Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More CDC recommendations to be ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if your child's lips are blue, consider taking them to the doctor

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Buffer posted:

anywho, is there anything I can use to feel better about this whole "pre-pandemic school posture" thing? I've been pretty loving keyed up since like Friday if it wasn't obvious.

Just keep thinking how we got sick constantly back then, but the spouse wasn't on the suppressants in those days - so it's like how did people navigate this?

our kids are in kf94s and they haven't caught it from school yet

(index case was grandparents who were swimming indoors apparently)

I know that doesn't really help. lovely situation all around

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Will be coming home from vacation with covid. As is tradition.

Apr 7, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

US$100 plus international shipping US$184, at the current conversion rate that's AUS$440 lol

Clearly an amazing bargain but I think I might pass

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i want to make sure mags sees this, so i'm posting it here in the new covid thread. i don't know if she has me on ignore or super ignore or whatever, but let's put this :sam: poo poo to rest.

it absolutely was not my intent to misgender forums user mags; if someone corrected me and had provided the specific context of how I was misgendering her and I missed it, that's on me. I owned myself through rapid-fire, low-quality posting and not caring to read much of anything said in response, and I am deeply sorry for that, mags. everyone deserves to be addressed in the manner that suits their gender identity, even people cheering on the weird dollar store darth vader helmet-wearing, spirit halloween katana wielding costco prowling posters of the covid thread.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol it's a local news typo

primary source says 100.4

https://www.lausd.org/site/default....135624&PageID=1

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
fail apology started off ok but veered into cringe because you were embarrassed at your own sincerity. verdict is you suck at communism because you ignore material conditions in favor of vibes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

NeonPunk posted:

Guys, you want to be testing yourself whenever you feel off and immediately get paxlovid. It's all anecdotal I know, I've been reading on social media and one trend that popped out at me is that EG.5 (or whatever variant this is) has a nasty onset timing. Most people get a slight sore throat or tiny cough and test positive, but the symptoms are very mild so they thought it was nbd. Until around 5~ or 6~ days later, that's when the illness immediately hits you like a tsunami wave with severe symptoms. One described his throat being so sore and painful they can't even swallow water without being in pain

guess i need to test :rip: as soon as I get home from errands

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

fosborb posted:

our kids are in kf94s and they haven't caught it from school yet

(index case was grandparents who were swimming indoors apparently)

I know that doesn't really help. lovely situation all around

She was masking religiously but I don't think it's realistic on our part to think she's going to keep it up. She was the only kid in her middle school doing it so far this week and she's social butterflying hard atm - it was really alienating to her to do it in a way it wasn't last year.

I mean you can see the messaging from LA county now.

Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

lol it's a local news typo

primary source says 100.4

https://www.lausd.org/site/default....135624&PageID=1

People casually looking over the news before gong to work are going to see 104 F, they're going to tell everyone around them that kids aren't sick unless they're 104+, and in ten years it'll just be accepted wisdom and no one will remember where it came from.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ram dass in hell posted:

fail apology started off ok but veered into cringe because you were embarrassed at your own sincerity. verdict is you suck at communism because you ignore material conditions in favor of vibes.

you're far too generous, crazy cloud. i suck at everything.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Im in an airport without a mask for the first time since uhhh 2018?? It weird

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ram dass in hell posted:

Im in an airport without a mask for the first time since uhhh 2018?? It weird

WOW, eugenics much????????????????????

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CODChimera posted:

whatever happened with monkey pox?

These are the latest numbers:

It is mainly driven by China (which didn't have the initial wave) and I recall it being described as "endemic" in the US:

If anyone wants to have a look at the data, this is the WHO mpox hub:
https://worldhealthorg.shinyapps.io/mpx_global/

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People casually looking over the news before gong to work are going to see 104 F, they're going to tell everyone around them that kids aren't sick unless they're 104+, and in ten years it'll just be accepted wisdom and no on will remember where it came from.

when I hit 104 even as a kid that was fever dream territory

the school nurse will still be sending kids home as soon as that poo poo hits 100.5

of course, in our last district they were down to 1 nurse for every 3 schools, soooooo

