Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still love the scene where Barbara interrupts all the arguing by shooting the one zombie over and over again while yelling at them "Is he dead? You're all seeing this, is he dead?!"

In my long-practiced spiel about how, in many ways, the 1990 NotLD is better than the original, Patricia Tallman's acting plays a decent sized role. The fact that Barbara is an actual character with an arc and agency instead of a comatose remanent of the cold open is pretty big deal. Even if it's the most obvious arc, it's well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ve seen the awesome Blind Dead zombies but haven’t gotten around to checking out the movies, will do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane is actually not bad.

Sounds like my flavor of schlock. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear about, what a title. I think I have to watch Rave to the Grave for similar reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Barbara is an obvious improvement for sure. I mean I've generally grown to appreciate the role she has in the original over time but its nice for Savini to go the opposite route to counter the problematic nature of making the female lead a catatonic and hysterical albatross.

I'd also say Savini's is... more nihilistic? Cynical? Its meaner and harsher than the original. Which is weird to say because the first film isn't happy or anything. But the remake definitely has a lot more edge and dim view of humanity if that's your thing. It makes the original almost seem hopeful about people's ability to come together in a crisis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Savini's NOTLD scared the crap out of me as a kid. I was 6 when it came out so I'm thinking probably 8 or 9 when I first saw it on television. Hadn't seen a whole lot of Savini-style gore up to that point and the movie was just much more intense than what I was used to seeing at that age. I guess when I think about it, it was probably my first ever zombie movie because I didn't see the original until I was in high school.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

I’ve seen the awesome Blind Dead zombies but haven’t gotten around to checking out the movies, will do.

Sounds like my flavor of schlock. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear about, what a title. I think I have to watch Rave to the Grave for similar reasons.

Rave to the Grave is actually Return of the Living Dead 5, filmed at the same time with the same cast as 4/Necropolis (but different characters/stories). They're bad but not unwatchable schlock.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

And just to get it out of the way : Tony god drat Todd is in the remake.

TONY TODD

HIS NAME IS ALMOST DEATH IN GERMAN

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There are few ways for me to more quickly lose interest than to see "filmed back-to-back/simultaneously"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hey, they filmed X and Pearl back-to-back and Pearl outclassed X entirely.

Need to see Savini's NOTLD. I love the original very much, and I know Savini's has Romero's approval but remakes still tend to make my teeth itch on principle.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

And just to get it out of the way : Tony god drat Todd is in the remake.

TONY TODD

HIS NAME IS ALMOST DEATH IN GERMAN

Tony Death, Tony.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s basically the same movie but Barbara is a character and it has Tom Savini effects instead of chocolate sauce.

You won’t be disappointed. It’s Xiahou-Certified Good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The first Blind Dead has such an unpleasant and out of nowhere rape scene that it really soured me on the rest of it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

The first Blind Dead has such an unpleasant and out of nowhere rape scene that it really soured me on the rest of it.

I don't really remember that but i do remember there being just overall awful people being sleazy around each other and some of the girls actively getting away from some creeps, into the hands of the blind dead. That might've been any of the first three tho lol.
It's been years since i've seen them but liked the settings and slowmotion horse riding a lot.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God drat I love Bruno Nicolai's giallo scores. The harpsichord and vibraphone are so cozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK22X7TYIBg

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Also i fast forward thru rape scenes so thats probably why i dont remember them very much, i dont need that poo poo in my life

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Xiahou Dun posted:

In my long-practiced spiel about how, in many ways, the 1990 NotLD is better than the original, Patricia Tallman's acting plays a decent sized role. The fact that Barbara is an actual character with an arc and agency instead of a comatose remanent of the cold open is pretty big deal. Even if it's the most obvious arc, it's well done.

I thought I was the only person brave enough to have this opinion

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nice!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hey, in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie, do the kids who disappear from the tour ever reappear or is it ever explained what happened to them?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Zwabu posted:

Hey, in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie, do the kids who disappear from the tour ever reappear or is it ever explained what happened to them?

Willy Wonka off-handedly mentions to Charlie that they're fine towards the end of the movie. He's very trustworthy don't worry about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zwabu posted:

He murdered those loving kids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Let's be real, they were done in by their own bad vibes. Blame the parents, I say.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

He murdered those loving kids.

