Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for the reply. What's the current consensus on mixing and matching mRNA brands? Guessing there isn't any info for kids, but anything for adults?

mRNAs are mostly considered interchangeable by all public health institutions, but there are considerations (mainly by age):

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/faq.html posted:

Are mRNA COVID-19 vaccines from different manufacturers (Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech) interchangeable?
Use of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines interchangeably from different manufacturers (Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech) varies by recipient age, vaccination history, and vaccine product:
  • Ages 6 months–4 years: Children who are unvaccinated or previously received 1 or more doses of a monovalent mRNA vaccine are authorized to receive only bivalent mRNA vaccine dose(s) from the same vaccine manufacturer.
  • Age 5 years: Children who are unvaccinated or previously received 1 or more doses of:
    • Monovalent Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine are authorized to receive either bivalent Moderna or bivalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
    • Monovalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 are authorized to receive only bivalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.
  • Ages 6 years and older: People who are unvaccinated or previously received 1 or more doses of any monovalent COVID-19 vaccine are authorized to receive either bivalent Moderna or bivalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
For additional information, see Interchangeability of COVID-19 vaccines. The COVID-19 vaccination schedules for People who are not moderately or severely immunocompromised and People who are moderately or severely immunocompromised should be consulted for age-specific information; see also Appendix C for recommended actions following interchangeability-related errors or deviations in administration of COVID-19 vaccines.

This mainly comes down to what has or has not been tested for FDA approval.

As far as research goes, it is... complicated. This recent research is more or less incomprehensible, and when I read it, it was clear that the much more diverse infection and vaccination history makes clear conclusions difficult compared to earlier.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-40103-x posted:

Class switch towards spike protein-specific IgG4 antibodies after SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccination depends on prior infection history

Abstract
Vaccinations against SARS-CoV-2 reduce the risk of developing serious COVID-19 disease. Monitoring spike-specific IgG subclass levels after vaccinations may provide additional information on SARS-CoV-2 specific humoral immune response. Here, we examined the presence and levels of spike-specific IgG antibody subclasses in health-care coworkers vaccinated with vector- (Sputnik, AstraZeneca) or mRNA-based (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 and in unvaccinated COVID-19 patients. We found that vector-based vaccines elicited lower total spike-specific IgG levels than mRNA vaccines. The pattern of spike-specific IgG subclasses in individuals infected before mRNA vaccinations resembled that of vector-vaccinated subjects or unvaccinated COVID-19 patients. However, the pattern of mRNA-vaccinated individuals without SARS-CoV-2 preinfection showed a markedly different pattern. In addition to IgG1 and IgG3 subclasses presented in all groups, a switch towards distal IgG subclasses (spike-specific IgG4 and IgG2) appeared almost exclusively in individuals who received only mRNA vaccines or were infected after mRNA vaccinations. In these subjects, the magnitude of the spike-specific IgG4 response was comparable to that of the spike-specific IgG1 response. These data suggest that the priming of the immune system either by natural SARS-CoV-2 infection or by vector- or mRNA-based vaccinations has an important impact on the characteristics of the developed specific humoral immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:shuckyes:

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

Guys, you want to be testing yourself whenever you feel off and immediately get paxlovid. It's all anecdotal I know, I've been reading on social media and one trend that popped out at me is that EG.5 (or whatever variant this is) has a nasty onset timing. Most people get a slight sore throat or tiny cough and test positive, but the symptoms are very mild so they thought it was nbd. Until around 5~ or 6~ days later, that's when the illness immediately hits you like a tsunami wave with severe symptoms. One described his throat being so sore and painful they can't even swallow water without being in pain

this is what happened to me. I was only able to get pax later on, after practically begging my doctor. hopefully it still does something to help me clear the virus.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

dew worm posted:

this is what happened to me. I was only able to get pax later on, after practically begging my doctor. hopefully it still does something to help me clear the virus.

