Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

orcane posted:

E: Wait what version of Odyssey did I play, it absolutely had level gating and wasn't any better in terms of "and now gently caress around on different islands until you can survive in the next area the plot sends you to".

If you only do main story and nothing else you will get to the point where the enemies are buffed with skulls. It is bullshit of course, Valhalla is better in that regard as it just lets enemies be more dangerous, but not impossible. The point is, the game story is often telling you to go just do whatever, and there are plenty of quest chains the game wants you to take on. And unlike Origins, everything is auto leveled up, so doing a quest in a starting region is not going to give an insignificant reward.

If you follow the main story but also do the quests you see on your way you are very likely to be over-leveled - on my second playthrough I was level 50 at the end of the story when the requirement was 35, I think, and I only visited a couple of regions I wasn't sent to by the story, and didn't hunt cultists or Atlantis monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The future ending in Odyssey is the good one, sorry. Family stuff is alright but seeing Kassandra’s end is heartbreaking.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arivia posted:

The future ending in Odyssey is the good one, sorry. Family stuff is alright but seeing Kassandra’s end is heartbreaking.

It's a cool reveal but they didn't really think about the implications (what was she doing for thousands of years? why hasn't anyone met or heard of her? is she a businesswoman? why is it so important for Layla to get the staff now?) and then when they fill in those gaps in the next game you can tell they were struggling to answer those questions (secretly guarding various Isu artifacts, she's a paranoid recluse I guess, we don't know, and so a secret Isu reincarnate can wear a wolf-shirt).

Valhalla does a similar thing where about midway through they pose the question: why are Eivor's bones in America? And then they don't actually answer that question until a DLC released over a year later, and the answer is so bad you just know they came up with it afterwards to try and awkwardly fit it into the game they made.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a cool reveal but they didn't really think about the implications (what was she doing for thousands of years? why hasn't anyone met or heard of her? is she a businesswoman? why is it so important for Layla to get the staff now?) and then when they fill in those gaps in the next game you can tell they were struggling to answer those questions (secretly guarding various Isu artifacts, she's a paranoid recluse I guess, we don't know, and so a secret Isu reincarnate can wear a wolf-shirt).

Valhalla does a similar thing where about midway through they pose the question: why are Eivor's bones in America? And then they don't actually answer that question until a DLC released over a year later, and the answer is so bad you just know they came up with it afterwards to try and awkwardly fit it into the game they made.

Also, like, so she lived for all those years why didn't she keep an eye out for her ancestors? It makes her come off as some callous deadbeat when they introduced that stupid DLC. Had she just remained a mercenary with no earthly ties, it'd make sense and she'd just spend that time globetrotting through the ages like she did around Greece during the game. That DLC was awful for so many friggan reasons.

I just wish they'd go off the drat rail with that story. Kassandra showing up in modern day was a brief glimmer of hope but then flushed it down the toilet for a character who got written out of the story in the next game. A game with ancient aliens shouldn't be afraid to get really stupid. Like what if Kassandra figured out that the dumb immortality staff could support multiple people and Kassandra just goes around and collects all the games' protagonists and brings them into the modern age. Why? Who cares. They're the best face stabbers in history and the templars need a good face stabbing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This idea would signify a close to the story because you can't go anywhere after an event like that, and franchises don't have the end, the best they can hope for is some wrap-up comic book released 10 years after people stop caring.

They've already give themselves a possibility to allow Cassandra to waltz into any game they make in the future.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ilitarist posted:

If you only do main story and nothing else you will get to the point where the enemies are buffed with skulls. It is bullshit of course, Valhalla is better in that regard as it just lets enemies be more dangerous, but not impossible. The point is, the game story is often telling you to go just do whatever, and there are plenty of quest chains the game wants you to take on. And unlike Origins, everything is auto leveled up, so doing a quest in a starting region is not going to give an insignificant reward.