Oompaty-DEE!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The book and Burton movie are much more explicit about them still being alive but we all know that Gene Wilder’s version is a Jigsaw level psychopath.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sympathy for the Devil is definitely a unhinged Nic Cage performance.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is von Trier's Antichrist any fun to watch with an audience? My local independent is showing it this weekend and thinking of making a double bill of it with Legally Blonde.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Most LVT movies arent fun to watch period. It is drat good though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Carpet posted:

Is von Trier's Antichrist any fun to watch with an audience? My local independent is showing it this weekend and thinking of making a double bill of it with Legally Blonde.

I was at the world premiere here in Toronto and people were not loving ready for it at all, it was hilarious, but probably not the experience you'll have.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember that it already had a reputation as being rough when I saw it so there was a bunch of archetypal metalhead horror nerd people in attendance.

Some of them seemed to dig it. Others walked out along with the old people who probably didn't know what they were getting into. I'm assuming they thought it would be less weird sex stuff more splatter gore.

Not as many walkouts as Trash Humpers (2009, d.p. Harmony Korine). That one emptied out more and more with each minute.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Antichrist for a crowd would prolly make an interesting mix of nervous laughter and absolute disgust. Prolly kinda fun.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
When I watched Antichrist there was a moment that caught me so off-guard I started going "NO NO NO NO NO" and got up and ran out of the bedroom to catch my breath. My wife got pissed off because she heard me and for a second she thought I just found out somebody died or something.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What a great movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Getting ready for date night with my partner. I light some candles to set the mood and we locks eyes as I slowly put Lars Von Trier's Anti Christ into the blu ray.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine actually did have a first date taking a girl to see Nymphomaniac, but he's a film buff so he knew what he was getting into and considered it a great sign that she was down.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think I've told this story before, but I'm two for two in getting dudes to watch Dear Zachary on first dates, so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crescent Wrench posted:

When I watched Antichrist there was a moment that caught me so off-guard I started going "NO NO NO NO NO" and got up and ran out of the bedroom to catch my breath. My wife got pissed off because she heard me and for a second she thought I just found out somebody died or something.

I got about 30 second in yelling “No! No! No!” and then shut it off and never looked back. gently caress that guy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think I've told this story before, but I'm two for two in getting dudes to watch Dear Zachary on first dates, so.

I convinced my entire family to watch it on Christmas morning one year. My sister was scream crying in the bathroom and my mom told me to give back my present.

It was evil but it really is an experience I couldn't pass up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me and a friend played Antichrist at a high school party lmfao. We didnt get far but it did it's job in weirding eeking everyone out.

less evil but still evil, I made my whole family watch The Mist. My brother was scream crying at the end lmao

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deep Blue Sea was an ideal first date movie, Lost Highway was not.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lumbermouth posted:

After M_Sinistrari did all the Amityville movies, I don't make any quality assumptions about what this thread is willing to watch.

I freely admit that watching the clunkers does make the good films seem even better.

Jedit posted:

Interesting news: Scottish indie horror outfit Hex Studios is reviving Amicus with plans to release one movie a year under the banner. The first new Amicus movie since 1977 will be a portmanteau movie called In The Grip of Terror and is using story material from the original studio archives. Production begins next month.

I vaguely remember other times in the past where there was going to be a revival of Hammer/Tigon/Amicus, but something always happens and it ends up not panning out. I wish Hex well in possibly pulling this off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

I vaguely remember other times in the past where there was going to be a revival of Hammer/Tigon/Amicus, but something always happens and it ends up not panning out. I wish Hex well in possibly pulling this off.

They've at least done movies that were released and worked with people you've heard of. Kids Vs Monsters, dire as it apparently is, starred Malcolm McDowell, Keith David and Lance Henriksen and had monster effects by Gillis and Woodruff. Apparently they've done shorts with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Channing Tatum, although that reads as being a little bit name-droppy for a small indie house in Fife that shoots locally on a typical budget of £200-400k.

Still, I'm quietly confident that they'll produce something. Whether or not it will be good is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

was the moment:

1. the talking fox
2. genital mutilation
3. dafoe smashing that bird who would not shut the hell up