I am glad you got it in the end, even if it ended up being late :covidtree::respek::coronatoot:

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Pingui posted:

I am glad you got it in the end, even if it ended up being late :covidtree::respek::coronatoot:

thanks…I’m pissed for not advocating for myself more last week. but it was “mild”

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dew worm posted:

thanks…I’m pissed for not advocating for myself more last week. but it was “mild”

I was gonna ask after how you were faring

Also curious how Harik and family are. Have y’all avoided household spread?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Will be coming home from vacation with covid. As is tradition.

Important to stay positive imo

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I was gonna ask after how you were faring

Also curious how Harik and family are. Have y’all avoided household spread?

I still have a general "sick" feeling...waiting for more tests to deliver from amazon. I think a negative would help my mental health greatly. Thanks for asking.

Temiko
Aug 9, 2004
very good OP!

This is all just my opinion but I think it could use more emphasis on long COVID and masking.

I would put a long COVID bullet point first on the "information" list.

:covidtree: long covid will gently caress you up (why to avoid COVID)

even with vaccination, long COVID is a significant threat to long-term health and well being. verbatim from a recent CDC study:
  • long COVID includes a wide range of ongoing respiratory, neurologic, cardiovascular, and other symptoms that can last for weeks, months, or years following SARS-CoV-2 infection
  • estimates of long COVID incidence among nonhospitalized adults with COVID-19 range from 7.5% to 41%
  • more than one in four adults with long COVID reported significant activity limitations

The "what should i buy so i dont get covid" section is excellent. I think it should be second on the list because...

OP posted:

currently, the best ways to avoid long covid are to rest (seriously rest), to not have severe disease (see above) and to be one of the 90ish% of people who dont get long covid

...is kinda wrong? Per the CDC, "the best way to prevent Long COVID is to protect yourself and others from becoming infected." which of course means masking, ventilation, CR cubes, avoiding indoor eating and drinking, etc.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dew worm posted:

I still have a general "sick" feeling...waiting for more tests to deliver from amazon. I think a negative would help my mental health greatly. Thanks for asking.

hang in there, it was not particularly "funny in a haha way" but funny in a lmao way that I tested positive for nineteen? I think, straight days. was feeling better after about seven.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Will be coming home from vacation with covid. As is tradition.

You should go see Blue Beetle

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Demilich posted:

Yeah I've been looking for stuff related to post recovery sudden death & related information hoping it would ping something related, but there's been no dice as of yet

So its been suspected for awhile (casual perusal found studies as far back as 2004) that infections can raise the risk of cardiac events, even before covid, but it never really raised the alarms until, ya know, THE ENTIRE WORLD caught a novel disease that seemed tailor made to screw up your blood/blood vessels multiple times.

E.g.

quote:

Methods: We undertook within-person comparisons, using the case-series method, to study the risks of myocardial infarction and stroke after common vaccinations and naturally occurring infections. The study was based on the United Kingdom General Practice Research Database, which contains computerized medical records of more than 5 million patients.

Results: A total of 20,486 persons with a first myocardial infarction and 19,063 persons with a first stroke who received influenza vaccine were included in the analysis. There was no increase in the risk of myocardial infarction or stroke in the period after influenza, tetanus, or pneumococcal vaccination. However, the risks of both events were substantially higher after a diagnosis of systemic respiratory tract infection and were highest during the first three days (incidence ratio for myocardial infarction, 4.95; 95 percent confidence interval, 4.43 to 5.53; incidence ratio for stroke, 3.19; 95 percent confidence interval, 2.81 to 3.62). The risks then gradually fell during the following weeks. The risks were raised significantly but to a lesser degree after a diagnosis of urinary tract infection. The findings for recurrent myocardial infarctions and stroke were similar to those for first events.

Conclusions: Our findings provide support for the concept that acute infections are associated with a transient increase in the risk of vascular events. By contrast, influenza, tetanus, and pneumococcal vaccinations do not produce a detectable increase in the risk of vascular events.

