Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fridge corn posted:

Any hot tips for throne of eldraine draft? Never played the set. Went in blind and came out with a sorta half knights/half food white/black deck. Have no idea what I'm doing hehe :witch:
I listened to this yesterday:
https://www.lordsoflimited.com/episodes/50-eld-takes-in-50-minutes-episode-130
Might be helpful.

Of what I remember:
- all color pairs and mono-colored decks are viable and competitive
- identifying the open lane is thus mega important
- black has the best removal (Bake Into a Pie) and the second best Black card is also removal (forgot the name), but then its commons become much more shallow so be wary if the color looks contested, you might not get what you want from it
- the Mill deck with the Merfolk is a thing, however it was mostly a meme on Arena because back then there were only bot drafts and bots didn't pick the rando blue common highly at all, so you could end up with 4-5. On MTGO, where there was actual pod drafting, people contested it and it was much worse. However, this time around with people less attuned to the format, maybe it's a thing again?
- there's a bunch of fun build-around rares and uncommons, e.g. of the latter Lucky Clover, and you can absolutely do funky decks (but maybe shouldn't the first time around)
- speaking of Lucky Clover, if you copy e.g. the Adventure Counterspell, the copy will counter the opp's spell, then the actual card will have no target and fizzle, putting the Adventure creature into the GY instead of Exile to be cast later. Same goes for the Graveyard recursion Adventure, if you copy that with only once target in the GY, whoops the actual card fizzles. Generally be aware of how Adventure works (I wouldn't have been)
- all Adventure combat tricks are super playable, but non-adventure combat tricks can ALSO be just what you need. For example mono-G aggro is a working deck but you really want a Trample trick to finish the game
- always be aware of opp's open mana because they WILL have a trick, but of course if you have a re-trick it can be devastating, so look for opportunities to break combat in your favor
- a pitfall of mono-G specifically is ending up with a top-heavy curve and no early drops, e.g. there's the hybrid Simic turtle that rewards costly spells, they don't like that one even though they love Simic because you can have super clunky hands and Just Die
- aggro strategies work well, don't be afraid to go heavy on white critters + trick backup (that turn into more creatures)
- the pro-white flier is disgusting in a format where mono-W can be a thing tho
- never ever play the land that taps for Mardu mana but only for Knights
- generally there's going to be a lot of good decks that end up with a 13-5 or 14-4 manabase, mostly mono but splashing good poo poo of a second color, and only one second color, please. Yes, that's 18 lands because e.g. your splash can be Bake Into a Pie (2BB) so you really want to draw that second Swamp. Ofc you don't go 18 lands on an aggro deck, but in an Izzet spells deck with heavy looting? Sure
- speaking of that archetype, super uncommon and rare-dependent, don't go into it because you open an okay R or B "draw 2" payoff
- if you want to go multicolor goodstuff, you CAN, probably with a Simic base (generally they like the archetype a lot but they are "gently caress around" players so maybe not the best newbie idea)
- Rares that have BBB or other heavy color dependent casting costs are not a great first pick because it kinda forces you to go heavy on that color, and see above re: B being kinda shallow specifically, might not be the best idea
- Syr Konrad is a mythic uncommon
- creature size does matter, there's few big ones and lots of smaller ones that come a bit off-curve (because you often want to cast them after their Adventure), so a card like the 3 mana 3/3 (if you only spend a single color of mana on it) Artifact Creature is actually p good, or the 5 Mana 5/5 (if you were G adamant)
- Golden Egg is a top pick because it allows you to do so, so much. Generally a lot of the artifacts are better than they seem because they turn on so many strategies, smooth out manabases, etc.

I'm sure I forgot a few but those seemed the most memorable and relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

flatluigi posted:

lotr premier should still be available, since they never retire the 'current set'

yeah I took a look on the events calendar and that appears to be the case but... no quick draft for 2 weeks?!?! what are us slow brained people supposed to do in the meantime :(

**Oh just listening to all the new podcasts previewing the new set could probably take up a good chunk of it

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 15, 2023

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

If anyone is looking for a fresh deck for Standard, I have been cruising so far with Orzhov toxic. Currently in Diamond 1

Untapped link

I guess I can just flop my Untapped profile out here for everyone to make fun of.

Only super brutal beat has been Temporary Lockdown, exiles dudes and Hives.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'll give it a spin next time I'm doin' dalies.

Didn't have a good source of white handy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'll give it a spin next time I'm doin' dalies.

