Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

The snail game gets a little easier to parse after the first hour or two where you literally are just clicking on red !'s the entire time. I still mostly have no idea what any of these upgrades or stats do but the core gameplay is just sending your snail out on missions and making upgrades with the stuff he finds. They just really inundate you with complete nonsense with no context for that first hour or so.

So there is no actual strategy at play then? Just clear red dots and mutate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

m.hache posted:

So there is no actual strategy at play then? Just clear red dots and mutate.

I mean kinda, yeah. It is definitely an idle game in that regard because when you don't have infinite time skips like you're provided in the first hour or two you're setting the guy off on an adventure and checking back later to see what he got so you can incrementally upgrade him to allow him to go further. New mechanics open up over time that allow you to upgrade in different ways.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

whiskas posted:

Through the Ages has by far the best tutorial of any mobile game I've played. It was a bit lengthy but still felt engaging and didn't feel like you were being herded like cattle from screen to screen.

Also a great board game.

And the tutorial was also funny. Shows that a decent tutorial can exist.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

explosivo posted:

I mean kinda, yeah. It is definitely an idle game in that regard because when you don't have infinite time skips like you're provided in the first hour or two you're setting the guy off on an adventure and checking back later to see what he got so you can incrementally upgrade him to allow him to go further. New mechanics open up over time that allow you to upgrade in different ways.

It is indeed definitely the kind of game that drowns you in things to do and things to build and things to click and then you're waiting for six hours for resources for the next thing to do. Which is not a problem, as long as you're aware of that going in.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's definitely less gameplay in this than Gumballs and Dungeons; that had a whole rpg dungeon crawling mode, with a lot of strategy revolving around who you chose to enter a dungeon and what you choose to do with level ups.

That being said I still really like QCPlay's games, there's something really fun about collecting a whole bunch of items that passively give you buffs, combined with their willingness to put items basically everywhere if you're willing to poke around all the nooks and crannies you can find.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok I can admit I was a bit drunk when first trying Super Snail. I played enough of it to hit an equilibrium point, and it is pretty engaging. I have no idea how long that'll last but oh well.

It's just surprising how hard it throws you into the systems; it kinda seems like figuring out what's even going on is a big part of the game.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
The speed of things flying at you comes grinding to a half real fast but honestly probably for the best. There's a good few hours of dopamine hits when you start with upgrades, relics, gear, unlocks etc that when I hit the end of the speed timers I was ok with it.

It's just a really complicated idler when you get down to it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Anyone eith a club on lorg fries 22? Think i got thru all the freebies drunk last night and read thru the wiki and kinda get it. The murals and where to place them im still confused with. And got demon form, but i dunno if i should be using that or not

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Best I can tell is your forms enhance your base snail. They have different modifiers. I think demon has more attack and less def.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i can't stop playing ultra blade for some reason, it's really got its hooks in me

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I've been playing snail for about 2.5 months now and have basically hit the end of the released content (around 4m), there is still more i can do but it requires getting better pulls. I check in 1-2 daily while I wait for the next exploration area to be added.
It continues the slow drip of new stuff fairly consistently but there are points where your progress is gated by luck as you mainly gain power thru stuff you get from the lotto ball, offering altar and wish pot. the game rotates per week between those 3 as 'weekly events' where you get currency for the other weekswhile you spend that current weeks currency. lve enjoyed it enough to buy one of the permanent VIP cards but otherwise didn't see a reason to rush thru the rng idle game.
they have been releasing new stuff frequently even with the full launch happening, but most of the new updates have been for people 1-2 months in.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SuperSnail has a truly terrible tutorial.

But once you get into it, it's a weird fusion of Idle Game and Stereotypical Mobile Game. It feels weird and meta. Almost like they did the bad tutorial on purpose. Like a family guy bit.

It doesn't hurt that the plot is a fever dream of silly nonsense, but I reeally wish there was that puzzle element that Gumballs & Dungeons had.

//edit

I advanced my relationship track with the kimchi snail and now I've got a weird totem in my pond and I have to choose a stat for a wish.

Sure. Why not?