A metastudy on post covid MI

quote:

Background: Few studies have analyzed the incidence and the risk of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) during the post-acute phase of COVID-19 infection.

Objective: To assess the incidence and risk of AMI in COVID-19 survivors after SARS-CoV-2 infection by a systematic review and meta-analysis of the available data.

Methods: Data were obtained searching MEDLINE and Scopus for all studies published at any time up to September 1, 2022 and reporting the risk of incident AMI in patients recovered from COVID-19 infection. AMI risk was evaluated using the Mantel-Haenszel random effects models with Hazard ratio (HR) as the effect measure with 95% confidence interval (CI) while heterogeneity was assessed using Higgins and Thomson I2 statistic.

Results: Among 2765 articles obtained by our search strategy, four studies fulfilled the inclusion criteria for a total of 20,875,843 patients (mean age 56.1 years, 59.1% males). Of them, 1,244,604 had COVID-19 infection. Over a mean follow-up of 8.5 months, among COVID-19 recovered patients AMI occurred in 3.5 cases per 1.000 individuals compared to 2.02 cases per 1.000 individuals in the control cohort, defined as those who did not experience COVID-19 infection in the same period). COVID-19 patients showed an increased risk of incident AMI (HR: 1.93, 95% CI: 1.65-2.26, p < 0.0001, I2 = 83.5%). Meta-regression analysis demonstrated that the risk of AMI was directly associated with age (p = 0.01) and male gender (p = 0.001), while an indirect relationship was observed when the length of follow-up was utilized as moderator (p < 0.001).

Conclusion: COVID-19 recovered patients had an increased risk of AMI.

Similar one for strokes and blood clots (this dude loves his metaanalyses)

quote:

Abstract

Data regarding the occurrence of venous thromboembolic events (VTE), including acute pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in recovered COVID-19 patients are scant. We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis to assess the risk of acute PE and DVT in COVID-19 recovered subject. Following the PRIMSA guidelines, we searched Medline and Scopus to locate all articles published up to September 1st, 2022, reporting the risk of acute PE and/or DVT in patients recovered from COVID-19 infection compared to non-infected patients who developed VTE over the same follow-up period. PE and DVT risk were evaluated using the Mantel-Haenszel random effects models with Hazard ratio (HR) as the effect measure with 95% confidence interval (CI) while heterogeneity was assessed using Higgins I2 statistic. Overall, 29.078.950 patients (mean age 50.2 years, 63.9% males), of which 2.060.496 had COVID-19 infection, were included. Over a mean follow-up of 8.5 months, the cumulative incidence of PE and DVT in COVID-19 recovered patients were 1.2% (95% CI:0.9-1.4, I2: 99.8%) and 2.3% (95% CI:1.7-3.0, I2: 99.7%), respectively. Recovered COVID-19 patients presented a higher risk of incident PE (HR: 3.16, 95% CI: 2.63-3.79, I2 = 90.1%) and DVT (HR: 2.55, 95% CI: 2.09-3.11, I2: 92.6%) compared to non-infected patients from the general population over the same follow-up period. Meta-regression showed a higher risk of PE and DVT with age and with female gender, and lower risk with longer follow-up. Recovered COVID-19 patients have a higher risk of VTE events, which increase with aging and among females.

A review of post-covid cardiovascular complications and possible treatments
Too much to quote here but a lot of data on risks after infection. Money shot is:

quote:

In addition, intense, vigorous exercise, weightlifting, and competitive sports or aerobic activity should be avoided for 3–6 months until resolution of myocardial inflammation by CMR, or troponin normalization is recommended for patients with myocarditis due to COVID-19 (Fig. ​(Fig.3)3) [9, 195].

