Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thanks for the feedback - got it. And yeah i understand i'll have a lot more self healing later on.

One thing that makes me feel bad is when a dps runs ahead of me b/c they're obviously a sweaty type and want to CLEAR MAX SPEED. I obviously won't do the YPYT bullshit, but it just bums me out that I feel i am slowing things down. But i'd rather go slower and have a good time than shave what, 30 seconds off a dungeon at the risk of us losing way more than 30s to a wipe?

speaking of healing i'm wondering if a fun prank is to run 4x WAR party for dungeons. I suspect it can work all right at least in some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jonny 290 posted:

Thanks for the feedback - got it. And yeah i understand i'll have a lot more self healing later on.

One thing that makes me feel bad is when a dps runs ahead of me b/c they're obviously a sweaty type and want to CLEAR MAX SPEED. I obviously won't do the YPYT bullshit, but it just bums me out that I feel i am slowing things down. But i'd rather go slower and have a good time than shave what, 30 seconds off a dungeon at the risk of us losing way more than 30s to a wipe?

speaking of healing i'm wondering if a fun prank is to run 4x WAR party for dungeons. I suspect it can work all right at least in some?

Eh, if a dps pulls something, they'll live long enough to drag it back to you and get it caught up in the aoes. No need to rush.

All tank runs go pretty smooth, especially when high level kits come online, and not even in 4-person content. You see raids and stuff with 8 tanks. Speedrunning dungeons for tomestones will often also just drop the healer and go tank + 3 dps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

you arent slowing things down lol, dont worry about it

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Jonny 290 posted:

so here's where i'm at with 47 on WAR

* always best weapon/chest, rest within 10 levels (soon will be looking at ilvl but not really a thing yet)
* tank stance on all the time for now
* always food (what's best for this? isn't the first stat listed the strongest or something? I'm just eating stuff that offers bigger than max bonuses on all 3 stats, ie says +10 max 50 and i have 300 base stat so i'm maxed, right?)
* rotate CDs on trash pulls including my sleeper favorite arm's length
* AOE on 3+, single chain on 1-2
* Keep provoke open and use it/tomahawk on any adds that creep into the fray after initial pull
* Be nice to healers (esp since i'm doing lower dungeons in DF) and start pulling easy, get a vibe check halfway through and if they want to try, pull doubles
* spin big poo poo towards the back, eat cleaves, don't dance around like an idiot because the melee dps needs all the help they can get

Do i have the basics down?

I'd recommend always do one or two aoes on all the pack (even if there's only 2 mobs) at the start so you're way ahead on the aggro meter than your healer or the dps for a good while when running around, then monitor the enemy list to make sure you don't lose aggro
Otherwise you should be good to go until doing actually hard content (not "<Content> (Hard)") like Extreme/Savage
Oh yeah, when running in the dungeon try not to break line of sight with your healer for too long, like going through corners in corridors : can't see you, can't heal you. It's a mistake I've seen a lot of tanks do, especially in the ARR dungeons

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Either they'll bring the mobs back to you or they'll die, and either way you can politely ask them to not do that anymore.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

All WARs was once referred to as "man mode" because you're big burly things that hit things with axes and is viable at pretty much every level, especially after WAR gets Raw Intuition. You can sometimes have problems hitting DPS checks but that just means you need to Fell Cleave harder usually.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zanael posted:

I'd recommend always do one or two aoes on all the pack (even if there's only 2 mobs) at the start

oh this is a core part of the experience to me. Why even play if you can't yell PERISH, CORRUPTORS! and jump into a big pack swatting with aoe to piss them all off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

you arent slowing things down lol, dont worry about it

This 100%

I have only really taken Monk past 50 and quite frankly if I ever gave the tank poo poo for taking their time and getting it all done right then it is completely justified to let me die and laugh at me. I'm a DPS, they're a dime a dozen and if they wanna push the pace they gotta live with the consequences.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

oh this is a core part of the experience to me. Why even play if you can't yell PERISH, CORRUPTORS! and jump into a big pack swatting with aoe to piss them all off

I mean, hell, you even fight (Stormblood) a literal Zenos at one point and, having done so, I absolutely get Space Marines and their want to scream one off about all that.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Remember: no munchkin

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At birth every lalafell gets their shins blown off by a Tojo's machine gun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lalas are cute. It is fun to put them in heavy armor.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

l-l-l-l-alalafell kill kill kill kill

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
speaking as someone who's played every role, i play dps most because i like the low stress job of being a jobber nobody has to worry about resurrecting too quickly if i pull something stupid. if any dps pulls something stupid and gets themself killed, don't blame yourself or feel stressed about it, it's what we live for

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah when tab targeting I can accidentally pull as a bard, it's not a big deal at 90 but I absolutely deserve to eat poo poo for it if I don't bring the mobs over to the tank and spank zone for AOEing.

Long story short, DPS are there to kill things, if they're not doing that, gently caress 'em.

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hellioning posted:

Lalas are cute.

Skylark posted:

Me: Bye mom
Mom: Where are you going?
Me: Im gonna go donate to GDQ to support Doctors Without Borders.
Mom: By yourself?
Me: No, I've got 100 pedophile games posters going with me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hellioning posted:

Lalas are cute. It is fun to put them in heavy armor.

Reported, think deeply about your crimes!!!
Edit: in light of a post above this seems mean and I aint about that

What cool novelty things can a culinarian make? I'm leveling up my crafters in the hopes of eventually making my own furniture and stuff for my tiny cottage, but I have been ignoring cooking. Am I missing out on like a talking bass display or something?

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 17, 2023

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There are tabletop displays you can make as a cul, but everything else is consumables. Do keep in mind that some of those consumables are ones that improve your crafting, so plan to have a max level cul if you want to attempt to stay current with any high level crafting

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oooh, I will try to remember that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Okay?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think both randomly calling people nazis and randomly calling people pedos, are bad

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sentient Data posted:

There are tabletop displays you can make as a cul, but everything else is consumables. Do keep in mind that some of those consumables are ones that improve your crafting, so plan to have a max level cul if you want to attempt to stay current with any high level crafting

Alas, I lament. My dedication to The Bit in terms of a particular RP quirk with my character means that I am never allowed to even pick up Culinarian, much less max it out.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

personally i think both randomly calling people nazis and randomly calling people pedos, are bad

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Am I missing out on like a talking bass display or something?

Well now I want one. Singing Mora wall plaque when

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
walk into a house and there's a namazu on the wall, hit the button and it starts yelling SUCH DEVASTATION

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

They could reuse the cut "How very glib" line

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CREEPING MENDACITY, YES YES

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

COME, ADVENTURER, YES YES

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3xzLaO1ujo

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lmfao always

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

Perhaps like me they're tired of "ironic"racism even against fantasy people and think calls for the extermination of a people to be beyond the pale.

its a video game character and he's saying their design was bad. that's not the same thing as genocide.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

calling the cops on my neighbours because their toddler likes his darth vader toys lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol at all those posts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wow if this is what the thread turns into when TLD isn't trolling and all their friends get upset at the accusation i'd hate to see what would've happened if they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

flatluigi posted:

wow if this is what the thread turns into when TLD isn't trolling and all their friends get upset at the accusation i'd hate to see what would've happened if they were

It's nice to have friends defend you from baseless accusations, yes.