Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Killer robot posted:

This is only half true. Salicylic acid found in willow bark isn't used as an internal painkiller today. It's mostly used as a topical treatment for skin conditions like warts and psoriasis. The reason is that it has nasty side effects when taken internally, with a significant risk of severe gastric disturbances or intestinal bleeding. You know how aspirin can give you an upset stomach? The original was much worse.
Aspirin isn't just a refined and concentrated version: it's a synthetic drug, acetylsalicylic acid. While it was initially produced using bark-derived salicylic acid as a raw material, it's a lab-manufactured chemical that's far superior to the natural plant extract that it was based on. It's a perfect example of how traditional remedies that work get turned into medicine.

Extra fun fact. "Aspirin" was originally a trademark of the Bayer company, the first major manufacturer of acetylsalicylic acid. They lost the rights to the trademark in much of the world after WW1, however. Another former Bayer trademark that became a household name also was used for a synthetic chemical produced from a plant extract. It was a popular cough medicine around the turn of the 20th century, but the formal name of diacetylmorphine was a bit of a mouthful.

And in turn heroin was viewed as far less harmful than opium in the UK throughout the first half of the 20th century, until they fell for the DEA's lies and introduced strict prohibition, raising the number of addicts from 47 in 1955 to the tens of thousands in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Sex is sinful. That's all of it. Probably the Devil making it feel good. However a good Christian woman never enjoys it(mostly because the horrific ignorance and indoctrinated revulsion means it's supposed to be strictly missionary style and the fewer strokes it takes for him to finish the better).

Masturbation's prohibitions go back further than modernity, and largely lie in our moronic ideas of how the body works. Think how old timey boxers and other athletes were told that getting off before the match/game will make you worse. That was then tied up in morality, then religion. Then in America we got some real hosed up dudes who managed to become popular health gurus. Graham, Kellogg, and other weirdos. Their anti-horny diets and exercise beliefs got a real boost because all our food was loving terrible, so eating a bland but less perishable diet did make you feel better. Puritanical idiocy is our nations bread and butter. Which is also why we decided to make circumcision the cultural norm. It'll make you less likely to masturbate. Dr. Stick Up His rear end swears.

:eng101: In Kellogg's case, it wasn't a stick up the rear end the good doctor recommended!

quote:

Good-natured, somewhat maniacal head of the Battle Creek Sanatarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. Preaching a lifestyle of exercise, fresh air, and an astounding amount of enemas, Dr. Kellogg pioneered many good ideas utilized in modern health but accompanied them with many other less helpful theories. Among the more memorable were his insistence of removing portions of patients' bowels that he thought aided in spreading disease (due to rotten food overstaying its welcome within a body) and an amusing procedure wherein yogurt was given to both ends of the digestive system simultaneously.

An easy theory would be that sex has to be sinful because that way women are easily branded as property, and the only not-Devil-approved sex is between man and his wife. That was the moral of the Onan and widow story, too, sort of, she can't inherit but a baby boy could.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 17, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

:eng101: In Kellogg's case, it wasn't a stick up the rear end the good doctor recommended!

*guy with his hand hidden inside his jacket and an odd smile on his face*
Ah, the non-masturbator.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Killer robot posted:

This is only half true.

Half truths are the best kind!

Seriously, good write-up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The 15 year old j/o artiste walks around with his mouth wide open - ready for cock, no doubt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eva Braun is fuckin cancelled

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

For the anti abortion crowd, especially the hardcore ones with the graphic images of fetuses and poo poo, how do they rationalize things like contraception and the morning after pill that 100% involve no "butchery" or "murder" in any way whatsoever? Is the idea that loving should always result in a baby and, if so, why didn't God make it so that that always happens?

From a catholic perspective, you can skip a bunch of Thomas Aquinas recapitulating Aristotelian teleology and say that the medieval church decided that you're sinning if you're not following god's purpose for you, which for humans is to make babies. (The medieval church devoted a lot of careful study and impeccable logic to establish a complete system of social control discern exactly what god was thinking on day 6 of his first workweek.) And to be clear, loving is the means not the end, so you gotta gently caress in good faith. loving without a chance of conception is obviously thwarting god's plan, so condoms are sin, the pill is a sin, etc. Whether or not a baby happens is irrelevant as long as you're fulfilling your role in the plan. Why doesn't god make a baby every time we gently caress? Couldn't say, you can't understand what god is thinking.

There have been critiques of this reasoning.

On top of that, the anti-abortion movement continues a very long religious tradition of not understanding science at all, so there is a widespread belief that various form of contraception are abortifacients, which is to say their mechanism of action is actually an itty bitty abortion, ie butchery and murder! This isn't actually how most of them (the pill, IUDs, Plan B) work, but it also didn't change anything back when masturbation scientists realized every load shot isn't a holocaust of homunculi, either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

a holocaust of homunculi

Well, now I know what I'll call my garage :umberto: metal band

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I've been falling down a Tradcath rabbit hole for the past few months (please send help) and, yeah, "sex that doesn't result in a baby is not God's plan for us" is a pretty common sentiment with them, and they're one of the major players in the movement. Not every pro-lifer follows that exact reasoning, of course, but the ones who do are pretty explicit that their main gripe is that sex should have consequences.

Babies are simultaneously a precious gift from God and a terrible punishment that drag you down for the rest of your life.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gyges posted:

Sex is sinful. That's all of it. Probably the Devil making it feel good. However a good Christian woman never enjoys it(mostly because the horrific ignorance and indoctrinated revulsion means it's supposed to be strictly missionary style and the fewer strokes it takes for him to finish the better).

