Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

CapnAndy posted:

What are tips for a good early game? I've started my second game and this time instead of being distracted by learning the game, I'm trying to get off to a proper running start, and... it's really hard, and I don't know if I'm doing a good job or not.

Also, how do you tell if you're at an okay level of deficit spending or have gone too far? Just eyeball how quickly the debt ceiling is approaching?

you can mouse over the income part at the top, and towards the bottom it should tell you what the weekly income is if you don't have any construction going. make sure you keep that positive, especially if you're a small / unrecognized country. as long as its positive, you can always pause all construction and let the deficit recover a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

EwokEntourage posted:

you can mouse over the income part at the top, and towards the bottom it should tell you what the weekly income is if you don't have any construction going. make sure you keep that positive, especially if you're a small / unrecognized country. as long as its positive, you can always pause all construction and let the deficit recover a bit
Yeah, I do that, but it's always stressful playing the "am I speeding to default" game.

I have, however, found a useful hack to up my GDP and thus get more credit limit -- find a minor African nation, knock it over, bam, more population and production. I love colonialism! (Also I fast-tracked to Quinine and I'm beelining for Malaria Prevention now, so I can muscle all the big boys out of Africa before they can get a proper grip in.)

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Deficit spending is why your first move in Europe should be declaring an interest in South Africa so you can take Zululand, Transvaal, and Oranje and exploit the gorwing gold mines in those provinces to turbocharge your economy. Then you can colonize North cape with regular malaria protection

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TropicalCoke posted:

Deficit spending is why your first move in Europe should be declaring an interest in South Africa so you can take Zululand, Transvaal, and Oranje and exploit the gorwing gold mines in those provinces to turbocharge your economy. Then you can colonize North cape with regular malaria protection
Good to know! I did Gabon and the Congo this time, just because I did them last time and there's lots of rubber and oil there, it turns out.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

CapnAndy posted:

What are tips for a good early game? I've started my second game and this time instead of being distracted by learning the game, I'm trying to get off to a proper running start, and... it's really hard, and I don't know if I'm doing a good job or not.

Also, how do you tell if you're at an okay level of deficit spending or have gone too far? Just eyeball how quickly the debt ceiling is approaching?

spend money on military early and get a bunch of puppets, use that puppet money to fuel your core (capital+good states) industrialization and then start diploannexing and directly annexing stuff on top of going for formables or whatever

e. I prefer puppeting over direct conquest in the very early game (~1850ish) because the value of a free construction slot where you'd instead be paying -75% from turmoil to develop is huge and can be the difference between getting bogged down or keeping snowball momentum in many cases. This advantage falls off once you start getting construction points in the hundreds and have more tools to deal with turmoil or just eat the cost directly (and the affects of Bad AI become more noticable/compounding). The tribute income is also oftentimes helpful to VERY nice and can easily be the difference between having an extra five construction sites or not, which is another snowball aspect

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2023

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's also worth pointing out that puppets and other vassals give much less infamy than direct conquest and don't contribute to radicals or force you to deal with as many succession movements. At the start of the game a lot of areas are low in population so you can pretty easily knock over countries without pushing your infamy too high. The only downside is this doesn't give good access to dyes or luxury drinks like coffee and tea, but if you raise the cost of the dyes enough and bankroll your puppet that might encourage the AI to actually build something there - it's a bit of a crap shoot though, helps if they're already building dye plantations.

Later on you can annex the vassals and build up their rubber and oil. The AI is pretty reluctant to get involved in annexation plays unless you really pissed someone off.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

God drat it. Prussia was occupied beefing with Russia and Austria got distracted in a slapfight with Great Britain, so I thought "a-ha, here's my moment" and declared a Unification Play for Scandinavia. France loving joined it and beat me so hard it undid a decade's worth of work. One of those real, stinging, maybe-I'll-just-restart defeats. Ow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Why You Should Never Give Swedes The Vote, Exhibit Whatever:

They're pulling like 90% of the votes every election and all I can think is how is this a coherent political coalition

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Looks like your standard "big tent" left wing party tbh though having the PB in there does seem a bit much. There's still an overarching unifying element of being against big business and in favour of not totally loving the poor, the question is how much of each

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best part to me is the military all by themselves in the liberal party.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Some IGs in Scandinavian countries get big bonuses to Agrarian party attraction. It's a neat if subtle bit of flavor but in practice it's pretty much a pure negative

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Magissima posted:

Some IGs in Scandinavian countries get big bonuses to Agrarian party attraction. It's a neat if subtle bit of flavor but in practice it's pretty much a pure negative

god i hope they did this to Minnesota specifically too

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ithle01 posted:

Later on you can annex the vassals and build up their rubber and oil. The AI is pretty reluctant to get involved in annexation plays unless you really pissed someone off.

