Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
the novel coronavirus disrespected the NAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

the novel coronavirus disrespected the NAP

Did you explain about free markets

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Glumwheels posted:

I went to the doctor today for a check on my cholesterol and overheard the nurse inform the doctor my case and at the end say “oh he’s wearing a mask”. Now why would she say that?

mid 19th c
"oh he washed his hands"
*doctor rolls eyes*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mawarannahr posted:

mid 19th c
"oh he washed his hands"
*doctor rolls eyes*

2025 doctor

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There's still an OSHA billboard that straight up shows a guy in an n95 and says "be covid smart to protect yourself and others" near me. Right next to the freeway and everything. I get a good chuckle every time I drive by it.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

are you even allowed to emptyquote posts this recent?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

my roommate went back to urgent care because one of his mastectomy stitches isn’t healing properly

luckily despite the hospital mask mandate being lifted last Friday in LA county, almost everyone is still wearing masks at Kaiser. both health care and patients. roommate only saw three people without masks

not sure if it’s inertia or people noticing there’s a wave going on, hoping it lasts

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Aug 18, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol it's been there so long it's actually in streetview

I wonder if it'll still be there when they make masks illegal or if they'll remember to take it down

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

harrygomm posted:

are you even allowed to emptyquote posts this recent?

they murdered the old thread before I could catch up :mad:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

mawarannahr posted:

mid 19th c
"oh he washed his hands"
*doctor rolls eyes*

She came in wearing a surgical mask smfh

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Steve Yun posted:

my roommate went back to urgent care because one of his mastectomy stitches isn’t healing properly

luckily despite the hospital mask mandate being lifted last Friday in LA county, almost everyone is still wearing masks at Kaiser. both health care and patients. roommate only saw three people without masks

not sure if it’s inertia or people noticing there’s a wave going on, hoping it lasts

I hope their pediatric cancer ward is the same.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

New variant found in Israel, Denmark, Michigan US now spotted in the UK

https://twitter.com/lukebsnell/status/1692437750207611042?s=20

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CDC is on the case

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1692326710262304890?s=20

If you scroll down far enough on their linked safety suggestions, you can even see these rogue government elements recommending N95s, where nobody pays attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
tell the new variants to get in line

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
my mom's oncologist and his staff stopped masking in May, lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

my mom's oncologist and his staff stopped masking in May, lol

We can’t live our dramatically shortened lives in fear

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Fruit fly study indicating that ACE2 interference/depletion could be the cause of neuromuscular complications:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0925443923001849 posted:

Functional characterisation of the ACE2 orthologues in Drosophila provides insights into the neuromuscular complications of COVID-19

Highlights
• A large percentage of patients with COVID-19 have neuromuscular manifestations.
• Loss of Drosophila ACE2 orthologues Ance or Ance3 impaired motoric ability.
• Ance or Ance3 knockdown induced unique and overlapping transcriptional changes.
• Genes with a synaptic function were particularly vulnerable to splicing alterations.
• Findings favour ACE2 interference as a cause of COVID-19 neuromuscular disturbances.

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the coronavirus disease of 2019 (COVID-19), gains cellular entry via interaction with the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor of host cells. Although SARS-CoV-2 mainly targets the respiratory system, the neuromuscular system also appears to be affected in a large percentage of patients with acute or chronic COVID-19. The cause of the well-described neuromuscular manifestations resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection remains unresolved. These may result from the neuromuscular-invasive capacity of the virus leading to direct injury. Alternatively, they may be the consequence of ACE2 inactivation either due to viral infection, ACE2 autoantibodies or both. Here, we made use of the Drosophila model to investigate whether ACE2 downregulation is sufficient to induce neuromuscular phenotypes. We show that moderate gene silencing of ACE2 orthologues Ance or Ance3 diminished survival on exposure to thermal stress only upon induction of neuromuscular fatigue driven by increased physical activity. A strong knockdown of Ance or Ance3 directed to muscle reduced or abolished adult viability and caused obvious motoric deficits including reduced locomotion and impaired flight capacity. Selective knockdown of Ance and Ance3 in neurons caused wing defects and an age-dependent decline in motor behaviour, respectively, in adult flies. Interestingly, RNA sequencing allowed us to discover several differentially spliced genes that are required for synaptic function downstream of Ance or Ance3 depletion. Our findings are therefore supportive of the notion that loss of a RAS-independent function for ACE2 contributes to the neuromuscular manifestations associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection.