American College of Cardiology recommendations for returning to exercise post-covid (its a pdf lol)

quote:

Asymptomatic (Subclinical) Myocardial Involvement
Asymptomatic myocardial involvement has been reported following SARS-CoV-2 infection (eg, following CMR screening of athletes as part of a RTP protocol). Because most asymptomatic individuals do not undergo cardiac testing, however, this group is likely to be quite
small. Recognizing that the long-term consequences of this condition are not known, it is still reasonable to manage these individuals expectantly, with instruction to share any worrisome symptoms or signs (eg, chest pain, shortness of breath, syncope, edema) should they
occur. For those interested in resuming physical activity, further recommendations are provided in the RTP section.

RTP section:
For individuals with mild non-cardiopulmonary symptoms, exercise training should generally be withheld until symptom resolution. One exception is isolated anosmia or ageusia, which may have a more prolonged course. For athletes with cardiopulmonary symptoms, intense exercise training should be limited until symptoms resolve, self-isolation is complete, and further cardiac testing can be obtained. In addition, a graded RTP regimen should be emphasized in all individuals with prior COVID-19 to ensure close monitoring for new cardiopulmonary symptoms. For those participating in organized competitive sports, graded exercise programs should be individualized and implemented, with support by athletic trainers and primary care sports medicine clinicians. For most individuals participating in high-level recreational athletics, a graded return-to-exercise program equates to more qualitative gradual increases in effort. This remains a point of key emphasis, as many high-level recreational exercise enthusiasts do not have immediate access to cardiac testing and sports cardiology referrals, regardless of symptom severity.

And another scientific article from last year that describes what returning to exercise should look like depending on how severe your infection.

quote:

Symptom burden is the key. Cases that are asymptomatic at time of testing positive, may develop symptoms over subsequent days. Where individuals have significant symptoms, they should rest and avoid exercise. Those who remain asymptomatic or whose symptoms have resolved or diminished, can commence a graded return to pre-infection activity levels. Resumption of exercise is based on the exercise habits of the individual, prior to infection. As a starting point, individuals should attempt 15 to 30 min of exercise at about 50 % of the intensity that they were used to, prior to infection. If this is well-tolerated, the same should be repeated for the subsequent two days (Days 2 & 3). All going well, exercise intensity can then be increased to about 75 % of the intensity that the individual was used to, prior to infection, from Day 4. The duration can also be increased to 30 or more minutes. If well-tolerated, this again should be repeated on the two subsequent days (Days 5 & 6). If there has been absolutely no adverse response to attempted exercise, the individual could consider resumption of normal pre-COVID-19 exercise habits from Day 7 (see Fig. 1). In elite sport, where athletes have the benefit of close medical supervision, the number of days that each step may be modified. Any unusual exercise intolerance should trigger a pause for 24–48 h, before resuming a graded increase in activity. Persistent exercise intolerance warrants a medical review.

If by 30 days post-infection, an individual is having persistent difficulty with attempted return to pre-infection exercise levels, then review by a medical practitioner for a possible cardiac assessment is recommended, including consideration of ECG, cardiac biomarkers and echocardiography. However, it is possible to have a reduced exercise capacity as part of “Long COVID” even in the presence of a completely normal cardiac workup.26

While myocarditis and other cardiac conditions related to COVID-19 are rare, any cardiac symptoms such as pressure, tightness, squeezing pain in chest, arms, neck jaw or back, cold sweat, difficulty breathing, collapse or sudden dizziness, whether occurring during exercise or at rest, should be treated as a medical emergency.
This article puts the above in layman's terms rather nicely.

quote:

GoodRx health

Home
Health Conditions
Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Exercise After COVID: How to Safely Get Back to Your Normal Workout
Brian Clista, MD
Patricia Pinto-Garcia, MD, MPH
Written by Brian Clista, MD | Reviewed by Patricia Pinto-Garcia, MD, MPH
Published on January 9, 2023

Key takeaways:

People with mild COVID illness can safely return to their usual workout routine within 7 to 14 days.

It’s best to return to exercise gradually. Experts recommend starting at 50% of your usual routine and increasing activity every 3 days until you reach your pre-illness baseline.

