Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Vic posted:

What's the difference?

The first major difference is that each character has a unique weapon, 3 unique passives that are leveled over a run, and a unique ultimate. These passives can enable very different builds, so trying a different character can have you make very different decisions about what items you take.

The other major difference is that Holocure probably has the strongest defensive items of any game in the Survivors-like genre. The lifesteal, armor, and deferred damage items are all incredibly good. I haven't played VS in a while, but from when I did play, I got the impression that those sorts of items were generally not viable. This enables a lot of different builds.

The third major difference isn't unique to Holocure, but I appreciate a lot - runs are only 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

What's the difference?

Hella anime

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I gotta figure out what's the best power bank best buy has for this. They got https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6432651.p?skuId=6432651this dell monster but I'm not sure how "portable it is

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I love me Steam Deck but by gently caress it hurts my hands. Must be getting old or something. Anyone got any exercises to prevent or mitigate the cramp/numb hand thing that happens?

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Ignis posted:

The Storage Cleaner plugin on Decky Loader should list what's taking up that space and let you clear it as well. It's likely leftover shader cache from all the stuff you've installed before.

Thanks, I too was wondering. I have like
porton experimental 1.15 gb,
proton 8.0. 1.15 gb,
proton 7. 1gb
steam linux runtime sniper 600 mb
steam linux runtime- solider 600 mb
And was trying to find where the shader caches were for the games to see which games shader caches were disproportionately big for the games size. |
Do emulated games also have shader caches that go in the internal drive even if the emulated game is on the SD card?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I love me Steam Deck but by gently caress it hurts my hands. Must be getting old or something. Anyone got any exercises to prevent or mitigate the cramp/numb hand thing that happens?

Play more games on the deck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I had the same problem with the Vita until I bought a protective case. I did the same with my Deck and that extra bit makes it much more comfortable. Just search for FYOUNG on Amazon and it’s the case with a kickstand. It won’t fit in the dock though, but it does fit in the original carrying case.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I cannot vouch for this particular product, but I have bought their grips for Switch 3 times now and it makes a world of difference.

Anybody give this a shot? Its certainly more expensive then their 3D printed Switch grips.

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/stylthgrip

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

kneelbeforezog posted:

Thanks, I too was wondering. I have like
porton experimental 1.15 gb,
proton 8.0. 1.15 gb,
proton 7. 1gb
steam linux runtime sniper 600 mb
steam linux runtime- solider 600 mb
And was trying to find where the shader caches were for the games to see which games shader caches were disproportionately big for the games size. |
Do emulated games also have shader caches that go in the internal drive even if the emulated game is on the SD card?

can't address your question but does 'disk usage analyzer' in the discover store not find anything (also did this already get suggested)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upsidads posted:

I gotta figure out what's the best power bank best buy has for this. They got https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6432651.p?skuId=6432651this dell monster but I'm not sure how "portable it is

I dunno what that was because your link is broken but it’s probably overkill and I’d just get a good 10,000 one and call it good.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

jokes posted:

Play more games on the deck

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Get better hands that hold the deck properly so it's super comfortable. At least that's what worked for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hey I’ve had bad posture and device-use form for decades now and no little Gabe toy is going to make me break my streak.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Subjunctive posted:

Hey I’ve had bad posture and device-use form for decades now and no little Gabe toy is going to make me break my streak.

If anything it's an excuse to make it even worse

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I had this problem initially. I took two months off to play Zelda then forgot it was a problem when I returned to the Deck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I just play playing on my stomach and let the weight of the device rest on the couch or bed usually. It's so goddamn heavy. I have grips on my switch and 3ds but I feel like the deck is fairly ergonomic out of the box. I don't know that it would help but who knows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How are your neck and back not ruined by doing that for any kind of extended period

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So the refurbished Decks are sold out and I probably can't spare that much anyway, but assuming I could at some point in the future:

Is it possible to use two different Steam accounts on the same Deck?

Would it have to install two separate copies of the large games (BG3 and Cyberpunk)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

So the refurbished Decks are sold out and I probably can't spare that much anyway, but assuming I could at some point in the future:

Is it possible to use two different Steam accounts on the same Deck?

Would it have to install two separate copies of the large games (BG3 and Cyberpunk)?
Yeah it is, no it doesn't

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I suggest trying to loosen your grip a little. Cramps and especially numbness IME are almost always because I'm holding the console/controller too tightly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want you to know that I appreciate the hell out of this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Ideally? Dock it or prop it on a stand with a lighter Bluetooth controller. If you want something approaching the control scheme and aren’t lucky enough to have a Steam Controller, an Xbox Elite 2 controller has 4 paddle buttons (you’ll probably need to get the paddles extra, but they’re not the expensive bit).

For stretches —
1. Arms in front, close and open your hands vigorously, like you’re flicking water off of them. Do this 10 times.

2. Hold your arm out straight in front of you, 90 degrees from your body. Relax your wrist, palm down, and press on on the back of it with your other hand, toward you. You should feel it on the back your hand just in front of the wrist. Hold for 10 seconds.

3. Same position as #2, but curl your fingers on the relaxed hand into a sort of loose claw. Press with your other hand between the knuckle and first joint of the fingers. You should feel this on the middle-to-top of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

4. Arm out straight, palm up, relax the wrist. With your other hand, press the fingers toward you. You’ll feel this on the heel of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

5. Arm out at your side, palm facing away, bend your hand back toward you. Turn your head opposite and crane your neck to that side as well as you can. Hold for 10 seconds. You’ll feel the stretch in your shoulder and upper arm. That’s your ulnar nerve, which runs through your wrist to your fingers. Stretching it should help with the pain some.