News article on the matter:

https://scitechdaily.com/unmasking-the-long-covid-mystery-new-study-reveals-cause-of-muscle-weakness/#google_vignette posted:

Unmasking the Long COVID Mystery: New Study Reveals Cause of Muscle Weakness
(..)
Around one in three individuals who recover from COVID-19 continue to experience life-disrupting symptoms, such as persistent fatigue, shortness of breath, ‘brain fog’ (a term used to describe concentration difficulties), and muscle weakness. The origin of long COVID, despite its increasing global impact on daily life, has remained a mystery.

SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19, latches onto the ACE2 (angiotensin-converting enzyme 2) receptor, which acts as the doorway through which the virus infects cells. In a pioneering study, researchers at the University of Malta exploited fruit flies to curb down the levels of the ACE2 receptor. In the absence of the virus, this was enough to induce fatigue and diminished mobility.

“Our research clearly shows that depletion of ACE2 is central to the neuromuscular complications experienced by a significant percentage of COVID-19 patients,” said Professor Ruben Cauchi, who heads the Motor Neuron Disease Laboratory at the University of Malta.
(..)
When analyzing molecular defects in organisms with downregulated ACE2 levels, the Maltese scientists discovered a breakdown in communication between nerves and muscles. Several key molecules required for nerves to send messages to muscles were found compromised.

Various paths are thought to coalesce to bring down ACE2 levels or dampen its function in humans following a coronavirus infection. “In addition to being hijacked by the virus, the ACE2 receptor on the cell’s surface can also be targeted by autoantibodies, with the immune system attacking the body as it does in Multiple Sclerosis,” added Dr. Paul Herrera, who performed the intricate experiments that were crucial to the study. There have also been reports of virus persistence long after the initial infection.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Question for the thread, now that we are starting on a new thread.

I use the [quote] function on the site, so people quoting the post doesn't result in having to scroll too much. However it also has the downside of excluding the contents of the quote when searching the thread, making it more difficult to find again. Do people have a preference between the following:
1) change nothing.
2) ditch the quote tag entirely.
3) have headline outside the quote tag, but otherwise keep the text in quotes.
4) put research out of quotes, but keep doing newspapers in quotes.
5) some other mix?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how's Burning Man

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Fun fact, your use of the opening quote tag made this quote of your post empty too :buddy:

I think 3 seems good, since it provides a way to find the original content without taking up much space. Thanks for all the great stuff you post.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zugzwang posted:

Fun fact, your use of the opening quote tag made this quote of your post empty too :buddy:

I think 3 seems good, since it provides a way to find the original content without taking up much space. Thanks for all the great stuff you post.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Used the tag to remove ambiguity on "quote function", I should have just written "quote tag" :P

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Aug 18, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Insanite posted:

We can’t live our dramatically shortened lives in fear

yeah, I wanna die cramped in a climate refugee concentration temporary relocation camp!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Third BA.2.86/BA.X infection found in Denmark (Danish only):
https://www.ssi.dk/aktuelt/nyheder/2023/tredje-fund-af-undervarianten-ba-2-86

The cases are from different parts of the country and do not appear to be linked.

I should note that while 50%-70% of cases in Denmark are usually sequenced, for week 30 (when the first case was discovered) only 27 out of 110 positives (24.5%) have been sequenced. Week 31 and up nominally sits at 0%, though obviously that isn't true when they just found a new case.

Source: https://www.covid19genomics.dk/statistics

It should probably also be noted that it is extremely common for Danes to travel abroad during the summer/"industrial" vacation, so I would not be shocked if these people got infected at the airport. It is odd that it isn't mentioned what their travel history is, though the "unconnected" part makes me think they didn't all travel to Israel or it would have been specified.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Aug 18, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lib and let die posted:

yeah, I wanna die cramped in a climate refugee concentration temporary relocation camp!