Didn't have a good source of white handy.

actually I hear handies can be a good source of white :swish:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Very happy to see Blood Moon coming to Arena. lol, nevermind

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1691515167111000064?s=20

quote:

Due to the nightmares they may cause, we will be proactively banning the #MTGEldraine cards below in Historic Constructed formats:
🌕 Blood Moon
💰 Land Tax
💀 Necropotence
⚔️ Sneak Attack
🌊 Spreading Seas

Still legal in historic brawl, but not the same. Also say in a reply there's one more pre-emptive ban coming on an as-yet unrevealed card.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm beginning to think the normalization of Bo1 over Bo3 has become a problem.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

Still legal in historic brawl, but not the same. Also say in a reply there's one more pre-emptive ban coming on an as-yet unrevealed card.

WotC are a bunch of cowards

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Beseech the Mirror looks bonkers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Judgy Fucker posted:

historic remains garbage....

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did an Eldraine Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c28748fbd7064f40a46e82b1d76bdc4c

Tried following the advice I listened to earlier, and ended up actually in the deck I've heard a lot about : Simic. Blue was more open than green, but I got a few Adventure spells with an Innkeeper as excellent synergy. I got a bit of a controlly rampy thing going on, tapping and countering until I got enough resources to play big stuff to hopefully overwhelm them.

Or, you know, play the luckiest card ever in the Pack 2 Oko, just fitting my colors perfectly, no big deal.

Happy to hear if some of my evaluations in the spur of the moment were dead wrong - there's not too much data on 17lands right now, and I feel like the numbers are inflated a lot by veterans returning, everything seems to win way high!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oh yeah, definitely gonna listen to this.

Has the draft preorder bundle always only included 2 draft tokens and 1 sealed? I thought you used to get 3 draft tokens but perhaps I'm misremembering

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The limited bundle used to include the mastery pass which had a "free" draft token early on in the leveling. They separated that into its own bundle

newershadow
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

Oh yeah, definitely gonna listen to this.

Has the draft preorder bundle always only included 2 draft tokens and 1 sealed? I thought you used to get 3 draft tokens but perhaps I'm misremembering

It was 3 draft tokens/1 sealed when it was at the $50 price point and included the mastery pass (ex: Dom U, BRO). It changed to 2 draft/1 sealed when it moved to $25 and they split off the mastery pass into its own $15 thing (ex: ONE, MOM, LOTR)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I still find the $50 pack bundle amusing. Couldn't be bothered to add anything to it to make it worth more than just buying the packs straight besides one free mythic. Whoopie doo.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I still find the $50 pack bundle amusing. Couldn't be bothered to add anything to it to make it worth more than just buying the packs straight besides one free mythic. Whoopie doo.

It's slightly discounted. For the same price you would get 9,200 gems, which would get you 46 packs.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's slightly discounted. For the same price you would get 9,200 gems, which would get you 46 packs.

yeah, it's the same price per pack as buying $100 worth of gems. Which according to the game is the best deal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wake up, babe. New Generous Gift just dropped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

WotC are a bunch of cowards

Most Arena players have never played a format with those cards, and there's not really a format equivalent to historic in paper. Really annoying they won't even give us like a drat week to play with these things. Of all the nurso crap allowed in the format it's pretty weak to not even give these a novelty chance. Arena meta and plays might sort some crap out around those cards to avoid the problems they had before. If not, then they can hit the bail button.

Also are these unplayable cards something we still have to get in packs? Lol at giving us banned cards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Khanstant posted:

Most Arena players have never played a format with those cards, and there's not really a format equivalent to historic in paper. Really annoying they won't even give us like a drat week to play with these things. Of all the nurso crap allowed in the format it's pretty weak to not even give these a novelty chance. Arena meta and plays might sort some crap out around those cards to avoid the problems they had before. If not, then they can hit the bail button.

Also are these unplayable cards something we still have to get in packs? Lol at giving us banned cards

the prebanned cards show up in non-draft packs after you collect all the other cards in the set, and show up normally (and are playable!) in limited formats

also they did try to just let cards live on arena when they didn't preban brainstorm and it was as miserable as expected

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like this is the perfect place for some Alchemy Nonsense- ban the cards in Bo1, keep them legal in Bo3

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Land tax and necro are fine to ban. Ban necro in h brawl please.

Sneak attack I can see being a problem, but with how little fast mana there is I'd give it a go and if its a problem then axe it.

Blood moon would fine imo, punish the 4-5 color bullshit out there. Danning spreading seas is just stupid.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Blood moon being banned at least weakly suggests they're not going to bring the fetchlands into historic with Khans. So I guess it's at least a good sign for the "historic should have its own identity" people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Orcish Bowmasters should allow for the unbanning of Brainstorm

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
hey quick question, is there additional "end of season" rewards for rank acheivements in seperate game modes? Or is it like Hearthstone where it just takes your highest rank in any format and gives you the rewards for that rank?

