Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

get on Apple health it's been useful for me

Seconding this if you're able to, Apple Health is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pingui posted:

You will note their framing is (paraphrased): "it is similar to Omicron. Omicrons symptoms are these."

So I am reasonably confident they are referring to this:
interesting idea, but that's not the framing

quote:

In the UK, where Eris has also made ground, the Zoe Health Study has indicated its symptoms are similar to those of Omicron

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Zerg Mans posted:

One of the funnier things in the post covid world is people who stopped masking are realizing how hosed up the air was before covid. Its not normal to get a cold 10 times a year folks!

I saw what was on the filters of my old honeywell. Never loving unmasking after that lmao.

salient
Jan 2, 2021
the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

*screams internally in public health student*

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mawarannahr posted:

get on Apple health it's been useful for me. I used chpw

I don't know if I can this year, I've made too much money and open enrollment isn't until what, like November? I have a friend of a friend who is a doctor and can get me health insurance info so I'll reach out to them for tips.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Lacrosse posted:

I don't know if I can this year, I've made too much money and open enrollment isn't until what, like November? I have a friend of a friend who is a doctor and can get me health insurance info so I'll reach out to them for tips.

I'm pretty sure if your situation changes (quit / lose your job, lose your health insurance, etc.) you can get on it immediately. You might want to give them a call (and if you get someone who's a dick about it, try again).

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
What are my odds of a false positive on a 2 month expired Lucira?

Woke up blowing my nose a lot and I have like 10 of these tests that expired on July 7th sitting around. Figured, "why not" and took one, only for it to show covid positive.

I'm taking a RAT and another Lucira in the meantime.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

salient posted:

tfw you're cutting corners on finding case studies so you just make one up

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Woke up blowing my nose a lot and I have like 10 of these tests that expired on July 7th sitting around. Figured, "why not" and took one, only for it to show covid positive.

I swear someone posted a couple months back about an expired Lucira showing positive, that I think ended up being a false positive after multiple RAT and/or maybe a PCR.

I would definitely isolate as if positive until you can get some confirmation. But I might not break out the paxlovid yet.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

salient posted:

you shouldn't worry. I bet she washes her hands before class.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Luciras in general I think have some failure modes that aren't advertised all that well that can result in false positives (like I had a false positive scare with one where on closer inspection the test body was clearly damaged; follow-ups were all negative), but I don't think expiration causes that. You'd probably get the invalid result indicator.

I'd assume you got got unless there's something physically wrong with the test unit and try to schedule a lab pcr.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

salient posted:

I would bring this to the attention of the epi department's chair. If the prof is an adjunct or junior faculty, they may feel obligated to teach even though they are sick. Hopefully the chair has some sense.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rosalind posted:

Since I was invited to participate in this thread and since the OP was said to be rewritten to be more accurate, I just wanted to point out:

This is partially wrong in a few different ways. Paxlovid combines the drugs nirmatrelvir and ritonavir. Nirmatrelvir is a wholly new drug that was developed in 2020 specifically for treating COVID-19. Ritonavir, aka Norvir, is a medication for treating/managing HIV infection which causes AIDS. I know it's common to confuse HIV and AIDS but they are in fact different things. HIV is the virus that is treated and AIDS is the disease than manifests if HIV is left untreated. Many people are given ritonavir who do not, and will never, have AIDS.

A better wording of this sentence for clarity that more accurately describes Paxlovid would be:

thank you! this is really helpful

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Babe, wake up. The mirror universe’s ivermectin has revealed itself.

Exposure to lung-migrating helminth protects against murine SARS-CoV-2 infection through macrophage-dependent T cell activation

In short, of mice are infected with this curly bugger, they fight off SARS‑CoV‑2 more effectively.

Will one U.S. public health failure cancel out another? Probably not.

huh, so ivermectin hurts you by killing off all the beneficial parasitic worms :hmmrona:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ooooh poo poo lmao egg hasn't even got the chance to really spread their wings and we already have a super scary variant that is now being seeded across the globe? Even the WHO just immediately added it as variant under monitoring.

https://twitter.com/vipintukur/status/1692001606185656490

This is probably why this is gonna be a big deal lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mawarannahr posted:

interesting idea, but that's not the framing

I think you are misinterpreting their framing. Let me try a different tack:

quote:

In the UK, where Eris has also made ground, the Zoe Health Study has indicated its symptoms are similar to those of Omicron [which are: *points to last Omicron data*]

There is no new study out. The Zoe team just confirmed that it hasn't changed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the current rapid test wisdom? Specifically:

1: is expired ok as long as the control line 'lights up'?
2: I've heard various things about when to test, that conflict. Do you test as soon as you get symptoms? wait a couple of days for it to be able to show up? etc? I know you're supposed to test at least twice over multiple days.
3: throat then nose swabs, is that correct? Do you cough first, blow your nose first, some other thing?