People who experienced more severe COVID illness should not start exercising again without clearance from their healthcare providers.

A young woman is working out with a personal trainer and kettlebells. Both of them are wearing face masks.
DuxX/iStock via Getty Images

Getting sick with COVID-19 isn’t easy. Whether you had a mild illness or needed significant support, you’re excited to feel better and get back to your normal life.

Once the quarantine period is over, many people can’t wait to get back to their usual workouts. While exercise can boost your physical and mental wellness, you’ll want to ease yourself back into your usual routine after COVID illness. Here’s how to safely get back to exercising.
How do you know you’re fully recovered from COVID?

It probably seems obvious that you shouldn’t go back to working out until you’re fully recovered. But knowing whether you’ve recovered can be tricky.

It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to fully recover from COVID, depending on how sick you are and whether you have any underlying medical conditions.

Most people are fully recovered once they no longer have any symptoms of COVID illness, like:

Fever

Chills

Cough

Nasal congestion or runny nose

Headache

Sore throat

Nausea or vomiting

Diarrhea

Body aches

Shortness of breath with activity

If you lose your sense of taste or smell, don’t worry if it’s taking a while to come back. This symptom can last for weeks, and experts don’t count it as part of recovery.

You also need to be able to do your usual activities, like:

Walking around the house or outside

Preparing food and eating

Bathing and completing basic grooming

If these basic activities make you feel tired or give you a fast heart rate or trouble breathing, then you’re not fully recovered from COVID — even if all your other symptoms have gone away.
Does a negative COVID-test result mean your body is ready to exercise?

Not necessarily. A negative test means you are longer shedding the COVID virus. But your body may still be feeling the effects of the illness.
Is it OK to work out if you’re past your quarantine period but still have COVID symptoms?

Probably not. Once you’re past your quarantine period, you probably are not contagious with COVID. That means it’s safe for other people to be around while you’re working out. But that doesn’t mean that it’s safe for you to work out. You should wait until you’re fully recovered to start exercising again.
When is it safe to start exercising after having COVID?

Once you’re no longer contagious with COVID and you are fully recovered, you can use the American Academy of Cardiology (AAC) consensus guidelines to figure out when to return to exercise.

These guidelines are for adults only — there are separate children’s guidelines on how to safely return to sports and physical activity.

Before you can use the guidelines, you’ll need to know the type of COVID illness you had. The types of COVID illness are:

Asymptomatic: You had asymptomatic illness if you had a positive COVID test but didn’t experience any COVID symptoms.

Mild illness: You had mild COVID illness if you had symptoms like cough, sore throat, and fever — but you didn't have any trouble breathing or unusual findings on a chest X-ray (if you had one).

Moderate illness: You had moderate illness if COVID attacked your lungs and you developed a lower respiratory tract infection like COVID pneumonia. You also had moderate illness if COVID worsened an underlying lung condition like asthma or COPD.

Severe illness: You had severe illness if COVID attacked your lungs and you also needed oxygen therapy to help you recover. You were likely cared for in a hospital.

Critical illness: You had critical illness if you needed help breathing from a ventilator or other type of device when you were sick with COVID. COVID may have also affected other organs in your body, not just your lungs. You may have needed care in an intensive care unit.

Now that you know which type of illness you had, here’s a breakdown of when you can get back to working out.
When is it safe to exercise after asymptomatic COVID illness?

You can start exercising again after 3 days of rest. You should gradually return to your usual pre-illness activity. You don’t need to see a healthcare provider before returning to your usual activity unless you have an underlying medical condition.

Stop exercising if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, chest pounding, or irregular heartbeat. You should also stop if you feel like you're going to faint. Don’t start exercising again until you see your healthcare provider.
When is it safe to exercise after mild or moderate COVID illness?

You need to get the OK from your healthcare provider before getting back to working out if you had moderate COVID illness or if you had mild illness and have an underlying medical condition.

You can start exercising after all of your COVID symptoms resolve. You need to gradually return to your usual pre-illness activity levels.