If you follow the main story but also do the quests you see on your way you are very likely to be over-leveled - on my second playthrough I was level 50 at the end of the story when the requirement was 35, I think, and I only visited a couple of regions I wasn't sent to by the story, and didn't hunt cultists or Atlantis monsters.

numbers in an action game O_o

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unfortunately Kassandrab lives, the Pythagoras scene shows us what happens when someone dies from relinquishing the staff (burns from the inside, dissolves into duest) and nothing like that that happens to her, she just falls on the ground and is not here the next time we visit the level.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ilitarist posted:

This idea would signify a close to the story because you can't go anywhere after an event like that, and franchises don't have the end, the best they can hope for is some wrap-up comic book released 10 years after people stop caring.

They've already give themselves a possibility to allow Cassandra to waltz into any game they make in the future.

Ten years of gathering the team, ten more years of said team stabbing face. After that? Ten years of stabbing face... in space!

After that? Reboot.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Unfortunately Kassandrab lives, the Pythagoras scene shows us what happens when someone dies from relinquishing the staff (burns from the inside, dissolves into duest) and nothing like that that happens to her, she just falls on the ground and is not here the next time we visit the level.

:hmmyes:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kuiperdolin posted:

If it wasn't for "duest" I wouldn't have second-guessed "Kassandrab" as a great name for her boring pantsuit era but now I'm wondering if it actually was just a wonderful typo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i feel like the inconsistency and length of the story in Odyssey doesn't really matter that much because Kassandra is still a fun character and a lot of the side characters are very entertaining as well, so I can enjoy myself whether its technically "good writing" or not. whereas the characters in Valhalla are mostly some combination of angry, depressed, consumed by stupid petty grudges, etc and the whole thing just has an overly serious vibe that drags the game down.

there is some good humor and occasional fun or interesting writing in the little encounters out in the world and some of the side stories and regional quests, and i thought Fulke was a cool charactr/villain. but any time either Sigurd or Dag were on screen it just sucked imo, they are some of the worst characters in the whole series. and i wasn't much of a fan of the portrayal of the Ragnarssons in the game either

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ulio posted:

Ya I know it was a big success and maybe you are right I am being too defensive about it's criticism. What kinda I meant was lets say if both GoT and AC had the same issue, AC would get way more flak for it and they kinda do. GoT has shitload of collect/checkmark poo poo which AC gets blasted for. I do think GoT does a better job at making those side repetitive stuff more rewarding with real upgrades and not random loot but AC has been getting better with that as well. Also I know it's for branding reasons but this game is just two different series in one and lots of the criticism for the old series have stuck even though they are not there or have been improved long ago(new issues did come up though).

Ya I've played all the big open world games I usually get around 70-80% if its good but on AC games I usually get close to 100%. Maybe it's just because I love the settings but I also love that they are great games to play with a podcast or something on the side, usually there isn't many cutscenes or dialogue/reading and the combat on hard is still easy enough to autopilot.

I 100% agree with you that every criticism leveled at an AC game is just as valid when it comes to GoT. It's like people were just so drat ready for a samurai japan game their critical brains just evaporated. Did people actually enjoy chasing a fox to an area you already knew where it was going? Did people really enjoy slowly picking disjointed lines to form a an anachronistic poem? I also thought the main story was kind of boring (turns out samurai are giant fuckin egotistical dumbasses!), but that the sidequests showed a profound lack of imagination. Every single one boiled down to the same "bandits/mongols did it, kill them" and any possibly imaginative setup was abandoned soon after to reveal it was just that. I dunno, it looks real good, and the extra rock, paper, scissors think layered on top of the combat was fun but man it didn't really offer much that any other AC game did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like the duel against the fake samurai

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

kassandra didn't change her hair style in 2000 years

e: uh the side content in these rpg style AC games is a million times more repetitive and annoying than GoT, what universe are you people living in? there's probably like more enemy bases to clear in a single island in Odyssey than in the entirety of Tsushima.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Regarding something the thread was talking about, AC:Jade spoilers (the mobile one, set in third centuary China): Kassandra shows up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mantis42 posted:

kassandra didn't change her hair style in 2000 years

If you nailed the sidebraid on your first try, would you change your hairstyle, either?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

If you nailed the sidebraid on your first try, would you change your hairstyle, either?

If we're taking this criticism seriously then it would make sense for her to use exactly the same hairstyle Layla would remember from using Animus.