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
dragged from the previous thread, they're suggesting a fever be the deciding factor for whether kids go to school or stay home, when Eris isn't giving people fevers.

quote:

"[The main symptoms of the new Omicron strain EG.5.1] are a sore throat, a runny nose, a blocked nose, sneezing, a cough without phlegm, a headache, a cough with phlegm, a hoarse voice, muscle aches and pains and an altered sense of smell.. However, shortness of breath, a loss of smell and a fever are no longer the main symptoms."

quote:

Fever is no longer the main symptom..

quote:

10 symptoms of Eris strain

Sore throat
Runny nose
Blocked nose
Sneezing
Dry cough
Headache
Wet cough
Hoarse voice
Muscle aches
Altered smell

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ten-symptoms-new-rising-covid-30643261

https://nitter.net/Yash25571056/status/1688356021964820481

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lib and let die posted:

do you have post covid brain damage

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

this is framed as good news/bad news but I think it’s more good news/business as usual. super hosed up variant doesn’t appear to be extremely fit but surprise there’s a new more fit minor variant

https://twitter.com/solidevidence/status/1691782805334749676

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

do you have post covid brain damage

nope, vaxed + gold star

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

not ruling out the possibility i was exposed to it at the court house yesterday though, so i'm going to be taking extra precautions

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you have pre-covid brain damage (italian)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

ibid posted:

dragged from the previous thread, they're suggesting a fever be the deciding factor for whether kids go to school or stay home, when Eris isn't giving people fevers.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ten-symptoms-new-rising-covid-30643261

https://nitter.net/Yash25571056/status/1688356021964820481

Sure, but there is no reason to consider COVID symptom changes since kids don't get COVID :smug:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hello new Covid thread. Good op.op.

Nitevision posted:

Still haven't been sick or tested poz despite domestic and international air travel to destinations of full suck and gently caress. I am more virile and full of fury than ever :cheers: Wear an Aura.
:same:
Blessed be my Aura.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

This is the EG.5 derivative with L452R.

Fun fact: L452R was the Christmas Tree Strain’s signature mutation.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

did anyone say Discendo Vox Nihili yet?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Lib and let die posted:

did anyone say Discendo Vox Nihili yet?

lmao

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

i wore a mask everywhere religiously even in places where I was the only one masking, to protect my grandparents and parents. Now all 4 grandparents and my dad are dead from covid but not covid i gave them. Neat!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Need to update your framing a bit. You don't wear your mask to protect others anymore. You wear a mask to protect yourself now

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

fosborb posted:

lol of course HHS's side-by-side comparison was updated in June and guidance on remdesivir updated late June and is not reflected

thanks for the heads up!

no worries, it’s hard to keep everything updated (as I have experienced from the google doc)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Need to update your framing a bit. You don't wear your mask to protect others anymore. You wear a mask to protect yourself now

Need to update your framing a bit. You don't wear your mask to protect yourself now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Youtuber physicsgirl has a horrifying long covid case
loving hell it's been 5 months since the last YouTube update,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydgkCCXbTA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you don't wear a mask now to build up an immunity to the things that would hurt your lungs so they are battle hardened

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Yash25571056/status/1691780115003482413

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

fosborb posted:

when I hit 104 even as a kid that was fever dream territory

the school nurse will still be sending kids home as soon as that poo poo hits 100.5

of course, in our last district they were down to 1 nurse for every 3 schools, soooooo

Yeah I think 104 is like heat stroke zone

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Already did that but they want an ~article~

God drat this thread moves fast. Three pages back but less than a day.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4721
"Only return to exercise after at least seven days free of symptoms, and begin with at least two weeks of minimal exertion"

This flowchart is... a lot, but good

Minimum 7 days at each phase, so 5 weeks after before going back to normal. It's a bit more than what folks are saying for 'take a whole month off' but I started wearing a heart rate monitor very regularly after COVID and logging all my exercise, tried to stay in the low zones for like 4 weeks before starting to ease back into it.

Still... not feeling great about heart health 9 months later.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
kmfdm95

is that anything

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1690353139004674048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you don't wear a mask now to build up an immunity to the things that would hurt your lungs so they are battle hardened

i smoked for 20 years, im immune to covid