Stop exercising if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, chest pounding, or irregular heartbeat. You should also stop if you feel like you're going to faint. Don’t start exercising again until you see your healthcare provider.
When is it safe to exercise after severe or critical COVID illness?

Do not exercise until you’ve had a full evaluation by a cardiologist. You will need an ECG (electrocardiogram), echocardiogram, and blood tests to make sure your heart is healthy after your COVID illness. If these tests are normal, your cardiologist will give you a plan to follow on how to gradually return to your usual activity level.

Stop exercising if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, chest pounding, or irregular heartbeat. You should also stop if you feel like you're going to faint. Don’t start exercising again until you see your cardiologist.
How do you gradually get back into working out after COVID?

Experts recommend that adults “gradually” return to activity after having COVID. Unfortunately, there’s no exact parameters for what this means. In general, you want to start slowly and build up the time and intensity of your exercise.

Experts also recommend starting with recumbent activities first — like cycling and rowing. These sitting activities make you less likely to experience any dizziness until your body adjusts to exercise again.

A graduated exercise routine can look like this:

Start at 50% of your usual exercise intensity for 15 minutes for 3 days.

Increase to 75% of your usual exercise intensity for 15 minutes for 3 days.

Increase to 100% of your usual exercise intensity for 15 minutes for 3 days.

Increase your exercise time by 15 minutes every 3 days until you’re back at your baseline.

As you go through each stage, pay close attention to your body. Stop exercising right away if you develop chest pain, shortness of breath, chest pounding, or irregular heartbeat. And be sure to stop if you feel like you’re going to faint.

Don’t push through your symptoms, and don’t keep advancing your activity. You should see a healthcare provider as soon as possible and wait for their “all clear” before going back to working out.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
no positive yet :stoked: hopefully this dry throat is just my mom's second hand smoke.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Covid ftw :evilbuddy:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

You should go see Blue Beetle

probably the safest movie to watch because nobody else will be in the cinema to give you covid

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Buffer posted:

She was masking religiously but I don't think it's realistic on our part to think she's going to keep it up. She was the only kid in her middle school doing it so far this week and she's social butterflying hard atm - it was really alienating to her to do it in a way it wasn't last year.

I mean you can see the messaging from LA county now.

Good for her. Try and make a deal with her that she masks for the first two weeks of school and sees what happens with cases/absences. Its quite possible once a ton of kids/teachers are out or showing up coughing up a lung masking might increase enough for her to feel comfortable (or alternately to show her she didn't get sick like literally everyone around her so it works).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tested positive for covid this morning but im going in anyway because i dont want to use my sick time unless i really need it. i think theyre all vaxxed and i can do my best to avoid my coworker with lupis. it really sucks because i have baseball tickets for tonight, and i wont be able to cheer as hard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

probably the safest movie to watch because nobody else will be in the cinema to give you covid

this was my experience seeing the first film id seen since covid started: nic cage's renfield

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

tested positive for covid this morning but im going in anyway because i dont want to use my sick time unless i really need it. i think theyre all vaxxed and i can do my best to avoid my coworker with lupis. it really sucks because i have baseball tickets for tonight, and i wont be able to cheer as hard

you gotta live ur life

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

Make sure you wash your hands!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Oracle posted:

Good for her. Try and make a deal with her that she masks for the first two weeks of school and sees what happens with cases/absences. Its quite possible once a ton of kids/teachers are out or showing up coughing up a lung masking might increase enough for her to feel comfortable (or alternately to show her she didn't get sick like literally everyone around her so it works).

This is a really great idea, thanks. She knows mask work, she's just feeling some stigma and awkwardness from being the only one wearing one.

