Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Linus All Tips Meeting posted:

Be cautious when you know that one side is bound by legal and ethical disclosure guidelines, when the other is not. Carefully consider what it says about the character of someone who would engage in that type of gossip against someone who has no power to defend themselves.

Is he... playing the victim card with this? Which side is which here? Presumably his company is the side that's bound by "legal and ethical" guidelines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Is he... playing the victim card with this? Which side is which here? Presumably his company is the side that's bound by "legal and ethical" guidelines?

He always plays the victim card, in every encounter.

Even when he has been right it's been insufferable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's GN Steve in a 1920s investigative journalist get up

CoffeeZilla?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

someone photoshop him to look like a domino

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

No question, it was certifiably stupid that he didn't take the money on the table and it is apex dunning Kruger that this is the situation he finds himself in just months on from that decision.

Speaking of, many folks have brought up the $100 million valuation for the company. The only source for this I can find primarily comes from Linus himself, stating that an undisclosed company expressed interest in a $100 million acquisition of LMG. As of now there's been no external validation available, leaving us with only Linus's word to go by. Given the recent instances of misinformation from Linus I wonder if this claim now merits some scepticism.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

For those that don't wish to try and dig through what Reddit calls a comment system, some additional info on this clip:

The person that posted it is not an employee of LMG - They say they are a journalist, "but of the wrong type" (whatever that means)
They claim this recording is from Dec. 10, the day after Madison left, as noted above
They say they are in contact with multiple LMG employees, and have statements about the abuse and sexual harassment Madison talked about, verifying it
They say they have more (recordings, statements, it isn't clear to me), and more will be released "if this isn't handled satisfactorily"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sigma posted:

No stupid, dig UP

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

priznat posted:

CoffeeZilla?

That with a bit of early Stephanie Sterling tailoring

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know this was mentioned earlier but it bears repeating: HR is there to protect the company and its interest, not the employee, regardless if its in-house or 3rd party HR. Sometimes those interests might align to the complainant, often not.

I can only think protecting the company interests is doubly so if the HR department literally shares the bed with the head of the company.

Employers often have nepotism rules just for this reason. Even the optics of a potential conflict are something they need to stay away from in case something goes legal, this is right from the most basic local level to the international/HO level.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Charles Leclerc posted:

That with a bit of early Stephanie Sterling tailoring

Speaking of, her recent vid on BG3 is fantastic and I am not even interested in D&D games!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Earlier I was fantasizing about spicy leaked emails. Given that this recording has happened back then, chances start looking good.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm waiting for Linus to quit and start his own new paper company tech channel trying to steal LMG's viewers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

slidebite posted:

I know this was mentioned earlier but it bears repeating: HR is there to protect the company and its interest, not the employee, regardless if its in-house or 3rd party HR. Sometimes those interests might align to the complainant, often not.

I can only think protecting the company interests is doubly so if the HR department literally shares the bed with the head of the company.

Employers often have nepotism rules just for this reason. Even the optics of a potential conflict are something they need to stay away from in case something goes legal, this is right from the most basic local level to the international/HO level.

Third party HR is especially disappointing. They have an enshrined, contractual obligation to protect the company that is paying them.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lmfao

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Charles Leclerc posted:

Third party HR is especially disappointing. They have an enshrined, contractual obligation to protect the company that is paying them.
But they're 3rd party, you see? They are unbiased!

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Koskun posted:

For those that don't wish to try and dig through what Reddit calls a comment system, some additional info on this clip:

The person that posted it is not an employee of LMG - They say they are a journalist, "but of the wrong type" (whatever that means)
They claim this recording is from Dec. 10, the day after Madison left, as noted above
They say they are in contact with multiple LMG employees, and have statements about the abuse and sexual harassment Madison talked about, verifying it
They say they have more (recordings, statements, it isn't clear to me), and more will be released "if this isn't handled satisfactorily"

I saw those comments. I'll be honest, _this_ person seems a little sus to me..because Reddit and extraordinary claims from a random username. The video is still important context but is itself a repost.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

slidebite posted:

But they're 3rd party, you see? They are unbiased!

They're definitely less biased in a certain direction than an internal HR function could conceivably be lol

*to be clear, I agree with your earlier post whole heartedly, internal HR is not to be trusted and is NOT there to protect you.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rabid Snake posted:

It kind of proves that Madison did go to HR about the complaints and they were not taken seriously. Linus knew about the incidents unlike the email he sent to The Verge. And the "trust me bro" attitude ... just wow

There’ve been a few posters in this thread the last two days who’ve basically been “Why you mad, bro?” about all of this, and it’s been disappointing but not unsurprising to see.