Relentless fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 14, 2023

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I very rarely play mobile games, but I've got a flight tomorrow and I already finished my book. Can someone recommend a fun (ad/micro transaction free) match-3 type game on Android? I've played You Must Build A Boat to death now. Ideally what I'd like would be a mobile version (/ blatant ripoff) of Super Puzzle Fighter, something like that?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pipski posted:

I very rarely play mobile games, but I've got a flight tomorrow and I already finished my book. Can someone recommend a fun (ad/micro transaction free) match-3 type game on Android? I've played You Must Build A Boat to death now. Ideally what I'd like would be a mobile version (/ blatant ripoff) of Super Puzzle Fighter, something like that?

They made puzzle fighter 2 turbo for mobile. It didn't do well, they might have pulled it.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

leper khan posted:

They made puzzle fighter 2 turbo for mobile. It didn't do well, they might have pulled it.

Yeah, i went looking for that yesterday and apparently you're right, they did.

e; pull it, I mean.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

I've been playing snail for about 2.5 months now and have basically hit the end of the released content (around 4m), there is still more i can do but it requires getting better pulls. I check in 1-2 daily while I wait for the next exploration area to be added.
It continues the slow drip of new stuff fairly consistently but there are points where your progress is gated by luck as you mainly gain power thru stuff you get from the lotto ball, offering altar and wish pot. the game rotates per week between those 3 as 'weekly events' where you get currency for the other weekswhile you spend that current weeks currency. lve enjoyed it enough to buy one of the permanent VIP cards but otherwise didn't see a reason to rush thru the rng idle game.
they have been releasing new stuff frequently even with the full launch happening, but most of the new updates have been for people 1-2 months in.

Is there a good value vip thing to buy? I don't mind throwing a few $$ at the game. It's been fun.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Pipski posted:

Troll Patrol?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

Troll Patrol?

Cheers, that looks like it'll do the trick, I'll give it a shot. Ta.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

m.hache posted:

Is there a good value vip thing to buy? I don't mind throwing a few $$ at the game. It's been fun.

If you go to the bookshelf in the far right screen, you can find a purchase guide in the game tips section. Basically, the gold and silver VIP cards are permanent buffs that constantly drip feed you premium currency, with limited-purchase stuff like the Explore Value Pack being the next best value since they're giving you permanent SSR relics and the like and not just things you can grind slower normally.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
How do i send minions in super snail?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fyallm posted:

How do i send minions in super snail?

I think you have to either launch the rocket or open the garage, which isn't until you get to the third exploration zone.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

welp i've fallen down the snail hole. I'm sure I'll suddenly get completely bored of it like I usually do with games like this, but there's a lot about Super Snail that's making me like it more as I play it. realizing that each exploration area is gonna have some entirely unique upgrade paths, like the ninjitsu skills in the second zone, was pretty sweet, and the overall tone manages to be consistently amusing without ever getting obnoxious.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Martman posted:

welp i've fallen down the snail hole. I'm sure I'll suddenly get completely bored of it like I usually do with games like this, but there's a lot about Super Snail that's making me like it more as I play it. realizing that each exploration area is gonna have some entirely unique upgrade paths, like the ninjitsu skills in the second zone, was pretty sweet, and the overall tone manages to be consistently amusing without ever getting obnoxious.

Yeah it slows down considerably around this point, at least it has for me, but it's pretty great for a thing to poke at when I have some spare time but also spend a lot of time messing with upgrades and other side crap if I so desire.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do you lose the stat buffs when you put the relics in the museum?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I don't think so

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the tutorial stuff in the bookcase says those buffs are always active, but the special slot bonuses aren't active unless they're in the called for slot.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

explosivo posted:

Yeah the tutorial stuff in the bookcase says those buffs are always active, but the special slot bonuses aren't active unless they're in the called for slot.
Also sometimes the special slot bonuses aren't active at all until you upgrade the relic enough. or maybe that's always the case? but I think sometimes I've gotten ones where they're active right away

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Martman posted:

Also sometimes the special slot bonuses aren't active at all until you upgrade the relic enough. or maybe that's always the case? but I think sometimes I've gotten ones where they're active right away

Yeah I haven't quite figured this out either. I thought it was the item had to be upgraded to max stars before those slot bonuses activate but I think I've had some active at like one before max? Maybe it depends on the rarity.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Omg, I started playing super snail cause it was advertised to me and the graphics were super cool but I started it while listening to a podcast and 30 minutes in, I still couldn't access the settings to turn off the sfx and bgm and

Why do mobile devs lock you out of the settings when you just wanna turn off the noise? Does anyone ever even listen to the noise? My phone is muted unless I've got earbuds in.

