Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Baddiel is a useless dogwhistling oval office.

I watched Desert Hearts yesterday. What a wonderful movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://x.com/kawaiitriot/status/1691872523887988865?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Bradley Cooper isn't going to star in a big awards bait biopic unless he's going to get some play from the Academy, and if there's one thing the Academy loves, it's cartoonish prosthetics and bizarre physical transformations. A bunch of Academy voters are old dudes who thought Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's was tasteful at the time, of course he's gonna put on a big honker to do his serious boy acting, it's the only way for them to know it's a Very Serious Picture.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a remastered Oldboy in theaters?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Steve Yun posted:

Yes.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Steve Yun posted:

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Bradley Cooper isn't going to star in a big awards bait biopic unless he's going to get some play from the Academy, and if there's one thing the Academy loves, it's cartoonish prosthetics and bizarre physical transformations. A bunch of Academy voters are old dudes who thought Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's was tasteful at the time, of course he's gonna put on a big honker to do his serious boy acting, it's the only way for them to know it's a Very Serious Picture.

Yeah, it's how Theron got hers.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Oscars

love them some

prosthetics

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think I have any memorable date movie experiences. I did briefly date one one gal a very very long time ago where we each picked a movie and we watched both. The idea was I'd watch one of her movies and she'd watch one of mine. I picked like Natural Born Killers or Se7en or something along those lines and she picked Ever After.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Despite being a lover of cinema, movies are terrible first dates except for like, teenagers trying to make out somewhere, since you're not really getting an opportunity to talk and make memories specific to the person. I probably wouldn't go the movies until after having met them a couple other times already

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I remember I took my then girlfriend, now wife, to see Munich and she fell asleep during it. Actually about 50% chance she would fall asleep during them.

I think our first movie date was the remake of the Fog. I should get her to watch the original now…

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Best date movie experience I had was being a lovely teenager and seeing Out Cold with a young lady.

This was a flat theater, not a stadium, and the show was very sparsely attended. Another couple of a similar age was sitting maybe 6 rows in front of us, very lovey-dovey, and every time either of them tried to kiss each other me or the lady would lob a pretzel bite at them. Somehow they never figured out it was us or confronted us about it.

I remember the movie being funny, too, though I don't believe I've seen it in 20 years and it probably has all kinds of problems.

Of course this sweet memory curdled somewhat when, later, I became a multiplex serf, and spent endless hours sweeping theaters.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Steve Yun posted:

Back when I was in college my friends and I were hanging out one night and decided to rent a movie from Blockbuster. We narrowed it down to two choices, one of which was Oldboy. I didn't know much about it beyond that I'd heard it was really good and had a hammer fight so I insisted that it would be a good choice. It ruled but it was a very bad choice as a chill hang out night movie lol.

The other movie we almost rented instead was Tank Girl.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some reaply solid comedies from the past few years that aren't traditional sitcoms? After WWDITS, I'd like something similarly fun. Catching the newest Miracle Workers season now, might check out Ghosts (which one?) or Killing It next. What else should I be considering?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How To With John Wilson

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Spike Lee's Oldboy is overhated, there's good work in it, but that makes it no less pointless

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Spike Lee's Oldboy is overhated, there's good work in it, but that makes it no less pointless

No I don't think it gets anywhere near enough hate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of the weirdest things to happen recently. There's just no reason for it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Oldboy remake held it together surprisingly well until the finale. Like it was a drunk singer who got 90% of the way through a set before barfing

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

feedmyleg posted:

What are some reaply solid comedies from the past few years that aren't traditional sitcoms? After WWDITS, I'd like something similarly fun. Catching the newest Miracle Workers season now, might check out Ghosts (which one?) or Killing It next. What else should I be considering?

How To With John Wilson as mentioned before is excellent, as is Nathan For You. Also check out Righteous Gemstones. And a special recommendation for Kantaro: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman, a show about a man who takes a lower-paying job as a bookseller because it gives him the opportunity to sneak out and sample sweets from around Tokyo. Hard to describe the premise, but it’s hilarious. It’s on Netflix.

For shows that are even further from sitcoms, check out Taskmaster, a British show where comedians compete to do absurd and stupid challenges, and Takeshi’s Castle, a Japanese obstacle course challenge show that just got an excellent 2023 remake on Amazon Prime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Taskmaster can be a bit hit or miss depending on the contestants and the tasks, but when it hit s it hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbA7eiE0_s8

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh dang, I meant to ask in the TVIV chat thread. I mean to say scripted, and ideally high-concept, but Righteous Gemstones should definitely be on my list. Also definitely gonna get stoned and watch Takeshi’s Castle later.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

feedmyleg posted:

Also definitely gonna get stoned and watch Takeshi’s Castle later.

It is so good. It’s making me so happy to watch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Important to avoid the USA taskmaster

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

well why not posted:

Important to avoid the USA taskmaster

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I do want to echo how good John Wilson is, it might be my among my favourite piece of media ever.

The comparison to Nathan Fielder's stuff is useful and he is a producer, but How To is much more fundamentally good natured and earnest - I think even people who find some of Nathan's material too "cringe" could like it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

feedmyleg posted:

Buy the sctv DVDs.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Have you tried Toast of London/Toast of Tinseltown? You get Nadja and Nandor in Tinseltown. Maybe Our Flag Means Death or Wellington Paranormal for other fun comedies? I also like Los Espookys.

I’ve only seen some of Ghosts UK and it is cute.

How To with John Wilson really is great, but might not be what you’re looking for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

It's one of the weirdest things to happen recently. There's just no reason for it

It’s **~~~problematic~~**

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's old enough now I don't think it counts as "in recent years" but The Good Place was loving amazing. Try and avoid spoilers if at all possible, but I think it still holds up if you know what's going to happen.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I will never care because I don't like Bradley Cooper or biopics

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

I will never care because I don't like Bradley Cooper or biopics

you would absolutely have to put a gun to my head to get me to watch a Bradley Cooper biopic of Leonard Bernstein lol

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Escobarbarian posted:

How To With John Wilson

The How To Cover Your Chair episode gets positive reviews at family gatherings with small children

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Biopics are the lowest form of art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

porfiria posted:

The best all play very fast and loose with the actual biography of the protagonist. And honestly in this specific case (full disclosure I know almost nothing about Leonard Bernstein, so this isn't supposed to be a knock against him specifically) having the full support of his living descendants seems like a strike against the movie. Like it will just be a glowing hagiography with the interesting bits sanded off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno if i can really be as full throated a biopic hater as i used to be now that the only good movie i've seen this year was a biopic

edit: oh wait the official Skinamarink release date was this year, thank god

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah Barbie was a pretty good biopic

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

porfiria posted:

walk hard and the weird al movie have buried the biopic forever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Elvis whipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oppenheimer is now the highest grossing movie to never be #1 at the box office.