Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i would never miss an opportunity to miss 5 days of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Phigs posted:

Yep, this is the third time we've seen it now.

Understandable that someone would miss it though given the speed of the last thread and then its death.
glad to hear that. This whole "make the choice that's right for you!" model of health policy sucks rear end. Maybe in a few hundred years we'll create centralized orgs and departments that oversee these things instead of hollowed out political orgs that have to spin stuff, because yeah the average person can't really tell which of these are good and which are bunk

Phigs posted:

Unfortunately the posting around it is a whir of different graphs posted by people trying to own each other so it's hard for me to follow.
Hell, I got that sent to me by someone else. Before elon broke twitter usually the solution was checking the actual link and conversations, but now screenshots of tweets are the superior method of delivering both false information and the real stuff that appears there.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Aug 16, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Al! posted:

i feel like the baseball game line really should have pushed it over the top

The problem is that everyone else just didn't get my humor.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Why Am I So Tired posted:

fosborb, you might want to add the hardcase P100 filters to the OP for the non-SecureClick respirators
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000057584/

I think it's helpful for people to have a list of primary vendors too for ease of use - i.e. https://www.zoro.com is typically the best place to get elastomeric respirators and filters, and https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com the best place to get 9210+ auras.

Also, this is a big one - "COVID is airborne" isn't mentioned in it anywhere from what I can tell and that should be one of the major points. "COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke" is accurate and a very effective way for people to understand the situation. So many people outside of the thread really don't understand this.

IMO the bit about surgical masks should be changed because it overlooks the fact that COVID is airborne - on top of not protecting the wearer, they won't protect anyone around them. They're not PPE, period.

You honestly might want to include a link to the John Snow Project, they have so much information delivered in a very clear way and it's all sourced.
https://johnsnowproject.org/

Congrats / Sorry about your new position.

not an emptyquote.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Salt Fish posted:

The problem is that everyone else just didn't get my humor.

no one reported the joke post! growth!

definitely checking myself for early onset mod brain though

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

no one reported the joke post! growth!

definitely checking myself for early onset mod brain though

No one used report because we're used to it not doing anything. Also, the OP is still missing a key component.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
When omicron surged my buddy talked me into getting an Envomask and while I wish it weren't so rough on my nose I sure can't complain about it keeping me safe at work. Got two supervisors out sick right now, one with Covid and one with "it's not Covid" but nobody believes that after she was a panting, sweating mess having to step off the floor every few minutes to have big nasty coughing fits in the back. I don't envy anyone having to be that sick when it's this hot out, that's gotta suck.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
that post was clearly facetious and you can tell because it’s never lupus

lighten up, laugh a bit. getting an influx of new posters is a good thing for this thread even if they are poking fun. they’ll see the data, learn how to get paxlovid, maybe wear a (better) mask.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

A covid exposure per day for the immune system and a troll post per day for the brain. Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Which obviously doesn’t apply to any of you transsexual bitches.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nexous posted:

lighten up, laugh a bit. getting an influx of new posters is a good thing for this thread even if they are poking fun. they’ll see the data, learn how to get paxlovid, maybe wear a (better) mask.

Ohhhhh okay well now that you took time to explain the joke now its really funny thank you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

salt fish

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Al! posted:

salty fish

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

now thats how you explain a joke

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

nexous posted:

Not really all that funny with how close it is some IRL poo poo tbh.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

StratGoatCom posted:

Not really all that funny with how close it is some IRL poo poo tbh.

Yep agreed, not very funny

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Poppers posted:

A covid exposure per day for the immune system and a troll post per day for the brain. Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Which obviously doesn’t apply to any of you transsexual bitches.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few high risk eggs

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.
No post worth making if it doesn't end with a rueful Oppenheimer stare at the thread burning down

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao that's gotta be a typo, right? It's supposed to say 100.4, right????

e: ah, it is a typo, good job local news lol

Lol I had a fever of 104 when I was a little kid and my mom ended up putting me in an ice bath because I was delirious and on the ragged edge of frying my brain.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Baddog posted:

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few high risk eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVedv5XIhIw

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol I had a fever of 104 when I was a little kid and my mom ended up putting me in an ice bath because I was delirious and on the ragged edge of frying my brain.

every time I have visited St Louis I've had a 104 fever

hard not to take it personally

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

That's your own fault for setting foot in Missouri.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

yup. skill issue.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fosborb posted:

Every time I've been to Texas they had to take my gallbladder out. I'm afraid to go back since I'm all out of gallbladders.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Puzzling, you post in this thread, and yet you believe the doctors when they tell you that you don't have any more gallbladders.

I am very smart.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Omg what happened to everything lol

fosborb, you might want to add the hardcase P100 filters to the OP for the non-SecureClick respirators
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000057584/

I think it's helpful for people to have a list of primary vendors too for ease of use - i.e. https://www.zoro.com is typically the best place to get elastomeric respirators and filters, and https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com the best place to get 9210+ auras.

