Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I doubt Topaz is actually something as mundane as a repo man - why would she be involved with the Trailblazers and the various Stellaron crises in any way?

now, if she is? not rolling

but a sexy boba fett? sign me the gently caress up. Take my jades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
this implies boba fett is not already sexy

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm going to guess Topaz is an utterly beleaguered accountant with a fancy job title who is put in charge of all of the IPC's highest-risk investments, which means they keep sending her into active warzones to collect when she just wants to work a desk job and she's barely keeping her poo poo together. But hey who the gently caress knows

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

She better start every text with "This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be used for that purpose" and end them with "This communication is from a debt collector."

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

who'd be the best supports to stick onto a dps welt/dan heng team? i've been a bit annoyed at yanqing's performance on moc6 and wanted to start developing another dps set for that

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
asta

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I think so, especially since I was obviously using "Space Jane Bond" as a shortcut rather than to refer to the literal character of James Bond. The latter absolutely has some problematic elements (misogyny, imperialism, Sean Connery's version was almost as much of a rapist as he was), but at least James Bond's targets were almost all wealthy, powerful, and inarguably evil. A repo man's targets are the most downtrodden and persecuted elements of society.

i know what a repo man is lol

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Futaba Anzu posted:

who'd be the best supports to stick onto a dps welt/dan heng team? i've been a bit annoyed at yanqing's performance on moc6 and wanted to start developing another dps set for that

Options are: Bronya if you have her (able to trigger DH bonus on demand + also Wind so you get free break in situations where you're using DH anyways). That would be fairly skill point intensive though, so it's possible that a less SP intensive support like Ting or Asta makes more sense. You just really need some sort of harmony to consistently trigger DH passive since that's where so much of his damage comes from.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Futaba Anzu posted:

It depends on your sustain. If it's a healer then Asta is great with Dan and Welt since she speeds you up while the other 2 slow the enemy. If your sustain is a shielder then Tingyun is better. You want to be able to trigger Dan's talent at will so you need at least 1 support to have a skill that can target him instead of waiting for an ult.

That's my experience anyway, but I guess it depends if Welt is a debuffer or the main dps. Dan's a decent sub to Welt.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

facepalmolive posted:

I'm totally cool with (and maybe even slightly prefer?) playable characters being villains and/or not good people. Everything hints to IPC being not good people. I'm not even talking about criminals with hearts of gold, or villains with tragic backstories or redeemable qualities. Just straight-up bad people.

I'm in the camp where Numby reminds me of Nimby, so maybe it's just me, I'm around too many bad people.

:aaa:

Does it mention that everywhere? I mean, this kinda makes sense. I'd assumed we were just traveling through space since you could see out the window of the train and they made the outside look space-y.

Luocha's quest and HI3 knowledge. Basically they translate the term universe/galaxy/star system pretty inconsistently leading to a lot of confusion in the EN version.

The galaxy is their visualization of the Imaginary Tree. Worlds are leafs upon it, but each 'world' is an entirely separate universe. These translations don't always line but that's the intent. Akivili was trying to find the roots of the Imaginary Tree. The Imaginary Tree grew from the Sea of Quanta and the conflict between the two created reality. The Sea of Quanta is possibility, with the Imaginary Tree being reality. Each branch and leaf represent different choices made and different possible worlds. My original theory is that the Star Rail universe was a singular universe, so then Belobolg Bronya was the the Bronya here, leading me to believe Silver Wolf was Bronie/Haxxor Bunny since she knows how to hop universes. Instead it's just multiple universe and Bronie and Silver Wolf have no relation. Their closeness could be the result of their worlds being close on the Tree. This also still works with Aeons = Cocoon of Finality. The Cocoon was directing the Honkai to purge the tree of worlds it found unworthy to find a branch of humanity it could embrace. In a similar way we see the Paths function similarly, with Nanook being as destructive as the Honkai.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UHD posted:

actually no i don't have a problem with enlisting a villain on my entirely-in-gameplay team. it's fiction and my video game party is not indicative of my personal morals. who gives a poo poo.

there's always going to be abstractions in travel for the player. my point was more than the main story probably isn't ever going to have you go back and forth between worlds you've already "completed." you're going to move on to a new one once you finish whatever's going on in the current one, even if the astral express can theoretically do it. side quests can do whatever they want; they're not bound by the main quest's constraints, including riding the astral express all over the place.