This doesn't really apply if you're in specific zones the AI wants. As Sokoto, France and Britain jumped on native uprising plays, annexation plays, and vassalization plays I started or had started against me. It was always day 1 of the negotiation phase too.

I had to wait a certain amount of time from the start of the game or Denmark would also try to throw their weight at me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

This doesn't really apply if you're in specific zones the AI wants. As Sokoto, France and Britain jumped on native uprising plays, annexation plays, and vassalization plays I started or had started against me. It was always day 1 of the negotiation phase too.

I had to wait a certain amount of time from the start of the game or Denmark would also try to throw their weight at me.
I took Sokoto anyway. Twice, because the first time it got stripped away when I was cut down to size.

Both times, France stayed out of the puppeting, although the second time, Austria-Hungary jumped in against me. But luckily I was able to sway Prussia into coming into it on my side, so those two tied themselves up killing each other on their border and let me get on with the actual conquest.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the Jingoist Intelligentsia in the Farmer's League while the Republican Armed Forces are the whole Liberal Party smh.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Did Austria-Hungary have an actual navy to speak of or was it that fuckin' nightmare thing where a tag with one port just drops a hundred brigades in the phillipines for some loving reason?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spectralent posted:

Did Austria-Hungary have an actual navy to speak of or was it that fuckin' nightmare thing where a tag with one port just drops a hundred brigades in the phillipines for some loving reason?

famously, the Austro-Hungarian Navy led to the post-WW1 Hungarian head of state being an admiral in a landlocked country :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikl%C3%B3s_Horthy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Same deal for the dad in Sound of Music

E: I'm skeptical about being capable of invading the Philippines though

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Man, I just did 4 restarts of the ottomans. First one, I got 10 years in and didn't get a single law change. I literally had the "law failed during debates" event 6 times for landed voting and tenant farming. Tried appointed bureaucrats and got splinters, bureaucratic stall, and then corruption for 2 straight setbacks and a -10% that killed the bill.

Second run, Russia declares on me in 1838 for half of Anatolia. Nobody is willing to come help me.

3rd run, I get appointed bureaucrats but I got greedy and going for tenant farmers meant the landowners were at like -8, and then I guess radicals suddenly jumped them up to -11 and now they want a revolution so restart!

4th run, things are going a bit better, though I don't build a university as I'm rushing industry and arms factories. 1841 comes and I'm building up a military to take on Egypt and they declare on me first. I think oh ok, a bit early for me but I should get this. Day 1 of negotiations and Austria and France jump in on Egypt side. A couple days later, Russia jumped in too all for obligations except for France who wanted tripoli. Only one willing to side with me is England.

:sigh: I just want to have fun in this dumb game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Man, I just did 4 restarts of the ottomans. First one, I got 10 years in and didn't get a single law change. I literally had the "law failed during debates" event 6 times for landed voting and tenant farming. Tried appointed bureaucrats and got splinters, bureaucratic stall, and then corruption for 2 straight setbacks and a -10% that killed the bill.

Second run, Russia declares on me in 1838 for half of Anatolia. Nobody is willing to come help me.

3rd run, I get appointed bureaucrats but I got greedy and going for tenant farmers meant the landowners were at like -8, and then I guess radicals suddenly jumped them up to -11 and now they want a revolution so restart!

4th run, things are going a bit better, though I don't build a university as I'm rushing industry and arms factories. 1841 comes and I'm building up a military to take on Egypt and they declare on me first. I think oh ok, a bit early for me but I should get this. Day 1 of negotiations and Austria and France jump in on Egypt side. A couple days later, Russia jumped in too all for obligations except for France who wanted tripoli. Only one willing to side with me is England.

You could probably salvage your revolution run. Just before the bar fills up and they actually separate into their own tag, go to all their states and change the barracks and conscription centers to use the worst production methods. Or even delete barracks if you need to.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I gotta say, I do like how a strong navy is absolutely vital to a colonial power. I'm not sure how much effect convoy raiding has on the economic health of the target country but it's absolutely enough to utterly cut off supply convoys to overseas troops and make them easy meat. As long as you can one way or another hold your own in your home region your navy can pretty much allow you to do whatever the gently caress you want and thumb your nose at lesser navies even if they're on paper more terrifying than you are.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

If you're doing it for the cheevos, Egypt is quite a fun run - go for the "Form Arabia and beat up the Ottomans" achievement. You're a bit like the Ottomans, but your starting law and tech situations is much better and you don't have the horrible "sick man of Europe" stuff dragging you down and constraining you.

