Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

err posted:

i know yer mom died but we need to get these tourists out to see the reefs

*leans into ear*

Sir... about the reefs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's back!

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1691864270579921173

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Subvisual Haze posted:

Not insulin specifically, but there is secondhand market of diabetic testing supplies. Pay your medicare or insurance copay for the testing supplies, resell the unopened boxes to one of the various websites for a profit. Remarkably it doesn't even seem to be illegal.
let's not ignore that it's a "good thing" that this is happening (under capitalism). People can't afford retail for supplies, people with functioning insurance get more than they need and rather than the extra being wasted it's being put to good use. Better would be free for everyone but this is hellworld so people find ways of making it slightly less poo poo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Popoto posted:

The free market to the rescue! THE SYSTEM WORKS!

The fires were started by developers so they could get cheap land :tinfoil:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"visitor industry" :goofy:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tsitsikovas posted:

this happens way too often in greece after every fire season - wherever there's a fire a villa will spring up a few short years later. There are plenty of rumors/anecdotes/stories of the fires being set by land speculators to destroy the forest and then buy cheap.

My favorite rumor is that Olympia Odos helped set fires in northern peloponnisos to speed up construction of the new motorway there.

here's an old LA Times story going over it from 2007
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2007-aug-30-fg-greekfires30-story.html

same deal in terf island, the amount of protected buildings that have stood for hundreds of years, even surviving the bombings only to mysteriously suffer a fire days or weeks after being sold to a developer...

well obviously there's nothing there, just a coincidence.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

What is the interest rate?

It’s like BNPL, so the margin will come from landlord paying x% of rent to the company. The company takes a haircut y%. For the company’s funding facilities, they get (x-y)% which becomes high APY after annualizing (since the loan is paid monthly, they get ex. 3% in a month and can then lend it out again so it compounds. Patrick mckenzie has a better rundown in his blog)

I imagine the upside for the landlord is that they can indirectly charge higher rent. So they pay 6% of rent to charge 10% more, or whatever, and that’s more blood from the stone. Seems very profit maximizing!

Company here is Esusu so some fintech startup middleman made especially to skim this margin.

Pink Mist has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Aug 16, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When all else fails, fall back onto hysteria.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1691872631253786719

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Upside? Up!

Sounds good to me what's the problem

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

net work error posted:

Upside? Up!

Sounds good to me what's the problem

Tired of being upside down on your mortgage?

Well have you tried being upside up on it? No??

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/kevingilmartin/status/1691516439331569665?s=46&t=odOu6Zvkk9W0BXaw5Jm6hw

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

skooma512 posted:

*leans into ear*

Sir... about the reefs...

Just use AI to create newer, better, reefs.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Housing prices fell 33% in the GFC. 41% would be incredibly catastrophic.

It's kind of funny that the fed flailing against supply shock has temporarily ended the century long dream of American home ownership

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

trevorreznik posted:

Bane voice: For you.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

"Hey sport, sorry I screamed at you to attend this meeting instead of seeing your son's birthday or I'd fire you on the spot. If I only had the data...."

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Learning this exact same thing happened after hiroshima briefly shut down my brain.

of loving course it did, jesus gently caress my mind christ

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SardonicTyrant posted:

Learning this exact same thing happened after hiroshima briefly shut down my brain.

"The greenest pastures and fields you'll ever see! Buy now!"

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Popoto posted:

The free market to the rescue! THE SYSTEM WORKS!

I feel like I’m going insane.
:crackping:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

I didn't know this either but yeah....of loving course it did.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

trevorreznik posted:

in Canada they never fell :smugdon:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

trevorreznik posted:

It's kind of funny that the fed flailing against supply shock has temporarily ended the century long dream of American home ownership

theres nothing temporary about it unless you make 200k and/or can work remote and are ok to move somewhere rural. the window closed in 2020.

the only way to buy a home now is to already have one, have your parents basically buy one for you, or inherit one when your parents die.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the grand Wailea in Kihei is awesome, if it’s empty maybe I’ll go over there for a weekend. to help the economy of course.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

gas go up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fed official watching housing prices still skyrocketing: "That isn't supposed to be happening."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's amazing how the large scale management of the fundamentals of the entire economy are just thrown into the laps of a bunch of fed people with minimal oversight or input from congress aside from whining.

so many of these problems are fiscal policy problems but our government is incapable of doing anything about them in a positive way.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
When Volcker did it it was before private equity had killed like every small chain main street business, now things aren't working according to the ideological rules and it's not fair.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I just saw Jamie Dimon at the store and he explained to me that everything is going great

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Mr Hootington posted:

Fed official watching housing prices still skyrocketing: "That isn't supposed to be happening."