This one is a bit beyond normal abstraction of this nature, though, because it's not just "character returns to place to do a quest," but explicitly says "character returned to this place to get a thing and then brought it back."

Also the Star Rail itself is some weird thing created by an Aeon, so for all I know it might actually be possible to make relatively quick trips between locations on it, once they've already been visited.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I appreciate the Topaz announcement for continuing the grand Mihoyo tradition of having characters who are prominently characterized by how they manage their work-life balance.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dammit, now I'm thinking of keeping Dan on the team since his A6 majes him a perfect skill point generator for Welt. It does mean only Luocha can activate his talent though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also Topaz looks awesome but I would probably never use her or misuse her since I prefer aoe dps.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Topaz will work off follow up attacks like Jing Yuan, so I'd say big caveat emptor there given how people feel about him currently.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ytlaya posted:

This one is a bit beyond normal abstraction of this nature, though, because it's not just "character returns to place to do a quest," but explicitly says "character returned to this place to get a thing and then brought it back."

Also the Star Rail itself is some weird thing created by an Aeon, so for all I know it might actually be possible to make relatively quick trips between locations on it, once they've already been visited.

It doesn't seem to take too long to actually get anywhere on the rail, unless there's something loving with it. Well, the warp that feels like seconds could take hours, it's sci-fi, there's no reason not to handwave the actual time anything takes.

Plus it seems like herta station is just where the express buys all their space limes to prevent space scurvy. So there's no reason you couldn't just wander back somewhere you've already been, if you really wanted to and could convince everyone else that it's fine to go back to iceland so you can pick up a kvas or whatever.

Incidentally, what do I want for luka? Seems like the trial ones just go with the physical set and probably some general crit/speed stuff?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Eimi posted:

Luocha's quest and HI3 knowledge. Basically they translate the term universe/galaxy/star system pretty inconsistently leading to a lot of confusion in the EN version.

The galaxy is their visualization of the Imaginary Tree. Worlds are leafs upon it, but each 'world' is an entirely separate universe. These translations don't always line but that's the intent. Akivili was trying to find the roots of the Imaginary Tree. The Imaginary Tree grew from the Sea of Quanta and the conflict between the two created reality. The Sea of Quanta is possibility, with the Imaginary Tree being reality. Each branch and leaf represent different choices made and different possible worlds. My original theory is that the Star Rail universe was a singular universe, so then Belobolg Bronya was the the Bronya here, leading me to believe Silver Wolf was Bronie/Haxxor Bunny since she knows how to hop universes. Instead it's just multiple universe and Bronie and Silver Wolf have no relation. Their closeness could be the result of their worlds being close on the Tree. This also still works with Aeons = Cocoon of Finality. The Cocoon was directing the Honkai to purge the tree of worlds it found unworthy to find a branch of humanity it could embrace. In a similar way we see the Paths function similarly, with Nanook being as destructive as the Honkai.

Oh interesting. When I did Luocha's quest, I interpreted as having a Luocha/March in a different universe, but basically this:

quote:

My original theory is that the Star Rail universe was a singular universe

and we were hopping between different worlds (planets/solar systems) in a single universe. I guess I did forget about the whole bit about Akivili, so this interpretation makes more sense.

Walla posted:

Also Topaz looks awesome but I would probably never use her or misuse her since I prefer aoe dps.

I saw some speculation (this is wild, too-early-to-tell speculation, I think) that she might be SP-positive. If that's the case, then there might be a niche there where she does her job as a full hunt dps while generating SP for your team, and opening up the possibility for your SP-hungry harmony units to skill every turn (Bronya, Yukong) for your AoE dps.

Or you can use her how I will use her: generate SP for Qingque.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I think so, especially since I was obviously using "Space Jane Bond" as a shortcut rather than to refer to the literal character of James Bond. The latter absolutely has some problematic elements (misogyny, imperialism, Sean Connery's version was almost as much of a rapist as he was), but at least James Bond's targets were almost all wealthy, powerful, and inarguably evil. A repo man's targets are the most downtrodden and persecuted elements of society.