But then I think it's exactly the same in Valhalla, so your justification is better.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

screaden posted:

It's like people were just so drat ready for a samurai japan game their critical brains just evaporated. Did people actually enjoy chasing a fox to an area you already knew where it was going?

yes?

what makes GoT special to me is not the fact that its set in Japan, its little touches exactly like that. following a fox instead of following a glowing icon. following a pillar of smoke on the horizon instead of following a different kind of glowing icon. following footsteps on a path that just look like natural footsteps on a path instead of going into some kind of special "vision mode" bullshit. to me that kind of thing makes a huge difference and I would appreciate it whether the game was set in Japan or Rome or Egypt or wherever else, i would love to see much more that kind of thing incorporated into AC and other open world games

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I never played Ghost of Tsushima but I agree with the notion that flavor like that is important.

AC writers sometimes try to write complex good story and it's all for naught. They should write boring predictable story appropriate for the setting. Odyssey and Valhalla are at their best when they just copypaste anecdotes about the era. There are a lot of generic stories in these games that could happen in any setting, and even when they're decently implemented they feel like a filler. Valhalla is weaker in terms of story (I rarely see world events that tell me "this is Dark Ages", especially with how everyone leaves notes everywhere. Odyssey has more quests concerning theater, statues, slaves, prophecies and all that stuff you'd recognize as Greek) but I appreciate it having activities made specifically for a Norseman, not just generic mini-games. I never heard about stone stacking before playing this game but it feels personalized for the setting and it's clear that Basim or whoever we play in the future won't bother with this. I hate this mini-game but I'm sure glad it's there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the thing is for all the historical research they do, they are also sometimes extremely sloppy. or i guess, broad. like yes, if you look at the specific year the Valhalla is set in, and the historical characters who appear in the story, thats technically "the Dark Ages". but they also brought in a huge amount of architecture, weapons, armor, clothing, etc. from much later into the medieval era, and even from other parts of the world. there are huge Norman-style stone castles all over England two centuries before the Normans even showed up (and it took them two more centuries to build that stuff after they did). you can wear brigandine armor, which wasn't introduced to Europe until the Mongol invasion in the 13th century, and you can wield a claymore, which was invented in the 15th century, almost into the renaissance. so it's not really going to look or feel like the Dark Ages, even if you've got Alfred and Ivar there to say that's what it is.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 3, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I really liked about GoT that I don't see most open world games do is give you the tools and clues you need to find everything. If you want to make things go quickly then sure you can pop open a GameFAQs page or YouTube tutorial but between the diegetic visual indicators, those chirping birds, the Traveller armour, and maybe something else I'm forgetting, you can both naturally discover things by yourself and also track down every last little thing you've missed without needing any outside resource or checklist and without it straight up actually telling you the location.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Earwicker posted:

the thing is for all the historical research they do, they are also sometimes extremely sloppy. or i guess, broad. like yes, if you look at the specific year the Valhalla is set in, and the historical characters who appear in the story, thats technically "the Dark Ages". but they also brought in a huge amount of architecture, weapons, armor, clothing, etc. from much later into the medieval era, and even from other parts of the world. there are huge Norman-style stone castles all over England two centuries before the Normans even showed up (and it took them two more centuries to build that stuff after they did). you can wear brigandine armor, which wasn't introduced to Europe until the Mongol invasion in the 13th century, and you can wield a claymore, which was invented in the 15th century, almost into the renaissance. so it's not really going to look or feel like the Dark Ages, even if you've got Alfred and Ivar there to say that's what it is.

It has been talked about to death already. Gameplay comes first, and if you want any cool locations or equipment in your game about Dark Ages then you have to make it not about the Dark Ages. You wouldn't want to climb wooden huts and wooden forts throughout the whole game while using simple equipment that does the job (though here as you play as an influential Viking they could totally get away with allowing you to import the equipment from all over the known world). I'm talking about the feels here, not historicity. Odyssey includes SPARTAN KICK from 300 and it has nothing to do with history, but you look at it and say yeah, this is Sparta indeed. I'm talking about these elements that help to distinguish the setting and add to the theme.