Also, this is a big one - "COVID is airborne" isn't mentioned in it anywhere from what I can tell and that should be one of the major points. "COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke" is accurate and a very effective way for people to understand the situation. So many people outside of the thread really don't understand this.

IMO the bit about surgical masks should be changed because it overlooks the fact that COVID is airborne - on top of not protecting the wearer, they won't protect anyone around them. They're not PPE, period.

You honestly might want to include a link to the John Snow Project, they have so much information delivered in a very clear way and it's all sourced.
https://johnsnowproject.org/

Congrats / Sorry about your new position.

:hmmyes:

salient
Jan 2, 2021
it would be cool if there was literally any osha enforcement at all. looking at osha 29 cfr part 1910.134 and it seems p clear employers have to provide n95s and fit testing for employees but apparently the local disability services org thinks they have an exception? an employee was telling me their supervisor says because they work with clients and not patients they don't have to provide ppe when the group homes have active covid outbreaks

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

hailthefish posted:

Puzzling, you post in this thread, and yet you believe the doctors when they tell you that you don't have any more gallbladders.

I am very smart.

We all watched the CDC bow to the antacids lobby and reduce the number of gallbladders per person from 10 to 5.

Fun fact, I asked the surgeon if I could have my gallbladder after they removed it from my body, and he said no because they needed to present it to some insurance guy to prove they weren't just performing fake surgeries. Then they charged me 100,000 dollars. Which I'm never going to pay.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:hai:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rochallor posted:

We all watched the CDC bow to the antacids lobby and reduce the number of gallbladders per person from 10 to 5.

Fun fact, I asked the surgeon if I could have my gallbladder after they removed it from my body, and he said no because they needed to present it to some insurance guy to prove they weren't just performing fake surgeries. Then they charged me 100,000 dollars. Which I'm never going to pay.

My doc gave me some gallstones! They were bright sulfurous yellow and faceted and about the size of a d4. Then over the years they shrunk a lot (I assume there was liquid trapped in them that evaporated?)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Which I'm never going to pay.

ABDMD (always be dodging medical debt)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

do you have post covid brain damage

no but i do have post ing brain damage!!!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

salient posted:

it would be cool if there was literally any osha enforcement at all. looking at osha 29 cfr part 1910.134 and it seems p clear employers have to provide n95s and fit testing for employees but apparently the local disability services org thinks they have an exception? an employee was telling me their supervisor says because they work with clients and not patients they don't have to provide ppe when the group homes have active covid outbreaks

Iirc, one of the things Trump did immediately was ensure that OSHA would have no power to say or do poo poo to employers wrt Covid. An early crack/ping for me.

"We gotta get ahead of this thing! Make sure the poors can't sue the rich over this!"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

LentThem posted:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/long-covid-rylee-joyce-august-9-2023

It's a good thing kids almost never catch COVID or we'd be hosed- wait...they what?!?

oooof

quote:

The RECOVER project is in the phase of collecting data and will soon begin analyzing it to try to find potential commonalities in cases and trends, Stevens said.

A long-term study like this will not produce answers for several years, but Dee Joyce is thankful the data she helped collect will go to help others.

"It’s sad. It’s taken a lot away for us for sure," Dee said. “[RECOVER] gave me hope that we’re being heard and that they’re putting the pieces together."

seeing hope regarding the RECOVER program is kinda depressing thing to read, considering this article was published only a week ago

‘Underwhelming’: NIH trials fail to test meaningful long Covid treatments — after 2.5 years and $1 billion
https://www.statnews.com/2023/08/09/long-covid-nih-trials/

quote:

More than 2.5 years after the National Institutes of Health received a $1 billion mandate from Congress to study and treat long Covid, the agency has finally launched clinical trials for the often-debilitating condition. But both scientists who study long Covid and patients who have struggled with it say the trials are unlikely to deliver meaningful treatments, suggesting the federal government’s landmark Covid research effort may have been wasted.

Millions of Americans have suffered symptoms ranging from debilitating fatigue to heart issues, some still sick after initial coronavirus infections in the pandemic’s first wave. Congress provided the NIH with $1.15 billion to help patients in December 2020 — and the agency has now spent most of that funding, according to a detailed new budget breakdown shared with MuckRock and STAT, with the majority going towards observational research rather than clinical trials.

Among the trials announced so far, the NIH’s long Covid initiative, called RECOVER, is studying only a handful of pharmaceutical treatments, along with several behavioral options. These treatments will not address the underlying biological issues of long Covid, say scientists and patient advocates who reviewed the newly public details about the studies.