What? Housing is an asset, not something people consume. Prices going up is GDP growth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MickeyFinn posted:

What? Housing is an asset, not something people consume. Prices going up is GDP growth.

The only other thing besides wages that Powell and Co wants to cool off is housing prices. They explicitly said so.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's amazing how the large scale management of the fundamentals of the entire economy are just thrown into the laps of a bunch of fed people with minimal oversight or input from congress aside from whining.

so many of these problems are fiscal policy problems but our government is incapable of doing anything about them in a positive way.

the actual solution to inflation is to raise taxes on rich people but the fed exists purely so that instead of doing that we can do literally anything else and then blame the fed for it not working

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if rich people dont have money they wont give it to political campaigns and that clearly cannot be allowed to happen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

the actual solution to inflation almost everything is to raise taxes on rich people

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

19 o'clock posted:

I just saw Jamie Dimon at the store and he explained to me that everything is going great

whew. thanks for calming my nerves

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Almost like that's the whole point of our system of government. Power but dispersed and vague accountability.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

google bans maoist video game
Luck be a Landlord is now banned in 13 countries on the Google Play Store

blog.trampolinetales.com posted:

I'm sorry if the following post comes off as a bit angry. I'm writing this off the cuff and am very aggravated by the situation.

Today I received an email from Google Play Support stating that Luck be a Landlord has been geo-blocked in the following countries: United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Iran, Jordan, South Korea, Libya, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen.

According to Google, the app "contains content that doesn't comply with the Gambling policy."

It should go without saying that I 100% disagree with this decision. Luck be a Landlord does not violate any gambling policy that Google has in their terms of service.

The e-mail states that "Apps that simulate gambling, or games of chance or skill that are conducive to gambling are prohibited in the above locales."

By that logic, you could argue any game with an element of chance or luck violates Google's Gambling policy.

Jetpack Joyride, a game with a literal slot-machine mechanic, is rated E10+ and isn't geo-blocked. Dicey Dungeons, a game with themes of luck and rolling dice, isn't geo-blocked. A literal clone of my game, which raised $6,000,000 in venture capital, is somehow rated "E for Everyone" and isn't geo-blocked, despite literally having a battle pass and random-chance micro-transactions. Don't even get me started on how loot boxes are allowed (and encouraged) on these platforms!

It should go without saying that I don't think these other apps should be geo-blocked. I'm saying it's very easy to see that my game is getting unfair treatment.

I have brought this up to Google and they were dismissive of my reasoning, refusing to do anything.

I am exploring options of how to get this fixed but I am extremely upset that Google has made this ridiculous decision and that players in the aforementioned countries will be unable to download the game on the Google Play Store.

My apologies for those inconvenienced by this who were interested in playing Luck be a Landlord. The Steam version and iOS version of the game remain up without any issue at the time of me writing this.

-Dan

quote:

Luck be a Landlord is a roguelike deckbuilder about using a slot machine to earn rent money and defeat capitalism. This game does not contain any real-world currency gambling or microtransactions.

quote:

Your landlord is knocking on your door. You have one coin left to your name. You insert the coin into your slot machine...and...JACKPOT! Luck be a Landlord, tonight!

quote:

Features
  • Roguelite gameplay - The symbols you can add to the slot machine are different every time!
  • Lots of Symbols to add to your slot machine - Each symbol has different effects and interactions.
  • Plenty of Items to choose from - The items are different every time as well, leading to interesting build strategies.
  • A terrible landlord to defeat.
  • A dog you can pet.
  • Capitalism.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Google's on a tear - check this out "country in africa that starts with the letter K":

bunch of permutations of that come up with that as the first result too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Buffer posted:

Google's on a tear - check this out "country in africa that starts with the letter K":

Actually, that's incorrect. There are a few countries in Africa that start with the letter "K":

1. Kenya
2. Kigali
3. Kyrgyzstan

However, please note that only Kenya is an African country. Kigali is the capital city of Rwanda, and Kyrgyzstan is a country in Central Asia, not Africa.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Buffer posted:

this poo poo feels like snowcrash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

So basically the middle class is now locked out of homeownership. If you don't own a house now you never will