When I got covid last it took about 2 days to show up on a rapid test. A friend's girlfriend got it and it took 6 days of awful symptoms before she tested positive, testing every day. Now I read stuff online about testing positive before any symptoms at all, or on the first day of symptoms.

edit: the local 'vax bus' was the only possible way I could get my kids vaccinated. our doctor didn't do vaccines for kids nor did our previous doctor, or local pharmacies (cvs/walgreens). The vax bus has now been phased out, so, lollll. not sure if I can get the kids shots if/when they come out next month.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Unexpired lucira 6% false positive rate

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

this may or may not apply to you - if you are married or are otherwise a dependent, your loss of insurance counts as a "change of life event" for which your spouse/dependee(?) is eligible to an ad-hoc open enrollment period

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redreader posted:

2: I've heard various things about when to test, that conflict. Do you test as soon as you get symptoms? wait a couple of days for it to be able to show up? etc? I know you're supposed to test at least twice over multiple days.
3: throat then nose swabs, is that correct? Do you cough first, blow your nose first, some other thing?

When I got covid last it took about 2 days to show up on a rapid test. A friend's girlfriend got it and it took 6 days of awful symptoms before she tested positive, testing every day. Now I read stuff online about testing positive before any symptoms at all, or on the first day of symptoms.

There's no real way to be certain. Even if specific omocron subvariants have been shown to show up on rapids sooner or later compared to previous subvariants (and this seems to be mostly anecdotal anyway) there's no way of knowing which subvariant you might've got, there's at least a dozen circulating right now.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

nexous posted:

they would commit you to the psych ward

I’ve only had experience with one really bad Dr, My wife’s old Dr who spent 10 minutes berating her for wearing a mask in early 2021 and making her cry

My PCP, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, and urologist are all cool and good

My GP's fantastic. She's never stopped taking COVID seriously and the one time I brought my Aranet into her office because I'd just gotten it and was carrying the drat thing everywhere she was fascinated. She ended up borrowing it and carried it all around the facility taking readings and was annoyed at how bad the ventilation was in her office.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NeonPunk posted:

Ooooh poo poo lmao egg hasn't even got the chance to really spread their wings and we already have a super scary variant that is now being seeded across the globe? Even the WHO just immediately added it as variant under monitoring.

lol look at the relative ACE2 binding of EG.5.1, piss-weak. they haven't been sending their best

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

redreader posted:

edit: the local 'vax bus' was the only possible way I could get my kids vaccinated. our doctor didn't do vaccines for kids nor did our previous doctor, or local pharmacies (cvs/walgreens). The vax bus has now been phased out, so, lollll. not sure if I can get the kids shots if/when they come out next month.

basically you can't be certain about any of these things, except for:

Swab your throat and then nose. Don't worry about... doing anything other than not eating or drinking anything for 30 minutes prior to testing. The eating/drinking thing is because acidic solutions in your saliva can mess up the chemistry of the test and pop fake positives.

You probably won't have enough virus in you anywhere to really pop before at the very least roughly 2 days after you get got. Depending on the inoculant dose, the variant, your immune system's response, etc. I'd say 48 hours is the absolute earliest any test would ever detect anything.

The story with RATs remains the same: positive result means you have COVID. Negative result means nothing, 3 negative results in series over a day or so means you're negative, provided you've appropriately isolated and not been exposed during that time.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sunny Side Up posted:

Negative on RAT, negative on followup Lucira. Spouse negative on their Lucira as well. I have one more Lucira running, but maybe I need to find an actual lab for a followup PCR.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rescue Toaster posted:

I swear someone posted a couple months back about an expired Lucira showing positive, that I think ended up being a false positive after multiple RAT and/or maybe a PCR.

I would definitely isolate as if positive until you can get some confirmation. But I might not break out the paxlovid yet.

It was me.