Scientists also expressed concerns about how the RECOVER studies will measure the way the treatments affect patients. Without study designs that account for unique long Covid symptoms, such as delayed fatigue after exertion, the trials may miss positive impacts — or harmful side effects — of the treatments. Potential errors in the trials could have been avoided through transparency and better engagement with patients, experts and advocates say.

“Nobody in the patient community or the research community thinks this is going to be sufficient to solve the problem,” said Charlie McCone, a long Covid advocate and patient representative for RECOVER. “And there’s been no indication that there will be funding for further trials.”

(...)

This funding “has been largely wasted,” said David Putrino, director of rehabilitation innovation at Mount Sinai and a clinician studying long Covid. RECOVER’s research findings so far, such as a paper about common symptoms published in May 2023, have not added new insights to the field, he said. Instead, the agency is following an “old rulebook of biological discovery” that may take decades to identify novel treatments.

(...)

One reason for the lack of promising treatments among RECOVER’s trials is the initiative’s overall failure to learn from past research in other chronic diseases that share symptoms with long Covid, said Todd Davenport, a professor and rehabilitation expert at University of the Pacific. Davenport has studied myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a condition that is now a common diagnosis for long Covid patients.

Scientists on the RECOVER team “have parachuted into post-infectious illness and are now trying these things for the first time, to them,” Davenport said. “But it’s clear they haven’t done the reading.”

Davenport and other scientists outside of RECOVER have long lists of drugs that they’d like to test, most of which are not included in the NIH study.

this sucks!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-virus-masks-new-strain-b2394216.html posted:

New Covid wave has begun and masks should be worn again, scientists warn
Spread of new variant could cause extreme pressure on NHS and cause more damaging long-term health problems, Sage expert says

Experts have warned it is “reasonably certain” the UK is in another wave of Covid-19 – and suggested people should wear face masks again.

Hospital admissions for coronavirus have risen in recent weeks, just as the effectiveness of vaccines is wearing off, a new variant has emerged and ministers have decided Covid boosters will not be offered to nearly 12 million Britons this winter.

“Without ramping up surveillance, and in the face of waning immunity, we are travelling into winter more vulnerable and with blinkers on,” warned Christina Pagel, a member of the independent Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies that advises on the virus.
(..)
Prof Pagel predicted the new wave could cause extreme pressure on the health service, with a repeat of last winter’s “unprecedented” NHS crisis of Covid, flu and respiratory virus that came all around the same time.

“Any increase in hospital burden is bad news, given record waiting lists for diagnosis and treatment and persistently high waits in hospitals for admission,” she wrote in the British Medical Journal.
(..)
Dr Trisha Greenhalgh, a University of Oxford healthcare expert and also Sage member, wrote on social media: “My various science WhatsApp groups are buzzing… I understand little of the detail but it looks like it’s once again time to MASK UP.”

Asked whether people should wear them again, she added: “In high-risk situations I personally would wear one, yes. More to the point, I’m currently AVOIDING such situations eg not going to cinema.”
(..)
Around 7 July, cases were thought to have fallen to their lowest since the summer of 2020. However, since the start of last month, daily hospital admissions have risen, and on 4 August were more than double the figure four weeks earlier.

On that date, the 1,802 patients admitted in the previous seven days represented a rise of 366 on the week before – a 26 per cent increase.

In all, 1,844 Covid patients were in hospital, in an increase thought to be driven partly by more social mixing indoors during wet weather.
Not gonna lie, I had a chuckle at the "I understand little of the detail" from the member of the (COVID) advisory group.

Archived link: https://archive.li/Ij7M8

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Animal-Mother posted:

Iirc, one of the things Trump did immediately was ensure that OSHA would have no power to say or do poo poo to employers wrt Covid. An early crack/ping for me.

"We gotta get ahead of this thing! Make sure the poors can't sue the rich over this!"

he needn't have bothered, as we found out later the courts would never have let anything like that happen

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LentThem posted:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1688939156620161029

Its fine, we're just ruining kids lives no big deal

they knew the risks of being born

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Took about a day off and now I'm skipping 8 pages after reading the OP to resume covid posting with my covbrosandbroettes.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

lmao Augusta

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pingui posted:

:britain:

Not gonna lie, I had a chuckle at the "I understand little of the detail" from the member of the (COVID) advisory group.

Archived link: https://archive.li/Ij7M8
it's worth distinguishing between SAGE and Independent SAGE - the former is the official government advisory body, the latter is a group of concerned scientists, health professionals, and researchers who've been keeping track of goings-on; there's only a little overlap (2 of 19 in Indie SAGE are in SAGE). SAGE hasn't published anything in 2023 afaict, whereas Indie SAGE has been doing weekly video round-ups.

lol, just lol, if you think members of an official UK government advisory board would be recommending masking, or any action at all other than sitting back and breathing nature's vaccine deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Thinking about Eat Out to Help Out. Thinking about how now every day is Eat Out to Help Out.