HSR version of Columbo when??

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zenostein posted:

It doesn't seem to take too long to actually get anywhere on the rail, unless there's something loving with it. Well, the warp that feels like seconds could take hours, it's sci-fi, there's no reason not to handwave the actual time anything takes.

Plus it seems like herta station is just where the express buys all their space limes to prevent space scurvy. So there's no reason you couldn't just wander back somewhere you've already been, if you really wanted to and could convince everyone else that it's fine to go back to iceland so you can pick up a kvas or whatever.

Incidentally, what do I want for luka? Seems like the trial ones just go with the physical set and probably some general crit/speed stuff?

The bulk of Luka’s damage is coming from his ludicrously huge bleed and his ability to make it tick multiple times, so he doesn’t really seem to need crit as it scales both with enemy max HP and his own ATK. I’m working on getting an EHR chest (or good EHR substats and ATK chest) make sure it lands then cranking ATK. Also hoping for some good BE substats since bleed break so good.

Please not I could be wrong on all of this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zurai posted:

We don't know an awful lot about Topaz, but right in her intro blurb there's a few telling things. First, she's the leader of the "Special Debts Picket Team", which implies that she's not exactly the kind of goon that comes around and repossesses your car because you're late on your payments. Second, she's one of ten major characters in the IPC, which again implies that she's more about the big, planetary-scale problems than the low-level poo poo. And her quote, if it'd been presented without any of the other text, would be considered quite positively by everyone.

All in all, I expect that she's more of a special agent than a traditional debt collector. I'd reserve judgment on her until we see more of the story.

She's gonna be there to repossess an entire planet, isn't she? I can't unsee this now and it feels so plausible.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Honkai Star Balls: the Space Rail II

Bussamove posted:

The bulk of Luka’s damage is coming from his ludicrously huge bleed and his ability to make it tick multiple times, so he doesn’t really seem to need crit as it scales both with enemy max HP and his own ATK. I’m working on getting an EHR chest (or good EHR substats and ATK chest) make sure it lands then cranking ATK. Also hoping for some good BE substats since bleed break so good.
Please not I could be wrong on all of this.
It's got a maximum damage of a large percent of enemy HP yes, but that's also capped at a percentage of his ATK (299% at level 9 looks like). You're not gonna see too much crazy numbers with that limitation in place unless you treat him like a hypercarry and have multiple buffers boosting him to like 8k ATK or something absurd like that (even then that's just a ~24k dot tic).

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Eimi posted:

Remember we're traveling universes here, not through space. The Express jumps from leaf to leaf on the Imaginary Tree. So the travel time is presumably not that much once the tracks are fixed. This also how there are two Bronya's in the game, both Belobolg and Punklorde are in different universes.

No I don't think this is the case at all, seeing as how people from all these different places we visit are fully aware of the other locations and never mention visiting the Belobog universe or whatever.

Dimensional hopping might also exist, but that's not what the Astral Express is doing when we go from Herta Space Station to the Luofu for example.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean if everyone is dimension hopping (which I think is implied) then it wouldn't be weird at all for them to just think of it as how space travel works.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ruby Prism posted:

No I don't think this is the case at all, seeing as how people from all these different places we visit are fully aware of the other locations and never mention visiting the Belobog universe or whatever.

Dimensional hopping might also exist, but that's not what the Astral Express is doing when we go from Herta Space Station to the Luofu for example.

This is Cosmic Juggernaut the Divine Key that allows you to explore the Sea of Quanta. It's role is to let you hop universes and it's similarlity to the Astral Express should be pretty obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Y1GcPVU3U here is the Astral Express in it's current form in the concept trailer for what became Star Rail. An early design of March 7th (called Eileen and found in the files) is in this trailer too.