:actually: people pay good money to go to Burning Man.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Burning man? More like Soaked man after Hilary comes through the place

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them

it was the go to Pentagon staffer mask in 2020 and it was always hilarious

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Disconcerting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poppers posted:

Like TB and influenza have orders of magnitude difference in how likely they are to infect you if you’re in the room with a surg mask vs a respirator

I don’t know about multiple orders of magnitude, but you are correct that there is a great difference. The difference is in favor of influenza.

From WHO’s Tuberculosis and Air Travel: Guidelines For Prevention and Control, third edition, 2008

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143710/ posted:

No cases of TB disease have so far been reported among those known to have been infected with M. tuberculosis during air travel. From 1992 to 1994, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), together with state and local health departments, conducted contact investigations for seven index cases, involving one cabin-crew member and six passengers with infectious TB disease who had flown during this period. The concern was that the closed aircraft cabin environment may have facilitated transmission of M. tuberculosis (6–11). The total number of potentially exposed passengers and cabin crew exceeded 2600 on 191 flights involving nine different types of aircraft.

All index cases were identified as highly infectious, i.e. smears from spontaneous sputum specimens from all index cases were grossly positive for acid-fast bacilli (AFB) and all were culture-positive and had evidence of extensive pulmonary disease on chest radiography. In addition, one patient had biopsy- and culture-confirmed laryngeal TB, the most infectious form of TB.

Strains of M. tuberculosis resistant to isoniazid and rifampicin, i.e. multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB), were isolated in two of these episodes (6, 10). Organisms isolated from the other index cases were sensitive to all anti-TB drugs. Two passengers, who were flying to the United States for medical care, knew that they had active TB disease at the time of their flights but did not inform the airline of their status. In the other five instances, TB was diagnosed after the flights.

Investigation of close contacts found evidence of transmission of M. tuberculosis infection during a flight in only two of the seven episodes. In one event, transmission from a cabin flight attendant was detected in 2 of 212 crew members who had worked in close proximity with the index case during a 6-month period; both of those infected were exposed to the infectious source for at least 12 hours. In the other event, there was probable transmission from an infectious case to 4 passengers (seated in close proximity to the index case in the same cabin section), out of a total of 257 passengers tested on a flight longer than 8 hours (6, 10). These results suggest that the risk of infection with M. tuberculosis during air travel is similar to that associated with exposure during other activities in which prolonged contact with potentially infectious individuals may occur (e.g. train or bus travel, any gathering in enclosed spaces).

The average lifetime risk of untreated latent TB infection progressing to active disease at some time during life is <10% and not all persons infected as a result of exposure during air travel may receive effective preventive antibiotic treatment. Therefore, although no cases of TB disease have yet been reported among the infected contacts in the seven studies carried out by CDC, the possibility that future cases of TB disease due to TB infection acquired during air travel may occur cannot be excluded.

Subsequent published case reports of other instances of infectious TB in passengers on long-haul flights (12–16), reviewed in 2005 (17) and with a further case presently under investigation (18), have also suggested that the risk of transmission of infection on board appears to be low. According to an international airline analysis of in-flight TB on long-haul flights, 34 cases of infectious TB were notified to the airlines during a five-year period (2000–2004), giving an overall notification rate of 0.05 per 100 000 long-haul passengers (19).

And from a 2016 review on doubly airborne influenza,

https://doi.org/10.1097%2FEDE.0000000000000438 posted:

We identified 14 peer-reviewed publications describing contact tracing of passengers after possible exposure to influenza virus aboard an aircraft. Contact tracing during the initial phase of the influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 pandemic was described in 11 publications. The studies describe the follow-up of 2,165 (51%) of 4,252 traceable passengers. Altogether, 163 secondary cases were identified resulting in an overall secondary attack rate among traced passengers of 7.5%. Of these secondary cases, 68 (42%) were seated within two rows of the index case.