Regarding great powers picking on you as the Ottomans - you are ending your rivalry with Russia and improving relations with every scary power, right? It might be the placebo effect, but that and reducing infamy is basically all I ever do with diplomatic power.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Playing as sokoto I was able to have free run of Africa until the 1880s by just making sure to keep relations with France and the UK up. Seems to keep them out of my business in declaring war on native states and even in the dutch/Danes so long as they didn't have a treaty

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Military improvements!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-93-military-improvements-in-open-beta.1596396/

Maybe I misunderstood the changes, but fronts no longer gradually moving but capturing whole states is quite sad. Reminds me of how plenty of Stellaris changes felt like devs gave up on a cool system (like the way individualism worked or empires started with different engines/weapons) to make a much more functional but less impressive system.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ilitarist posted:

Maybe I misunderstood the changes, but fronts no longer gradually moving but capturing whole states is quite sad.

Fronts will still gradually move. If you win a battle you might conquer 50% of a state and the front will advance to show that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really like the mobilization options, even if it's something that I'm going to forget about every single time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gort posted:

Fronts will still gradually move. If you win a battle you might conquer 50% of a state and the front will advance to show that.

It did sound like it might not show this on a per-province level like it did before though, I guess we'll just wait and see the exact implementation.

Armies needing food to operate is potentially a pretty big change which they didn't talk about that much, it's currently way too easy to feed everyone so if we have to build farms in order to have enough surplus food to support the military that seems like a good start

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
the mechanics for warfare and political movements should be entirely swapped; politicking should command the heights of the games strategy while warfare should be an unfun un-interactable resource-wasting slog (even more so anyways). war is the worst part of any paradox game, and vicky 3's warfare is the worst version of any paradox game's war mechanics, so just leave it as a cesspit and move on to social simulation

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it seems like it will just represent each state as X% occupied, perhaps with some visual markers, and then only advance the front proper when it reaches 100, in order to reduce the complexity of how those fronts operate

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

stumblebum posted:

the mechanics for warfare and political movements should be entirely swapped; politicking should command the heights of the games strategy while warfare should be an unfun un-interactable resource-wasting slog (even more so anyways). war is the worst part of any paradox game, and vicky 3's warfare is the worst version of any paradox game's war mechanics, so just leave it as a cesspit and move on to social simulation

The ideal is for warfare to be hands off so it doesn't dominate gameplay, but for warfare to operate sensibly and generate intuitive outcomes.

At the moment warfare has problems that make it require more clicks (EG when a front advances and splits into four and now you have to reassign your generals if you even have that many) as well as problems that make it act unintuitively.

I agree with the sentiment that warfare should not be what the player is clicking on 95% of the time, but I do think the devs need to focus on warfare's mechanics to make it work better.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you're conquering an entire state or nothing, I assume they're gonna retool warscore to track how far into the state your troops are, rather than the front? Because otherwise when you're knocking over single-state Unrecognizeds, they're gonna have no warscore malus while they're losing until they're 100% conquered.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CapnAndy posted:

If you're conquering an entire state or nothing, I assume they're gonna retool warscore to track how far into the state your troops are, rather than the front? Because otherwise when you're knocking over single-state Unrecognizeds, they're gonna have no warscore malus while they're losing until they're 100% conquered.

Yeah, that's what they are saying. You capture X% of the state in one battle.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this seems neat. personally excited for the return of little men on the map as well

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fuligin posted:

this seems neat. personally excited for the return of little men on the map as well

Yeah, to me this is big. The "one dugout shoots at one other dugout in the location of the battle" stuff we get right now is weak. I wanna see trenches across South America, with like ten of them shooting at each other in the neighbourhood of The Big Push.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The big warfare change I want is it actually having an effect on internal politics

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

it'd be nice for some sort of way to track dependent changes over time, since I really need to be able to see how many men I permanently crippled to get the full enjoyment from my puppetmaster playthroughs

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dev post:

quote:

In 1.5 Transportation, Electricity and Services have no market price at all, they are ONLY produced and consumed locally. This comes with a bunch of rebalancing to ensure there's always both supply and demand for Services, usually supply for Transportation, and (eventually) limitations for Electricity use.

This is more exciting to me than the military changes, 1.5 sounds like it's going to be a totally different game economically

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 17, 2023

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

it'd be nice for some sort of way to track dependent changes over time, since I really need to be able to see how many men I permanently crippled to get the full enjoyment from my puppetmaster playthroughs

Do you pay to give them a decent pension, or take a radicalism hit from turfing them onto the street?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

RabidWeasel posted:

Dev post:

This is more exciting to me than the military changes, 1.5 sounds like it's going to be a totally different game economically

Yes!!! This has been a crucial change that I never understood why they backed down on from their original design posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They should fridge rather than abandon the hands-off aspects of the old fronts system, and bring them back in EU5 as what you get in early admin tech unless the ruler or heir takes personal command/mid admin tech without a general. :evilbuddy: