Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Poppers posted:

Droplet vs airborne is a real distinction in medical practice lol but in reality covid positive cases have been treated as airborne for the entirety of the pandemic

it's not a real distinction in the thermodynamics of water droplets and evaporation let's see who wins in another exciting round of "we've always done it this way vs. the universe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rosalind posted:

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Request to Nebraska DOEE sent.

goon project: everyone request the data

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’ve read through the thing Imani barbarin references and it should be noted that it says private equity was getting into disability care years before the pandemic, and with a focus on autism/behavioral/developmental care

I’m not sure why she references that when retirement homes making people sign over their houses seems like a more relevant stripping of wealth

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Aug 18, 2023

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Greg Legg posted:

It's just me and about 2 other people wearing masks where I work now. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but at least around here no one has ever given me poo poo for wearing a mask.

Ditto for me, I mask and one other labmate masks (still uses Powecom from when I gave her the link to them back in late 2020 :3:). There's another person who also regularly masks but they're in a different lab and I think part-time.

Sometimes I see an increase in masking when people come in sick. While I wish they'd wear one more regularly, I am incredibly thankful that, at least in my little corner of the world, it's been somewhat normalized to do.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The plot thickens somewhat:

quote:

Good morning,

I apologize, I understood your request to be for general wastewater data, which is under the purview of Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy. However, after viewing the link to the article you included, I realized you were looking for wastewater surveillance data. I will forward your request to the appropriate program for a response.

Thank you,

My email was titled "COVID Wastewater surveillance data request" but ok.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
the appropriate program is the recycle bin

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Good news guys! The CDC updated its variant sequencing data today. It's very helpfu...oh

I guess that is ok though - because the CDC updates its main wastewater data on Thursdays at 8pm. SEE!

Goddamn it

No worries though! Hospitalization Data is always updated on Friday mornings! gently caress

Ahahahahhah

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am now very curious to know if there was this kind of information control during the 1918 flu in america.

edit: actually scratch that, I'm curious to know how the government suppressed that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

Be kind they have long covid

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I am now very curious to know if there was this kind of information control during the 1918 flu in america.

edit: actually scratch that, I'm curious to know how the government suppressed that

People didnt have that sort of information available to them until Al Gore invented the internet.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rosalind posted:

nexous posted:

the appropriate program is the recycle bin

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rosalind posted:

I wonder how many rounds it will be before they finally silent treatment you.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Aug 18, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

SardonicTyrant posted:

lol

quote:

So, when the 1918 Pandemic began to spread throughout the US, most authorities used the influenza’s spread as a justification for the continued usage of widespread censorship. The Public Health Commissioner of Chicago once stated, “Worry kills more people than the epidemic”, a sentiment held by many other US public health officials.

Furthermore, few contradicted the official line held by the federal government due to the restrictive measures put in place on speech and because Rupert Blue, the US Surgeon General, had said there was nothing to worry about.

https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/co...d%20censorship.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Nationally

The Period Ending 7/22

Top 5 five Variants
XBB.1.5: 16.9%
XBB.1.6: 15.6%
EG.5 12.5%
XBB.2.3 10%
XBB.1..6.1: 6.7%

The Period Ending 8/5

EG.5 16.1
XBB.1.6: 13.3%
XBB.2.3 11.1%
XBB.1.5: 8.6%
XBB.1..6.1: 7.1% *Tie
FL.1.5.1 7.1%

The Period Ending 8/18

EG.5 20.3%
FL.1.5.1 13.3%
XBB.1.6: 10.7
XBB.2.3 10.6%
XBB.1.6.6%: 8%

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

However, the authorities’ attempts to suppress information only created immense distrust among the general public as they no longer believed what the officials were telling them. This ironically contributed to higher infection and mortality rates than if the public had followed the officials’ directions once they did start to acknowledge the pandemic’s seriousness.

wow no way

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

StratGoatCom posted:

I wonder how many rounds it will be before they finally silent treatment you.
This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

quote:

So, when the 1918 Pandemic began to spread throughout the US, most authorities used the influenza’s spread as a justification for the continued usage of widespread censorship. The Public Health Commissioner of Chicago once stated, “Worry kills more people than the epidemic”, a sentiment held by many other US public health officials.