Influenza has put up incredible numbers on planes before. Way back in 1979,

https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112781 posted:

A jet airliner with 54 persons aboard was delayed on the ground for three hours because of engine failure during a takeoff attempt. Most passengers stayed on the airplane during the delay. Within 72 hours, 72 per cent of the passengers became ill with symptoms of cough, fever, fatigue, headache, sore throat and myalgia. One passenger, the apparent index case, was ill on the airplane, and the clinical attack rate among the others varied with the amount of time spent aboard. Virus antigenically similar to A/Texas/1/77(H3N2) was isolated from 8 of 31 passengers cultured, and 20 of 22 ill persons tested had serologic evidence of infection with this virus. The airplane ventilation system was inoperative during the delay and this may account for the high attack rate.

It was under enhanced conditions, but no matter what, droplets cannot do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

[…]We don't know yet how quickly BA.2.86 is spreading or just how immune evasive it is because it's too early to tell. In general though it's a lot harder for our immune system to recognize and mount a quick response, whether it be from prior infection or vaccination or both, when a new one looks this different.

I'm like totally uninterested in EG.5.1/Eris now because of BA.2.86. EG.5.1 is one of many heading up our current wave but I'm looking past that at what will likely be the one after it.

A fifth case has now been found, in London.

Would anyone offer an opinion that BA.2.86 is anything other than the most interesting and concerning strain identified since Omicron in November 2021?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Remember when that scientist said that with the continuing evolution of the virus, we would see a major Omicron-like shift in the virus about every 3-5 years? Lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

Remember when that scientist said that with the continuing evolution of the virus, we would see a major Omicron-like shift in the virus about every 3-5 years? Lmao

That was Pacific Rim

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/shay_fleishon/status/1692531498576916878

Tl;dr: the guy who I think spotted this one thinks it no longer qualifies as Omicron.

make sure you get your swab technique right more then ever, with this sort of highly derived variant you want to get it done as correctly as possible to get good results.

https://twitter.com/DrEricLevi/status/1473185815597510656?t=h8U2Lbu8DG5sS4cf8nvwoQ&s=19

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

“not worth panicking at this stage”

:airquote:

ibid has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Aug 18, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/shay_fleishon/status/1692531498576916878

Tl;dr: the guy who I think spotted this one thinks it no longer qualifies as Omicron.

make sure you get your swab technique right more then ever, with this sort of highly derived variant you want to get it done as correctly as possible to get good results.

https://twitter.com/DrEricLevi/status/1473185815597510656?t=h8U2Lbu8DG5sS4cf8nvwoQ&s=19

I hate elong so loving much the goddamn blue check "click link to show more" thing reloads the loving thread each time to focus on the one tweet, and hides the others so you can never just read everything at a glance.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
he really is a miserable little poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

this ain't Black Rock City.... it's Salt Lake City!!!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There's also some potentially very bad news on the influenza front:

:byodood: posted:

Phylogenetic analyses further suggest that several introductions from birds to the fur animals may have taken place but are also consistent with possible transmission among the fur animals themselves and potentially even between species. Transmission between fur animals is also supported by the general epidemiological pattern of several hundreds of sick and dead animals on the 20 farms (mortality on affected farms has been 2–4 times the normal rate and, at the peak of the outbreak, a large farm recorded almost 400 deaths in one day, which is 10 times the normal rate). The exact mechanism of the transmission within and between farms is, however, not yet known. Some evidence for adaptation to replication in mammals is evident, as the PB2 gene E627K change was detected in samples from one farm and the T271A change in a sample from another farm.
https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.28.31.2300400

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

There's also some potentially very bad news on the influenza front:

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.28.31.2300400

*throbbing Adam Curtis movie bass synth jabs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekly Australia update: hospitalizations dropped again, 6.2% lower than the previous week.

Twitter source
The usual caveats apply: every state has different covid hospitalization reporting criteria, etc etc

Deaths are also down but the reporting there is super fucky. Here's a great example why: the entire state of Queensland (which has the third highest population of all Aus states) stopped reporting the exact weekly number of covid deaths a while ago and now they're only reporting the average of the reported deaths which occurred the previous week. But quite a lot of deaths take longer than a week to get reported and they apparently don't post updates so more than half of their covid deaths might be hidden by that lag

Twitter source