games of the late 00's and early 10's absolutely pop. It feels like you are playing in super HD cause you can't see the stuff that has aged the worst. They look almost as good as new games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The secret best deck games are almost all AAA games from the 360/PS3 era. They are tiny dl files that rarely go over 20 gigs, they always run at max settings and a constant 60 fps, They take like, no battery life to run (I Just played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West , then some Vanquish for over an hour and I'm at 90% battery life). Then to top everything off, many of newer game's bells and whistles barely show up on the Deck screen but the little screen makes the games of the late 00's and early 10's absolutely pop. It feels like you are playing in super HD cause you can't see the stuff that has aged the worst. They look almost as good as new games.

Many people played them on their early 2000s CRTs too

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

Any suggestions in particular?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Microsoft needs to bring Gears 1, 2 and 3 to Steam already. They'd be perfect for the Deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Annath posted:

Any suggestions in particular?

AssCreds, Fallouts, Far Crys, Elder Scrolls, Dishonoreds, Dark Souls, Bioshocks, Dead Spaces, Mass Effects... Basically all games that were designed for the 720p resolution will play for hours and hours on Deck.

AssCred II was a bit wonky because Ubisoft was still figuring out xinput support.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bulletstorm! Kill some dicks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What should I be doing to deal with Hades no longer playing sound? Every other game I tested is doing sound no problem.

I’ve:
Rebooted
Tested different headphones
Verified local files
Deleted and redownloaded proton files
Reinstalled Hades

What else should I be trying here?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Is it muted? You can mute individual programs (in desktop mode at least, clicking on the sound icon in the systray and switch to the applications tab)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
are y'all using the touchpad trackball mode for kb+m games and if so how do you deal with it

i've been trying to play old crpgs again but constantly having to move the "mouse" back and forth between tiny dialogue options and loot and inventory and all the things that don't have any sort of key support along with all the mouse clicking is just uncomfortable and frustrating to me and i still haven't found a good solution that doesn't strain the hands.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

imo the best deck games are Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1, 2, 3, 4, American Wasteland and Underground

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

mistermojo posted:

imo the best deck games are Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1, 2, 3, 4, American Wasteland and Underground

Skate 2 and 3 are pretty good too. Tony hawk 1+ 2 is the best skate game since underground though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

Microsoft needs to bring Gears 1, 2 and 3 to Steam already. They'd be perfect for the Deck.

Gears 3 isn't even on PC Game Pass yet, all the others are playable one way or another

Except I guess that one Cole and Baird spinoff one

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steam deck’s dpad isn’t good enough to get super deep into any of the THPS games imo and if you’re playing with the analogue stick you’re playing it completely wrong anyway and there’s no hope for you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

Is it muted? You can mute individual programs (in desktop mode at least, clicking on the sound icon in the systray and switch to the applications tab)

Oh man it was muted in desktop mode from some things I was troubleshooting.

Also, I had a hell of a time alt-tabbing in desktop mode. I ended up just VNCing into the deck to do it. Seems like launching a game toggles off all the desktop mode steam + shortcuts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

History Comes Inside! posted:

Steam deck’s dpad isn’t good enough to get super deep into any of the THPS games imo and if you’re playing with the analogue stick you’re playing it completely wrong anyway and there’s no hope for you.

Play it with the gyro

If you can't land the 1080 by flipping the steam deck in midair you're not doing everything you can

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Your Computer posted:

are y'all using the touchpad trackball mode for kb+m games and if so how do you deal with it

i've been trying to play old crpgs again but constantly having to move the "mouse" back and forth between tiny dialogue options and loot and inventory and all the things that don't have any sort of key support along with all the mouse clicking is just uncomfortable and frustrating to me and i still haven't found a good solution that doesn't strain the hands.

Try setting the trackpad to mouse region, by default it will map to the entire screen and wherever you swipe your thumb to on the trackpad will correspond to the same coordinate on screen. I beat Time Crisis that way, so it's definitely got enough speed and precision. Trackball mode is best for free aiming, it definitely isn't ideal for menus.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mistermojo posted:

:hmmyes:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mistermojo posted:

Toss Rollerdrome in there too imo

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol surely no one is that heinous.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Deck's dpad is fine overall except I think it has just a little too much travel before actuation. Double-tapping a direction is not as reliable or fast as I'm used to. If they shaved off a millimeter or whatever of travel, it would be excellent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

Gears 3 isn't even on PC Game Pass yet, all the others are playable one way or another

Except I guess that one Cole and Baird spinoff one

I ain't playin' no Game Pass streamed poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hades at 45 fps, 4 watts TDP and 500 MHz GPU gives me about 4 hours of play time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have two decks, was thinking it'd be cool to do local wireless play with emulators with the wife. Is there a current standard for easy use of different emulators on the deck? And has anyone tried to do local wireless play like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

I have two decks, was thinking it'd be cool to do local wireless play with emulators with the wife. Is there a current standard for easy use of different emulators on the deck? And has anyone tried to do local wireless play like this?

Look at this guy here with two decks and a wife

Pure decadence.