This also fits the original text better, English is just very bad about this translation, they do it in Honkai Impact too, it's been a persistent issue that confuses the EN playerbase. I mean regardless if I'm right or not dimension hopping is already in play because that's how Welt and Void Archives got here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ruby Prism posted:

I guess you could maybe explain this as "everyone is aware that the universe exists as a bunch of dimensions with their own planets in them and the more technologically advanced civilizations/organizations, like the Luofu or IPC, are capable of traveling between them." Though then things get really weird because "what's even up with stars/galaxies also existing" (though game lore being really weird/dumb about stuff like that isn't exactly uncommon).

edit: This interpretation means that the Astral Express's ability to travel between dimensions isn't unique, though.

My interpretation is that there's a big network (I think using the star rail?) that is interconnected and can allow for travel, and IIRC the Astral Express can pave the way to new places?

I'm assuming that the game has the sort of weird interpretation of stars/galaxies (and the universe itself within a specific dimension) where they're just "the environment surrounding the planet, which is the core of the 'universe'"

vvv Yeah, so they're basically "expanding the network of accessible places" I guess

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Trailblazer laid the tracks but anyone can follow. As long as they have the blessing of any Aeon.

Edit: For what it's worth, the Databank sets it up as a mystery which Aeon the Stellaron Hunters worship, but clearly it's one of them because they're capable of independent space travel.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2023

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

I mean if everyone is dimension hopping (which I think is implied) then it wouldn't be weird at all for them to just think of it as how space travel works.

If space travel was just universe hopping, that entire side quest in Herta Space Station about the researcher waiting for his sweetheart to come back and fearing a temporal disparity would make zero sense.

Eimi posted:

(HI3 stuff!)

I legitimately don't believe posting examples from HI3 makes for compelling evidence in this case. The game seems completely uninterested in connecting the two games in anything other than winks and nods so far. Welt to me is the exception, and not the rule.

Ytlaya posted:

I guess you could maybe explain this as "everyone is aware that the universe exists as a bunch of dimensions with their own planets in them and the more technologically advantages civilizations/organizations, like the Luofu or IPC, are capable of traveling between them." Though then things get really weird because "what's even up with stars/galaxies also existing" (though game lore being really weird/dumb about stuff like that isn't exactly uncommon).

I feel like if the Luofu could just hop to different universes altogether, they'd just hop to one where the Abundance doesn't exist in an attempt to solve their long life curse, since that seems to be a byproduct of the Aeon's influence?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Assuming this is dimension hopping, then Aeons pretty clearly exist beyond dimensions. So there is no universe where the Abundance doesn't exist.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 16, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

sushibandit posted:

Honkai Star Balls: the Space Rail II

It's got a maximum damage of a large percent of enemy HP yes, but that's also capped at a percentage of his ATK (299% at level 9 looks like). You're not gonna see too much crazy numbers with that limitation in place unless you treat him like a hypercarry and have multiple buffers boosting him to like 8k ATK or something absurd like that (even then that's just a ~24k dot tic).

He’s not gonna do great damage on his own, yeah, but he is another component of the exploding DoT setup for Kafka.

Plus he also has a pretty hefty DMG taken debuff and a buff dispel so he’s got utility. Though in that regard he’s basically Pela but worse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ruby Prism posted:

If space travel was just universe hopping, that entire side quest in Herta Space Station about the researcher waiting for his sweetheart to come back and fearing a temporal disparity would make zero sense.

I legitimately don't believe posting examples from HI3 makes for compelling evidence in this case. The game seems completely uninterested in connecting the two games in anything other than winks and nods so far. Welt to me is the exception, and not the rule.

I feel like if the Luofu could just hop to different universes altogether, they'd just hop to one where the Abundance doesn't exist in an attempt to solve their long life curse, since that seems to be a byproduct of the Aeon's influence?

Welt has a replica of a Divine Key. He uses it as his ult, the Star of Eden. As well Void Archives, another Divine Key, is just out there walking around somehow. The Divine Keys and their existence still matters.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

at this point i wish this game was literally anything except honkai

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

UHD posted:

Yep. The HI3 baggage makes it a worse experience.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The invented baggage? I'm enjoying the game just fine over here

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Clarste posted:

The Trailblazer laid the tracks but anyone can follow. As long as they have the blessing of any Aeon.

Edit: For what it's worth, the Databank sets it up as a mystery which Aeon the Stellaron Hunters worship, but clearly it's one of them because they're capable of independent space travel.