Setting it up as a bargain with an end date might help her resolve that conflict.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
getting your betters infected is praxis

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A friend of mine said he just got his second bivalent booster last week, and that this time Asthma is an acceptable reason to get it (he had to fight last time). Maybe I should go and get one now, I didn't know they were officially giving out second bivalent boosters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

redreader posted:

A friend of mine said he just got his second bivalent booster last week, and that this time Asthma is an acceptable reason to get it (he had to fight last time). Maybe I should go and get one now, I didn't know they were officially giving out second bivalent boosters.

isn't a new one coming out in a couple months? I'd wait until it's out unless it's going to be gatekeeped.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Coming out at the end of next month infact

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

isn't a new one coming out in a couple months? I'd wait until it's out unless it's going to be gatekeeped.

Delivery is set for end of September; eligibility is yet to be defined.

Edit to add the reason things are still so up in the air, 1 month before potential kick-off:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1690885431980965888

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Aug 16, 2023

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Al! posted:

I think you’ll find people these days are more accepting of public coughing compared to a few years ago. 3 years ago one of my coworkers coughed due to smoking too much weed on break and they sent him home pending a negative pcr test, but I had something back in the spring and was coughing away at my desk and nobody so much as batted an eye!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/long-covid-rylee-joyce-august-9-2023

16 and living with Long COVID: When I first got the walker I cried posted:

Rylee was diagnosed with long COVID more than a year and a half ago.

Most of the time, the 16-year-old is so exhausted from the condition she requires a walker to get around.

“When I first got the walker I cried. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I’m going to look 80!’ And I still do," Rylee said. “If I didn’t have hope it would just be so sad, I’m not going to lie. I’ve had people tell me: ‘It’s going to go away in your 20s.’ I’m like 20s! Excuse you. What?! That long.”

In January 2022, Rylee got infected with COVID-19 for a second time. The following month, the symptoms of Long COVID began.

It's a good thing kids almost never catch COVID or we'd be hosed- wait...they what?!?

quote:

Many of the young people Stevens has worked with show the classic signs of Long COVID, but persistent fatigue and brain fog appear to be recurring indicators, she said.

"Exercise fatigue, like kids that were athletes we see this a lot. We have a kid that was a rower, and he can’t row anymore because he can’t catch his breath, or walk up stairs," Stevens said. "At school, brain fog is a really huge thing. We’re seeing a lot of kids having to get IEPs and special circumstances to take tests at school because they just get too tired to take tests.”

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LentThem posted:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/long-covid-rylee-joyce-august-9-2023

It's a good thing kids almost never catch COVID or we'd be hosed- wait...they what?!?

:d2a:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fartman posted:

I think you’ll find people these days are more accepting of public coughing compared to a few years ago. 3 years ago one of my coworkers coughed due to smoking too much weed on break and they sent him home pending a negative pcr test, but I had something back in the spring and was coughing away at my desk and nobody so much as batted an eye!

as long as you cover your cough with your hand you should be fine

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al! posted:

i smoked for 20 years, im immune to covid

when was your last booster?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

What long covid treatments exist that are any good?

Because of how different Long Covid is for everyone (100+ different symptoms), you typically need to find a doctor willing to do trial and error. That said, I've really only heard of one thing that's effective at reducing PEM/PESE, the definitively worst Long Covid Symptom: anti-coags. Unfortunately, these are still being studied and not readily available for long haulers unless you happen to ping on a d dimer. Unfortunately, long covid is resulting in amyloid microclotting, which typically doesn't register. There are also likely other mechanisms at work here as some people regress after stopping anti-coags. All of this is anecdotal and waiting on more robust trials, but Dr Resia Pretoria (South Africa) has published several papers in this area. The Putrino Lab (NY) has also gotten on board.

Beyond that, everyone responds to long covid and medications differently. Here are some things that can help relieve symptoms (ask your doctor before taking these)

SSRIs/SNRIs: covid passes the brain barrier and can cause swelling in the brain. This is one of the factors that leads to brain fog. Personally, I noticed a huge difference getting on Duloxetine and live a mostly brain fog free existence, even after getting off Duloxetine, unless I trigger PEM. These drugs come with a lot of risks and can permanently reroute things in your brain, so are not to be taken lightly.