Interestingly, the original Puritans believed that conception required the woman to orgasm, and so the most repressed, controlling sect of colonial-era America probably were among the more progressive in that one, narrow aspect of sexual experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Peter Daou has now entered the terminal stage of leftist grifting: defending Trump - who you do NOT support

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Sure Trump tried to destroy the democratic process and overthrow the legitamate government, but have you considered maybe that maybe the real crime here is being a politician in the first place?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the last bullet point. peter needs to read The Party Decides

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The Maui fires were caused by orbital lasers, apparently:

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/08/how-a-5-year-old-spacex-photo-fueled-maui-wildfire-conspiracy-theorists/

Maui truthers are so dumb they’re using a Falcon 9 photo as wildfire evidence

There were some time-lapse photos of a Falcon launch at Vandenberg a few years ago that admittedly do look like a scifi laser, so of course people are running with it despite Vandenberg being in California, not Hawaii. I'm not sure why you'd use a giant space laser instead of a can of gas and a lighter, but then again I'm not in the Illuminati.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

cat botherer posted:

I'm not sure why you'd use a giant space laser instead of a can of gas and a lighter, but then again I'm not in the Illuminati.
If I wanted to ignite a huge wildfire for some reason, and I already had a giant space laser lying around, you better believe I'm gonna use the laser even if a gas can is simpler

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

cat botherer posted:

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/08/how-a-5-year-old-spacex-photo-fueled-maui-wildfire-conspiracy-theorists/

There were some time-lapse photos of a Falcon launch at Vandenberg a few years ago that admittedly do look like a scifi laser, so of course people are running with it despite Vandenberg being in California, not Hawaii. I'm not sure why you'd use a giant space laser instead of a can of gas and a lighter, but then again I'm not in the Illuminati.

I was on Maui a month ago and there's nowhere on the coast that looks anything like that photo.

Jesus Christ, people are dumb.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

If I wanted to ignite a huge wildfire for some reason, and I already had a giant space laser lying around, you better believe I'm gonna use the laser even if a gas can is simpler

when all you have is a laser, all problems look like forests

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

zoux posted:

Eva Braun is fuckin cancelled

Terrible Suspicion:
Was Hitler an antisemite?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Oh ok, I saw a bunch of checkies whining about his use of "laser-focused" in a tweet I thought they were just mad about Dark Brandon memes

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1691109605278179328

real brain trust they got over there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

Terrible Suspicion:
Was Hitler an antisemite?
What the mainstream news won't tell you:

Did Hitler have a secret mustache?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Top middle - closer to Jeffrey Tambor or Giuliani?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best example being decoction of willow bark. It's a traditional natural herbal remedy made from trees that humans used for thousands of years for all kinds of problems. Then we refined it and super concentrated it and turned it into a little pill you could easily swallow instead of a bunch of nasty gross brown liquid. It works!

If other herbal remedies really worked then a bunch of German scientists in the 1890's would have turned them into pills

The biggest problem with natural remedies, even if they work, is that you have no control over the quality of the product.

To go back to willow bark, the amount of salicin in willow bark varies from tree to tree and from year to year on the same tree. Even different parts of the same tree, harvested on the same day.

You never know what dose you are going to get - ineffective, mild, therapeutic or toxic.

Remember, the first rule of toxicology: dose makes the poison.

Not only does modern medicine give you consistent doses of what you need, it also purifies it and removes all the useless or harmful poo poo that you might otherwise be exposed to from boiling chunks of bark in a pot on the stove for a few hours.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Interestingly, the original Puritans believed that conception required the woman to orgasm, and so the most repressed, controlling sect of colonial-era America probably were among the more progressive in that one, narrow aspect of sexual experience.
Real progressive to claim that all pregnant women were asking for it/enjoyed it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

Real progressive to claim that all pregnant women were asking for it/enjoyed it.

I'm sorry, you're currently out of O-Tokens. Your next release is in: 5 years. Gobbles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1693475329690464590

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

DeSantis's new nickname is "Dumpy Homelander"

Good luck with that, lady.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People should be put in facilities that comport with their personal gender expression. Even setting aside the ethics of it, it's a safety issue.

But I do get the bafflement at marginalized populations joining movements that want to eradicate them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
What's the medium? Trump Tower taco bowl aftermath with gold leaf?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

DeSantis's new nickname is "Dumpy Homelander"

Good luck with that, lady.

Hang on, is she in a male jail and wants to go to a female one or the other way around? I can't parse the sentence

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

She was AMAB is what I'm reading here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

notaspy posted:

Hang on, is she in a male jail and wants to go to a female one or the other way around? I can't parse the sentence

The former

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/J6ssicaWatkins/status/1693621311380045909

If this is her then then she is claiming to be housed in a men's jail and is about to be remanded to a federal mens' prison, which would violate FBP policy and apparently the orders of the judge in this case.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I empathize with her because I am pretty sure that regardless of crimes-status, what transfem hasn't worried about going to guy prison? Triply so if they have been on hormones for any period of time. But still, like what the gently caress did you expect, girl? You did a terrorism. I have empathy but no sympathy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Women shouldn't be in men's prisons no matter what crime they did. But MTG, Jim Jordan, and Matt Gaetz all disagree on that one. She should at least be asking some of the trans ally representatives "yeah I hosed up and did crimes, but still have the right to protection from cruel and unusual punishments, can you help?"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

zoux posted:

People should be put in facilities that comport with their personal gender expression. Even setting aside the ethics of it, it's a safety issue.

But I do get the bafflement at marginalized populations joining movements that want to eradicate them.

"I'm one of The Good Ones (tm), and I will be spared, because I'm special."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

"I'm one of The Good Ones (tm), and I will be spared, because I'm special."
also, why is the face-eating leopard eating my face?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

yes that was the point of the post. she is a trans woman who through her lot in with people who despise her existence. I hope she gets transfered to a womens' prison, but so far her efforts to achieve that are pretty misguided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007