My pet theory on this is that the Stellaron Hunters worship... Akivili the Trailblaze. We've already seen examples of factions seeming to go against their Aeon, like the Mourning Actors and the Doctors of Chaos. So this could be another example along those lines. Trying to change fate by chaining yourself to destiny, or something like that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I was gonna roll on Topaz simply because Fire Hunt is the best element/path combo and that sounded fun

Then i saw her design because I want her hotness and her dog in my team now!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

She's gonna be there to repossess an entire planet, isn't she? I can't unsee this now and it feels so plausible.

yeah that is exactly what i was thinking that made me think it sounds worse lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Topaz will work off follow up attacks like Jing Yuan, so I'd say big caveat emptor there given how people feel about him currently.

My only problem with Jing Yuan is how much investment he requires compared to other characters.

Speaking of follow ups, it's very lovely that the Erudition lc on the banner is the only one Serval can't make use of.

facepalmolive posted:

I saw some speculation (this is wild, too-early-to-tell speculation, I think) that she might be SP-positive. If that's the case, then there might be a niche there where she does her job as a full hunt dps while generating SP for your team, and opening up the possibility for your SP-hungry harmony units to skill every turn (Bronya, Yukong) for your AoE dps.

Or you can use her how I will use her: generate SP for Qingque.

If she's a skill point neutral Hunt dps then I will be pleasantly shocked.

UHD posted:

Another victim of the Lore Wars. Shame.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean there's all sorts of stuff that says it's space, and we've seen space in Star Rail and the Sea Of Quanta in HI3 and they do not look the same. Plus there's all sorts of side-quests and lore that only work if it's space. Plus, it's not like there aren't aliens from other planets, either in Star Rail's lore, or directly appearing in HI3, or even heavily implied in Genshin's Deep Lore. Of course I guess that begs the question of why so many planets seem to have normal rear end humans . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if the Astral Express can and does do both, but it seems pretty clear to me that the places we've been are in the same universe.
Silver Wolf and Bronya can still be explained a couple ways:

1. Punklorde is in another universe, that's why people don't seem to know much about it.

2. Punklorde is described as a "cyber world," where hackers can and do mess with reality a lot. We've seen at least two of these in HI3, one of which was planetary scale. We haven't necessarily seen a cyber world in any of the games that generates original people or copies that don't know they're copies (unless Teyvat is one :tinfoil:) but that seems like the sort of thing a whole planet built on that would do. Maybe it copied a dimension hopping Bronya at some point, or something. (Maybe Bronie?) As for how she now has a physical form . . . idunno, something something soulium something something Honkai energy something something Imaginary Law something something Aha did it.

3. Silver Wolf is significantly older than she looks, she is Haxxor Bunny, and she just spent a long time on Punklorde. (Probably the least likely but I can hope . . .)

4. They've just decided that either Haxxor Bunny or Standard Bronya is a separate character from Future Bronya, expy-wise and there's no relation. Honestly seems like both the most likely and the least interesting.

--Edit:
Actually come to think of it HI3's Prometheus seems to just be, like, an extra Bronya for no apparent reason. So Silver Wolf and Bronya just being from the same universe with no explanation has precedent.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, coming at this from non-HI3 perspective, different dimensions doesn't mean different variations of the same planet, it just means that the way they travel between star systems is a little weirder than standard sci-fi FTL. These aren't just variations of Earth, and aliens do in fact exist. It's just that the Databank's description of the Imaginary Tree and Interastral travel imply some kind of dimension hopping, imo. The stars are separated by more than space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, coming at this from non-HI3 perspective, different dimensions doesn't mean different variations of the same planet, it just means that the way they travel between star systems is a little weirder than standard sci-fi FTL. These aren't just variations of Earth, and aliens do in fact exist. It's just that the Databank's description of the Imaginary Tree and Interastral travel imply some kind of dimension hopping, imo. The stars are separated by more than space.

I believe the ingame lore states that Qlipoth/other Aeons have basically built invisible walls around each planet. The space travel is esoteric and for the most part I believe works off of Aeon blessings. There might be some more conventional forms of travel, but they're probably limited and very very carefully plotted.