Furthermore, few contradicted the official line held by the federal government due to the restrictive measures put in place on speech and because Rupert Blue, the US Surgeon General, had said there was nothing to worry about.

Sounds like the author wasn't listening to the Surgeon General and thus, to science

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

Do it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pillowpants posted:

Good news guys! The CDC updated its variant sequencing data today. It's very helpfu...oh

I guess that is ok though - because the CDC updates its main wastewater data on Thursdays at 8pm. SEE!

Goddamn it

No worries though! Hospitalization Data is always updated on Friday mornings! gently caress

Ahahahahhah

:rubby:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I like where this thread is headed.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

quote:

“Worry kills more people than the epidemic”
throughout history, Mental Health has been a concern

Pandemics: A Very Short Introduction posted:

In 1831, as cholera made its way through Russia, the anxious English awaited its arrival. Newspapers, pamphlets, and rumor spread fear of the disease. But Dr. James Johnson, editor of the Medico-Chirurgical Review, cautioned the press in a letter to The Times: “It will hardly be doubted that the terrible malady choleraphobia rages at this moment, epidemically, through every spot of the British Isles. . . . The choleraphobia will frighten to death a far greater number of Britons than the monster itself will ever destroy by his actual presence.”
it seems to be something of a pattern

UK Parliament: Cholera in Sunderland posted:

In Britain, 32,000 people died of cholera in 1831 and 1832.
i can only assume that significantly more than 32,000 people died of choleraphobia, their names and dates of death tragically lost to the sands of time

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I thought COVID was a vascular disease? Why bundle it with respiratory diseases? Or is the grouping based on manner of spread?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

drat this is pretty good news to see systemic immune performance like this after the kind of disappointing ChAdOx1 result. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-023-00717-8

Maybe strong enough results to kick the US drug approval apparatus off its rear end and get intranasal vaccines approved and widely distributed here? Or at least a step in the right direction.

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Pillowpants posted:

Goddamn it

Ahahahahhah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CGI Stardust posted:

throughout history, Mental Health has been a concern

it seems to be something of a pattern

i can only assume that significantly more than 32,000 people died of choleraphobia, their names and dates of death tragically lost to the sands of time

it's funny how the absolute worst people are always very concerned about mental health, but never about physical health. it's almost like there's some kind of pattern

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

DominoKitten posted:

New variant found in Israel, Denmark, Michigan US now spotted in the UK

https://twitter.com/lukebsnell/status/1692437750207611042?s=20

After so much radio silence about Covid stuff recently, the fact this is being talked about so widely is a bit concerning

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

RealityWarCriminal posted:

how's Burning Man

A hurricane is on its way to the playa so currently pretty wet

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I thought COVID was a vascular disease? Why bundle it with respiratory diseases? Or is the grouping based on manner of spread?

There's no real definition I think. I personally started calling it a vascular disease in this thread in 2020 when it became clear that respiratory was the route of infection but not the whole story; I chose vascular because of all the heart attacks and strokes and DVTs and blood that just coagulated in the syringe during the first wave and all the doctors weren't too exhausted to be amazed. At this point I would call it a multisystem epigenetic disease with the way it up regulates and down regulates genetic expression and apparently fucks with DNA transcription. No one listens to me though, and further clarifying would scare people so we just don't bother updating it.

We started saying that in this thread because there were a number of healthcare professionals insisting a respiratory disease couldn't do the stuff COVID did and that THEREFORE the heart attacks and DVTs and hosed up livers and new-onset diabetes stuff were not caused by the infection. (???) Long story short, people think it's primarily a respiratory disorder because it has "respiratory" in the name. Literally because we called it that and the name stuck. It drives me crazy. This is how social reality overwrites material reality and makes it impossible to talk about anything seriously, it's kind of the same as the aerosol/droplet telephone game where people spend all their time obsessing about the words that are used rather than what's actually happening.

And that's how COVID became "just a cold".

