Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just got a notification from Luke Crane announcing that the world is ending.

By which I mean that Burning Wheel and the Burning Wheel Codex are now available in PDF, apparently because, and only because, Adobe has ruined his files so hard that he can never edit them again, which is presumably why the PDFs don't have bookmarks.

I kind of don't wish Luke Crane any particular success at this point, but honestly I think it's funnier if he suddenly makes significantly more money selling PDFs than he ever did on physical books and is inspired to have a come-to-Jesus moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

I just got a notification from Luke Crane announcing that the world is ending.

By which I mean that Burning Wheel and the Burning Wheel Codex are now available in PDF, apparently because, and only because, Adobe has ruined his files so hard that he can never edit them again, which is presumably why the PDFs don't have bookmarks.

I kind of don't wish Luke Crane any particular success at this point, but honestly I think it's funnier if he suddenly makes significantly more money selling PDFs than he ever did on physical books and is inspired to have a come-to-Jesus moment.

did he announce it in obnoxious wizard speak

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What, the wizard didn't keep his own backups?

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

did he announce it in obnoxious wizard speak

He sure did!

"We said we would never do it, but when you play Burning Wheel every belief you possess may be broken. And so, inevitably, we played against our beliefs and released PDFs of Burning Wheel and the Codex"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
By Crane standards I would call that fairly restrained.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't imagine how intensely painful it was for him to sell a product to people who wanted to buy it from him. Truly awful. Is he okay? Is there anything I can do to help?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Panzeh posted:

its heyday was the early 90s and being set in the real world was the thing to do.

When people ask* me why certain OWoD games are the way they are I just look them right in the eye and say "It was the 90's and there was time for... KLAX"

*This is a fictional scenario. No one has ever asked me about storyteller irl.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I don't know whether to be exasperated by Luke Crane's schtick or grudgingly impressed that he's found a way to subject so many willing participants to his fetish

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whybird posted:

I don't know whether to be exasperated by Luke Crane's schtick or grudgingly impressed that he's found a way to subject so many willing participants to his fetish

luke crane or ed greenwood: who's the more successful sex wizard game designer

e: maybe we include phil brucato too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Peter Adkison? I remember reading that WotC was a very odd work environment after Magic was a hit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Peter Adkison? I remember reading that WotC was a very odd work environment after Magic was a hit.
The definitive piece is this 2001 article by John Tynes about working at boomtown-era WOTC: https://www.salon.com/2001/03/23/wizards/

Special cameo appearance from Raven c.s. McCracken!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks! I wonder if Kevin Siembieda is still mad that he didn't snag a piece of Magic purely by being an enormous rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Basking in shoulder-to-shoulder solidarity with his employees, Peter Adkison rattled off his workplace sexual encounters, both actual and desired. He wasn't boasting, vain or predatory. He just loved all of us, from the depths of his innocent geek heart, and saw nothing wrong with talking about his corporate sex life. We were all in this together, pioneering settlers of a new and better world.

Among a group of friends or colleagues, a game like this can be an amusing if occasionally disastrous good time. But among co-workers, on an official company function, with the CEO of the company and Linda, the head of human resources, openly participating, well ... it was a train wreck.

The morning after the Truth or Swill game, I rose groggily and wandered around. As I walked through the lodge I interrupted Peter, Carrie's sister, Lisa (a vice president at Wizards of the Coast), and Lisa's boyfriend, Vic (also an employee, of course). Lisa and Vic were dressing down Peter over his involvement in the game, an occurrence that I naively thought had been a fine thing. The room was full of tension and Peter was both angry and defensive. I beat a hasty retreat.