I know it's not a huge amount of gold or packs but it always annoyed me about HS that there was literally no incentive for investing time into more than one game mode..

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Starsfan posted:

hey quick question, is there additional "end of season" rewards for rank acheivements in seperate game modes? Or is it like Hearthstone where it just takes your highest rank in any format and gives you the rewards for that rank?

I know it's not a huge amount of gold or packs but it always annoyed me about HS that there was literally no incentive for investing time into more than one game mode..
There's separate Constructed and Limited Ranks and also rewards for them. You can check your ranks in your Profile tab, and it will tell you when the season ends and what the rank rewards are. There's no extra rewards for, say, doing well in HBrawl or whatever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also within those two categories, it doesn't matter what mode you play. Ranked Standard, Ranked Explorer and Ranked Alchemy all contribute to the same Constructed rank, while Ranked LotR draft, Ranked Throne of Eldraine draft etc. all contribute to the same Limited rank.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Orcish Bowmasters should allow for the unbanning of Brainstorm
or, better idea, ban orcish bowmasters and keep brainstorm banned too

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spreading Seas would make Historic Merfolk a deck and we can't have that here smh (I have no idea if there are islandwalking merfolk on arena)

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Kashuno posted:

Spreading Seas would make Historic Merfolk a deck and we can't have that here smh (I have no idea if there are islandwalking merfolk on arena)

Yeah there is Master of the pearl Trident. It's a functional deck that can sneak quick wins.

And if orcish bowmasters are sticking around DRC should be bumped up to 2 toughness. Still dies to every 2 damage spell but doesn't make her a huge liability.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 16, 2023

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Deck for the pauper historic midweek:

Deck

14 Plains (LTR) 263
10 Island (LTR) 265

4 Soul Warden (M10) 34
4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
2 Sandsteppe Outcast (J21) 21
3 Man-o'-War (MH1) 55
2 Icewind Stalwart (HBG) 93
1 Dwarven Priest (M19) 11
4 Mulldrifter (J21) 38
1 Salvager of Secrets (M19) 70
3 Soul of Migration (MH2) 33

4 Patriar's Humiliation (HBG) 25
4 Cloudshift (JMP) 97
4 Momentary Blink (TSP) 29

Just absurd. Flickering an evoked Soul of Migration feels like the strongest thing you can be doing. Patriar's Humiliation seems like the best option for removal, especially since the only deck I felt threatened by was the lifegain deck that stacked the black creatures that drained you.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

there are, and I remember seeing a mono blue decklist that played 0 islands (or maybe 1 in case of ghost quarter/boseiju/etc) and just used all the blue Pathways so it wouldn't get islandwalked on

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kurash posted:

Just absurd. Flickering an evoked Soul of Migration feels like the strongest thing you can be doing. Patriar's Humiliation seems like the best option for removal, especially since the only deck I felt threatened by was the lifegain deck that stacked the black creatures that drained you.

I just played against a similar deck, but my madness deck has enough removal and tricks to keep them from comboing.

Also I tried good old mono-u ninjas, and everybody resigned the moment I play the card draw ninja.

e: just tried your deck, and I feel like I should swap some more islands for plains.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I won it at least once with mostly rat colony and swamps. The laziest pauper

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I won it at least once with mostly rat colony and swamps. The laziest pauper

This is always the best option. 4x echoing return, whole bunch of rats. :getin:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I knew it as soon as I saw the preview but they revealed the last historic pre-ban is Intruder Alarm

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1691855881745596910?s=46&t=Bqgt1aG9RGmw0XXcWEazsg

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kurash posted:

Deck

14 Plains (LTR) 263
10 Island (LTR) 265
4 Soul Warden (M10) 34
4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
2 Sandsteppe Outcast (J21) 21
3 Man-o'-War (MH1) 55
2 Icewind Stalwart (HBG) 93
1 Dwarven Priest (M19) 11
4 Mulldrifter (J21) 38
1 Salvager of Secrets (M19) 70
3 Soul of Migration (MH2) 33
4 Patriar's Humiliation (HBG) 25
4 Cloudshift (JMP) 97
4 Momentary Blink (TSP) 29

This has supplanted mono-u ninjas as my favorite Historic Pauper deck. It is gross as heck. For some reason it made a mono-w lifegain player extremely salty as it was much more efficient at gaining life and they spammed the sleeping hedron emote at me lol.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How does the blink deck deal with the bogles deck?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VictualSquid posted:

counterspells

i do think historic has some nontargeted bounces like river's rebuke but i don't know all of them or how playable they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

VictualSquid posted:

Swing for lethal - bounce your creature that gets blocked by the lifelinker.