Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

spaceblancmange posted:

it still blows my mind that people thought vince was a good commentator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2SkAKwECw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

When I was a kid and didn’t understand how wrestling worked (vaguely understood it was a show but no clue Vince owned the joint) I thought Vince was there to be the “boring” straight-laced guy to balance out the rest of the announcers. Mean Gene was there to get clowned on or ask “tough” questions, Bobby Heenan was there to antagonize the faces (and was funny as hell even to little me), and Gorilla Monsoon felt the most important since he hosted Prime Time Wrestling. Vince was a boring dude who was just there for some reason.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

being an announcer is one of the worst jobs you can have on-air because at any given moment vince will scream at you through your head set if you make a mistake or say something he doesn't like which is why mick foley quite announcing and went to TNA for a few years

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

spaceblancmange posted:

it still blows my mind that people thought vince was a good commentator

ON HIS CHEST TWO AND YAAHH

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Jessie the body and gorilla monsoon at WrestleMania 6

Best commentary ever

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tonight on AEW, actual slasher movie villain Leatherface did a run-in during a Jeff Hardy vs. Jeff Jarrett match.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

Tonight on AEW, actual slasher movie villain Leatherface did a run-in during a Jeff Hardy vs. Jeff Jarrett match.

lol

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gavok posted:

Is he there to promote a movie?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

Tonight on TNA, you mean.

Right?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Are Attitude era JR & King considered an all time announcing duo? I don’t know a ton about other eras or promotions, watched a bit of WCW but their guys seemed dull.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Are Attitude era JR & King considered an all time announcing duo? I don’t know a ton about other eras or promotions, watched a bit of WCW but their guys seemed dull.

JR was great. King was ehh then and aged worse than spoiled milk.

Paul Heymann was the superior commentator.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Is he there to promote a movie?

Video game.

AEW regularly gets stuck having to promote weird WB projects. A lot of the time they go hilariously lazy with it (ie. Rick and Morty, Shazam 2). Tonight they went full throttle and created something incredibly stupid and wonderful.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Paul Heyman is just superior in all aspects. Dude sells every moment of the show.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

How is the AEW computer game, especially compared to the recent WWE one? I have been hunting around to try and get a game that has the best custom creation stuff, essentially so I can run a wrestling RPG. Representing the PCs and the rest of the roster they create along with running AI vs AI fights would be a dream, but I haven't really touched a wrestling game since the 2000s.

Been super enjoying the thread - amazing effort posts.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gavok posted:

Well what do you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msja6NVJg4c

(I do not like Jarrett's bladejob here though. Too much, sometimes).

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hey, leatherface has been wrestling since the 80's :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Coward posted:

How is the AEW computer game, especially compared to the recent WWE one? I have been hunting around to try and get a game that has the best custom creation stuff, essentially so I can run a wrestling RPG. Representing the PCs and the rest of the roster they create along with running AI vs AI fights would be a dream, but I haven't really touched a wrestling game since the 2000s.

The gameplay is mostly good to great.

The customization stuff is insultingly bad. If that's what you're looking for you should go for the WWE or Fire Pro.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Coward posted:

It's great fun to play and in my opinion is far more enjoyable overall than WWE's, especially the single player campaign. It is a first effort and thin, though, you can't share creations online, for example. If you want to play a great wrestling game, maybe wait for a sale or the big Stadium Stampede update. If you want an impressive and modern creation suite, best to hold out for the sequel.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Since I'm not really planning on playing it, mainly just to replace all the existing wrestlers with a custom roster and have AI vs AI fights, sounds like I should at least wait for the next AEW game.

Is the recent WWE game good for this, or should I skip that one too?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Coward posted:

they're insanely good for that, it's like the one thing they nail

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Coward posted:

Since I'm not really planning on playing it, mainly just to replace all the existing wrestlers with a custom roster and have AI vs AI fights, sounds like I should at least wait for the next AEW game.

You can't do AI Vs AI matches in AEW Fight Forever so it's definitely not the game for you

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

blunt posted:

You can't do AI Vs AI matches in AEW Fight Forever so it's definitely not the game for you

Yes you can.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cornwind Evil posted:

Well what do you know.

Are you accusing Jeff Jarrett of ham-fistedly overdoing things to aggrandize himself at the expense of the product and other wrestlers?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

Well what do you know.