As we packed up to leave a little later I found Peter sitting, morose, on the front steps of the lodge. I sat down next to him in silence for a while. Finally, he spoke:

"This is becoming a company I don't want to be a part of anymore."
lydia_soprano_poor_you.gif

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 16, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Whybird posted:

I can't speak for anyone else obviously but I tolerate the wizard speak bullshit in the Burning Wheel books because I think the system is genuinely great and there's nothing else really like it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That's true but gauche to say.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

One of my many "this is neat and I will never play this" moments came right after reading Burning Empires. The group for that probably doesn't exist anymore.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
There was a Dune RPG that used Burning Wheel. It was set during the Muaddib's Jihad rather than the events of the original novel, which was a cool twist.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The Dune hack was the predecessor for Burning Empires IIRC - the way it was written players could choose between being Jihadists or a noble house resisting the Jihad but it was a foregone conclusion that the nobles would lose because they were going against the Muad'dib. BE was "wait, what if the defenders could actually win"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

True victory is in accepting Muaddib though???

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Traveller posted:

The Dune hack was the predecessor for Burning Empires IIRC - the way it was written players could choose between being Jihadists or a noble house resisting the Jihad but it was a foregone conclusion that the nobles would lose because they were going against the Muad'dib. BE was "wait, what if the defenders could actually win"

I don't think it was a direct ancestor; Burning Empires is way more complex and involved than the hack was, IIRC. The comparison between religion and brainworms is a bit of a stretch, too, unless you're going to put on your official Internet Atheist Fedora.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Hypnobeard posted:

The comparison between religion and brainworms is a bit of a stretch, too, unless you're going to put on your official Internet Atheist Fedora.
I haven't read Burning Empires but that sounds accurate to the source material. Paul's tirades against the Quizarate and Arakeen Priesthood in book three don't paint a flattering picture of the religion he inadvertently created.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Burning Empires isn't even about fighting against a Jihad, it's a bunch of mind worms bodyjacking people and taking over worlds.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Let’s put this to rest: Burning Empires is based on a (quite good) graphic novel series called Iron Empires, of which the BWHQ folks were fans. The setting is taken directly from the comics, one to one.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It turns out Adobe didn’t ruin anything. Luke is unhappy that typeface technology changed and he won’t be able to use Postscript fonts any more. He could of course swap to OpenType and spend the required time to re-flow layout, but that plan doesn’t suit him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thanlis posted:

It turns out Adobe didn’t ruin anything. Luke is unhappy that typeface technology changed and he won’t be able to use Postscript fonts any more. He could of course swap to OpenType and spend the required time to re-flow layout, but that plan doesn’t suit him.

I have no way of knowing if this is sarcastic hyperbole, so I'm just going to believe it as gospel.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kestral posted:

Let’s put this to rest: Burning Empires is based on a (quite good) graphic novel series called Iron Empires, of which the BWHQ folks were fans. The setting is taken directly from the comics, one to one.
I got the game at Gen Con a long time ago.

I could not loving figure it out.

The graphic novels are great tho.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If nothing else I'm glad Burning Wheel is more accessible to people now.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dwarf74 posted:

I got the game at Gen Con a long time ago.

I could not loving figure it out.

The graphic novels are great tho.

It's been described as "weight training for roleplaying games" and that is completely accurate. If you're a fan of comics it's worth taking another look at, the official forums are a great resource for it.

Thanlis posted:

If you've followed the development of Burning Wheel long enough, you will know why the idea of re-flowing something like 1200 pages of dense, painstakingly-formatted InDesign documents fills BWHQ with soul-searing horror. After the stories we've heard over the years, I completely understand why this would break them, especially since it's a passion project rather than something they do for income.

Believe me when I say that Burning Wheel is a life-consuming passion project for these people, a kind of demonic game design possession they have been trying to exorcise for literal decades, while making barely any money and at times even taking substantial losses on it. When they say that something is presenting an obstacle so great that it has broken their will to work on Burning Wheel, they're not saying it lightly or because they're lazy or persnickety: it's because it is genuinely too much to bear.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If nothing else I'm glad Burning Wheel is more accessible to people now.

Same, it's a shame it comes at the cost of development ending, but such is life. Burning Wheel is the game a huge number of people want to be playing, or think they're playing in their D&D sessions, but don't, because they don't know it exists.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It would be kinda funny if the shifting terrain of technology ended up making him more money than he would otherwise.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well Played Mauer posted:

I like Cyberpunk’s world view and openness better, and RED is actually a pretty decent system, but Shadowrun definitely seemed to “get” what the game should be. It’s cool that Cyberpunk lets you be a noir detective or nomadic gun runner tribal dude or a corporate raider but what I usually wanna do is shoot up a bunch of red shirts and stick it to the Cyber Man.

