Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Planescape is the coolest setting, too bad it's been defunct for ages.

dark sun rules too but they'r eboth a product of their time and it would take a really special effort to revisit them (not current wizards)

btw planescape is getting a reboot for 5e and it's probably gonna be meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

(not current wizards)

btw planescape is getting a reboot for 5e and it's probably gonna be meh

:negative:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol yeah

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I loved how in Torment, somehow, BIS nailed the atmosphere of Sigil in an IE game. Just feeling weird and uneasy the entire time for nebulous-yet-well-founded reasons.

Modern WOTC are no late-90s TSR or BIS.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

interplay in the mid-late 90s made so loving many good games

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Genesplicer posted:

I like how he really Baldured that Gate. Really summed up the game for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I was really hoping there would be more spoilers for Baldurs gate 1 in this thread.

If anyone asks me "Hey are there any interesting plot twists in the Baldurs gate 1 game?" like I'd have to just say I dunno, and then they'd probably never talk to me again!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

dr_rat posted:

I was really hoping there would be more spoilers for Baldurs gate 1 in this thread.

If anyone asks me "Hey are there any interesting plot twists in the Baldurs gate 1 game?" like I'd have to just say I dunno, and then they'd probably never talk to me again!

Baldur's Gate 1 is about a politician and war hero who uses a far ranging conspiracy of false flag tactics to commit genocide for extreme personal gain under the guise of a popular geopolitical conflict. You, the protagonist, having escaped one such an attack, find yourself beset on all angles by paid assassins.

You take to freebooting across a conflict ladel countryside and end up discovering the truth: You are the child of an evil god who foresaw his own death. He devised a plan to have many children in hopes that the most powerful and ruthless of which would be his reincarnation, a literal avatar of murder itself. This is a clever inversion of the Christ myth.

Ultimately the game presents you with a moral choice, expounded upon greatly in the sequel: Do you fufill the heretical prophecy as the new god of death, do you defy all odds and turn it to a force of good, or do you reject it all and walk your own path?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wizard2 posted:

Ultimately the game presents you with a moral choice, expounded upon greatly in the sequel: Do you fufill the heretical prophecy as the new god of death, do you defy all odds and turn it to a force of good, or do you reject it all and walk your own path?
Thanks!

And that's not a trick question is it, as obviously the right answer is the become a god one. If you select one of the other two, does the game tell you, you suck than show the you lose the game screen?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Cloudkill is ur char farting.

nice, just brapppppapapapaping my way through the underdark

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Thanks!

And that's not a trick question is it, as obviously the right answer is the become a god one. If you select one of the other two, does the game tell you, you suck than show the you lose the game screen?

don’t worry they retconned it so nobody’s in game choices mattered iirc.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

dr_rat posted:

Thanks!

nah. all three major endings are pretty neat if not vague.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Among other roleplaying reasons, you need to end as a mortal to see the romance conclusions.

That also means you can "fix" the damaged goods elven waif with your true love, have a child with her (that she crams into her backpack carries through your adventures in game), and then just ghost her to become a god.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

zedprime posted:

Among other roleplaying reasons, you need to end as a mortal to see the romance conclusions.

That also means you can "fix" the damaged goods elven waif with your true love, have a child with her (that she crams into her backpack carries through your adventures in game), and then just ghost her to become a god.

figurative and literal damaged goods! shes a winged elf but her wings have been cut off. can you teach her how to fly again? :whitewater:

sad question
May 30, 2020

One day the murderer of the Xvart village will be apprehended

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

naem posted:

I played divinity something turn based, something, and

a lizard guy was kind of a jerk to me to I didn’t recruit him, or killed him?

anyways I needed him to fight for me on the team and couldn’t make any more progress and decided not to play because if I want to tolerate people I don’t like for their skill sets I can just go work in any office anywhere