Yeah so I uninstalled, mostly cause the on-rails tutorial and the previous chat makes me feel not dumb about feeling dumb in the tutorial

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
A little while ago I mentioned one of those King games where you rule over a kingdom with knights and lovers and make decisions for the kingdom and all that - well, they made an anime version that came out the other day called Isekai: Slow Life. It's gacha-adjacent but it seems so minor and rare, there's only a starting single pull a ways into the game and I don't even think it was random, you picked from a small character pool. People in the reviews are salty that you're forced into being male, which is understandable I guess. At any rate, the story is cute with some genuine humor and solid localization but incredibly anime-horny. Funny enough, they censored some cleavage in the Play Store ads that is definitely not censored in the game itself. Not everybody's cup of tea but I figured I'd throw it out there. I actually prefer the mechanics of this one to the one I was playing so I'm sticking with it for now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iskslowtest.mislen&hl=en_US&gl=US

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

A little while ago I mentioned one of those King games where you rule over a kingdom with knights and lovers and make decisions for the kingdom and all that - well, they made an anime version that came out the other day called Isekai: Slow Life. It's gacha-adjacent but it seems so minor and rare, there's only a starting single pull a ways into the game and I don't even think it was random, you picked from a small character pool. People in the reviews are salty that you're forced into being male, which is understandable I guess. At any rate, the story is cute with some genuine humor and solid localization but incredibly anime-horny. Funny enough, they censored some cleavage in the Play Store ads that is definitely not censored in the game itself. Not everybody's cup of tea but I figured I'd throw it out there. I actually prefer the mechanics of this one to the one I was playing so I'm sticking with it for now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iskslowtest.mislen&hl=en_US&gl=US

This has been filling my ads lately non-stop with bdsm and slave trading of the dog girl. I assume that isn't actually in the game, but it has made me not want to even look at the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The ads popping up in the snail game are insane. It's just 90% women getting objectified for games called like "ART OF WAR" or whatever. The one where you're repeatedly tazing a sexy blue robot woman as she seductively shows her rear end off is like.. cmon. Probably loving up a whole generation of kids with ads like this, clockwork orange style.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Shwqa posted:

This has been filling my ads lately non-stop with bdsm and slave trading of the dog girl. I assume that isn't actually in the game, but it has made me not want to even look at the game.

Uh wow, no that's not a thing.. She's an escaped slave so maybe they're banking on that? That's bizarre though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol oh nooooo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wait until you get the god of fame

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

explosivo posted:

The ads popping up in the snail game are insane. It's just 90% women getting objectified for games called like "ART OF WAR" or whatever. The one where you're repeatedly tazing a sexy blue robot woman as she seductively shows her rear end off is like.. cmon. Probably loving up a whole generation of kids with ads like this, clockwork orange style.
My ads are mostly for nerd poo poo like Warhammer. Haven't encountered a creepy one. Maybe they thought you'd like the weird ones for some reason :colbert:

Rapner
May 7, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Yeah this is definitely my jam. What server are you on? I'm on 27

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rapner posted:

Yeah this is definitely my jam. What server are you on? I'm on 27

8, from the looks of it. It definitely scratches some kind of itch, I was up at like 1:30 running story quests..

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

New Leaf posted:

8, from the looks of it. It definitely scratches some kind of itch, I was up at like 1:30 running story quests..

Meanwhile the only itch it gives me is that this is a reskin of those abusive Chinese Emperor games.

The main progression is real dollars, and most events will come down to how much you spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

There's a ton of active bundles but I have only spent a buck so far and haven't had the need to spend more. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.