My issue with Shadowrun other than that the system is clunky as hell is that in every edition I've tried cyber arms are just bad. If you wanna be a cybered up badass the mechanically useful version is a bunch of stuff like wired reflexes and muscle replacement which are cool and all but aren't a cool robot arm. Cyber arm strength is super limited because they insist on being realistic about it where you can't throw a car with your robot arms because you don't have a cyber spine so it's got some complicated average strength system because it's Shadowrun. You can put a gun in your arm but why bother because it costs a ton of money and essence to get a gun that's no better than a regular gun and is in fact worse because it's super limited on type. I feel like if you make a game at least partially about cyborgs getting into gunfights and you make your cyber arms overpriced junk you hosed up. Start over.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Glagha posted:

My issue with Shadowrun other than that the system is clunky as hell is that in every edition I've tried cyber arms are just bad. If you wanna be a cybered up badass the mechanically useful version is a bunch of stuff like wired reflexes and muscle replacement which are cool and all but aren't a cool robot arm. Cyber arm strength is super limited because they insist on being realistic about it where you can't throw a car with your robot arms because you don't have a cyber spine so it's got some complicated average strength system because it's Shadowrun. You can put a gun in your arm but why bother because it costs a ton of money and essence to get a gun that's no better than a regular gun and is in fact worse because it's super limited on type. I feel like if you make a game at least partially about cyborgs getting into gunfights and you make your cyber arms overpriced junk you hosed up. Start over.

At the risk of going all "let me tell you about my character" the troll street sammie I played in a pretty long-running 4e game was cybered up pretty extensively, but it was all under the skin type stuff, reflex boosters and the like. He actually relied on pistols and brains more than anything else, but the occasional BFG Time was a lot of fun too.

Shadowrun always did seem torn between its slick fantasy-cyberpunk aesthetic based on what's cool and grognardy realism-driven "you can't do that because" mechanics. drat shame. The GM of that game willing to play fast and loose with the system made it a lot more fun than strict rule enforcement would have been. I learned a lot about running games from him.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Thanlis posted:

Having had to work with one of Crane's InDesign files ostensibly ready for print, I absolutely believe this is enough to completely demolish one of his layouts.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Why can't he just keep using whatever old version of InDesign still supports PostScript fonts?

I saw his post but I'm in disbelief that it isn't possible to convert fonts from one standard format to another without breaking everything. I know everything around fonts is extremely stupid but it can't possibly be that bad, right? :psyduck: I'm seeing people talk about conversion being incomplete and other people about font licenses not allowing conversions and I really do not envy the burning wheel people for this mess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Glagha posted:

Shadowrun's got this problem in spades. Like every second picture in the book is cool elves with katanas, and that kind of character sucks because elves have no strength and melee in general is bad.

Shadowrun really needs a proper developer to sit down, look at what the theme of the game is, and rewrite the rules from the ground up so they actually encourage that theme.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Vanadium posted:

Why can't he just keep using whatever old version of InDesign still supports PostScript fonts?

I saw his post but I'm in disbelief that it isn't possible to convert fonts from one standard format to another without breaking everything. I know everything around fonts is extremely stupid but it can't possibly be that bad, right? :psyduck: I'm seeing people talk about conversion being incomplete and other people about font licenses not allowing conversions and I really do not envy the burning wheel people for this mess.

Layout and font poo poo is exactly this stupid. It's incredibly even less stupid than it used to be. InDesign didn't have a built-in "auto-create bookmarks from headings" function until like 2008. You might think an "identical" font that's just a different format exists, but it's entirely possible it's been tweaked in versioning or the software just handles it differently, so when you convert now you have to figure out where those extra dozen pages came from and comb through the entire book multiple times to figure out where things went wrong and to catch all the errors that occurred but didn't produce an extra page or error report.