Isn't most of that from the bucket of blood they dumped on him?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/74i1HKS.mp4
“You Common woman!”
Can’t stop laughing at that…

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Isn't most of that from the bucket of blood they dumped on him?

Yeah, it was clear (intentionally, I presume) that it wasn't real blood.

The clip obviously doesn't show that.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Well what do you know.

Hahahahaha this is so gloriously stupid I love it

The announcers barely sold that though imo. "Oh no, Leatherface, you better run. :geno:"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1691982903461245048?s=20

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

Video game.

AEW regularly gets stuck having to promote weird WB projects. A lot of the time they go hilariously lazy with it (ie. Rick and Morty, Shazam 2). Tonight they went full throttle and created something incredibly stupid and wonderful.

Following up on this, apparently they got $100,000 to do this promotional match and it all went to Maui, so that makes it better.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
While WWE actively choose to do things like a Mountain Dew Pitch Black match and mentioning Domino's pizza one hundred times during a PPV.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Gavok posted:

Following up on this, apparently they got $100,000 to do this promotional match and it all went to Maui, so that makes it better.

Oh actually that's pretty cool of them tbh

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

While WWE actively choose to do things like a Mountain Dew Pitch Black match and mentioning Domino's pizza one hundred times during a PPV.

To be fair advertising dollars are pretty much how all wrestling shows are funded.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

that's my favorite episode, he's like a cosmic wrestler fighting monkey (a superhero who is literally just a monkey)

Rasslor posted:

I could crush your bones. I could smash your body. But I could never break your spirit!

Pages back, but I will never forget that quote. Cheesy and quaint, but it truly does boil down the underdog story to its core.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gavok posted:

Yes you can.

Whoops my bad

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

A Terrible Person posted:

Pages back, but I will never forget that quote. Cheesy and quaint, but it truly does boil down the underdog story to its core.

Reminds me of one of my favourite Star Trek moments, the one where DS9 Worf really shows that he isn't TNG Worf anymore:

https://youtu.be/Z8MFp3-ebEQ

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

A Terrible Person posted:

Though it is riffing on a Marvel comic where the same thing happened; in that case, it was Ben Grimm, nee The Thing, vs the Champion of the Universe (one of the Elders of the Universe, you might recall versions of them played by Benicio Del Toro and Jeff Goldblum in Marvel films). Thing was supposedly the last hope of Earth: if he didn't win, the Champion would destroy it (or so he claimed) and after some plot devices caused fighters who might be considered 'stronger' to be disqulified (Thor threw his hammer, hence used a weapon, that's a DQ, Hulk shredded his boxing gloves and went into a mindless rage, he's not a competitor, he's an animal, that's a DQ...). Thing, of course, simply would not stay down, lasting longer than any other competitor the Champion ever fought.

Even the line comes from it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

THE RETURN AND DEATH OF SHANE MCMAHON: PART 4

As I get towards the end of Shane’s career, I want to take a second to go back to the beginning. While he had background roles in the 90s, his first role as himself (in the sense that the audience knew he was the owner’s son) was as commentator on Sunday Night Heat. Shane would go down as one of the worst commentators in WWE history, obnoxiously screaming about everything going on like he just took a syringe of adrenaline to the neck. Luckily, his tenure of screaming, “YEAH BABY, YEAH! THAT’S MY POP! YEAH! GET ‘EM! GET ‘EM!” did not last too long.

Fast-forward two decades.

While TV and movies almost completely shut down in the face of COVID-19, wrestling needed to find a way to keep going. With no audience allowed, wrestling promotions had to be creative if they decided to keep doing shows. This was especially apparent after WrestleMania, where WWE did two nights of quiet matches in an empty Performance Center. With the pandemic showing no signs of slowing down, they needed something to keep people interested. Something new and fresh.

In August of 2020, an episode of Raw aired that is considered infamous for introducing two hilarious concepts that died almost immediately. The more important one for our subject is Raw Underground. The show started in a dingy warehouse where a ring with no ropes was set up. No-names surrounded the ring to make noise as women danced in the background. Most notably, Shane stood in the center of the ring, bloated, sweaty, and VERY, VERY EXCITED. It was his first time back in 10 months and he was psyched to introduce everyone to Raw Underground.