I don't like Unity but one thing it did was giving a nice flavor to repetitive small missions, some of which didn't even get voice acting. A lot of them were based on Paris urban myths or rumors. If I post their description here you'll be able to instantly tell it's a story from 18th century France. If I post descriptions of many side stories from many open-world games, including Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla, you will not be able to tell where this story comes from, maybe it's even from Witcher or Skyrim or whatever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GoT also had good combat unlike every AC game ever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sakurazuka posted:

GoT also had good combat unlike every AC game ever

origins and odyssy has pretty good combat but yeah GoT had really good combat, just different from AC.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

It has been talked about to death already. Gameplay comes first, and if you want any cool locations or equipment in your game about Dark Ages then you have to make it not about the Dark Ages. You wouldn't want to climb wooden huts and wooden forts throughout the whole game while using simple equipment that does the job

well yeah, but in that case there's no real reason to even set the story in the dark ages, they could have written just as decent (or much better) of an AC game story if it had been set in 13th century england or france or whatever, it's just kind of seemed to me that its set in the dark ages because thats when vikings, an extremely popular video game subject, were around so they just kind of mashed it all up into a more generic medieval-ish experience.

but there's nothing really about the "viking-ness" of Eivor or the other characters that serves either the gameplay or the feeling well, imo. in terms of feeling it just kind of coats everything in this layer of additional angst and brooding, and in terms of gameplay i feel like the whole longboat/crew thing had potential but they completely half-assed it, and the raids were mostly kind of irritating, and the combat has a more sluggish feel. i don't think the series does well with set piece battles in general - i found the battle system in Odyssey a bit more fluid and dynamic at least, though also not one of that game's strengths either. really the only positive thing that the "dark age/vikings" layer adds to the setting was getting Wardruna to contribute to the soundtrack

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ubisoft has a month of Ubisoft+ for $1 if anyone wants to try Ragnarok or whatever.
(I'm pretty sure the subscription now includes it)

https://store.ubisoft.com/us/ubisoftplus?lang=en_US

Offer ends tomorrow.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 7, 2023

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I just finished my first playthrough of Unity, and it wasn't so bad. Arno's kinda boring but I liked how his parkour felt different from Ezio's. Since I'm waiting for Starfield to come out I'm going through and playing stuff in my library I either never played or never finished, so I installed AC3 remastered. What a terrible loving idea to make you play for 3 hours before you even get to be the main character!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i remember really really wanting to like AC3 because Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorite movies ever and AC3 was basically looking like the closest thing we were ever going. to get to Last of the Mohicans: the Videogame. but it was such a loving disappointment. there were moments in the game where i had fun but imo its by far the worst game in the whole series. i'll add the caveat that i never played Rogue, but i heard it wasnt as bad.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Rogue is quite good and can actually be closer to what you expected from AC3 cause it's set during the same war and the feeling of unexplored frontier is much stronger there. A lot of it takes place around Canada so it's more snowy though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ha, I realized I somehow had Rogue so that's what I'm playing now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The first AC game to acknowledge how loving conspicuous the standard assassin's getup is?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The outfit concept in Liberation is really cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i really wish this series had just straight up stolen the disguise mechanic from Hitman, most of the default Assassin outfits are kind of ridiculous. plus all the different disguises you could potentially use in different eras would be really fun

honestly a crossover between the two series' would be amazing. like Hitman-sized sandbox levels in which you can disguise yourself as anyone and set up crazy shenanigan assassinations, except in a bunch of different historical eras

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 17, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Earwicker posted:

well yeah, but in that case there's no real reason to even set the story in the dark ages, they could have written just as decent (or much better) of an AC game story if it had been set in 13th century england or france or whatever, it's just kind of seemed to me that its set in the dark ages because thats when vikings, an extremely popular video game subject, were around so they just kind of mashed it all up into a more generic medieval-ish experience.

but there's nothing really about the "viking-ness" of Eivor or the other characters that serves either the gameplay or the feeling well, imo. in terms of feeling it just kind of coats everything in this layer of additional angst and brooding, and in terms of gameplay i feel like the whole longboat/crew thing had potential but they completely half-assed it, and the raids were mostly kind of irritating, and the combat has a more sluggish feel. i don't think the series does well with set piece battles in general - i found the battle system in Odyssey a bit more fluid and dynamic at least, though also not one of that game's strengths either. really the only positive thing that the "dark age/vikings" layer adds to the setting was getting Wardruna to contribute to the soundtrack