If Crane and Crew had messy layouts, which is extremely more likely back when the books were originally created in the early 2000s, that combined with all the little quirks of publishing can absolutely present an enormous obstacle. Not insurmountable, but something that could easily require rebuilding the files from close to scratch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

As someone who has never actually /played/ shadowrun how often do players lose limbs by accident? Part of the appeal of a cyberpunk system for me is that you can have a fun, robust crit system so the party usually ends up down one body part per run, and part of post-run recovery is deciding how much to spend on the replacement. Yeah sure your standard 1,000 newBux LimbBoy/LimbGirl robot arm doesn't give super strength, but the DeadLift System comes with full body structural reinforcement as a standard part of the 10,000 newBux price tag (Attaching additional DeadLift limbs to the FullBod system only 6,000 newBux per limb or 4,000 if performed at time of initial instalation. Note: third party limbs not compatible with DeadLift FullBod DRM. DeadLift: Gains Goblins Go Home)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Font scaling is a dark and forbidding country where sane men fear to tread. Whoever could have guessed that adaptive kerning would lead to so many dead?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Splicer posted:

As someone who has never actually /played/ shadowrun how often do players lose limbs by accident? Part of the appeal of a cyberpunk system for me is that you can have a fun, robust crit system so the party usually ends up down one body part per run, and part of post-run recovery is deciding how much to spend on the replacement. Yeah sure your standard 1,000 newBux LimbBoy/LimbGirl robot arm doesn't give super strength, but the DeadLift System comes with full body structural reinforcement as a standard part of the 10,000 newBux price tag (Attaching additional DeadLift limbs to the FullBod system only 6,000 newBux per limb or 4,000 if performed at time of initial instalation. Note: third party limbs not compatible with DeadLift FullBod DRM. DeadLift: Gains Goblins Go Home)

As complicated a game as Shadowrun is I don't believe there's any actual rules for dismemberment by damage, but I could be wrong. I'm like 95% certain there's no crit blows your arm off rule though. Of course that's all without getting into the can of worms that is getting a prosthetic without any superhuman augmentation RAW costs you essence which means you'll lose access to magic or lose your mind if you do it too much which is... Not great. That and the written rewards system is so stingy that it's not like you'll ever be able to afford an arm after character creation when they're like "oh yeah you can expect to get like 5k nuyen after a typical job. How much is a cyber arm? 30k? Oh. What about if the streetsam wants an upgrade on their wired reflexes? Oh like 700k cool cool cool cool cool"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

As complicated a game as Shadowrun is I don't believe there's any actual rules for dismemberment by damage, but I could be wrong. I'm like 95% certain there's no crit blows your arm off rule though. Of course that's all without getting into the can of worms that is getting a prosthetic without any superhuman augmentation RAW costs you essence which means you'll lose access to magic or lose your mind if you do it too much which is... Not great. That and the written rewards system is so stingy that it's not like you'll ever be able to afford an arm after character creation when they're like "oh yeah you can expect to get like 5k nuyen after a typical job. How much is a cyber arm? 30k? Oh. What about if the streetsam wants an upgrade on their wired reflexes? Oh like 700k cool cool cool cool cool"
Followup question: are there any good cyberpunk ttRPGs that do work like I described?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If I remember correctly Cyberpunk 2020 has rules for damage to specific body parts. It’s crunchy as hell though.

RED streamlined things a lot more, but in the translation you lose mechanical fidelity for your leg being destroyed by automatic gunfire. Wouldn’t be incredibly hard to bring that back. I’d definitely add crunch to RED as opposed to removing it from 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CP2020/RED presented cyber-replacement as a valid way to skip healing times as well in a lot of cases, and RED explicitly said that "medical grade" cyberware which gave you no super-powers other than a. being pre-configured for a future upgrade and b. party trick stuff, also c. cost you no Humanity.

Neither game has a super great way to express the concept of cyborgization as alienation from yourself, although I think Cyberpunk's system is better. From comments I have heard, the fact that Shadowrun is pretty much "you have modern world tropes AND D&D tropes laying next to each other in a big jumble" is a plus to a lot of people, even if it's incoherent and reads weird to me, local herbivore.