Raw Underground was an underground fight club where people would do MMA in the ring as Shane did the ring announcing and commentary all at once. There was no real story reason for this. It would just cut back to the Raw announce team who would talk about how fresh and cutting edge it all was, only to cut back to it later in the night.

This episode of Raw also had a gang in hoods show up to destroy the Raw set and ring. You would think that these two situations would be linked together. You would think that this group of mysterious vandals were sent by Shane to stir poo poo up and show the dominance of Raw Underground. Shockingly, no. As it would later become apparent, this was WWE trying to do an Antifa stable called Retribution. It was a group made up of masked guys with silly names like Slapjack, T-Bar, and Reckoning. What they wanted was either never made clear or contradicted by their actions, like how they reveled in being rebellious anarchists who wanted to destroy WWE, but also signed contracts to be part of WWE.

As an aside, you know that trope when somebody applies somewhere only to get rejected and later see their work ripped off? Like when a label turns you down, but you hear somebody on the radio singing your song? Wrestlers from indie promotion Chikara had that going on with this episode. Before the company imploded thanks to the pandemic and Speaking Out allegations, Mike Quackenbush tried to get WWE to either make Chikara part of their empire or buy it outright. It didn’t happen, but still, WWE was shown their final storyline which had some strong similarities to Raw Underground/Retribution. Enough that some former Chikara guys were very salty that night.

Sadly, Shane going loudly bonkers over seeing Dolph Ziggler do amateur wrestling in a ring with no ropes was not long for this world. After a month or so, WWE quietly dropped it and never talked about it ever again.

Shane returned to his role as a heel authority figure and antagonized Braun Strowman. This was about a year after Braun had won the WWE Universal Championship and did gently caress-all with it. Braun was not doing especially great in the company, as they were having him run around the ring while they added inexplicable train sound effects to him. This feud did not help him in the lead-up. It was week after week of Shane outsmarting Braun, calling him stupid, beating him up, and... um... pouring Nickelodeon slime on him.

This led to a cage match at WrestleMania that Braun won that thankfully only went ten minutes. Braun was fired soon after because Nick Khan felt he was getting paid too much and he wanted to cut costs.

While Shane was written off TV, he apparently did do some occasional backstage stuff. Well, he did until the following January. It was time for the 2022 Royal Rumble. It was a bad show. One of the worst PPVs in WWE history, in all honesty. Not only were the matches garbage, but so were the two Royal Rumble matches.

And let me point out, that’s hard for me to say as someone who loving loves the Royal Rumble. There are Rumbles that are considered bad – whether it’s the overbooked mess of 1999 or the boredom of the first installment in 1988 – but I’ve enjoyed almost all of them on some level. Even the 2015 one was entertaining because of the crowd making GBS threads on it. The two Rumbles in 2022 were just bad and while the women’s match was just uneventful with a lame Ronda Rousey win, the men’s Rumble was depressing.

Word is that Shane wanted to book himself as #1 and make it all the way to the end. Thinking that was a bad idea and understanding that this plan would lead to Shane melting into goo like Senator Kelly in the first X-Men movie, Vince insisted on giving him a far later entrance. In fact, there were a lot of disagreements the two McMahons had and things got changed more and more. Wrestlers were confused as their assignments kept getting changed. They know longer could keep it straight when they were supposed to come out, how long they were supposed to last, and who they were supposed to eliminate.

This led to a Rumble match where nothing really happened. Kofi Kingston was supposed to do one of his crazy stunts to escape elimination, but he botched it and lost earlier than he was supposed to (same happened a year later). At one point they did have everyone in the ring rally against the extremely tall Omos, which wasn’t bad. Rick Boogs showed up and proved himself way cooler than his name would suggest. Otherwise, there was zero connective tissue to the match. They were simply going through the motions with no rhyme or reason, like it was a CPU-only Rumble in a video game.

The last third of the Rumble was building up some strong contenders. Drew McIntyre made his grand return. Kevin Owens was consistently a big deal. Big E was just coming off a world title reign. Otis was a former Money in the Bank winner whose career needed a shot in the arm. Even Bad Bunny, one of the better celebrities to do wrestling, appeared.