To paraphrase what someone once said about ultrawide monitor users: “ This thread is a stark reminder that Libertarian Techbros continue to move amongst us undetected. They might even be those closest to you. Chilling thought.”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Koskun posted:

yeah i dug into it and given they posted this originally mid february 2023 and were focused on the "do not discuss" wages aspect (and were active on antiwork), i doubt they have anything other than some nuggets an insider passed that included that video. they've had 6 months to release any more details so i doubt they have anything more than some statements from employees. those statements as part of an investigation would be good, but you can just talk to the employees (but it does show this isn't just something that materialised out of nowhere in the past 48h)

now that employees have recorded meetings for nearly 2 years now and are willing to share them with randos says a lot, anyone actually digging into the company will get a lot more than they want

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Waiting for the Jason Schreier hit piece.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Charles Leclerc posted:

They're definitely less biased in a certain direction than an internal HR function could conceivably be lol

*to be clear, I agree with your earlier post whole heartedly, internal HR is not to be trusted and is NOT there to protect you.

External HR is not their to protect the employee either.

Don't trust a cop & don't trust HR. Words to live by.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ll be shocked if James Streib has a job this time next week.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
HR protects the company by making sure they can cover their rear end and show that there are all the right policies and trainings in place. So in the worst case, they can throw the accused individual under the bus for not following the rules.

Obviously they could just conclude that nothing happened and unless there's a subsequent litigation, that would be it I guess? But if there is a lawsuit later, any coverup could be discovered. So if they do confirm that harassment happened, clearly the policies weren't implemented properly and they'll have sacrifice someone. Is this James guy a manager or something?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

well why not posted:

So long as nobody specifically names him as a harasser (unless that happened and I missed it already) it won't be too hard for LMG to stall until the internet's attention span runs out and then just mutter some platitudes about moving forward or whatever and nothing will change.

Big lmao at that leaked audio indicating that Linus absolutely knew that something was up, though. gently caress him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

what has James actually done besides tell a bad joke about dancing on tables? did Madison name him or something?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

HR protects the company by making sure they can cover their rear end and show that there are all the right policies and trainings in place. So in the worst case, they can throw the accused individual under the bus for not following the rules.

Obviously they could just conclude that nothing happened and unless there's a subsequent litigation, that would be it I guess? But if there is a lawsuit later, any coverup could be discovered. So if they do confirm that harassment happened, clearly the policies weren't implemented properly and they'll have sacrifice someone. Is this James guy a manager or something?

He's the head of Writing at LMG. Basically the person Madison indirectly mentioned.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vic posted:

He's the head of Writing at LMG. Basically the person Madison indirectly mentioned.

I never got that indirect mention? Not saying it's not there, just that I didn't see or understand it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

He would've been her direct supervisor because as she mentioned, she had to write content for social and for floatplane exclusives.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Titor posted:

Speaking of, many folks have brought up the $100 million valuation for the company. The only source for this I can find primarily comes from Linus himself, stating that an undisclosed company expressed interest in a $100 million acquisition of LMG. As of now there's been no external validation available, leaving us with only Linus's word to go by. Given the recent instances of misinformation from Linus I wonder if this claim now merits some scepticism.

It sure as poo poo isn't worth $100 million now!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I never got that indirect mention? Not saying it's not there, just that I didn't see or understand it.
Speculation of course, but she speaks about this being people in leadership. James would be her boss in this case who belittles her. The thing about writers room is another giveaway.

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grack posted:

It sure as poo poo isn't worth $100 million now!

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1691944990631707102?t=HF4L-zqc3RNv6xpWoLEd3A&s=19

Step in the right direction, still not going to resub to floatplane anytime soon.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Also this comment of theirs got deleted but is still on their userpage if you wanna check (it was a response to the last comment in this thread)

redditor posted:

James always seemed like a dick but I thought that might've been played up as a character. Riley though was always a favorite and seemed so genuinely nice, guess that was a character too?

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
So comparing the differences between that twitter post and the original statement given to The Verge is interesting.

I may be going a little "red string madman in a detective show" mad here, but there's no "doesn't match our recollection" anymore, and the swap to "we aim to provide a..." rather than "We pride ourselves on maintaining a" safe and inclusive environment.

That's curious.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hellequin posted:

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1691944990631707102?t=HF4L-zqc3RNv6xpWoLEd3A&s=19

Step in the right direction, still not going to resub to floatplane anytime soon.
this is just the corporate pr response in-line with the email to the verge from the acting ceo. but there's blood in the water now and you can hear the employees' phones go off from the different orgs investigating atm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He is, in my estimation, 100% the sort of guy to say poo poo like “calm your tits” as a really “sarcastic” “joke”.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Linus has the attention span of a fruit fly

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What the gently caress is with small businesses not being able to somehow treat people, especially women, as human beings? How hard is it to have a strict policy of “If you sexually harass anyone, you are immediately fired after an immediate investigation if the allegations are substantiated.”
It’s not rocket science, it’s easy to do, and it immediately ends this poo poo. For fucks sake.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

well why not posted:

He is, in my estimation, 100% the sort of guy to say poo poo like “calm your tits” as a really “sarcastic” “joke”.

He reads as Todd Packer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I mean if Blizzard and any number of other companies are any indication it's not just small companies that have an issue treating women with respect.

FYI James is also the one to make the dancing on the table joke in the leaked meeting that was posted above.