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Rosalind posted:

Godspeed.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

No one has ever given me poo poo but I'm also a dude. A couple weeks ago some old lady yelled at my wife while she was walking to work but she feels a lot less self conscious than she did when she had to RTO so it didn't really bother her.

My wife is a petite asian lady and there was a decent sized wave of hate crimes against this group when trump played off covid as the "China Virus", including in our area. She's not chinese but of course that doesn't matter to chuds. Between her immunocompromised situation and that possibility of just getting assaulted in public we've had me mostly handle errands since the pandemic started. I sometimes get mild questions about still masking up in public in my p conservative area but obviously the kind of cowards that attacked women half their size aren't really itching to pick a fight with a big guy that works in construction.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

jetz0r posted:

it's funny how the absolute worst people are always very concerned about mental health, but never about physical health. it's almost like there's some kind of pattern

Hard not to notice that the concern begins and ends where the concerned party is getting annoyed, too. It's not one of those problems that you work on or solve, it's just kinda "hey shut up."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PoundSand posted:

My wife is a petite asian lady and there was a decent sized wave of hate crimes against this group when trump played off covid as the "China Virus", including in our area. She's not chinese but of course that doesn't matter to chuds. Between her immunocompromised situation and that possibility of just getting assaulted in public we've had me mostly handle errands since the pandemic started. I sometimes get mild questions about still masking up in public in my p conservative area but obviously the kind of cowards that attacked women half their size aren't really itching to pick a fight with a big guy that works in construction.

That is loving garbage, I'm sorry your wife has to experience that and the two of you have had to reorganize your lives around avoiding it even a little.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

The Oldest Man posted:

That is loving garbage, I'm sorry your wife has to experience that and the two of you have had to reorganize your lives around avoiding it even a little.

I was just sort of responding to the idea that "no one bothers people over masking", honestly I handle most the cooking/grocery shopping in our household anyway so it's not a super big deal but yeah considerations drastically change over stuff like this depending on who you are. I don't get much "harassment" over still masking but people do still point it out, mostly just small chat questioning. The way I've found to deflect it is just mentioning that I haven't had a cold since masking in public and if this minor inconvenience means never getting sick again I'll take it and p much everyone can relate to that, regardless of their political leanings on the whole covid situation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I never really get serious poo poo about my mask but I'm also aware that's in large part due to me being a middleaged white dude

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I was just sort of responding to the idea that "no one bothers people over masking", honestly I handle most the cooking/grocery shopping in our household anyway so it's not a super big deal but yeah considerations drastically change over stuff like this depending on who you are. I don't get much "harassment" over still masking but people do still point it out, mostly just small chat questioning. The way I've found to deflect it is just mentioning that I haven't had a cold since masking in public and if this minor inconvenience means never getting sick again I'll take it and p much everyone can relate to that, regardless of their political leanings on the whole covid situation.

Yeah, even if it isn't outright aggression the loss of access to the proverbial public square is pretty real. My own grief over this is that my partner has lost access to a large part of her professional community because of her own medical issues and need to avoid getting got and that community's generally deadset refusal to be inclusive or host any events that aren't orientated around eating inside at someone's house in a large enough group that doing it habitually even in a respirator probably wouldn't be a great idea even if sitting as the only person not eating in an n95 wasn't already a dogshit experience of social othering.

I can't say exactly which professional community this is because I don't want to dox myself but I will say that the situation is both extremely sad and deeply, deeply ironic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://m.timesofindia.com/life-sty...y/102771225.cms

one week pre-positive periods

anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who popped positive this month were symptomatic for a long time before they got a red line

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Aug 18, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've said it before but it really does matter for gender/stature a lot. I'm a smaller woman and ive definitely had a few odd run ins including at work.
That being said, only like 3 times in 3 years but Im also a home body anyway and have basically skipped a ton of events and professional stuff because i'd just rather not.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

Don't worry about it.

Can I see the data?

...No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Nothus posted:

Don't worry about it.

Can I see the data?

...No
It pairs nicely with

"We are going to rely on vaccines to get us out of this."
"Can I have one?"
"No."