If you absolutely must play the Deck handheld, use a pillow or something that will take some of the weight. Use wrist braces — anything to maintain neutral wrist position — and use ice and heat on your hands and wrists. But… that probably won’t stop or reverse the progression of hurt. It might slow it. Don’t take this poo poo lightly. It can hurt more than it is. Your body is telling you something. Ignore it at your peril.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 18, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Commander Keene posted:

I suggest trying to loosen your grip a little. Cramps and especially numbness IME are almost always because I'm holding the console/controller too tightly.

But it’s exciting!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Man I get the low low cost of free but I just tried Holocure and it loving sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kwolok posted:

Man I get the low low cost of free but I just tried Holocure and it loving sucks.

No surprise there

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

kneelbeforezog posted:

Does this mean you can navigate menus and options and inventory with controller input and not the trackpad? I hate playing games where you have to use the trackpad as a mouse, its why I cant play BG1/BG2 on the steamdeck

OK, so no it doesn't work out of the box, I take that back. I fired it up to check since it's been a few weeks. I also found this video which pretty much walks you through all of the things I would have written up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpo8CdL6jc

His config is available in the Community Layouts and it seems pretty reasonable. I think if you're looking to avoid the mouse you're out of luck, sadly.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ideally? Dock it or prop it on a stand with a lighter Bluetooth controller. If you want something approaching the control scheme and aren’t lucky enough to have a Steam Controller, an Xbox Elite 2 controller has 4 paddle buttons (you’ll probably need to get the paddles extra, but they’re not the expensive bit).

For stretches —
1. Arms in front, close and open your hands vigorously, like you’re flicking water off of them. Do this 10 times.

2. Hold your arm out straight in front of you, 90 degrees from your body. Relax your wrist, palm down, and press on on the back of it with your other hand, toward you. You should feel it on the back your hand just in front of the wrist. Hold for 10 seconds.

3. Same position as #2, but curl your fingers on the relaxed hand into a sort of loose claw. Press with your other hand between the knuckle and first joint of the fingers. You should feel this on the middle-to-top of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

4. Arm out straight, palm up, relax the wrist. With your other hand, press the fingers toward you. You’ll feel this on the heel of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

5. Arm out at your side, palm facing away, bend your hand back toward you. Turn your head opposite and crane your neck to that side as well as you can. Hold for 10 seconds. You’ll feel the stretch in your shoulder and upper arm. That’s your ulnar nerve, which runs through your wrist to your fingers. Stretching it should help with the pain some.

If you absolutely must play the Deck handheld, use a pillow or something that will take some of the weight. Use wrist braces — anything to maintain neutral wrist position — and use ice and heat on your hands and wrists. But… that probably won’t stop or reverse the progression of hurt. It might slow it. Don’t take this poo poo lightly. It can hurt more than it is. Your body is telling you something. Ignore it at your peril.

Thanks for this! And also thanks to the other goons and their suggestions. Yeah, might invest in a dock and those case things to see if those help.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I get good deals at Best buy and I hate having to find an outlet on trips. The dell one looks like they just took their laptop battery and put it in a case. 4 lights for an interface is a bummer

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I’ve found that using a small throw pillow or cushion in the lap to prop my arms on helps a bit if I’m playing for more than an hour or so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This thread has discussed at length the joys of the birthing pillow.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nursing pillow, not birthing pillow you fake fan. I bet you don't even own a Steam Deck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Aeterna Noctis' intro FMVs are all hosed up and show literal color bars like I'm watching antenna TV in the 1980s. And yet this dude it works fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ufo_B0tIs

:wtc:

Anyone know which version of Proton to use? Experimental doesn't work.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're seeing color bars, probably Proton GE

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

pseudorandom name posted:

Nursing pillow, not birthing pillow you fake fan. I bet you don't even own a Steam Deck.

We call them delta fans over here

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

How are your neck and back not ruined by doing that for any kind of extended period

Laying on my stomach is good for my low back actually. I've had disc issues since I hosed it up in college and it pushes the disc(s) back near where they should be. It's like baby Cobra (yoga pose).

My neck gets tired (but not sore) so I'll prop it up with a pillow. Sitting up and staring down at the deck hurts it though. Playing on my back also bothers my neck and my hands eventually go numb.

Everybody is different, this works for me. :shrug:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I also have back issues (and now medical bills, so nevermind on the second Steam Deck thoughts) but for me it's lying on my back that's most comfortable.

Fortunately the Deck is wide enough that I can rest my elbows at 90 degrees vertical and the Deck will mostly support itself on my skeleton instead of my muscles.

Which is good, because I also have hand issues.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Ignis posted:

The Storage Cleaner plugin on Decky Loader should list what's taking up that space and let you clear it as well. It's likely leftover shader cache from all the stuff you've installed before.

How come I couldn't find 'Decky Loader' on the discover page on the steam deck? I typed decky and loader and what not. Also, how do you all manage saves between devices? Baldurs gate 1 doesnt have my saves showing up from my deck on my PC, and psychonaughts doesnt have my PC showing saves onto my deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

kneelbeforezog posted:

How come I couldn't find 'Decky Loader' on the discover page on the steam deck? I typed decky and loader and what not. Also, how do you all manage saves between devices? Baldurs gate 1 doesnt have my saves showing up from my deck on my PC, and psychonaughts doesnt have my PC showing saves onto my deck

It's not on the Discover store, you need to install it from their Github.