Took another lucira and got a negative and scheduled a pcr and got negative. Also did a RAT every 12 hours until pcr results and isolated as if positive.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

I believe you are mixing up sensitivity and specificity (it happens, I don't use it all the time so I always have to double check I'm remembering what is what).

I see 6% false negative, 2% false positive.

But yes, a false positive can and will happen to everyone eventually if you test enough. Always verify that positive.

Edit: Can't actually find it on their website now because its all been shuttered, but here was a story referencing those claims, and I see that 6/2 in a couple places.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-authorizes-first-home-covid-19-test-gives-users-results-n1248069
Another:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/04/1024450/at-home-covid-test-review-accuracy-binaxnow-lucira-ellume/

Baddog has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Aug 17, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

silicone thrills posted:

It was me.

Took another lucira and got a negative and scheduled a pcr and got negative. Also did a RAT every 12 hours until pcr results and isolated as if positive.

Good to know. I've taken 2 additional Luciras and gotten a negative each time. That plus my RAT has me feeling a little more confident. I'm still going to go get a PCR at the drive thru 2 hour place I think.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Aug 17, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

listen to the WHO imo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

redreader posted:

Don't use an expired test. They don't guarantee any of the chemistry works as advertised after the printed date. I'm obviously not the police and can't stop you, but don't.

quote:

A minimum of 48 hours after exposure is required even for PCRs to be reasonably accurate. If you're symptomatic, test immediately using the best quality test available. Remember that RATs are pretty flakey compared to PCRs and while you can use them as proof you definitely have COVID if they're positive, a negative is basically meaningless unless you repeat the test a bunch of times.

quote:

For rapids only, you can do throat then nose but I'd suggest doing one throat and one nose test separately at the same time and make sure you use the 'low and slow' technique for the nose swab, which you can find on youtube. Don't caugh, rinse, blow your nose, etc. beforehand.

quote:

This is going to be heavily influenced by the person, immune response, which strain of covid they got, whether they've had prior exposure, and (most importantly imo) correct vs incorrect swabbing technique. A lot of people just don't swab right and will almost never get enough material to turn the test strip red. Test immediately and repeatedly if you get symptoms and your only available tests are rapids. Use the 'low and slow' technique. If you can access a Lucira, Cue, or lab PCR test, do that.

The most basic rule is that rapids rely on there being a lot of virus in your nozzle to turn the strip red, while PCRs and other amplification tests can pick up very, very minute amounts - you're very likely to get a false negative on rapids unless symptomatic. However, if you're symptomatic, fire at will.

quote:

rip vax bus

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mawarannahr posted:

listen to the cdc imo

Capitalism is preparing us for a new era of every man for himself.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the more crap you believe, the better off you are

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

Capitalism is preparing us for a new era of every man for himself.

Every person in this nation will control their OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, dammit. A nation of ACTION, not words. Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee. Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the more crap you believe, the better off you are

yup. that's why i believe everything in the ufo thrread.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Every person in this nation will control their OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, dammit. A nation of ACTION, not words. Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee. Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people!

don't you get it, jack? im just using healthcare as a business to get elected so that i can END healthcare as a business!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm an devoted believer in beetopathy

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:china: authorities playing catch-up.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3231447/chinas-rising-covid-cases-and-new-variant-spark-concerns-about-third-wave posted:

China’s rising Covid cases and new variant spark concerns about ‘third wave’
  • The country’s coronavirus infections rebound, mirroring global trend, while immunity-evading EG.5 variant gains dominance
  • Despite a surge in cases, the new strain does not appear to bring increase in severe illness or death

Clocking in at a breezy 1 wave every 3 months, this third wave is a real egg on their face.

Archived link: https://archive.li/FXKg2

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

got BA.X COVID? get Paxlovid

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just another point of evidence on teledocs, Pushhealth is now 3 for 3 on next to no questions asked Paxlovid.

And before this sets off any "ASK YOUR DOCTOR OMG" anguish from thread helpers, my PCP is a fellow doomer and told me he would give me Paxlovid in a heartbeat. But telehealth appointments with him aren't available until 2-3 days from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just another point of evidence on teledocs, Pushhealth is now 3 for 3 on next to no questions asked Paxlovid.

And before this sets off any "ASK YOUR DOCTOR OMG" anguish from thread helpers, my PCP is a fellow doomer and told me he would give me Paxlovid in a heartbeat. But telehealth appointments with him aren't available until 2-3 days from now.

Did your doctor's office get gobbled up into some bullshit investment apparatus too?