Then the last three showed up. #28 was supposed to be Randy Orton, but they ended up playing Shane McMahon’s theme by mistake (?), which made Orton fall over laughing backstage. An annoyed Shane had no choice but to enter the ring before he was really ready. Shane ran out, delivered his lovely punches, and was at least able to get an elimination on Kevin Owens. Orton came out at #29, where he did some team-up stuff with his tag partner Riddle.

Then it was time for #30. It was none other than Brock Lesnar, who lost the WWE Championship earlier in the night to Bobby Lashley. Brock was not announced for the Royal Rumble in any way and his appearance was little more than a throwaway gesture to get us Brock vs. Roman Reigns at the next WrestleMania. A match that had been done to death.

Brock proceeded to eliminate Randy Orton, Bad Bunny, Riddle, Shane, and Drew McIntyre. Shane actually wanted there to be a big showdown between him and Brock, but Brock absolutely refused. Instead, Shane got to be in the ring for under six minutes, get third place, and get a GIGANTIC paycheck for it. As for Brock, he spent a mere two and a half minutes in the match, making the entire thing feel completely worthless. Maybe this could have worked if he was a heel, but he was the company’s top face at the time.

Everyone hated the match and Vince blamed Shane for it. He fired Shane and supposedly claimed that he would never get a pop in this company again. All the wrestlers backstage weren’t happy with Shane either, especially with how hard he was trying to put himself over through this creative clusterfuck of a match.

While it was from a few years earlier, it should be noted that while Vince would give these loving paragraph tweets to celebrate the birthdays of Stephanie, Triple H, and John Cena, Shane would get nothing more than a simple “Happy Birthday, @shanemcmahon!” Vince easily saw Shane as the Fredo Corleone of the family.

Shane would appear again, though. At WrestleMania 39 Night 2 over a year later, Miz and Snoop Dogg came out to announce the attendance number. Miz had lost an impromptu match the night earlier and claimed that he simply wasn’t ready. Then Shane came out to challenge Miz to an impromptu match of his own. As excited as the crowd was for this, Shane proceeded to tear his quad immediately.

Improvising a way around this, Snoop entered the ring and punched out Miz, pinning him and winning instead.

What a way to finish your career.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

For all that can be said about Vince McMahon, he understood completely that even if he was going to make himself the face of the TV show, the denouement of said TV show was for him to get kicked in the testicles, make a meme face, and then fall backwards into a port-a-potty that proceeds to roll down a large hill.

Stephanie, on the other hand, almost single-handedly ruined a lot of mid-2010s WWE television by trying to be Vince McMahon but with a Peggy Hill-esque lack of testicles. By that point in time, the TV networks had decided that it wasn't really ok to have a character who was a stuttering inbred who could only achieve sexual release by putting women through tables, and that in general you couldn't beat your wife for light comedic relief at all, which makes writing a 90s TV show super difficult.

So Stephanie would just tell the wrestlers that they suck and were lucky to have jobs and then they'd do the Charlie Brown walk to the back, which is definitely a great way to build the next Steve Austin. Although a couple of people did get popular with the crowd out of pure spite.

As a result, Shane coming back was popular with a lot of people, until they realised that Shane believed that back in the 90s he was a very famous wrestling man, and that people would be super excited to see him beat up Brock Lesnar. They were not. Yes, Vince had also put himself in pro-wrestling matches against actual wrestlers at age 50, but those mostly involved him rigging the odds massively and then still loving up and being kicked in the testicles. Shane was not a terrible wrestler, in the same sense that you can take someone like Logan Paul and he's smart and athletic enough to follow a match you've built, fall off a high thing, and have it be fun in the right context. He is not in any sense, but particularly as a grey-haired 50-year-old, an actually good wrestler who you'd pay money to watch him exchange holds with someone.

That said, Vince McMahon may be the literal only dude who booked himself as the bad guy on a wrestling show that understood that the goal was for him to yell about his dignity and then for his pants to fall down while someone plays a slide whistle. Russo, Bischoff, Hogan, Jarrett and the McMahon children all hosed this up.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

He was a good bad guy, especially in knowing that the bad guy's job in a story is to lose to the good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the best moments in recent wrestling was Nick Gage cutting Chris Jericho's head with a pizza cutter as a Domino's ad played in the bottom corner.