Antihistamines: MCAS like symptoms are common in long covid patients. The whole range of these work on different parts. I rotate between Claritin and Zyrtec every few months. I avoid benadryl because of studies linking it to dementia. Lesser known T2 antihistamines (Famotidine) also help. I was on PPIs for months until my doctor suggested these because my stomach was in constant pain without PPIs. These helped me transition off, but every now and then things flare up and I need another 2 week course.

PPIs: stomach issues are common post covid and these can help reduce problems while you look for answers. Long term these are not good solutions, you can gently caress up your body being on these long term.

Vitamins: ok this one is a bit dumb, but take a multi. Also you can develop deficiencies in D or B vitamins after covid. Get your levels tested. I also find Niacin is helpful for some of my less common symptoms (generic skin sensitivity/pain).

Things with anti-inflammatory properties. Google this, but we're talking turmeric and other things that just help tamp down inflammation. Also avoiding high inflammation things. Work on eating healthier and it will help everything a little bit.

Marijuana. I take about 2mg (edible) daily for pain management, in the evening. It also helps me sleep at night (sleep issues are common). Take too much though, and your HR might spike, so be careful (POTS and POTS-like symptoms are common with post viral issues).

Recommended to avoid:

Exertion. You've seen me mention PEM. just...take it easy. Learn how to pace. This is the most important skill in a long haulers playbook. Learn your triggers and avoid them. Do less today so that you aren't destroyed tomorrow.

Alcohol. Some people can tolerate some, but most long haulers discover it's a trigger. I get hangover symptoms shortly after about 2 beers.

High histamine foods: this one will vary by person a lot more, but try to figure out if certain foods are triggering worse symptoms. Tomatoes, chocolate, strawberries, and fermented foods are at the top of this list, so seeing if you are sensitive to those things will usually tell you. Histamines in food function pretty fast, so eliminate these for 2 weeks if you want to try.

Most importantly, don't get covid again. We only have informal survey data on this (that I'm aware), but as far as we know, long haulers are more likely to get worse (~60% of respondents) than stay the same or get better. Additional infections can worsen existing symptoms or add new ones.

Temiko posted:

This is all just my opinion but I think it could use more emphasis on long COVID and masking.

Seconding this. Also serious disease is not related to long covid. It is connected with organ damage so get that checked out, but not the "why can't I get out of bed today" long covid symptoms.

Here's a list of common LC symptoms I pulled from NHS

quote:

extreme tiredness (fatigue), feeling short of breath, loss of smell, muscle aches, brain fog, chest pain or tightness, difficulty sleeping (insomnia), heart palpitations, dizziness, pins and needles, joint pain, depression and anxiety, tinnitus, earaches,feeling sick, diarrhoea, stomach aches, loss of appetite, a high temperature, cough, headaches, sore throat, changes to sense of smell or taste, rashes

Extreme tiredness/fatigue doesn't really explain it.

Here's a well written article from the Atlantic about how bad that can be.

Fos, feel free to steal any of this for OP.

Malgrin has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Aug 16, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Al! posted:

assuming sincerity for the work bit, I'm sorry you are in a work environment where you are not able to follow the CDCs guidance of quarantining at home for 5 days. work sucks and I'd be pissed if I was your coworker

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You should set up shop in the office of whoever it is that mandated return to office, imo

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’m here to spread covid and steal vaginoplasty valor. And I’m all out of valor.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's not really stealing if you need it

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fartman posted:

:crnasickos:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

genericnick posted:

Important to stay positive imo
[COVID-19] Important to stay positive

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Remdesivir trip report: pain in the rear end to get (3.5 hours day 1 and 2 hours day 2) and will give you diarrhea like you have never experienced in your life, but seems to work pretty well? 2/3 days done, after day 1 was still getting worse but feeling not at all sick today other than well, see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tzen posted:

[COVID-19] Important to stay positive