All the best characters are kind of jerks at first. I always feel glad when someone rejects a companion because they're too self important in the game to handle a little guff. That companion deserves better than a fuddy duddy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i liked in torment when it finally started to dawn that you're the singular rear end in a top hat that ruined all these peoples' lives

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
You can abbreviate the game as Baldur's G8.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

no you cant. final warning

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Why did it have xvarts instead of like, goblins? What the gently caress is an xvart even? I just assumed they were dumbass blue goblins or something.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Blowdryer posted:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no you cant. final warning

Another great call by the GBS Moderator Team 🫡

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Ballers Gay

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

sad question posted:

One day the murderer of the Xvart village will be apprehended

Mistakes were made

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Why did it have xvarts instead of like, goblins? What the gently caress is an xvart even? I just assumed they were dumbass blue goblins or something.

a xvart is, indeed, a dumbass blue goblin

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MrQwerty posted:

i liked in torment when it finally started to dawn that you're the singular rear end in a top hat that ruined all these peoples' lives

Not only that, you suck so bad that your own magically-separated mortality given physical form is going to do whatever it can to make sure it never has to be a part of you again

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MrQwerty posted:

Technically didn't Morte ruin his own life? I don't remember the details but I thought he was damned due to loving over TNO before he became immortal

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jon Irenicus isn't in the first game, but you can loot a kickass spider sword from his jilted ex-girlfriend

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Deki posted:

Technically didn't Morte ruin his own life? I don't remember the details but I thought he was damned due to loving over TNO before he became immortal

I think Morte lied to a previous incarnation that Ravel could make him immortal which got TNO cursed into his current state with memory loss. Morte is a good guy so does feel guilty about it and gets more powerful if you forgive him.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

Not only that, you suck so bad that your own magically-separated mortality given physical form is going to do whatever it can to make sure it never has to be a part of you again

Yeah, but that guy's an rear end in a top hat, too. Who cares what he wants? Ravel, IMO, did nothing wrong and didn't deserve that (except for all hose murders and tortures she did, I guess, but that's just night hag things).

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Extra Large Marge posted:

Jon Irenicus isn't in the first game, but you can loot a kickass spider sword from his jilted ex-girlfriend

this

sad question
May 30, 2020

Extra Large Marge posted:

You also get this dialogue option

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

They're people who were exiled for their beliefs in the curative properties of colloidal silver.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Caesar Saladin posted:

Xvarts and Gibberlings are both featured in Fiend Folio, so the Bioware crew mightve gotten them from there for the tabletop D&D game that became the Baldurs Gate video game.

I cant be sure but I vaguely feel like at one point there was some Beamdog stream where they were asked this, "Why Xvarts? Why the Xvart village?," and Oster and co. were evasive either to be silly or...? 🤷🏻

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Heya, it's-a me, Imoen!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MrQwerty posted:

There's hanging dong in BG3 op

There's anti gravity dong if you take your pants off before the nautiloid crashes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

No but video games should be different than real life!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Xvarts are doing gang initiations in the woods.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

dr_rat posted:

The first dungeon is full of traps, including a bunch around the chest containing the final boss’s loot and the entrance/exits to the different levels. They must be really annoying for the creatures that live there. It’s like setting a bear trap in front of your fridge and a swinging saw blade in the porch.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think Morte lied to a previous incarnation that Ravel could make him immortal which got TNO cursed into his current state with memory loss. Morte is a good guy so does feel guilty about it and gets more powerful if you forgive him.

I left Morte at the Pillar once and I really didn't like it, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dial A For Awesome posted:

The first dungeon is full of traps, including a bunch around the chest containing the final boss’s loot and the entrance/exits to the different levels. They must be really annoying for the creatures that live there. It’s like setting a bear trap in front of your fridge and a swinging saw blade in the porch.

Working in a dungeon as a monster must suck so much. So many OSHA hazards everywhere. There must just be work place injuries and deaths all the time.

Monsters really need a better union. :(