I like that AC1 doesnf have any dissonance because youre just straight up one of the hashashin

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Earwicker posted:

honestly a crossover between the two series' would be amazing. like Hitman-sized sandbox levels in which you can disguise yourself as anyone and set up crazy shenanigan assassinations, except in a bunch of different historical eras

It sounds fun, but on a fundamental level Hitman and Assassins are very different. A perfect job for 47 is when nobody knows he was even there, and the target seems to die in an accident (I assume investigation later shows it was a murder but by that time 47 is on the other side of the world and the Agency probably tampers with the evidence). Assassins - both in-game secret society and I think the historical society too - want the murder to be seen, they want to scare their enemies. Even when AC game gives you some special murder way it's very obviously a murder that puts everyone on alert.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

A perfect job for 47 is when nobody knows he was even there, and the target seems to die in an accident (I assume investigation later shows it was a murder

i mean yea technically but do most people actually play the game that way? i mean yes its kind of fun to try to do it perfectly and to get achievements or whatever, but its way more fun when everyone in the level is running around freaking out trying to find the murderer, while you're standing there mopping the floor

and yeah i know it doesnt quite fit with the AC lore. i think it'd be better as just a Hitman game, but set in different periods.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some of the challenges for Hitman require louder/more public approaches and the recent rogue-lite mode rewards (and basically necessitates) a wider range of styles than a maximum stealth one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Doing a historical Hitman is tricky too because a lot of Hitman design relies on understanding social roles, modern technology and gadgets. That Vita game featured a girl switching from slave outfit to lady outfit to be unnoticed in specific places, you can't go blunter than that. I can imagine, say, Basim using a guard outfit and a nobleman outfit, but not much else except for rare cases where he'd need to infiltrate, say, mine and have to dress like a miner.

And with gadgets and opportunities it might feel too handholdy if the game has to constantly explain too you what is going to happen. Like when you replace a golf ball with a ball you don't need a lot of context, I imagine it would be different if you have to exploit a hobby of someone from a different time and culture. There are many generic creative murders like heavy stuff falling or wild animals getting out, but this is already in the game, just used in a general gameplay, just not used for scenic murders.

But now that I've thought about there's nothing impossible here. The biggest issue I see is that Ubisoft and many other developers are probably really afraid to tell players that this game will probably take 4 hours to complete but wait, if you go for all the achievements and special cool stuff you'll spend hundreds of hours here.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ilitarist posted:

Doing a historical Hitman is tricky too because a lot of Hitman design relies on understanding social roles, modern technology and gadgets. That Vita game featured a girl switching from slave outfit to lady outfit to be unnoticed in specific places, you can't go blunter than that. I can imagine, say, Basim using a guard outfit and a nobleman outfit, but not much else except for rare cases where he'd need to infiltrate, say, mine and have to dress like a miner.

I thought it was a really neat touch that in the part of AC: Syndicate when you go to the ball, where as Evie's wearing a formal dress she can't move like she normally does. Disguises actually impacting what you can do physically in games would be a really interesting mechanic that would work with that. But probably an annoying mechanic for most people I imagine.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

10 Beers posted:

I just finished my first playthrough of Unity, and it wasn't so bad. Arno's kinda boring but I liked how his parkour felt different from Ezio's. Since I'm waiting for Starfield to come out I'm going through and playing stuff in my library I either never played or never finished, so I installed AC3 remastered. What a terrible loving idea to make you play for 3 hours before you even get to be the main character!

Unity is a game I like the setting and what they could have done, but the bugs and execution killed it.

The combat changes weren’t the best either, I think most people are fine with the one hit kills and nothing too challenging combat wise unless you get swarmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ilitarist posted:

You can easily get a lot more variety than that for a specific location. A generic Hitman area might have outdoor staff, indoor staff, kitchen staff, important people, normal guards and elite guards (plus a few unique disguises) and you could easily translate that to pretty much any AC setting.

But Hitman's globetrotting formula gives them a lot more scope to mix things up whereas AC's more localised setting is going to lead to more uniformity. A conspiracy gala on a remote Scottish island is going to feel different to a Miami racetrack in a way that two different buildings in Victorian London won't.